Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Have you recently used your tax refund (or are you planning on using your tax refund) toward the payment of a new or used vehicle? Or, are you planning on using your tax refund toward any expenses related to your car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Are you the parent of a generation Z child (born in the mid-1990s to the early 2000s)? Do you have differing opinions on the importance of buying a car, what types of vehicles you're interested in, or just how you view cars in general? If so, a reporter would like to speak with you and your child. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Edmunds Members - Cars & Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 12,130
    andres3 said:

Need the Wisdom of this Forum to come through on these new topics:

1) Did you hear/read about the story of the grieving parents suing Tesla for quote "making an unreasonably unsafe car" that their son crashed at 116 MPH and then it burned up in flames (fatalities). Tesla's defense is that gasoline cars still have a higher rate of fire than their batteries do, and that no car would allow you to survive a crash at 116 MPH (similar crash). Apparently the tech removed the speed governor the parents set at something under 116 MPH. Seems like a frivolous case to me.

2) I took the worst medical/dental advice of my life just before the Holidays. I let a Dentist sell me on getting rid of a 20 year old filling and getting a new crown ($200 off today only; it's the last day! ACT TODAY) salesmanship was used, along with fear mongering (if you wait to treat it the decay will get under your filling "gaps" and cause you to need a root canal. Well, I went ahead with the recommendation to fix what wasn't broke (at least according to me; no pain, no issues with the filling). It has been A BIG pain ever since, and pains in my mouth go straight to my brain and cause headaches. Ibuprofen is like magic on this type of tooth/crown pain, but I've been having to take it for a long time, which isn't good for you. Once I decided I was going to waste 3 hours in the dental office to save $200 on a fine Friday afternoon, they added at the very end "by the way, 10% of these fail." I was shocked at the extraordinarily high 10% failure rate for something that costs 4 figures (insurance only covered 33%, so still 4 figures). However, they told me so late in the game my mind was already made up, and I was committed to getting it over with. One of the biggest regrets of my life. Since then, I've had the bite adjusted 3 times. Wishful thinking. It is still hurting (though not quite as bad), and sensitive painful to cold and hot, and pressure (when eating). One x-ray picture might show the crown isn't properly cemented adhered, but that information didn't come from my dental Office. All I know is in 2 weeks I have an appt. with the other dentist in the office to talk about the solution, a root canal. Seems like I've gone down a rabbit hole. I feel like I was given medical/dental malpractice bad advice, and should become rich from this in a lawsuit. However, this is a big office that makes you sign 5 things electronically every time you visit; probably an uphill battle.

I went to a cut rate national dental chain for a root canal once and got the laundry list of services upsell. I said in no uncertain terms to only do the one root canal. After the Novacane wore off I discovered that against my wishes they capped the adjacent tooth as well. I told the dentist I considered this malpractice and never went back.

2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,463
    ab348 said:

I think it is because of the small angle that the road on the other side takes. Naturally it causes lots of problems since this is a busy spot.

That's exactly what it is, and is a sure sign of people doing pretty much anything other than actually driving! During winter here (when the lines are not completely visible), people are absolutely horrid in their lane discipline. Even though you can still see the lines on the road as they peek out of snow covering where drivers pilot there vehicles poorly, they still refuse to use any lane discipline.

I actually have people honk at me regularly for using the lanes instead of wandering all over the road with the rest of them. In this case, I love to disappoint them, because I have too much respect for driving to be willing to fall into their undisciplined ways.

The worse in this is when they will park half-way in a left turn lane and half in the straight (intending to go straight), which then triggers the left dedicated signal light so that everyone has to sit around waiting on nobody turning. OR, there IS someone wanting to turn, but they cannot go because doofarse is blocking the lane. I really, truly, do not understand the mindset.

And, all this driving stuff is making me sad because we're not using the Inconsiderate Drivers thread! ;)

2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup

When I taught my niece to drive the last thing I told her before her road test was to square her corners. She passed on the first try and the examiner complemented her turns.

I used to have issues with "cut corners" by other drivers all the time at on intersection in particular. The painted lines demonstrated the appropriately squared turn, but people still cut them (and frequently took out the front end of vehicles waiting to make a left). When the lines were last painted, they were actually painted with the crap-turn in mind, along with the "stop line" for the left turn lanes painted a car-length back from the crosswalk.

While furious, I just laughed and said, "OMG, look at that! Even the traffic engineers gave up!"

Since then, the entire intersection was redesigned and dumbed down to *try* to keep up with the rapid mental deterioration of the driving populace here.
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 9,275
    edited January 11
    stickguy said:

That intersection will be vastly improved by painting dotted lane marker lines through it until you get to the normal lanes on the other side. I can see with the curve how some people might just straighten it out otherwise.

Myself and many others have suggested that to our municipal alderman, who bounced it to the municipal traffic engineers, who are supposedly doing a study. That will probably take several years and odds are they will come back with a "no".

It is tempting to go there around 4AM some summer night with a narrow paint roller and do it myself.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 1,301
    carnaught said:

@tyguy, did you buy rather than lease?

Hi Carnaught. I've actually never leased a vehicle, and with Tesla currently there are no leasing options. In a few years we'll turn over the Outback to either our daughter or my mom, and we'll go 100% EV at our home.
    Tesla Model 3, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2013 Audi A4
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,026
    edited January 11
    I take a left at a light onto a road with 2 lanes in each direction.
    If possible, I just get into the far right lane right away.
    If there is another car turning the same way they usually pass me, so I figure I'll make it easier on them.
    Then, when they are stopped at the next light, when I get there I can just roll through since I have it timed.
    If I take a right, I definitely get into the right lane when making the turn.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    When I was in Morgantown, West Virginia, in 2011, I found an interesting phenomenon: They had vertical lines in many of their intersections! In this, I mean that where the painted lines are normally found, they instead had same-colored mini-pylons in close proximity that were about 30" or so tall. The design, I imagine, is that these keep traffic in the correct lane through the distance of the intersection.

Seems like a bit of a maintenance nightmare, TBH. I strongly suspect that drivers here would likely just run them all over after the first snowfall "because they were down the middle of the lane." B)
    When did dealership become tax experts?

Just saw an ad from J D Byrighter (don’t know if that’s a national chain) which stated: “bring in your pay stub and we’ll estimate your refund”

How accurate would you expect a car salesman to be?

2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 22,939

This is one of my pet peeves and one that too many drivers do. It’s lazy driving and it’s getting to the point where for my own safety I’m thinking of starting to do myself. Why obey the traffic laws when everyone else is ignoring them?

Having taught high school driving that stupid, lazy, thoughtless move really irritates me. Now, what I do is turn and go into my proper lane but, I watch the guy behind me in my rear view mirror.......if he tries to skirt around me by going into the right lane then I straddle the dotted line enough so he can't get by, then I move into the right lane in front of him. If he stays in the left lane I signal and move over first chance I get.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

ab348 said:

This is one of my pet peeves and one that almost every driver on the road today does. It’s lazy driving and it’s getting to the point where for my own safety I’m thinking of starting to do myself. Why obey the traffic laws when everyone else is ignoring them?

My older brother who is in his 70s and has been driving for over 50 years (even raced sports cars on road courses back in the day) was unaware of this rule of the road. I learned this recently when he recounted a story of seeing a police car pull over a lady who did exactly what you describe, left turn into the rightmost lane. I told him what I thought was the reason for it and he was astounded. "But I've always done that! It is the most efficient way to get into the lane you should be in!". It was hard to make him understand why it could be a problem.
    One reason it is a problem is because a car going in the opposite direction (South on that map) SHOULD be able to turn right when the other car is turning left. I don't do it, because too many morons go into the right lane - but, technically, you should be able to turn right when the other car turned left.

xwesx said:

The crazies were out again this morning. First, as I made a left out of a gas station a woman in a minivan doing twice the 30mph speed limit raced up and sat only a few feet from my bumper. Very aggressive. I assumed that when we both entered the interstate she would blast by on the left. Nope she flew into the left hand lane as we turned but then just loped along off my back corner. Fortunately, I exited a mile later and didn’t have to ponder her motivations further.

On the way home I made a left onto a two lane. As the law requires I turned into the closest (left hand) lane and then signaled to move right. The guy behind me turned left into the far right lane and tried to pass me on the right as I was moving over. I accelerated to avoid contact but so did the numbskull. It was as if he was trying to cause an accident.

This is one of my pet peeves and one that almost every driver on the road today does. It’s lazy driving and it’s getting to the point where for my own safety I’m thinking of starting to do myself. Why obey the traffic laws when everyone else is ignoring them?

Yes, this one is rampant. I do like you, and I flat out ignore anyone who does differently. So far, they have all yielded rather than risk an impact; at least they aren't completely lost when it comes to doing *something* correct on the road.

However, the one I find most annoying in this situation is when there are two left turn lanes, and the driver next to me fails to maintain his lane: Eg., I'm on the right, turning to rightmost lane (on the left), and the drive to my left also pulls into the rightmost lane, or I'm on the left and the driver to my right pulls into the leftmost lane. I think, "Seriously, people!!!! It is NOT THAT DIFFICULT!!!" Hahahha
    Difficult to see the little dotted lines when your roads have 10 inches of snow on them :p

I will say, if someone goes out of their lane that is one time I would lean on the horn....might make them think next time (though I doubt it).

@fintail,
    You mentioned looking at getting a G class.
    Here's your opportunity to get a Brabus really cheap. :)
    https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/ludlow-mercedes-brabus-g63-g55-grand/6792725690.html
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 63,010

@fintail,
    https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/ludlow-mercedes-brabus-g63-g55-grand/6792725690.html

I just read the ad and the entire story behind it. You know, if I was writing a horror novel, I'd use that ad for the first paragraph. "Oh, the G63 at the old Johnson place? Some say it got flooded. Some new people bought it, put a lot of money into it. The story about town is that it's haunted. You're gonna buy it, you say?"

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• berriberri Posts: 9,339
    edited January 12
    More than a few dentists are now in mass clinic settings focusing on upsells unfortunately. Also, more and more stuff is being done by dental technicians while the dentist deals with 4,5, 6 or more chairs each hour. So I'm not surprised.

Turn into wrong lanes is as common as the multi-lane, zigzagging interstate cowboys. Throw in our current gov functioning and we sometimes appear to be headed downward into a third world country :s
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,097
    xwesx said:

At the very least, you should have the bone graft done. The loss of a tooth will start a process of the bone in your jaw disintegrating, which just leads to more problems down the road. You're too young for missing teeth! :)

Really? Why would it disintegrate? They made no mention of that.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

@fintail,

Wow, $40k for 14 years old and flooded. What did it cost new?

Left the sunroof open? Probably in a hurricane and the gators chewed up the seats.

Just saw an ad from J D Byrighter (don’t know if that’s a national chain) which stated: “bring in your pay stub and we’ll estimate your refund”

They probably have someone who can estimate refunds....and then apply the refund to a new car. The scamsters are always thinking these days.

I take a left at a light onto a road with 2 lanes in each direction.
    If possible, I just get into the far right lane right away.

Not sure if it is illegal but it isn't proper. I don't think you would pass a drivers test if you did that explorer.
    The guy opposite you should be able to turn right when you re turning left....most rules are made to keep the flow of traffic flowing......not made so you can swing into whatever lane you want to get into.

@fintail,

Wow, $40k for 14 years old and flooded. What did it cost new?

Left the sunroof open? Probably in a hurricane and the gators chewed up the seats.

I love those G wagons but I don't trust this guy, just reading through his ad;
    1) I BOUGHT THE G63 NEWER VERSION THATS WHY IM GETTING RID OF IT
    Getting RID of it!

2)I'LL HELP U TO SAVE ON TAXES WITH THE GIFT FORM , TALKING ABOUT $3000 IN SAVINGS
    This sounds very illegal

3)I CAN ALSO HELP YOU GET A LOAN FROM CREDIT UNION THAT FINANCES REBUILT TITLE CARS
    Now it is a rebuilt car, and what credit union would take the chance?

Accurate enough to make a sale! :D
    edited January 12
    driver100 said:

Difficult to see the little dotted lines when your roads have 10 inches of snow on them :p

I will say, if someone goes out of their lane that is one time I would lean on the horn....might make them think next time (though I doubt it).

I am more patient about it when there are no reference points available, but 90% of the time it is just old snow/ice on the road. We don't get a lot of snow here; we just keep it a long time!

As such, there are clear areas where past traffic traveled and cleared the road. When those drivers were "off" in their alignment, lots, and lots, of lines are exposed on the road. So, current drivers really have no good excuse for NOT driving in the proper lane. Some may say that if they just follow the clearings, and so does every one else, then all is good. Well, not so much for the guy who breaks down or must make an emergency stop, and they don't have a shoulder to use because somehow it is now in the middle of a "lane."
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 22,743
    edited January 12
    I resisted comment on the opioids discussion. But one try. I'll stick to jmonroe's 150 word limit.

There are a lot of factors at work in how the _public_ views the opioid problem. The media generates one view because it gets people tuned in just like fires with pictures. The politicians discovered they could blame the drug manufacturers and even sue to get money, as our governor nee attorney general has done. So the politicians and media carefully craft a story for the public to think is correct.

My wife takes opioids for back pain. She has at a low level for years now. Back injections stopped working. The best back surgeon in the area won't touch her back now; 4 years ago he gave it a 50% chance of reducing her pain from the back if he did 4 fusions. The silly over emphasis on prescribing pills to someone who needs them has caused her doctor to have to see her every prescription of 60 pills. A year ago he could see her and then refill it one time within a month by paper prescription so she could go in every 2 months, IIRC. So there are extra doctor visits meaning she has to walk the long corridor and sit and wait. But the politicians are happy because they "fixed" the problem by requiring the doctors to log in every visit to see her score on the morphine scale or something like that.

A few years ago at the beginning of the politicans deciding they knew how to fix the problem, the pills prescribed went from 7.5 to 5.0 units of vicodin. So isntead of taking half a pill at 3.75 , she had to take a whole pill at 5.0 or half at 2.5.

But the politicians were patting themselves on the back.

Never mind that most of the heroin that starts people on the addiction comes across the southern border. To wit the drug wars of the cartels and the army in Mexico over who controls the flow. Never mind that the deaths started increasing from folks doping the dope with fentanyl and carfentanyl which tends to kill easily.

The politicians are happy they keeping the pills out of the hands of many folks who need them.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 9,971
    Going to Tire Plus tomorrow morning for a 4-wheel alignment and 2 front tires.  My left front tire is worn down through the outside  tread but the right front is not as badly worn.  The rear tires have about 5000 miles left on them.  The OEM tires were Pirelli’s but I am replacing the fronts with Goodyear’s.  The only run flats produced for my car are Pirelli or Goodyear.  No other manufacturer makes a tire for my 2018 S450.  I’ll put Goodyear’s in the rear when the Pirelli’s wear out to match the fronts.

They are charging me $634.50 out the door for the tires, balancing, calibration of the TPM and temperature sensors.  $90 for the 4-wheel alignment.  

The manager told told me that run flats that are low profile like mine last only 12,000 to 15,000 miles because they are performance tires.  My car has 10,000 miles on it but the fronts didn’t last very long because the alignment is not at factory specs causing unusual wear on the outside treads.  Oh well, live and learn.

2018 Mercedes S450

Well, if it was all bad, we would never have gone down the road. However, the correlation is, in this case, causation.

Frankly, I feel that people can put whatever they want in their bodies (as long as they don't come crying about it). It is the prescription via doctor vector that causes me concern, as patients put a high level of trust in the medical profession, and so are less critical in their decision-making process. As a result, they go and fill those prescriptions and ask no further questions.

In my experience (limited, thankfully), most opioid addictions today start with access to prescription pills, and most were NOT the named recipient of those pills. As you say, though, the ODs come from other cocktails; the pills just started them down that road.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 22,743
    Crowns.

I just had a crown put on by a local doctor act up. When he did it 4 years ago, he was very close to the nerve. He was worried I'd need a root canal. But it slowly got better. Just takes time in my case.

However, the doctor didn't shape it properly, so it started acting up. I was actually using a heating pad on my lower jaw. I looked like a toothache cartoon out of an old Saturday Evening Post. The old dentist allows his techs to do some work that he's supposed to do, which may violate Ohio law. My new dentist was out of office and his assistant said to take 4 ibuprofin (800 mg) and 3 acetaminophen tablets. And it did help. Both those are things to take short term only and take with food.

New dentist corrected the shape carefully after X-rays and testing the tooth and the nerve. A couple weeks later he readjusted it more when I was in for a cleaning. And now 4 weeks later tooth has finally quit hurting. The incorrect contact with the teeth above had finally caused the tooth to act up. The original shape was wrong.

My advice is be patient. Take some pain relievers to try to reduce the inflammation in the root.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

People were given no warning about the powerful addictive properties of opioids when they were first marketed to doctors. This was supposed to be a blessing, not a curse.

Reminds me of those old cigarette ads when smoking was presented as a "way to relax".

@abacomike,
    Your Mercedes dealer has treated you well. Did you get a price from them?

My advice is be patient. Take some pain relievers to try to reduce the inflammation in the root.

Great advice!

Now that I think about it, my crown did have fitment issues as well (my teeth are quite angular, while the crown is decidedly rounded, so getting even pressure on the prosthetic took a lot of trial and error). Even now, years later, it still flares up with pain on occasion if I happen to bite on something wrong. Mostly, I've trained myself to direct heavy chewing to the other side of my jaw (not all good, either!).
    When I got re-fill recently :p , the new filling had that "tin foil shock" for a couple weeks--but it went away finally, once the filling oxidized enough.

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,384
    I know not apples to apples. The GoodYear Assurance that came on my Accord lasted over 60k and I replaced them knowing I would need to in the next 10k or so took advantage of a Labor Day sale and a GoodYear rebate. I replaced them with Good Year ComfortTreds and they have 8/32 after 25k. Hard to believe your tires only last 10-15k. I thought run flats lasted to around 30k. Hoping you do better with the GoodYears. Good to hear from you, you’ve been quiet lately.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX