Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    sda said:

Unfortunately this is typical around 4:30 pm, gridlock on I-77S. It takes me an hour and 20 minutes to travel 28 miles home .

Oh yeah, good old I-77. I traveled that road going North and South when I drove back to the Burgh for visits when I lived in SC. It didn’t matter what time of day I drove that road it was always bumper to bumper traffic due to construction. Although North bound was worse.

Have they finished construction yet?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Had my first physical therapy appointment today for my BPPV vertigo. Nice enough guy who said he can help me. Did a bunch of tests and found out it's effecting both ears, mostly on my left though. The last exercise he did made my whole body go into dizzy mode and if he hadn't been there to help me, I would've passed out on the floor! The whole place was spinning and all I wanted to do was collapse. He must've seen what was going on and grabbed me and brought me back up to a normal sitting position where eventually, it went away. Man, it sure shook my world for a bit. Had me sit with heating pads at the end due to my spinal issues, this really took a toll on them, but it must be done to cure me of the dizziness. After I was done, sat in the lobby for almost 1/2 hour as I didn't think I should drive quite then. Took the slow route home and all was fine.
    Go back twice next week and think the script called for 3 weeks of pt. Have a feeling if it's still going on, my doc could give me some more weeks at pt. The pt guy did say he could cure this so was glad to hear as I don't want to go through this for any longer than I need to!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    I’m a big believer in PT after I had to rehab a frozen up shoulder that I thought would need surgery. If you have a high pain tolerance you can reall see some results.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

I am still in Florida. This morning I saw a F-150 pickup truck that was pretty rusty, the rear bumper was all rust. The rest of the truck was white but looked pretty shabby. There was advertising on the truck.....swimming pool care. Fair enough, but I couldn't help thinking, if that's the way the guy keeps his truck, how much care would he give to my swimming pool? The truck wasn't this rusty, but it was the closest I could find as an example;

The only explanation is he drives the truck into the pools to give it a real cleaning with a bumper attachment. Pool chemicals are known to attack pickups. No one can accuse him of not sacrificing personal possessions for his job. :o

jmonroe
    So he just throws himself right into his work...maybe he is a dedicated pool maintenance guy after all!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

Unfortunately this is typical around 4:30 pm, gridlock on I-77S. It takes me an hour and 20 minutes to travel 28 miles home .

Oh yeah, good old I-77. I traveled that road going North and South when I drove back to the Burgh for visits when I lived in SC. It didn’t matter what time of day I drove that road it was always bumper to bumper traffic due to construction. Although North bound was worse.

jmonroe
    They have north of the city but I believe some are toll lanes. With all the rapid growth in the past decade, even with the widening of lanes, traffic is worse than ever.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    Had in office surgery to remove some BCC. Told my wife too bad it's not Halloween, I could go as Jack Nicholson in Chinatown. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

Had in office surgery to remove some BCC. Told my wife too bad it's not Halloween, I could go as Jack Nicholson in Chinatown. :p

My dermatologist loves zapping people with liquid nitrogen. He asks if he can zap a few spots and before you can answer he starts zapping......and then I have brown spots on me and I am going out somewhere. :#

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

I am still in Florida. This morning I saw a F-150 pickup truck that was pretty rusty, the rear bumper was all rust. The rest of the truck was white but looked pretty shabby. There was advertising on the truck.....swimming pool care. Fair enough, but I couldn't help thinking, if that's the way the guy keeps his truck, how much care would he give to my swimming pool? The truck wasn't this rusty, but it was the closest I could find as an example;

Maybe he is so good he has way too much business and doesn't have the time to keep cleaning his truck.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

Maybe he is so good he has way too much business and doesn't have the time to keep cleaning his truck.
    There's that saying about if you want something done - give it to a busy person. I think it is true....if he is really busy, and he really cares about his business, he would have to much pride to drive around in a rusty truck. He could be starting out.....but a rusty truck is not a good sign of good work.

@driver100,
    The regular derm zapped a spot last month. This was surgery with stitches.
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

There's that saying about if you want something done - give it to a busy person. I think it is true....if he is really busy, and he really cares about his business, he would have to much pride to drive around in a rusty truck. He could be starting out.....but a rusty truck is not a good sign of good work.
    It's pretty much like the two barbers question. You need a haircut and there's two barbers in town, One with a real nice haircut with a well kept barber shop, and one with a pretty crappy haircut in a barber shop that does need some cleaning. Which one would you go to for a haircut?

If the pool guy is busy he may not have enough time to properly clean his truck especially since some of those chemicals can really do damage in their concentrated state.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

I had the same, last week. No stiches; my dermatologist burned off the offending skin on my right forearm. It is strange to be able to smell the burning flesh but not feel anything.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

driver100 said:

Maybe he’s just starting out and he can’t afford the large capital expense of a pretty truck. None of my business vehicles looked much better than that.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

The only explanation is he drives the truck into the pools to give it a real cleaning with a bumper attachment. Pool chemicals are known to attack pickups. No one can accuse him of not sacrificing personal possessions for his job. :o

jmonroe
    So he just throws himself right into his work...maybe he is a dedicated pool maintenance guy after all!
    That’s what I said.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    sda said:

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe
    They have north of the city but I believe some are toll lanes. With all the rapid growth in the past decade, even with the widening of lanes, traffic is worse than ever.
    I thought only PA knew how to make traffic flow worse than when work started. Our tax dollars at work.

jmonroe
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    That would be considered making good time in metro Seattle!
    sda said:

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    sda said:

Back in 2011 I was faced with a similar commute, and I hated it, absolutely loathed it. So I moved. Problem solved.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    The pleasure of returning to the office! We are hoping to move in a couple of years to a more secluded area. Room for my wife to do her organic gardening, something she has tried in our current location with limited success. Hopefully a separate garage for me to have some toys. With real estate currently red hot, we are staying put.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @abacomike, hope your brother is stable, doing well.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@carnaught said:
    @abacomike, hope your brother is stable, doing well.

Yes, thanks Will, he is better. The neurologist wants an ultrasound of his neck arteries to help diagnosing the cause of his vision change. The CT-Scan of his head/brain was inconclusive. He might have suffered a mini-stroke when he coded.

His daughter flew into Jacksonville yesterday to help him out. His son, the cardiologist, is on the phone and computer daily with his doctors helping to diagnose the cause of the heart and vision problems. He is at a hospital in downtown Jacksonville.

2021 Genesis G90

@explorerx4 Oh, I see now....actual stitches. Not great for a weekend, especially if you plan on going somewhere.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

It's pretty much like the two barbers question. You need a haircut and there's two barbers in town, One with a real nice haircut with a well kept barber shop, and one with a pretty crappy haircut in a barber shop that does need some cleaning. Which one would you go to for a haircut?

If the pool guy is busy he may not have enough time to properly clean his truck especially since some of those chemicals can really do damage in their concentrated state.
    I know the guy could be starting out and he can't afford a better truck. Maybe he will work harder because he is building his business and he might be cheaper as he needs to get more new customers. Those are real possibilities. But, I think if you are looking for a pool maintenance guy you will likely choose the guy who takes pride in his truck....and if the real professional can keep his truck free of rust from corrosive chemicals how come the guy with the rusty truck can't do it?

For a new business to be really successful the owner has to have pride in his work...you have to be passionate about what you are doing. The chances are the guy with a rusted out truck doesn't have the passion for the job....he might but it isn't the image most people associate with quality workmanship. The guy who owns a $2 million home doesn't want a rusty pool maintenance truck parking in front of his home.

driver100 said:

Maybe he’s just starting out and he can’t afford the large capital expense of a pretty truck. None of my business vehicles looked much better than that.
    Yeah but you’re growing veggies in there so you don’t have to take them out of the ground then load them into your truck to get them to the farmers market. You save yourself a lot of work doing it that way.

Somehow I never thought you were that smart. B)

jmonroe
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I know the guy could be starting out and he can't afford a better truck. Maybe he will work harder because he is building his business and he might be cheaper as he needs to get more new customers. Those are real possibilities. But, I think if you are looking for a pool maintenance guy you will likely choose the guy who takes pride in his truck....and if the real professional can keep his truck free of rust from corrosive chemicals how come the guy with the rusty truck can't do it?

For a new business to be really successful the owner has to have pride in his work...you have to be passionate about what you are doing. The chances are the guy with a rusted out truck doesn't have the passion for the job....he might but it isn't the image most people associate with quality workmanship. The guy who owns a $2 million home doesn't want a rusty pool maintenance truck parking in front of his home.
    Aren’t most pools in the backyard? Some driveways are in the back of the house.

jmonroe
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

I’ve seen several pool maintenance trucks in Naples FL all rusted out from the pool chemicals.

I’ve seen several with stainless steel beds which seem to hold up better.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    mjfloyd1 said:

I’ve seen several pool maintenance trucks in Naples FL all rusted out from the pool chemicals.

New Ford F150's (since 2015) have an aluminum bed and fenders. That should hold up well against rust.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Really? How often do you go out and take a look at a tradesman’s truck? The only thing that would concern me is if he did the job right and the price was reasonable. I never understood paying more for fancy advertising or storefronts. Most of my go-to guys have rather modest establishments.

Are you concerned that your neighbors will think less of you if your pool guy isn’t all spiffy?

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Really? How often do you go out and take a look at a tradesman’s truck? The only thing that would concern me is if he did the job right and the price was reasonable. I never understood paying more for fancy advertising or storefronts. Most of my go-to guys have rather modest establishments.

Are you concerned that your neighbors will think less of you if your pool guy isn’t all spiffy?
    I'm not concerned since I don't have a pool....our community of 76 homes have a common pool by the clubhouse. Our maintenance company has trucks that look perfect.

In your business I don't think people saw your truck....I am just guessing. IIRC you had a stall at the market....you would be using your truck to bring food to the market to sell, the truck doesn't matter.

I see lots of pool maintenance trucks in this area and this is the first one that looked pretty scuzzy to me. I don't need fancy, I don't need showy, I don't need expensive, all I am asking for is a bit of pride in the way he presents himself.

When I started delivering books I had a 1992 Cavalier. I wasn't making money for the first year....I broke even, but I saw the business could work so I leased a 1995 JEEP for $330 a month. The JEEP was a good vehicle for delivering books, and it made me feel better and more positive about my business. I think if I had a rusty truck things might not have worked out as well. The JEEP gave me an incentive to keep it going. I'd call it investing in myself!

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Aren’t most pools in the backyard? Some driveways are in the back of the house.

jmonroe
    Pools are usually in the backyard, but most trucks can't drive around the house in the city. They park on the street and carry the stuff around. If the pool guy doesn't care about or take pride in how his truck looks....the tools of his trade, I doubt he is going to care what kind of care he gives to looking after a pool. We had a pool guy at our community pool who drove up and did nothing....they caught him on video and they got rid of him. Actually, his truck was OK - but it was a company truck, but......he had no pride in the job he did.

henryn said:

mjfloyd1 said:

New Ford F150's (since 2015) have an aluminum bed and fenders. That should hold up well against rust.
    Then you would have to deal with corrosion. One isn’t much better than the other once you start playing with chemistry. Stainless steel is the best way to go but you might not be able to afford that pool guy.

jmonroe
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    some PUs now have composite beds. Those aren't going to be rusting!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    $75K for a Golf R..... not as bad as $6/gallon gas.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934

@stickguy said:

And if you have an accident, you can just print a new one at home! I wonder how many spools that would use up on my 3D printer. Hmmmm…

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    stickguy said:

Tacoma

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

I didn’t know that. Which manufactures offer those? That would be great for pool guys. Then again, spray in bed liners would probably be better, cost wise.

jmonroe
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@henryn said:

I wonder how the paint would hold up to the pool chemicals though????

@driver100, when my parents had a pool at their home in S. Florida, my dad caught the pool guy putting water in the pool instead of chemicals, then questioned him with intensity. The guy responded that he was putting in “nice fresh water” as if that justified it. Needless to say he was canned on the spot.
    edited March 2022
    @abacomike, with your brother’s visual deficits, was he checked for a retinal detachment? I’m glad that he is doing better though.
    carnaught said:

@driver100, when my parents had a pool at their home in S. Florida, my dad caught the pool guy putting water in the pool instead of chemicals, then questioned him with intensity. The guy responded that he was putting in “nice fresh water” as if that justified it. Needless to say he was canned on the spot.

But do you trust the guy giving your tires a nitrogen fill to not just fill them with ordinary low class air?

@oldfarmer50, in answer to your question….nope.

carnaught said:

But do you trust the guy giving your tires a nitrogen fill to not just fill them with ordinary low class air?
    I would trust him to put in at least 78% nitrogen.

carnaught said:

Carnaught....Did he drive a rusty truck? Somehow, cheating customers catches up with these guys. If they cheat in business, they can rip people off for a while, but slowly they lose customers and their business goes downhill. I have seen them fail often, a successful business is built on excellent service, trust, honesty and pride in doing a good job. Anything less is just going through the motions to make a buck.

carnaught said:

All you have to do is smell it, then you’ll know.

jmonroe
    do you want a worker with a super fancy new truck? Somebody has to be paying for that!

edited March 2022
    speaking of gas, went out today for the first time all week. Closest Wawa is down quite a bit. I think at least 25-30 cents.

Wow Wawa.
    They are everywhere down here. I never get gas there though. Not usually one of the cheaper ones, and not top tier.

I have never had one but lots of people rave about Wawa's sandwiches.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    edited March 2022

@explorerx4 said:

Decent sandwiches and better than most any other chains (other than Primos) but still no where near as good as an independent shop in NJ.

@stickguy
    I almost exclusively use Wawa gas. Pricing is usually decent and I’ve never had any problems. Of course then there is my cousin who filled his brand new Silverado 2500 Diesel from Wawa that had unleaded in the diesel tanks. That cost them a pretty penny

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Just don’t try to buy beer there in PA.