Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura MDX Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    tintintintin Member Posts: 19
    Hi:
    Just bought a 2005 Aspen White MDX - Touring w/NAV & DVD. :shades: I want to add the following:
    1. Satin Chrome Side steps
    2. Cargo Liner
    3. Cargo Cover
    4. Body Side Moulding (maybe??)

It seems that hondaacuraworld.com is cheaper than handaaccessories.com. But, the former does not give you the option to choose year and color (especially Aspen White).

Which site is better to buy from? Is bodyside moulding needed? Does it prevent dings?

Thanks... :)
  • Options
    fun6889fun6889 Member Posts: 27
    Does MDX comes with Floor Mats? I believe they do come with a set. If I have dealer install All Season Mats, I should get 2 set? Plesae let me know.. thanks..
  • Options
    qrtlowqrtlow Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2004 MDX Touring model and it has the Goodyear Integrity P235/65/17 set of shoes. I used to drive a 96 TL that I immediately dropped 2" with Eibach springs and went to a P265/45/17. The look and handling was dramatically improved. However I love the tall stance of the MDX and don't want to slam it with 22" rims and 45 profile wheel to go wider because dental fillings are expensive to replace when you hit pot holes.
    I want to get a wider look that I see on arch rival X5 Beemer owners with a fatter footprint. Any ideas??
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The MDX comes with carpetted floor mats.

You may want to buy them from a site like Hondacuraworld, the set is described on their page:

http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=08P13-S3V-20- - 0&Category_Code=AMDX

Highly recommended dealer (they're a Honda/Acura dealership's parts department).

You can also look at Weathertech mats.
  • Options
    fun6889fun6889 Member Posts: 27
    thanks for your reply. The dealer agreed to give me the all-season set for the same price from hondacuraworld.com, just making sure they are not selling me one set and taking the set comes with the car.
  • Options
    pittpapittpa Member Posts: 7
    Are the Caramel mats designed to go with the Saddle interior ??
  • Options
    carusercaruser Member Posts: 12
    I am thinking to add tow package to my 05 MDX. contacked two dealer in bay area, north california. parts and labor cost around $1300. parts from online is ~$650. anybody in northern california dealt with dealer for adding tow package, please share your experience. Thanks,
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Based on the instructions at hondaacuraworld.com...It looks like an easy job, however taking the front bumper off looks challenging and like a royal pain.

You might want to investigate buying it and have a local mechanic do it at a lower hourly rate?
  • Options
    davefromnjdavefromnj Member Posts: 10
    Interested if anyone has experience installing.....Looks complicated due to the airbag and radio wiring. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    progess88progess88 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone had any experience installing the fender flares, lower trim, or wood-grain steering wheel? I'm very handy with tools so I've already decided to install the side steps, tailgate spoiler, and body side molding myself. Any opinions? :shades:
  • Options
    leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    Anyone use the FormFit Air Deflector (as seen on hondacuraworld) for their MDX? If so, would you recommend it? Is it worth the $109 or can one get it cheaper elsewhere?

Don't really care for the Acura wind deflector, too big and requires drilling whereas this one sounds easier to install and is smaller.
  • Options
    rhawthornerhawthorne Member Posts: 6
    I purchased one from them in late May. It was shipped quickly, and packed well. I had no problems installing the deflector about 10 minutes from instructions to mounting...
  • Options
    ebs0303ebs0303 Member Posts: 6
    Thinking of getting side steps added & noticed there are a few kinds. Are there any advantages to any, or is it all cosmetic? Is installation easy? I may be purchasing soon, and have to decide whether to have the dealer do it or buy myself aftermarket and install myself. Anyone with experience, please post.
  • Options
    msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I'm only aware of one type of OEM Side Steps; although they do come in three different finishes - black, satin chrome, and bright chrome. I've installed the steps on two different MDX's - straightforward, but a lot of bolts. You can easily beat the dealers price on the internet (e.g. hondacuraworld).
  • Options
    Bought bodyside moulding, side steps (satin chrome), cargo net, cargo liner and cargo cover from Del Ray Acura in Florida. It was a great deal. Subscribe to their news letter and they send you a coupon code for an additional 5% off. Thier price was extremely competitive (better than H&A and hondaacuraworld). Also, shipping was less. Turnaround time was also very good. ordered on 12th, it was here on the 15th.

Manjula :shades:
  • Options
    ihor1ihor1 Member Posts: 4
    What's the difference between rear tailgate spoiler and rear tailgate deflector? If there is, which one is better?
  • Options
    Be prepared to reveal and deal with a dozen 8mm drill holes on the roof of your new rackless MDX. :(
  • Options
    If you don't get the cargo net, you will be buying one from Hondaacurawold.com for $35 bucks real soon. It was the second accessory after the tailgate spoiler I purchased. I was getting tired of re-bagging all my groceries when I got home. In the vertical position, you can slip about 20 grocery bags in the convenient "pocket" of the net. :shades:
  • Options
    Thinking of purchase and installing Xenon HID Kit conversion system on my '05 MDX. Has anyone done this? What is the best brand and price? Any thoughts, opinions...
  • Options
    The rear "Rear Spoiler" is a factory option. "Deflector" is a fabricated aftermarket that can be put on with 3M death tape. May as well bought a Pilot, they look the same. There are on-line retailers that will sell you one for a few bucks less than a factory bolt on but it looks lame in a side by side comparison (Parked next to one at a hotel over the weekend), It looks like a numbed flare, whereas the factory spoiler has about 6 1/2 inches of exstention off the roof line. Don't mess around with this upgrade, you've bought a high end SUV don't be cheap and settle for less with a budget spoiler. The install is easy, just follow the directions exactly, You'll be proud of yourself.
  • Options
    Be prepared to reveal and deal with a dozen 8mm drill holes on the roof of your new rackless MDX.

Not sure what you are talking about; I removed the rack from our old '01 MDX. The MDX roof rack attaches to threaded posts in a recessed channel on the roof - no holes at all. Once the rack is removed you will need to put channel covers on it - they are available at the dealership or thru online Acura parts stores.
  • Options
    jjnvjjnv Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I purchased a steel blue MDX last weekend. I will pick up the car next week. We have a Toyota Sienna for 7 years now. I do not recall ever using the roof rack. But I do not think I have ever seen a MDX without roof rack. How does that change the appearance of the car?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Jane
  • Options
    jjnvjjnv Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I have 5 more days to go before picking up my new MDX. I decided on the Chrome side step. My dealer will charge me $639 for it. I think it is about $500 order from Tim. Is it worth the hassle to install it myself giving this price difference. Is there any chance to mess up and end up with other problems?

Thanks,

Jane
  • Options
    leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    I just bought a Premium model (Premium models come sans roof rack) and we added a roof rack and running boards at the dealership. IMO, I think without at least a roof rack, it looks too much like a minivan. A roof rack makes it look more like an SUV and a rear deflector or spoiler would add a little sport to the mix.
  • Options
    kiefer1kiefer1 Member Posts: 7
    can the spacing between the roof rack bars be increased. thanks.
  • Options
    I bought the Satin Chrome side steps from Del Ray Acura for $499. And paid a local SUV accessory shop $60 to install it.
  • Options
    dean7dean7 Member Posts: 32
    Another question- I received side steps marked 2001-2004 on the packing slip but the seller told me that they are the same for 2005 and just haven't updted their packing slip #'s yet. Are 2001- 2004 and 2005 the same as far as the mounting? Thanks!!
  • Options
    The side steps are the same for all model years (the running boards are different however).
  • Options
    Thanks- so the "chrome side steps" are the same bolting pattern but not the long plastic side rails???
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean by side rails? Both the Side Steps and the Running Boards have the same bolting pattern (unchanged since '01); however the newer MDX have a slightly different shape to them. Early boards have a different physical shape than the later ones. All Side Steps are the same.
  • Options
    Understood- thanks greatly. I am more concerned about the bolt placement into the undercarraige of the MDX (2001-2005). Looks like its the same.
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    The premium MDX model w/out the roof rack - but with the rear spoiler - does not look like a minivan. It looks sportier and lower to the ground than an MDX with the roof rack! :-)
  • Options
    I posted about a month ago and got no threads about tire upgrades for the factory 17" P235/65/17 wheels. I noticed a 2005 4-Runner that had factory P265/65/17 tires on the 17" rim and it didn't look noticably wider, but taller. Has anyone heard of going with a wider tire to get a fatter footprint for the MDX? Or will this screw up handling, braking, etc, and tire pressure sending data? Any help appreciated.

Qrtlow :confuse:
  • Options
    Why do you want to increase the distance? Is it for a specific install, look?
  • Options
    tommyboy4tommyboy4 Member Posts: 7
    I am going to pick-up my '05 MDX Touring this weekend, and would like to also add an after-market trailer hitch. This hitch will simply be used to hold our bike rack.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what kind? I know of hidden hitch, but they have a disclaimer saying that it won't work with a full-size spare. Does the MDX have a full-size spare?
  • Options
    I have one on my 2002 MDX. No issues. The 2002 MDX doesn't have a full size spare, so I would think neither does the 2005.
  • Options
    I bought the cargo liner, cargo cover and cargo net. What is the order of installation?

I am assuming the order is liner, cover, net. Is that right?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Uh it doesn't matter. I don't even use the net or cover all the time.
  • Options
    rozborrozbor Member Posts: 8
    Goto http://truckparts411.com they charge $150 + $50 sh & hn.
    $200 an not bit this price
  • Options
    got a pair and they are a bit smaller (more narrow) and fit nicely. They can be put on facing both outwards (which the pix shows) or facing inwards (which I did and it looks much better - less like "exhaust pipes").
  • Options
    Thank you for reply. Hondacuraworld.com sells both - spoilers and deflectors. Parts numbers and price are different. Both parts described as genuine. What do you think about this?
  • Options
    carusercaruser Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I am planning to add an after-market hitch only (no transmission/steering coller) for bick rack. somebody mentioned in older thread that without cooler installed, warranty on transmission will be invalid. is that true?

Thanks,
  • Options
    ohpleaseohplease Member Posts: 3
    I would like to make a direct connection from the line-level outputs of an iPod to the sound system of a 2005 MDX/Touring/Nav w/o DVD. I don't want to use the FM modulators or cassette adapters.

Wiring and connectors are available for this purpose for nearly all modern vehicles EXCEPT MDX or any Acura with nav.

Does anybody know why this is?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Not sure about handling, braking, etc, and tire pressure sending data, but be prepared to pay more for gas. The wider tire - the higher gas consumption.
  • Options
    rvs2000rvs2000 Member Posts: 40
    if u bought the aftermarket dvd system, can u share the info. i just got black/saddle mdx w navi. i want to put aftermarket dvd?
    tx
  • Options
    i just got black/saddle mdx w navi. i want to put aftermarket dvd?if u bought the aftermarket dvd system, can u share the info.
  • Options
    i just got black/saddle mdx w navi. i want to put aftermarket dvd?if u bought the aftermarket dvd system, can u share the info.
  • Options
  • Options
    i just got black/saddle mdx w navi. i want to put aftermarket dvd/headrest monitor?if u bought the aftermarket system, can u share the info. tx
  • Options
    tx
This discussion has been closed.