Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently tried to purchase a new vehicle after being out of the market for a while and found that prices were much higher than you expected? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 1/22 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Should I at least change the filter on 100k+ tranny? Ford Explorer.

chrisgritzchrisgritz Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Ford

Hey guys so i bought a 2004 Ford Explorer and it currently has 134k miles on it. I have been giving it its TLC since i have gotten it and now its time for the tranny fluid/filter change. I called several places and they all told me the samething, if i decide to change the fluid it has a chance of messing up the transmission. Problem is i don't really know if the person who had the car before me ever changed it or not, bought the car from a used dealer. So far there has been some hesitation when reaching 30 mph if i am driving slow but if i do a quick take off i won't even notice the hesitation when its changing gears at around the 30mph. Also sometimes when i am on park and change it to reverse it takes about 2-3 seconds before it changes as well as going to drive, It happens very seldom. My question is, is there an alternative route i can go to sorta clean the tranny fluid or filter? Can i just at least change the filter but keep the same fluid? Thank you!

(By hesitation around the 30mph i mean that it will start to slow down then change gears, almost if like you are driving a manual and shift from a higher gear to a lower gear)

Also i went to Autozone 2 weeks ago to check what the service light was for and the code was for a sensor but i can't remember the code, not sure if a sensor will have anything to do with it or not.

Comments

• You didn't say you had a service light, but I'm betting its the O/D light. If it IS the O/D light, It means you need a new VSS (Variable Speed Sensor). Costs about $85 to have it installed - $25 for the part. As for do you need a Transmission Servicing, yes you do and its not going to hurt the transmission unless some MORON does it. Take it to a good shop, tell them to service the tranny (about $160), and replace the VSS and clear all the codes out. After that it should be fine.