Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• "If we KNEW a customer was going to trash us on a survey, we had ways of dealing with that too. "

So this is my concern. Will they retaliate against me? I have a bunch of free oil changes and if I hint that i will give a bad survey for just that one person, should I be afraid to ever set foot in the dealership again?

Here's my gripe.

After making a very good deal on the car, I made a very bonehead rookie mistake.

I bought the extended warranty. (accord2013exl - read this!)

I had been thinking about it since the 2013 was a redesign. But didn't do enough research.

After the price kept coming down I was still hemming and hawing.

I said, well, I have until 6,000 miles to decide. And he said "well No, not really". So, I could somewhat live with the fact that I over paid (by $400) but I can't live with the fact that he lied to me to make the sale. I later confirmed I was right.

I will be canceling the policy and I have to do this in person. But if I decide to buy it from an online dealer I have to pay $165 more since it's not the "first" warranty. So I either not do the warranty (which is probably what I will do)...or this was a $165 lesson I learned.

I don't see how I can give the finance guy a 5 for lying to me unless he can "make it right".

Making it right would mean cutting me a check for $400, or canceling the policy and cutting me a check for $165. What's the probably that will happen????

Will a less grade on the finance guy impact the salesman?

Appreciate the input ISELLHONDAS.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 3,016
    It's really no win. If you always get perfect surveys you have no way of knowing what might be weak spots at the dealership. And customers can't be honest when there are problems. Not only are there rarely perfect car sales experiences anyway, but you'd think you would want to know if there was one troublesome area, or 2 or 3 so you could improve service. This is just one more reason why buying a car is so hellish. The system actually discourages honest feedback.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • tommister2tommister2 Mechanicsville, VAPosts: 292
    edited September 2013
    I had a similar experience - finance guy told me GAP insurance was required if I financed through Honda. He lied to me and my wife - but of course he denied it when I got the GM involved. I requested that the policy be cancelled. They drug their feet so I contacted a consumer lawyer. I was told that if they cancel after 60 days the finance guy gets to keep his commission, so that's probably why they were delaying the cancellation.

I'm curious to see if they will do the same to you with this warranty. I hope they treat you right - be sure to let us know. Just another reason not to buy anything extra when you are trapped in the finance manager's office...

BTW - I did not receive a survey for that purchase. That might be what isell is talking about - the dealer might be able to suppress certain surveys from going out.

As for GAP insurance, it was available as part of my auto coverage for $1/month. Much better than the $799 at the dealer! Plus I only needed it for about 2 years.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2012 Honda Pilot, 2013 Toyota Tundra, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 4,696
    You should give the dealership all 5's. Like you posted you made the bone head mistake not the dealer. Chalk up that $ 165 to a lessioned learned. If you buy a car every 8 to 10 years you might not care about a survey for them. Giving any dealer a 5 on his survey even if they dont deserve it will ensure you that any problems and any new purchases you will be treated better as a repeat customer. Dont put a mark on your back.

I buy new vehicles often looking for the best price.. That alone will get you all 5's... Does it mean that dealership deserves it?. NO

My Accord purchase in Feb was bad. On pick up day dealer Could not find the other Remote. The salesman that was showing me my Accord spoke bad english and new nothing about the car. Inside the car was not cleaned after the guys prepped it. Terrible dealership Gave me a great price. Earned my 5's. If i gave them 2 or 3's i probably would never see another good price from them down the road.

2016 BMW X-5 35i, 2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2012 MB ML350

• Ha ha ha! Sure it's is.
    Thanks.
  • Thank you.
    You too with your exl.
  • I think It's very good deal.
  • Sorry cars12345! It's not Prime, it's HC.
    Good luck with your final things with them though.

Thanks for the suggestion on warranty, i'll go to the warranty thread and read more about it.
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Boston, MAPosts: 361
    Are they throwing any free accessories in the deal?
  • Brian - your advice makes sense.

I still think I should say I'm cancelling because the price is too high and I can get it get it cheaper from an internet dealer (not that I expect them to be as cheap as an internet dealer) but also the fact you mislead me...but not make a bigger stink than that. They will ask me why and try to talk me out of it. I'll just state the facts and cancel the policy. End of story.

What do you think?
    I agree with your approach.

The next time your buying a honda If your dealing with that dealership make sure you go out of your way to tell the Manager there you gave then 5"s on there last survey and they Did Not Deserve it For what ever the reasons..

This may help you with getting your next target priced Vehicle.

Enjoy your new ride

• jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,441
    Define "pressure".

I was asked by salesman to give all 5's, that anything other than a 5 was a failure. He was nice about it, never felt pressured. Said if any areas I felt were less than a 5 to call before turning in survey, and they'd make it right. Experience was good enough, so I gave all 5's.

A really stupid and unfair way to score the sales experience.

Isell, have dealerships always had these surveys? Sounds like something that was probably started in early 80's.
    edited September 2013
    I remember late 70's with the American car companies on survey Satisfaction.

These new survey satisfaction/ customer related forms are a unfair way to judge sales staff and dealership practices on a whole.

Some people are to critical to judge. I tell all my family and friends. Regardless of your experience bad or good that survey gets a 5 star.

I find its best

Telling each dealership what they did wrong but not hurting them helps them and you in the long run.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 58,966
    Telling each dealership what they did wrong but not hurting them helps them and you in the long run.

What is the dealership's incentive to improve if there are no consequences if they don't?

I figure taking money out of their pocket is a darn good incentive to get better.

Would you tip your server the same 20% if they got the order wrong, spilled a drink in your lap and didn't keep your water glass full?

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,603
    I have no idea at what mileage a person is unable to buy an extended warranty on a Honda and I don't know if the finance person outright lied to you or you misunderstood him.

But, yes, a bad survey will impact your salesperson AND the store. Actually it won't affect your finance person that much.

Just cancel your warranty and get your money back!

If you really feel you need a warranty on your Honda I know there are renegade stores out there that probably sell them for less money.

It sounds like you bought the warranty and THEN shopped it and now you are bitter because you found out you could have bought it for less?

Nobody is going to "retaliate" against you. If you have free oil changes coming, you'll get them.

Don't be afraid to step foot in there, noting will happen. Just don't expect your salesperson to look back fondly on your transaction.

And, something tells me you'll never get a survey but if you do, why not take the high road?
    Mike your point is well taken and you are correct in your thinking. I buy to many vehicles No need to burn bridges. That dealership that has bad practices this month and a bad price might give me a monster deal down the road . It always happens.

If i bought a vehicle from your dealership you have given me the best price around/ maybe the best price on the east coast..... I am a dealerships nightmare so in return of that good price and me tongue lashing you on dealer practices i feel for me............. its a wash. The average guy 1 car every 7 to 10 years may be a different story.

i buy alot of cars for myself, family and friends. i need some of these guys on my side................lol.

You don't understand.

Honda's system is a pass/fail system. It's a scale of 1-5. Getting a 4 is as bad as getting a 1.

No, it's not fair and, no, it isn't right but THAT'S THE WAY THEY DO IT!

In a perfect world, a 4 would equal a B and not an F but that's they way they do it!

So let me ask you...if you went out to a very nice restaurant and had an excellent meal with outstanding service and your server accidently spilled a drink on you would you punish hi/her by not leaving a tip or by leaving a lesser tip? Would you go to Yelp and trash that restaurant?

I would like to think that you might leave a lesser tip?

Well, giving a 4 instead of a 5 would be like leaving no tip at all. Would you do that? I'm guessing you wouldn't but that is the way Honda's survey's work.

" Well, that isn't fair"

" Well, that's not right"

I agree, but THAT is how they work!
    You don't understand.

Honda's system is a pass/fail system. It's a scale of 1-5. Getting a 4 is as bad as getting a 1.

No, it's not fair and, no, it isn't right but THAT'S THE WAY THEY DO IT!

In a perfect world, a 4 would equal a B and not an F but that's they way they do it!

So let me ask you...if you went out to a very nice restaurant and had an excellent meal with outstanding service and your server accidently spilled a drink on you would you punish hi/her by not leaving a tip or by leaving a lesser tip? Would you go to Yelp and trash that restaurant?

I would like to think that you might leave a lesser tip?

Well, giving a 4 instead of a 5 would be like leaving no tip at all. Would you do that? I'm guessing you wouldn't but that is the way Honda's survey's work.

" Well, that isn't fair"

" Well, that's not right"

I agree, but THAT is how they work!
    " Don't put a mark on your back"

That probably won't happen. The Service Dept has no idea and doesn't care about the circumstances surrounding the sale of your car.

Four years later when you show up at my desk asking for help on some out or warranty repair that you think should be covered, do you really think I'm going to go to bat for you and fight with management and the factory rep if necessary? Guess again!

" the salesman that was showing me my Accord spoke bad English and "knew" nothing about the car"

Well, guess what they can hire after the "smart shoppers" (being nice here) have ground every new car deal into a mini commission sale"

That salesperson was probably gone the next month, replaced with a similar quality warm body.

" Terrible Dealership. Gave me a great price"

I guess to some people, PRICE is all that matters. At least you didn't trash them on the surveys.

Then there are the unhappy customers who WERE treated poorly, lied to and weren't respected.

Ah, but for the price of a tank of gas, somehow a perfect survey happens.

Imagine that!
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 58,966
    isell, you and I have agreed to disagree on this topic many times over the umpteen years we've both been on this forum. :-)

I agree, it's not fair and it's not right for the surveys (at least for Honda) to be pass / fail in nature. That doesn't serve anybody's best interests - the dealer, the salesperson or the consumer.

The point of surveys is to solicit honest feedback from the customer that can be used to improve the sales process. If the customer can't be honest because it impacts the dealer or salesman's compensation, then the whole system is broken.

Not likely that it will change .. so, let's get back to our regular discussion of prices paid. ;-)

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• fxguyfxguy Posts: 132
    This is only $270 below invoice. This is not good in my opinion. I understand you are in a different region of the country but someone reported $750 below invoice in TX within the last couple of days. Buy if you need a car right away but i can only imagine way better prices a few weeks from now.
  • Thanks everyone for your comments - it's the insight I needed. Great to hear from both sides of the table.

ISELL, I did shop around a bit before when we got to a price I though was good, I said yes, but it was for the wrong deductible and 1 less year. As noted earlier, I am a bonehead. I own that. Everyone is trying to make a living - he's selling something and I bought it. I'm mad at myself more than mad at them.

However, he did flat out lie to me to close the sale and that's what I'm pissed at. There is a 6000 mile limit to be considered new. I asked point blank and he said no...so I doubted myself because he is the expert. Rewarding that behavior just seems wrong to me which is why I asked for advice. I'm glad I understand the surveys better.

So I was lied to by a car salesman. Chalk up to experience and move on.

Next topic...
    Michaell...

We don't disagree. We agree.

It's not fair and it's not right and soliciting HONEST FEEDBACK surveys wold be a great thing.

Unfortunately, this is not the way Honda (and others, I'm told) do this so until it changes (not holding my breath) it is a seriously flawed system that produces tainted results.

I'm done..thanks for listening.
  • I read this forum every few days. It was a shame to see it turn into a one vs. the other post a few pages back. I have been reading this forum for the past few years and consider myself to be fairly advanced in the car buying game. I have bought 6 Hondas over the past 12 years and will be in the market for 2 more in another year. I have also helped a bunch of friends buy cars that were not Honda.

I think the best way to sum it all up is that buying a car is a game. The goal for the customer is to get the lowest price, the goal for the dealer is to get the greatest profit. As I tell my friends who I have helped, once you realize it is all a game, you are better off. I have seen all sorts of tactics from dealers, both good and bad. And I have tried different strategies and have been very successful. What I have learned is that there are many different rules, and they change all the time.

So with that, I think you both give good advice. The game is all about finding that dealer who is willing to break even or lose money on the car. How do you do that? I think it changes all the time. So a lot of Brians advice works, but not all the time and not in all areas. And those cases, Isell makes good points. Maybe there is no merit to the day of the month, who knows. I do believe however that if you find a dealer who has a target of sales, and they are close, you can do better at the end of the month. Now this one I have never tested but in my next round of purchases I will try it.

I was talking to a service person in a dealership two weeks ago He told me the dealer has a really aggressive sales target for that month they want to meet. I have to think if they are close, and it is the last day, they will bargain more. But if they arent up against a target, the day won't matter.

My last Honda purchase of a few years ago: I was doing internet negotiating with dealers by email, the price wasn't budging much. Then I read someone on here who got the car for $1,000 less. He told me where he got it from and the salesperson. I called that salesperson up, mentioned the name of the user on this forum and within 5 mins, I got the same deal, even $100 cheaper. The dealers I was negotiating with said there was no way that dealer would deliver the car. It was the V6, one told me that I was mistaken, the price was for the I4. They were all wrong, I drove up to that dealer, got the car nice and easy, and saved a lot.

It was just a question of finding that dealer who was willing to make no money on the car.

So in summary, it is all a game with very few rules. What works today may not work tomorrow, and sometimes you need some luck. The beauty of the internet is we can all share our strategies and learn from each other. So lets not turn this into a one vs. the other, lets figure out how to get better at the game.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 645
    Adam - thank you for the excellent post. One of the best I have seen recently. Occasionally we need someone to point out the primary reason this excellent forum exists - to provide us all a place where we can request and offer real world advice on how to get the best deal we can get on a vehicle purchase. There have been a number of contentious posts recently which have detracted from that objective. To those willing to listen, Isell has a lot to offer because of his many years of experience and I believe he presents his point of view with integrity and honesty. From the other side, Brian, with his vast experience in wheeling and dealing, passionately volunteers to impart his knowledge to others so they can achieve the best possible deal. I have a great deal of respect for both these guys for what they do for this forum.

But, as you have pointed out, there are many ways to go about this and the process is dynamic - constantly changing. I enjoyed your story about your last Honda purchase - had you not been reading this forum, you might not have landed such a great deal - should be a lesson to us all.

Thanks again for the great post!

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • sparkndutchsparkndutch Posts: 31
    edited September 2013
    Hello everyone. So I just recently got out of the military (USMC) and want to buy myself a new vehicle (currently have a 98 civic w/ 202,500 miles!) kinda like a gift to myself. After sitting in my friends Accord Sport, I fell in love with it. My question is: how many people here got below invoice prices before taxes? I qualify for military and also college graduate discount, just want to see how much lower I can get. I want to buy in the next few days here in the Los Angeles County. Any preferred dealers? Also should I wait for 2014 model, or is it unchanged in the Sport trim? I greatly appreciate it since I'm so excited to buy this weekend =)
    Also is extended maintenance/warranty worth it? Yes, I plan to keep this car forever! Haha as you can tell with my current Civic.

-Ricky
    edited September 2013
    Running out to shoot a round of golf today. Well written post Mr adamr1.

Tks Mr Bill

• Extended service contracts are a bet. On all bets, the house wins. Better to put the money away rather than give it to the dealer. In all cases, a third party extended service contract is risky. Google US Fidelis.

An amount of $795 for GAP is insane. Almost all profit for the dealer. Check your insurance, some offer a GAP product for a small amount. Ask yourself how many vehicles you have totaled. Is a $795 insurance plan which will likely never be used and which would probably pay only $1,000 or so if it were ever used a wise way to spend money?

Remember, best not to believe anything a car sales person tells you. They are not your buddy. And always, say NO to anything the F&I manager tries to sell you. Everything they offer is grossly overpriced and most have limited value.
  • In Chicago and close suburbs, I received quotes for the 2013 Accord Sport CVT ranging from 21,500 to 22,100 (and higher), including dest. but not TTL. They look like they are slow to sell here, but dealers are not coming down in price. I'm hoping to buy soon. Also would appreciate advice on extended maintenance/warranty. Thanks all.
  • Ricky,

Because you qualify for both the miltary rebate and the college grad rebate, I would say that you should expect a great price on the 2013 sport. If you are planning to finance with Honda (they still have low rates right now up to 0.9% for 36 months), then you are possibly eligible for $500 Flex Cash (depending on the dealer). I would shop around several dealers in your area, but would start your bidding somewhere between 2,500-2,000 below invoice. In the end you should target getting a price 1,500-2000 below invoice because you are eligible for 1500 in direct rebates, and there is still an additional ~$490 in holdback on this vehicle.

For Accord Sport CVT (including destination) invoice is 22929
    For Accord Sport Manual (including destination) invoice is 22199

For Accord Sport CVT (including destination) target price should be 20929 +ttl
    For Accord Sport Manual (including destination) target price should be be 20199 + ttl

Also, my personal preference with negotiation is to start all bidding using a drive-out quote. This way you are not surprised with any egregious fees when it comes to sigining the contract.

In Southern CA i think the tax rate is 6.5%, expect to pay ~200 extra in dmv (title, registration, license), and ~125 extra in doc fees.

I would start your bidding at 22k OTD for the CVT and 21.3k OTD for the Manual. Target should be 22.5k OTD for the CVT and 21.8 OTD for the Manual.

I would search all the dealers in your area and find the one with the largest inventory of '13 sports. They have the greatest incentive to offload these vehicles in prep for the `14. Since you keep your cars for a very long time, I would think resale value is not an immediate issue, and thus the `13 will be a much better deal. There is fewer incentive for a good deal on the `14 and there are virtually no changes to the actual vehicle.

Internet managers are the easiest to deal with. Have them bid for your deal directly.

Joel