Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

BMW Care & Maintenance

124»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    back seat---real pain in the neck...
  • Thanks so much! I think that we will just let the Pros handle this one. Again, we did get it started.
  • Hi All,

Could you please suggest me an Extended warranty for my 2003 BMW 525i with 26000 miles. My car has BMW manufacturer warranty till April 2007.

I got this car last week and I'm the 2nd owner of this car. I bought this car from a Non-BMW dealer. He is offering me to take 3rd party warranty from AUL corp (6years/100k/$0 deductible) for $1900.

and also I got some online quotes from Continental for "Protective Factory plus" warranty (6years/100k/$100 deductible)for $2000. Did anybody using Protective warranty?

As BMW is not offering any warranty after 4years/50k miles, Could you please suggest me of any reliable 3rd party warranty,

thanks in advance,
    RK
  • Im thinkng about buying a used BMW, 3 or 5 Series. No older than 1995 no newer than 1999. At the moment Im just doing some reserch. Not really knowing what to look for or what to avoid. I would appreciate any advice as to where the Pittfalls lay when considering a used BMW. Ive just been bitten by the BMW bug and Im trying HARD not to rush into anything. I havent even driven one yet but I like the way they look and Im a big fan of german engineering. Anyway any advice or comments would be great. Thanx In Advance
  • Well the 530i from that era is probably one of the best and most reliable BMWs ever made so that would be a good one to look for.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    repeat this mantra with any used BMW out of warranty...."low miles, low miles"......under 80K, preferably under 60K.

After 80K, if there was deferred maintenance, you're going to pay for it.
  • What did you determine was the best solution?
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for an extended warranty for a 2003 325i with about 34000 miles on it? My warranty expires next week and I want to continue with the maintenance (I found a deal online for $945 for 2 additional years for the maintenance), but not sure who is reliable for warranty.
    Anyone have any experience with purchasing either of these?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jen
  • cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    Jen, Who quoted you $945 for the extended maintenance program?? I'm in the market for that. I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide some info.

Because I purchased a CPO, I can't help much on your warranty question. I've seen a couple people write good things about Warranty Direct, but I personally would feel more comfortable buying an extended warranty directly from BMW.
  • I saw it on bimmerfest:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132955

But those guys stopped responding on-thread, so I went to my local dealer and told them I knew how much they paid for it (~$900) and they gave it to me for $100 over (as opposed to the $1700 retail they quoted me).
    I also got the warranty through them, but not sure if it's any better than from an external vendor (they charge $50 deductible).
  • cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    Personally, I would rest easier knowing I had the warranty thru BMW. Some 3rd-party warranty companies back in the 90's are no longer in existence. I'm guessing you know this, but just in case it wasn't stated to you, the $50 deductible applies for each visit, not for each item repaired during that visit.

Can I ask which dealer you used to purchase the Maintenance Plan? I might wish to check them out, just in case. Thanks!
  • edrnedrn Posts: 17
    I was quoted 2500 for extended warranty for my 2003 through Car Care Conncetion through BMW dealer. Does anyone know anything about them? Also quoted 1600 for extended maintenance waaranty. I'll wait until warranty is near to ending to negoiate with dealer.Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • I paid $100 (each) over what the dealer supposedly pays for the warranty and the maintenance for a grand total $2720 (I think invoice was something like $895 for the 2 year maintenance plan, and $1695 for the 2 year warranty through BMW).
    I got this at Kuni BMW in Beaverton, OR.
    They were a little crabby with me for doing my homework on the internet (I can't remember the breakout of the numbers, but I do remember thinking they wanted to charge me around $3700 for the two together (list price)), but I think they were ultimately fine with getting $200 for 10 minutes of paperwork!
    Good luck...
  • oops $1625 not $1695 (math is hard).
  • Hello,

A rock the size of a baseball kicked up and put a 50 cent piece size crack in my windshield. I lease the car from BMW financial. Do I need to have this replaced at the dealer for a much higher price or can I take it to an auto glass place? Is the qulaity the same? I ask because I have to turn the car in to BMW at the end of my lease and I can't turn it in with a bunch of non-BMW parts. Anyone have any experience with SafeLite windshield repair?

Thanks,

D
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    Have you checked with your dealer? Mine doesn't even do glass.. they recommend an independent.

Have you checked with your insurance company? In some states, there is no deductible for glass breakage.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mcmoodymcmoody Posts: 1
    Hi. Can you please tell me where on the internet you found the information regarding what the dealer pays for the warranty and maintenance programs? I'm in Washington DC and I'd like to present that same information to my dealer. Thanks!
  • thombermanthomberman Posts: 5
    Can you tell me what kind of gas should I use for my BMW 325i. Regular or Premium Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    Premium... 91 octane or higher.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,092
    For future BMW care and maintenance questions, please post in the particular model group. You can find them using the "browse by vehicle" to your left.
This discussion has been closed.