Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Have you recently used your tax refund (or are you planning on using your tax refund) toward the payment of a new or used vehicle? Or, are you planning on using your tax refund toward any expenses related to your car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Are you the parent of a generation Z child (born in the mid-1990s to the early 2000s)? Do you have differing opinions on the importance of buying a car, what types of vehicles you're interested in, or just how you view cars in general? If so, a reporter would like to speak with you and your child. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Edmunds Members - Cars & Conversations

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 9,971
    @snakeweasel‌ said:

"Great but you misnamed it, it should be "The forum about buying and selling cars where we talk about everything buy buying and selling cars." "

Snake, over the years on the SFTSF forum, we did talk about buying and selling. The problem is that we've all heard and read about those experiences and we have nothing left to post except when someone does buy a car or shops for one. :wink:

2018 Mercedes S450

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 14,658

@bwia said:
    Any thoughts?

A few years ago my sister would have been all over that. She was a rural route carrier for the post office and would have loved to have gotten another right hand drive truck.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@robr2 said:
    It's more than that - it's a 150% tax and each household is allowed to own only 1 car. There's also an annual road tax based on the vehicle size that ranges from $250 to $1600 a year. The goal of course is to reduce congestion. It's a tiny island.

Or they could do what Mackinac Island did and outright ban motorized vehicles.

Next month we are taking a long weekend and going up there with our bikes to tour the island.

@stickguy said:
    Speaking of rum, I still have a few bottles each of light and dark Goslings 151 rum in the basement. From my honeymoon. So quite aged at this point.

Hate to tell you this but once a spirit is bottled it stops aging.

• steverstever Posts: 52,683
    edited June 2014

We keep talking about going over there before we move from the UP in a couple of months. And we do drive right by the ferry docks when we go visit family in TN and VA that way (we're above da bridge). But, we didn't make it to Isle Royale either.

Once we move to NM, the plan was to buy a new downsized car, but the used van we just got is working out well so far. So who knows.

@abacomike said:
    Snake, over the years on the SFTSF forum, we did talk about buying and selling. The problem is that we've all heard and read about those experiences and we have nothing left to post except when someone does buy a car or shops for one. :wink:

Oh I am very well aware of that, but of late if we didn't talk about other things the forum we would be a long way from 100K posts on SFTSF forum.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 12,130

Well, I guess it's proof that they can go the distance but would you buy it?
    http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4509646903.html

2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 2,246

@abacomike said:
    ""SERVICE REMINDERS""

About a week ago, a message alert popped up on my screen which stated the next "A Service" was due in 170 days. There are 2 types of service - an A and a B. Then, today, another message popped up stating the next "A Service" was due in 4500 miles.

My question is why does it alert me in "days" to the next service and "miles" to the next service? Sometimes days, sometimes miles. Why not one or the other?

Any ideas about how this works?

I am inclined to agree with with *stickguy; its miles or days which ever comes first. This leads to another question, why MB does not alert you by email as GM does with OnStar? The OnStar report shows the status for a number of engine functions including telematics and tire pressure.

Speaking of service, I read the Buick Encore 24-month "free service" a little closer. It says a maximum of four free services in the 2-year period and it does not include air filters. Nice marketing gimmick that basically boils down to a few oil changes.

• ray80ray80 Posts: 1,655

@bwia said:
    Nice marketing gimmick that basically boils down to a few oil changes.

And tire rotations :)

• stickguystickguy Posts: 30,783

Farmer, the I6 is extremely durable engine. If you are willing to maintain the car ($$) right, no reason it can't go that far. Just have to replace the various valves and sensors (commonly known failure points) as needed, and keep up with fluids.

that particular car? Pass, with the body damage.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

@stickguy said:
    Farmer, the I6 is extremely durable engine. If you are willing to maintain the car ($$) right, no reason it can't go that far. Just have to replace the various valves and sensors (commonly known failure points) as needed, and keep up with fluids.

that particular car? Pass, with the body damage.

Durable engine or not it is still 15 years old with nearly 200K miles on it. That makes it a crap shoot regardless of the price, to much of a possibility that it would be a rolling money pit.

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 22,940

Cheerio from the ferrie from Wales to Ireland...4 hours!
    Wi Fi is on and off and days are long. I'll have to catch up when I get back...Mon June 30.

Richard I saw the post with your student who had a sign...10 items or FEWER. Probably the only grammatically correct supermarket in the USA!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,984

I think that I have spoken too soon. I mentioned that I was happy to be receiving an email alert when people post on this forum. Now I am receiving an email alert for every single post! This could turn into a nightmare on a busy day for my inbox. Is this happening to anyone else? My question is this: Can my account be alerted once a day like it used to be and, if not, how do I turn off the email alert for this site? I could just use my bookmark once or twice a day to check on posts here. Help!

Richard

I turned off the notifications. there were I believe different options (all new posts, replay to my post) but i don't need the emails. I just check in and see what is in the bookmarks.

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,855

Richard, I leave this site up 24 hrs along with a few others so that when I hit refresh, it goes to where I left off and I just scroll down. You don't need an email stating there are new posts...there will always be new posts. (especially when driver gets back from his vacation).

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 22,743
    edited June 2014

@sterlingdog said:

I mentioned that I was happy to be receiving an email alert when people post on this forum.

This is the page you need. Uncheck some of the notification boxes.

To get there, click on your username in the box at the right on every page.

Then click on "Edit Profile"

Then click on "Notification preferences."

Then uncheck the types of notication you don't want.

These are the ones I have checked:

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

edited June 2014

@sterlingdog said:
    I could just use my bookmark once or twice a day to check on posts here. Help!\

As long as you have clicked on the star at the top of "Buying and Selling Cars..." and it is yellow,
    this topic will show up in the your bookmarked list just like the "Stories from the Sales Frontlines"
    used to do (still does).

• sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,984

Thanks guys! What a help you are to a friend in need. I bragged too soon as well. I may have gotten here by myself and bookmarked the site correctly, but, as you can see, I still needed my poster buddies to get me straight. Thanks again!

Richard

edited June 2014
    "SALES EXPERIENCE"

My downstairs neighbor went to the Toyota Dealership yesterday and called me this morning to ask if I could get him a good deal on a new Camry. I agreed to accompany him back at noon this afternoon.

We met the salesman who worked with him yesterday at 12:15 PM this afternoon. The car he was looking at was a 2014 Camry LE 4 cyl base car with cloth interior. MSRP was $24,523 and the Edmunds Tru-Value price $21,523.

He wanted a better deal than the Tru-Value price. The dealer had offered to sell the car for $22,125 + dealer fees of $599. I showed him my old business card and told him we would buy the car right now for $20,000 including dealer fees + tax, tags and title fees.

After about 20 minutes, as expected, he returned with the manager. He introduced himself and asked if I knew what the invoice price of the car was. I responded $22,418, but Edmunds Tru-value price was $21,523. I told him I knew the 2015's were due out with a complete re-styling in a few weeks and that we were buying a car that would be worth thousands less because of the new model.

He asked if we would consider a red sedan, and I then said, in front of the manager, that we were on our way to an AutoNation dealership where I knew I could get my price. He relented and gave us the deal I proposed - $20,000 including fees +tax +tags + title. He drove his car home with me following in my car. Luckily he had no trade as he was selling his old car to one of the guys in the building next to ours.

I am sure he still made a few bucks because there are some great incentives available to the dealer to reduce their 2014 inventories.

The Edmunds Tru-Market Value pricing is a good start, but there are better deals out there if you know how to negotiate.

Now, one of my Dad's old golfing buddies wants me to help him buy a new Sonata. I figure what the heck - I have nothing else to do with my time and Dad appreciated my consenting to help one of his old cronies.

2018 Mercedes S450

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,202

@snakeweasel said:

Heck yes it can be too hot to have the top down!

It can be bad enough around here where 80 degrees is a heat wave but try driving top down in Phoenix in August! You won't have that top down for long!

I like the mornings and late afternoons the best but not when the sun is beating down on my head!

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,202

@abacomike said:
    "SALES EXPERIENCE"

My downstairs neighbor went to the Toyota Dealership yesterday and called me this morning to ask if I could get him a good deal on a new Camry. I agreed to accompany him back at noon this afternoon.

We met the salesman who worked with him yesterday at 12:15 PM this afternoon. The car he was looking at was a 2014 Camry LE 4 cyl base car with cloth interior. MSRP was $24,523 and the Edmunds Tru-Value price $21,523.

He wanted a better deal than the Tru-Value price. The dealer had offered to sell the car for $22,125 + dealer fees of $599. I showed him my old business card and told him we would buy the car right now for $20,000 including dealer fees + tax, tags and title fees.

After about 20 minutes, as expected, he returned with the manager. He introduced himself and asked if I knew what the invoice price of the car was. I responded $22,418, but Edmunds Tru-value price was $21,523. I told him I knew the 2015's were due out with a complete re-styling in a few weeks and that we were buying a car that would be worth thousands less because of the new model.

He asked if we would consider a red sedan, and I then said, in front of the manager, that we were on our way to an AutoNation dealership where I knew I could get my price. He relented and gave us the deal I proposed - $20,000 including fees +tax +tags + title. He drove his car home with me following in my car. Luckily he had no trade as he was selling his old car to one of the guys in the building next to ours.

I am sure he still made a few bucks because there are some great incentives available to the dealer to reduce their 2014 inventories.

The Edmunds Tru-Market Value pricing is a good start, but there are better deals out there if you know how to negotiate.

Now, one of my Dad's old golfing buddies wants me to help him buy a new Sonata. I figure what the heck - I have nothing else to do with my time and Dad appreciated my consenting to help one of his old cronies.

Wow, there must be a HUGE gap between invoice and MSRP on Toyotas or a ton of trunk money! Hondas never had that kind of room!

It's funny. People SAY they don't want to dicker that they just want a great price so they go through Costco, Autobytel, Tru-Value and the many others that have come and gone.

So, we comply with their wishes. " Here is the MSRP, here is our invoice and here is your Costco price" I can count the times on three fingers when they would say " Wow, that's a great stress free way to buy a car...I'll take it, Craig"

Nope, instead I would hear.." That sounds high...can't you do better" At that point I was in dangerous territory. I had given them a price to go shop all over the state.

Instead, I would say " If you have another number in mind and are committed to buy the car and drive it home today, I'll write that number down and run it by my boss"

If they wouldn't do that I would say.." According to Costco's rules that number is the MOST I can charge you...if you plan to shop my number at least give me the chance to respond...I'm not going to lose your business over a few dollars"

" I'll be back"

" Don't count the BE-Backs, count the Greenbacks"!

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 9,275
    edited June 2014

@abacomike said:
    We met the salesman who worked with him yesterday at 12:15 PM this afternoon. The car he was looking at was a 2014 Camry LE 4 cyl base car with cloth interior.

The question is: WHY? :)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

@ab348 said:

"The question is: WHY?"

WHY WHAT??????

I have no idea what you are trying to communicate!!!!!!!

2018 Mercedes S450

@ isellhondas said:

"Wow, there must be a HUGE gap between invoice and MSRP on Toyotas or a ton of trunk money! Hondas never had that kind of room!"

It's manufacturer to dealer incentives. If you look again at my post, there isn't much room between MSRP and invoice. The major money is from the manufacturer. I believe he had to give up some hold back to make that deal. They had over 75 Camry's on the lot, but not many stripped down to bare bones like the one he bought. Even with all the rain we had this afternoon, the showroom was extremely busy.

2018 Mercedes S450

@isellhondas said:
    Wow, there must be a HUGE gap between invoice and MSRP on Toyotas or a ton of trunk money! Hondas never had that kind of room!

Edmunds shows $1000 to customer if they don't take any reduced rate financing.
    So there must be quite a bit of hidden factory to dealer money as the end of the model
    year approaches.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 9,275

@abacomike said:
    WHY WHAT??????

I have no idea what you are trying to communicate!!!!!!!

Why is he buying the stripper base Camry?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

edited June 2014

Local screamer dealer is offering $4000 off on all 2014 VW GTIs. Is that good?

Not a VW guy but that sounds like a lot.

2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@imidazol97 said:

I like the part where it says: "notify me when people write on my wall"

I'd like the police notified. ;)

edited June 2014
    @ab348 said:

"Why is he buying the stripper base Camry?"

I wish you had asked that same question the first time you posted. I understand what "WHY" means now.

He uses the car for local shopping and errands only - doesn't go on the highway at all. They have always had bare bones Toyota Camry's and he keeps them for 5+ years. The one he sold to the guy in the next building was a base 2008 Camry with 17,000 miles on it. The guy gave him $9500 for it. It didn't have a ding or dent on it and was a tan with tan cloth interior.

The people who live here, for the most part, are in their mid 80's and have limits to their reflexes and sight. He doesn't want or need anything fancy.

2018 Mercedes S450

a base stirippo tan Camry is the perfect old persons car. heck, they all get driven that way anyway.

There are some serious deals on those I see advertised, so I can believe that deal. If my daughter actually needed a car to take (far) away to college in a few months, a cheap lease on one of those would probably be the winner (or an Altima).