Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• aeriohawaii1aeriohawaii1 Member Posts: 39
    In Hawaii I saw a 2005 with ABS, but it was Fully loaded with a Sunroof and they were asking Over $19,000. Kind of Expensive for a Korean car. That is in the price range for a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You could get a 4-cylinder Accord or Camry for that, but with minimal equipment, not loaded like the Aerio SX. And I'll bet the loaded SX was AWD, right? Not so the Camry or Accord. Still, $19k is pricey for an Aerio. I've seen Subaru Legacy wagons and Foresters advertised for that, and those are nicer cars than the Aerio IMO.
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    aeriohawaii1,

Thats is darn expensive for a Spectra. You're right its too expensive for a Korean car of the market segment that Spectra plays in even if it has ABS or not. Here in S. California I went to 6 different Kia stores looking for a Spectra with ABS and none to be found back in June/July.
  • aeriohawaii1aeriohawaii1 Member Posts: 39
    I was replying to the earlier message about the Kia Spectra. I paid $14,000 for my Aerio. A $19,000 Accord would be only a LX level, but it does have ABS and Side Curtain airbags.
    is the clack of the keyboards as the folks at HMA and Kia type up the rebate offers on the Accent and Rio/Rio5:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-04-200- 6/0004242628&EDATE=

It appears that the new Yaris will actually undercut the price of comparably-equipped Accents and Rios. So I predict when the Yaris rolls out, the big rebates will start appearing on the Accent and Rio/Rio5.
  • roysantiagoroysantiago Member Posts: 2
    From the philippines and just got my new Accent CRDi last Dec. 29, have been driving it with much enthusiasm. Went for a long drive on Saturday the 31st, registered 198 kilometers (about 123 miles), averaged 60-80km/hour (38-50mph)on the highway, refueled the car and guess how many liters were filled back in....7.34l! that's only 1.9gallons! damn, that economical.

I'm now measuring it on City Driving, and have travelled 110km so far (68miles) and the fuel indicator has barely moved...will keep everyone posted on the results.
  • zodiac2004zodiac2004 Member Posts: 458
    From the philippines and just got my new Accent CRDi last Dec. 29, have been driving it with much enthusiasm. Went for a long drive on Saturday the 31st, registered 198 kilometers (about 123 miles), averaged 60-80km/hour (38-50mph)on the highway, refueled the car and guess how many liters were filled back in....7.34l! that's only 1.9gallons! damn, that economical.

I'm now measuring it on City Driving, and have travelled 110km so far (68miles) and the fuel indicator has barely moved...will keep everyone posted on the results.

Stop making everybody in North America jealous. As you may know, we don't get high mileage diesels here.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    High mileage diesels don't seem as impressive when you are forced to pay 50 to 60 cents more per gallon than you would with regular fuel.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Why do you think the Yaris is going to undercut the price of the Accent? It is correct that an Accent with automatic and options package is about $15K, yes?

A Yaris S Sedan is $14K, but you need to add the Convenience Pkg, Side Curtain Airbags, and Destination. Combined, I think that will definitely push the price to about $15.7K, if not $16 grand. Still, I think $16 grand for a Yaris S with all that stuff isnt bad at all.

~alpha
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    so far I haven't heard anything about '06 Kia Rio sedan and '06 Kia Rio5 rebates. I'm planning on getting one of the '06 Kia Rio LX sedans, my local dealer has just received a Rio LX in Sapphire Blue with a 5-speed and a Rio LX in Silver with a 5-speed. They only want $13,055 and it's fully-equipped with what I want and need at that price. I'm thinking I like the sedan bodystyle better than the Rio5 "wagon" look.

Plus, I'll get the Kia $400 new college grad rebate. Now, $12,655 is very agreeable at that price, but if Kia is going to offer rebates as well, maybe even Kia Owner Loyalty rebates, I will perk right up and listen.

I'm gonna wait until early February to go inquire seriously.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

The Yaris LE sedan with automatic (more comparable to the Accent GLS than the Yaris "S" model IMO) goes for about $12.5k. Let's say $13k because I'm not sure the prices in that press release included destination. An Accent with that equipment (including A/C) goes for $14,600. But then you need to add side bags/curtains and ABS to the Yaris. I am betting those options will not come to $1600. I could be wrong, of course. Another way to look at it is that the fully loaded Accent, with power package, is about $15.3k. To match that, the Yaris LE sedan would need to offer ABS, side bags/curtains, and power package for $2300. I think that is in the realm of possibility.
    The Yaris won't ship until the end of February, so realistically I don't see those rebates coming on the Rio until at least March, maybe April. Why offer them before they need to?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    From what I understand, there is actually no CE and LE Yaris as orginally expected, but point taken. I still see the loaded Accent at 15.3K and expect the Yaris base Sedan with similar options (alloys, power accesories, ABS, fold down rear seat, side curtains, etc) to be more expensive. Should be interesting!

~alpha
    Let's see (add-on prices based on those of the Corolla):

Yaris Sedan with automatic: $12,550
    Destination charge: $ 580
    Side airbags/curtains: $ 655
    ABS $ 390
    Power package $ 470
    15" alloy wheels $ 499
    TOTAL $15,144

Accent GLS with automatic: $13,305
    Destination charge: $ 540
    Premium Sport package: $ 1,420
    TOTAL $15,265

And that assumes there is no package offered on the Yaris that bundles several options at a lower price. Even adding a little for a fold-down rear seat on the Yaris, it's going to be close. And with Toyota's historically better resale value and the better fuel economy of the Yaris, it will be a no-brainer for the Yaris price-wise--unless Hyundai piles on the rebates.
  • roysantiagoroysantiago Member Posts: 2
    Well, fact is in the Philippines, Diesel fuel is significantly lower than Gasolines. A liter of diesel fuel here is Php 31.47 or about $0.60, a gallon here would mean US$2.27 (3.78 liters in a gallon). So too bad we have rock bottom prices.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    Saw this on another forum. I think the power package has the convenience package bundled in since it's required to get the power package. In that press release/newsletter or whatever where this comes from the MSRP pricing still doesn't mention a destination charge included so count on an extra $600 or so to the MSRP prices everyone has seen.

Vehicle Transmission MSRP*
    Liftback Convenience Package M/T & A/T $ 630
    Liftback Power Package** M/T & A/T $ 1,290
    Sedan Convenience Package M/T & A/T $ 750
    Sedan or Sedan S Power Package** M/T $ 1,710
    Sedan or Sedan S Power Package** A/T $ 1,785
    *Dealer margins for the above packages will be 10%
    **Power package price above includes required 15” steel wheel upgrade (Accessory SV)
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    The pricing is fair but most people will want a CD player and rear window defogger so the convience package is a must for most people. Using the sedan automatic example that's $750 dollars right there. Add in $600 (estimated) for destination charge and you're at another $1350 right there.

The power package has the cruise control a lot of people want so they may have to step up to the $1785 package. This package also has the tachometer for the automatic version if someone wants that. It does have ABS bundled as well but is that offered seperately like the side curtain airbags?

My problem is even after getting the power package you still apparently don't have remote keyless entry, engine immobilizer, or some sort of alarm system. You also don't have side curtain airbags on that $14,900 (estimated) sedan automatic with power package.
    sedan and not the 5-door "hatchwagon", right? Saying that's true, I have decided that I don't like the Yaris 4-door sedan that Toyota is shipping to America. It does the warmed-over, sporty up-tempo Corolla thing way too much to me.

As far as 2006 Kia Rio rebates go, I don't think I'd hold up and wait until March or April for them. I will see how many discounts I can score in early February and how I do at getting those will determine whether I trade or hold. I'm thinking my local Kia dealer will be in the mood to haggle in a win-win sort of manner, much like Jerry Smith Chev-Buick-Kia did for me in 1999 and 2001 back in Burlington, WA.

My local Kia dealer has a Tropical Red Rio5 in 5-speed form, a Rio LX in Sapphire Blue and a Rio LX in Silver, both in 5-speeds. I'm leaning towards the Rio LX but haven't decided for sure yet.

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    And I was surprised. They looked smaller than I was expecting, especially the 2 door (3 door?) hatch. My 6' husband got in a Rio, Accent and Yaris and was really cramped in the first 2 (they looked bigger outside). The Yaris seem to have more leg room, and while they might look smaller outside, I don't think they are smaller inside. They are certainly nicer than the Echos were, and they had 40 mpg as the EPA highway mileage. Not too bad at all.
    But not a low-end car. Since it is going to take many months for all the new low-end cars to roll out, and there won't be crash test results or most likely major discounts on many of them (particularly Fit, Versa, and Yaris) for a long time, and my family needs another set of wheels in the next month or so, I decided to buy a "bridge" car, a 2000 Mazda 626, to tide me over for the next year or two until this market stabilizes. Hopefully by that time these new low-end cars will be selling in volume so there will be decent discounts/rebates, and we'll know how good the crash protection is. If those two things don't pan out, then I'll have some other alternatives such as the all-new '07 Elantra, the Sonata, the Mazda3 (nearing the end of its generational life span, so maybe discounts/rebates will be more plentiful), a new Sentra and Corolla, and others. Meanwhile, I'll have a lot of fun over the next year driving and sizing up all the new low-end cars. I want to take my time and make the right decision on this next new car, because I'll be driving it for 5-6 years and then will pass it on to my daughter for college.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    It sounds like the Yaris is well into Corolla pricing territory. Very similar to the the Rio/Spectra and Accent/Elantra current situation. I suppose that will be the case until the next redesign of the Corolla/Elantra/Spectra to move them further up the ladder in terms of size and price.

Personally, I'm not a huge Yaris fan (but that 3-door is awfully cute) but if I had to choose between it and a Corolla for the same price, I'd take the Yaris hands down. The fact that I despise the Corolla would be the main factor in that decision.

What about the announcement today that the Fit will start at $13k including A/C and the basics? The only obstacle for the Fit will be it's 5-door only bodystyle. Toyota is smart to go with a 3-door on the Yaris and Hyundai would be wise to get the 3-door Accent on the market ASAP. I think Toyota would do quite well with the 5-door version of the Yaris as it's better looking than the 4-door sedan, IMO.
    I'm a little confused by those Yaris prices only because the Convenience Package is standard on the "S" model, so shouldn't the Power Package be cheaper for the "S" than the base?

FYI, if anyone doesn't want to search for the info, here's what the packages include-

Convenience Package- AM/FM CD w/four speakers, MP3/WMA capability and AUX jack, folding rear seat, 15-inch wheels with wheel covers and rear defroster (shocked a rear defog isn't standard)

Power Package (requires Conv Pkg)- Power windows, mirrors and locks, ABS, cruise control, upgraded interior trim, tachometer on AT cars (MT have tach standard).

Individual options (no prices)-
    15" Alloy wheels
    Keyless entry
    Rear spoiler
    Fog lamps

Apparently they are bundling options together and Toyota does have a history of creating "Special Value Packages" that are actually an exceptional deal for the consumer. They usually offer a lot of equipment for the price. For example, on the Corolla S the Extra Value Package costs $900 and includes cruise, power windows and locks, rear spoiler, alloy wheels.

I think the $10,950 (including A/C) Liftback model is going to be a HUGE hit! As I said in a previous post, Hyundai needs to get their Accent 3-door here ASAP!
    A five-door Fit an obstacle? IMO that will be one of the biggest selling points of the car. It offers a lot of versatility in a small package.

Are the side bags included in any packages, or offered stand-alone?

The Accent GS and GSi are due out this spring (I think I read March someplace), so they won't trail the Yaris by much if at all.
    That may not have come across the way I intended. I simply meant that lack of a 4-door sedan bodystyle may limit sales. Americans aren't the most receptive to hatchback bodystyles, particularly 4-door hatchbacks so I don't think it will appeal to as many buyers as if they also offered a version with a trunk. I'm sure it will still sell well. After all, it is a Honda.

If anyone can vouch for the inherent practicality and versatility of a 5-door, it would be me. I chose the 5-door Mazda3 over its 4-door companion. I guess we'll soon know how many other buyers out there will do the same.

On that subject, it'd be very interesting to see Mazda3 sales broken down into bodystyles. I haven't been able to find anything like that, though.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you pay for both packages at Toyota if one requires the other. The power package does not include the items in the convenience package, it just can't be ordered on a car WITHOUT the convenience package. I wonder personally if any dealers will order any Yaris's without anything optional. I could see people wanting an $11K Toyota that has A/C and gets 40 to the gallon. The stereo would be no big deal for someone that is planning to sub in an aftermarket stereo anyway.

Right now I am obsessing on the expense involved in getting a Yaris with a tach. Minimum price is around $14K, I would guess, and unavailable at all in the hatch, so you have to buy the sedan to get one. I gotta have a tach.

Do any of these cars besides the Fit have a standard tach in base form?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

That does stink about the tach, especially one not available on the hatch. I've always wondered how much they save by not making one standard, especially cars that have a different gauge layout with and without it. It seems like it'd simplify the build process making it standard. I suppose that isn't the case, though.

I was looking at the Ford Focus last summer when it was crazy cheap due to "Family Pricing". I was never seriously considering it, but wanted to see what $12k would get me at the Ford dealer. It amazed me that most of the Focus SE sedans didn't have a tach. The only way to get it on those is to pay $475 for the "Sport Package" that include alloys, leather wrapped steering wheel and fog lamps. I even ran across one oddball that stickered over $18k, had power sunroof and the Sony Audiophile but NO tach. Crazy.
    Most of them have a tach standard: Fit, Accent, Rio for sure. I can't recall if the Versa has one. I'm pretty sure the Aveo does.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Real men shift by ear... in fact, I'm so used to not having a tach that it is virtually useless to me.

But when I unwisely crank the stereo so that I can't properly hear the engine, I sometimes get in trouble.

I would not let lack of a tachometer dissuade me from any car... if it is imporant to you I would argue that at $14, a Vibe or Matrix is a better choice. No 40 mpg, but a lot more car.

-Mathias
    There's also the low-tech but effective 15-25-35-45 approach (add 5 mph for a little extra oomph).
    Yep, I had to use that technique in my '91 Civic DX. No tach, no power steering....talk about basic.
    Oh, I totally agree, in fact the Echo I bought doesn't have a tach. I just feel it's STINGY of the manufacturer not to put one in. That is so 1985. Plus, it's another one of those things where I have to wonder just how much it costs to put in, in a model that has an alternate design for higher trims that include the tach. How much could it POSSIBLY cost? That crosses the line from reasonable base equipment level to chintzy, IMO.

As for the Echo, it practically shifts itself, so I don't miss the tach at all, except on principle.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

The way I look at it, in a world where every Buick has a tachometer, anything with a manual shifter should have one. Then again, Buicks cost a lot more than the cars we're talking about, too.

Come to think of it, even the '05 Civic DX and VP didn't have one. Did I read somewhere that the Toyota Yaris Liftback won't be available with one or just that it isn't standard?
    yeah, you can't get a tach in the Yaris hatch. Yet, in the sedan with MT, which costs less than $1000 more, it is standard! And can be added to auto-trans sedans by purchasing the power package.

I forgot that the low-end Civics didn't have a tach before. I wonder if they do now. They don't have A/C and a radio, but a tach is standard?! :-P

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I forgot that the low-end Civics didn't have a tach before. I wonder if they do now. They don't have A/C and a radio, but a tach is standard?!

All Civics now include a tachometer in its "Two-Tier Instrument Panel".
  • monkey7312monkey7312 Member Posts: 26
    I wouldn't call it being a Kia hater because someone doesn't like the less than decent crash tests and stuff like that... It seems like the cars are a good deal for how much they cost, but you really do get what you pay for.
    Is everyone forgetting about long term reliability? How does a Kia hold up when the odometer hits 100k?
    I'll answer that, as my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 just passed the 100K mark. In fact, I now have 107,409 miles on it and it is running very strong.

I just changed out it's OEM Hankook SUV tires at 102,000 miles, and, yes, I still had tread on them. They were not a safety hazard at replacement time, as some on this website insisted. I have yet to burn a single lightbulb out on my Sportage 4x4.

The little truck has helped me get out of the ice spinnies 3 or 4 times already in Missouri and Idaho. The automatic hubs for the 4WD have performed flawlessly.

The SUV has been very affordable to keep maintained and/or repaired. The dollar amount I've paid for repairs and maintenace, if averaged out over 12 months is astoundingly low.

Kia makes sound cars, vans and SUV's. They re built to last and they do last. I'm fixin' to get my third new Kia here in a few weeks.

you're getting a new Rio, right? Are you getting the 5, or the sedan?

I am curious on a personal note to hear what you end up paying for it, in order to make a mental comparison with the Honda Fit, which will be pretty well-equipped (and will have all the safety features) at $13K for a stick.

• monkey7312monkey7312 Member Posts: 26
    Why does everyone have such negative things to say? Probably people who own something else or got a lemon... Or maybe because the price is so low (it would make sense to think it because of that)... I really like the looks of the new Spectra but would need a little more proof before I ever got one. Most ratings are too biased ("only buy honda or toyota") to trust.
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    Monkey:

Nothing negative here to say or read on my 2004.5 Spectra EX.
    Best car I've owned (at least for the first 18k miles / 1.5 years) in 25 years of driving.

Check out the specifics at: http://spectraman.freeservers.com

I say GO FOR IT! :-)

-SM
    a new Kia purchase, men. I have loved both of mine and, yes, I am planning on trading in our 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 on a new 2006 Kia Rio LX sedan in a few weeks.

I don't have to trade so if a deal I like can't be made I'll just walk out and hold onto my Sportage 4x4. I will get a new college grad $400 discount and a $500 Owner's Loyalty Rebate off of the Rio LX's $13,055 price and Kia Sportage 4x4 SUV's hold their value better than Kia cars so I should get a good trade in and selling price that I will be fine with.

I'll let y'all know what I end up doing. I just want the Rio LX's 32/35 gas mileage for what looks like will be an expensive gas year for the U.S. throughout 2006. Sub-$2.00/gal ghastly may be hard to find as the year progresses.

As for buying a new Kia and being nervous about it-don't get jittery. It's well worth it-Kia's are great cars-they're not just good cars. I'm hooked. :P

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Funny now that you mention it.. with all the driving I do in lots of different manuals, I dont think I've ever in my life even looked at the tach when driving. I used to in my auto camry playing with it out of boredom.

Cruise no OD
    driver input no OD
    criose w/OD

but a manual.. it's all oart if being part of the vehicle, it will tell you when to shift... sound, feel, strain
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I dont think I've ever in my life even looked at the tach when driving. I used to in my auto camry playing with it out of boredom.

Some might say its easy to be bored driving a Camry. The last one I rode in was very quiet and smooth, not necessarily a bad thing...I almost went to sleep in a 40 minute ride!
  • usedcargalusedcargal Member Posts: 2
    Hope someone can help me assess a used Hyundai Accent. It's from 2001 and has 96,000 highway miles.
    What kind of reliability could I expect from a 2001 model? Would it be a good first car for a teenager who's wants to travel a couple of hours away for concerts on occasion?

P.S. If this isn't the right forum for this question, please pardon the intrusion and direct me to the proper place.
    Thanks!
    Have a trusted mechanic go over the car. Make sure it has been properly serviced (e.g. the 60k servicing was done including the timing belt, and the 90k servicing was done--these are both major and pricey). At 96k several things could be going, e.g. brakes, struts, and clutch. Check to see if there are any newer parts. It's better if it's a stick, as automatics are the most expensive thing to repair on a car.
  • zodiac2004zodiac2004 Member Posts: 458
    All good advice from backy.
    Plus go over to the "Real world trade in values" board and post the details about the car in the format available in the bottom of that page. Someone will tell you what's a good price to pay for it.
    With a Hyundai, you'll be surprised at how much less the car is worth than what the books and pricing guides tell you.
    I took in the Chicago Auto Show last week and got a close-up look at all the under-$16k cars available now or in the near future. Here's a summary:

Accent: They had two '07 3-doors and two '06 four-doors. Both of the 3-doors were locked. :( The 3-door looks great, but the buttoned-down dash seems to fit the 4-door better. Driver's seat on the 4-door was very comfortable, and there is just enough room in back for two medium-sized adults. The GS 3-door would be a really great deal if it offered ABS. Dropping of ABS from the standard equipment list of the GLS for '07 is a disappointment too (although the '06s on the floor had it).

Verdict: Great improvement over the last Accent, and the 3-door should attract people on a budget who want a sporty yet economical car. But needs a lower price and/or incentives.

Aveo: The '07 sedan looks a lot more substantial than the current model--quite a chunky little car. The interior also looks good, much more upscale with metallic trim and good-looking fabric. The powertrain is the question. Also, the rep at the show told me that the 5-door is not being redesigned for '07, which is a shame. That also tells me that perhaps the '07 redesign is just a reskinning with a new interior vs. a full redesign.

Verdict: Better, but is it good enough in an increasingly tough field? And why buy this Korean car when you can get others with a 10-year warranty? Also... does anyone care? I was the only person watching the presentation on the Aveo by the nice-looking female rep (and of course I was looking at the, uh, car).

Fit: Wow, what a nice little car! Tons of interior room in a tiny package--even enough backseat room for medium-sized adults. High quality plastics and fabric for the money, starting at about $13.5k. Standard ABS and side bags/curtains, as well as A/C and power package. Available 5-speed automatic. But check out the seating position before you buy: I couldn't get comfortable, and there is some question whether there is or is not a seat height adjuster.

Verdict: Honda will sell all of these they can import, if the seat is not an issue for too many buyers.

Rio: See Accent, except the interior isn't quite as nice IMO (beefier exterior, though). Rio5 is quite a slick package, but at $16k with automatic, ABS, and power package, it bumps up against larger cars like Spectra and Elantra and is priced higher than competitors like Fit and Versa.

Sentra: The one '07 Sentra was locked up. It looked to me like they took the front end of the Maxima, the rear of the Altima, scaled it down about 4/5, and there you be. Not a bad looking car though, much more upscale and much more roomy than the current design (which debuted when Roosevelt was president, right?). Starting price is supposed to be "$15k well equipped" according to the rep--including standard 6-speed stick.

Verdict: It will be interesting to see how the new Sentra fares against the cheaper and more economical Versa.

Versa: IMO this was the most impressive car of the show, for its class. Roomy interior with a dash that looked much costlier than the $12k base price. 5-door versatility with useable room in back even with the rear seats up. Economical (38 mpg estimated overall) but more powerful than anything else in the class (except Sentra, which is technically a step up). Standard 6-speed stick, or available CVT or 4-speed slushbox. Availability of luxury options like Bluetooth. It does look a bit like a Qwest in the front, but the rear has interesting curves and angles (pointy rear doors are kind of jarring, though). And the rear seat doesn't fold flat.

Verdict: Might be the sleeper hit of small cars for '07?

Yaris: They had a 3-door and sedan, both locked. Packaging looked good for such small cars. The HVAC controls looked like cheap plastic, especially on the 3-door. Otherwise the interior of the sedan seemed accomodating for such an inexpensive car. Problem is, the sedan stickered at $14k with automatic and A/C but without amenities such as ABS, side bags/curtains, and power package. And why does Toyota think that their new cars don't need protective side strips? Do they think other people will say, "Oh, there's a new Toyota, I will be very careful that I do not hit it with my car door"? :confuse: Toyota should talk with Kia or Hyundai about how to do a proper side strip.

Verdict: Neat little car, but pricing is very close to compact or even mid-sized territory. And the larger Corolla gets even better fuel economy.

(No report on the Spectra or Forenza--they are carry-overs.)
    a strange flip-flop that Kia and Hyundai have moved up in price so much while the new entries from Honda and Nissan are looking to be the bargain-priced cars in the class. When was a new Honda ever the bargain-priced anything? Usually worth the extra dough, yes, but not usually priced for LESS dough.

The Yaris is going to face pricing problems, I agree. And I guess the Aveo is going to remain the bargain of the whole bunch.

If they had held the line on the new Accent's pricing to the increase usually anticipated with a model update, it would now be one of the leading contenders in the group, I think.

The good news for Hyundai and Kia is that they only have to drop the price of their sedan entries about $500 to match the Fit. The Rio5 is about the same price as the Fit Sport, and the Accent SE 3-door should be pretty close to the base Fit's price. But I don't think most people are ready to pay the same price for a Hyundai or Kia vs. a Honda or Toyota, so there will need to be some price cutting or incentives coming soon. Look at the '06 Sonata--there were no incentives for a few months after introduction, but then they came big-time: now $2500-3000 plus aggressive discounting.

Hyundai has already taken the first step by dropping ABS from the standard list on the GLS, which should cut the starting price by about $400, and also they dropped the alloys from the Preferred package, so that should cut a few hundred bucks off the GLS with A/C and power package and make it more competitive with the base Fit (and Rio LX for that matter), and the Versa.
    the Fit will have ABS and a full safety complement at the price of the base model, right?

Hyundai may have thought the public was ready for it to set prices at parity with Toyota/Honda, but I disagree. People still need to see a 10% discount. And looking at the Aveo really makes you wonder - here is a car just redesigned and built in Korea, yet it can undercut everyone else by $1000s including the other Koreans, while at the top end of its range, it can offer amenities for the same price as the top-end Fits and Accents that they don't even offer optionally (like a moonroof).

Yes, the Fit will have ABS standard--as will the Accent SE. But ABS isn't standard in other competitors such as the Versa and Yaris.

Let's see if the new, improved '07 Aveo will undercut the competition, comparably equipped, by $1000s when it debuts. Keep in mind that for about $14k you can get an Accent with six airbags, ABS, power package, remote locking, heated mirrors, 110 hp CVVT engine, nicely trimmed interior, 172-watt 6-speaker CD sound system, and the long Hyundai warranty. I doubt the new Aveo will be thousands less than that with similar equipment--and it certainly won't have a comparable warranty.

P.S. A moonroof is an option in the Accent SE. It's featured in photos on the 2007 Accent site at hyundaiusa.com.