Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous: Care & Maintenance

fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
edited March 2014 in Buick
but here goes. I use a couple of good resources for tips on proper cleaning/waxing of our new babies. Since the paint is brand new and without any oxidation, now is the time to give it the once over and protect it. A good wax will protect the paint for 3 to 6 months!

Check out:

http://www.properautocare.com (Klasse all-in-one and P21S for the wheels is a great start)

and

http://www.mercedesshop.com/detailing_faq.htm

Comments

• john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    Brian,

Thanks for the info. I looked at both sites. Good information.

Did you buy the Kit or did you just get the Klasse All-in-One separately? Also, re: P21S - do you recommend the gel or regular?

Do you know if these products are available in stores or only at these web sites?

On my recent camping trip I had a bit of sap fall from a pine tree onto my hood, bummer! Today I went to my body shop and they used some kind of solvent & then followed up w/ polish. The guy said it should be fine, but commented that sap can be real tough on the finish. Luckily it seems to be okay.

Tire Pressure: Yesterday I noticed my front right tire appeared slighly low; after checking it, w/ the cool pressure guage it showed I had about 31 psi. I upped it to about 36 psi. w/ the air compressor in the car. The front door pillar, I believe, said a max. of 40 psi should be used. - Do you have an idea of the optimal pressure for front & rear tires? Should front & rear be the same? I appreciate any feedback you or others have on this.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I went with the kit that has the All-in-One and the High Gloss Sealant so that I could have that extra layer of protection. I also got the regular P21S because I didn't want anything stronger than necessary...it works best with gentle agitation with a wheel brush.

Bar and tar remover works on sap, bugs, etc. but must be used carefully. It contains petroleum distilates, which are generally safe for all finishes. Just buy a jar for about $5.00 and rub gently. Another option (one that bodyshops use) is a clay bar. I've never used one before so check the website for advice.

I couldn't find P21S in any stores out here and their website showed dealers in Oregon, California, and the east coast. I think online ordering is great anyway...I paid $10.95 shipping but no sales tax, so it's about the same.

Check the inside door sill on the driver side for recommended tire pressures. For mine, it's 35 psi all around (Firestone Affinity's without trailer tow package).
    I'll look into picking-up the kit too. I like your idea of putting extra protection on the finish. Thanks again.
    I tried to use a spare cell phone charger in the front seat (my other one has been misplaced), and found that it was blowing fuses. Incidentally, the front-seat power adapters are on the same circuit as the On-Star system. So, if you blow one of those fuses, guess what else doesn't work?

Well, after referring to the manual for fuse identification, I was pleasantly surprised to find a "fuse puller" in the fuse box located under the hood (on top of the windshield reservoir). Thats pretty convenient. I was using my fingers initially, but big hands make it hard to pull out those mini-fuses. The RDV continues to impress us...
    Well, I must say that it takes FOREVER to wash and wax an SUV! The roof takes a lot of time since you have to stand on a chair and scoot it around to clean the roof in sections...and then repeat the process when it's time to wax! I washed the car last night (from about 7:00 to 10:00) and then waxed this morning (from about 7:00 to 9:00). I think I have some ideas on how to streamline the process a little next time.

I didn't put the sealer coat on top of the wax because I was exhausted. I'll wait until next wash for the sealer coat.

BTW, Our RDV now has 690 miles on it so I took it for it's first oil change today. I bought three oil filters from the local Chevy dealer and asked him for a discount (he gave me 10% off). Went to Jiffy Lube and told them, "don't touch anything but the oil and filter" because I just washed and waxed it. I cringed as they opened and closed doors and the hood with their greasy hands and rags (they hold those filthy rags like they think their protecting the finish).

All's well now. I buffed their smudges and I have peace of mind that the oil is fresh. I'm thinking that I'll change the oil again at 3000 miles and switch to synthetic. Any opinions/advice?
    Changed oil at 690 miles! I guess you're being extra careful. I haven't changed ours yet and it has, I'm guessing, about 1300 miles on it. I've read some posts about mobil 1 synthetic oil. One poster claimed he got about 20% better mpg w/ it. - I have no clue about the merits of using it. - I'm learning lots at these forums.

Speaking of which, thanks again for the recommendatiion of Klasse products. I just ordered my kit and am planning on on putting on aio this week. In the meantime, I've vitited and spent lots of thime over at Autopia. Great info over there, and, as w/ RDV forum, nice folks too.

3 Questions for you Brian:

#1 Did you apply and take off by hand? I assume so. Have you considered using PC for removing?

#2 What are you doing/using for the cladding? Do you put the aio on it?

#3 Have you put anything on leather yet? What will you use, if not?

Congratulation on getting yours washed & waxed so soon! I'm sure yours is one of the best looking RDV's on the road; and just wait till you put on the SG; You'll have to post a photo once you get it complete.

Thanks for feedback on my above questions.
    Mine IS the best looking RDV on the road up here because...it's the ONLY RDV on the road up here; I haven't seen another one yet! Now, on to your questions:

I applied and took it off by hand. Since the AIO (cool acronym, BTW) is acrylic, it doesn't need any buffing; just wipe it on and wipe it off! It leaves a very smooth, slick surface finish.

I used it on the whole car, cladding and all. In fact, I had a little goo on the passenger side mirror and I used it to clean that off! It also worked great on the bugs on the front of the mirrors. Just rub it like a polish and it cleans the surface without damaging the finish!

I haven't done the leather yet. My step father gave me some Zymol that he used to use on his T-Bird (they traded it in on their cloth seated Tahoe) and I will use that...eventually. My '94 Miata has tan leather seats and I've never cleaned them with anything but a damp towel! They still look OK, but not great. I will definately maintain the RDV's leather properly, but not so diligently as the exterior (maybe once every couple of months or so).

John, I hope you don't think I'm an expert or anything! When I was in college, my buddies and I loved our cars and cleaned them meticulously. Since I've grown up however, I've been a drive through at the gas station kind of guy. The RDV is the first car I've bought that I really want to keep for a long time and that's why I'm going to try to give it some extra TLC (hence, the early oil change).

BTW, What is "PC"? What is "Autopia"?
    which are some of the things I first thought when I saw it. And I'm sorry, I just assumed you were also hanging out at this other forum which is a goldmine for care care tips, how-to's, etc... The reason I thought so was the url link you gave above (Your Post #1) referred to www.properautocare.com . Somehow that was linked on this other site I stumbled upon while going through some other forums here at Edmunds. That site, which you and everyone else should visit is: http://autopia-carcare.com/ I think you'll love it; the question is, "Do you Have Time?"

So, PC is a Porter Cable rotary polisher. I believe the 2427 model is the random orbital that a lot of folks there recommend. It's also a big, big site for the Klasse products. They also talk about other products as well, although they seem to be minimal on the Zaino products. And by the way, they throw around different acronyms like crazy; thats where I got the aio, etc...

Let me know what you think of the site. btw, I wasn't just talking about Seattle when I said one of the best looking RDV's on the road.

when you get to that website, click on the "Autopia Forums"; that's where most of the hands-on, great info. is at. Of course there's tons of other stuff outside of the forums as well. Have fun browsing there.
    I probably don't have enough time for surfing a new websi.....what, a new website! What am I saying? I'm there!

BTW, I spend a lot of time on the road and I have yet to see another RDV. I think the Pacific Northwest was one of the last areas to get them so I'm not sure how many others are around yet. Mine does get more than it's share of looks and comments from people.

P.S. I must correct an earlier mis-statement. The leather stuff my step father gave me is called "Lexol", not "Zymol" as I said above.
    Hopefully it gets you to the right area.

Autopia Forum

If you see lots of posts about Klasse products, you'll know you're in the right place.

Brian,

Hope you like it as much as I do. I only go over there every once in a while; not as often as I do the RDV forums. But since, up until recently, I knew virtually nothing about what to put on car finishes and how to do it, I've figured it's a great place for me to learn. And coincidentally, the product most of the people there advocate is the one you mentioned in Post #1 of this forum - Klasse All-In-One (aio). Until you mentioned it, I'd never even heard of it. Thanks for that initial tip!
    It was cool seeing your post over there at Autopia. And thanks again for the info. on using the aio on the cladding. I'll be extra careful w/ the bottle once I get it.

I'm a little miffed w/ the company that's sending it from Florida. I paid extra for "3-day delivery", and just recently found out from a UPS tracking email, that it's due to get here in 7-10 days??? Oh well, I'll apply it after our Yosemite trip.

I don't imagine I'll be on any computer in Yosemite, so I'll catch up when we return. In fact, about 5 of my friends & I should be doing the Half Dome trek on Tuesday afternoon; we're actually going to camp at "Little Yosemite" and then continue to the top in the a.m.; we hiked Half Dome about 5 years ago all in one shot. We're taking it a little easier this time, I think, w/ the sleepover.
    I'll "talk" to you when you get back.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Check out the new Edmunds.com Maintenance Guide! Link is provided in the Additional Resource Box.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • msadamsmsadams Member Posts: 26
    Hi Gang,

I do not see any warning AGAINST using Mobil 1 in the owners manual, just a caution against any and all addatives. Has anyone spoken to a person "in-the-know" at GM Powertrain or a dealership on this issue?

Mark K2QO
  • spiritman1spiritman1 Member Posts: 57
    I am using Mobil 1 for the first time, put in by the Buick dealer. I change the filter only at 5k miles and the filter and oil at 10k.

Spiritman :)
  • lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    Hey guys...

Well, a couple nights ago I did my monthly wax of my black/grey RDV... after finishing up I got to thinking if I was using the best wax/polish/glaze combo for this thing...

I used to own a 1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, it was silver... for quite sometime I used Zymol Cleaer wax, the blue stuff that was like $25 a bottle at some point and smelled like a Pina Colada... I loved it, but it was a real pain to do since I had to move in sections... it took me 2 hours to wax the Trans Am... multiply that by 3 everytime (i'm a 3 coat kinda guy...).

Anyway, after I used all that up I ended up just using Meguiars Gold Class for the last month of my T/A before I got the RDV... which is what I started with on it. Recently, I picked up this 3M stuff at Pep Boys and I've been blown away... it's a Fine Grain Buffer, Liquid Wax, and Hand Glaze... 3 bottles, 3 coats... I'm happy...

Anyway, I was wondering what all you guys use? Right now I wash it w/ turtle wax junk I got from Sams Club, then I hit it w/ the cleaner/buffer stuff (by hand), then i follow that up right away w/ a coat of the wax, let that stand for about 20 minutes, take it off and buff it with a cotton t-shirt using Meguiars Quick Detailer (same stuff as Final Inspection, just cheaper...) and then I follow it all up with the hand glaze, buff it to mirror shine, and hit it w/ another round of quick detailer...

~Lance
  • jackjack5jackjack5 Member Posts: 1
    I ran into a real problem trying to change a backup light on my 2002 Rendezvous. The manual states that the cover must be removed, then seven wingnuts, and four bolts, two at each end. But when I tried to do it there were no bolts. The second cover is fastened with plastic snaps which cannot be removed without ruining them. I had to go to the dealer who charged me $75 to change the bulb. This is very poorly designed. Access to change a bulb should be easy.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    What about the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty Buick offers?
    I don't believe GM's warranry covers light bulbs of any kind, including the smaller ones in the car... Those plastic fasteners I believe are removable... my trans am was basically held together with them... just get some leverage and pull, they'll make a lot of clicking noises as they come out and you'll be able to plug them back in...

I've noticed that a lot of things in our manual are from the aztek, so it may be that way on that vehicle, but not on our rendezvous.

~Lance
  • ppalonskyppalonsky Member Posts: 34
    I have not had to wax the new RDV yet. When I took delivery it was all shining, but upon closer inspection at home I noticed it needed a waxing. I called my salesman at the dealership and he agreed to have it hand waxed, as long as I did not ding them when I got the GM owner's survey. I guess they really care about those things.

In any case I use Meguiar's Gold Wax and Quick Detailer on my Ford Expedition and like the results. However, given Lance's rave reviews on the 3M stuff I'll have to go to Pep Boys. Anyone who puts 3 coats of wax on his car must really know his car care products.

Today I gave my RDV it's weekly bath and polished the chrome wheels with Mother's Chrome polish. This stuff worked great. It put a high gloss shine on the wheels and the Buick chrome inserts on the car front and back. I highly recommend this stuff for those with the optional chrome wheels.
    The 3M stuff is really good, but only get the liquid wax if you're doing things by hand. Unless you want unsightly swirl marks on your paint, I wouldn't recommend using the hand glaze or rubbing compound without an orbital buffer or other machine polishing tool.

I use Eagle One Wadding Cloth on my rims... I've got the chrome rims as well. It's pretty good stuff but it takes a second to put on and off just like anything else. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry i'll actually throw a coat of wax on the wheels along w/ the rest of the car. It usually turns out very nice.

My habits for waxing and polishing are a carry over from when I had my 99 Trans Am WS6, so that might account for why I go so in depth...

~Lance
    Hi Lance
    Lance when I picked up my RDV the dealer said he put a protective coat of some sort on it so that I wouldn't have to wax it for about a year. Well the year is just about up. I am not sure what he used but is there something I need to do before I wax it, and what wax do you recommend?

Ken
    I'm not sure exactly what they put on there, but I would use Dawn dishwashing liquid to wash your car in order to get it all off. Then apply your wax...

As far as the wax itself... I think it depends on how much effort you're willing to put into it...

If you're looking for a once a year wax, I recommend Zymol (it's the blue stuff that smells like a pina colada). It takes longer to put on since you have to apply it in 2 x 2 areas, wait a minute or two, and then remove it, but it will protect your paint longer than say Meguiars Gold. Meguairs is good but you have to keep up with it, in other words a coat a month is recommended, and it'll take 2 or 3 months before it really starts to look good.

I just started using the 3M Liquid Wax and I'm really happy with it. I like it because I can cover the entire surface of the car, let it sit (longer the better) and then take it all off all in one process instead of having to wait for individual spots to cure.

Anyway, you've got some options... good luck!

~Lance
    I am not sure what kind of wax the dealer applied when I first picked up my RDV. It was some kind of hot liquid wax that was suppose to protect my vehicle for about a year or so. The Dealer does this on all new Buick's he sells at no charge. A friend of mine had a similar product applied to his new Toyota and it cost him about a hundred bucks or so.

The Dealer said I didn't need to wax it for one year. However during the winter I had it washed and waxed every couple of weeks depending on the weather. It was a very mild winter so I guess I had it washed and waxed at least twice a month. So what ever wax that was applied by the dealer is probably long gone by now.

( I am an old person and I don't have a heated garage that is why I didn't do it myself. )

I think I am going to try that 3M Liquid Wax. How often does that need to be applied and how hard is it to apply?

Ken
    Ken, if you want a low effort "wax" that will last for months, you should try a polymer product such as Zaino or my favorite, Klasse. You simply wipe it on (no rubbing), let it dry to a haze, and then wipe off (no buffing). They leave no residue, protect the paint from UV radiation, and shine just like a good carnauba wax.

Oh yeah, a 16 oz bottle will last five years or more!

Check out all the products here:

http://www.properautocare.com

I bought Klasse polish/wax last July when I bought my RDV. I waxed my RDV at the end of July and haven't touched it since. Even after numerous washes and a Seattle winter, water still beads off the paint.

Good luck,

Brian

Wow, that takes me back. When I had my Trans Am I used Zaino for a year... I think I got up to like 20 coats or so before I realized it wasn't getting any shinier... haha, oh well. Ken, that 3M stuff should do you just fine. It's reletively inexpensive... you can apply it either monthly or quarterly, depending on whether you're going for protection or looks... and it's very easy... you just cover the entire car with it... sit around (you can leave it overnight if you want...) and take it all off. I recommend following it up w/ a mist of either Meguiars Final Inspection or any other "instant detailer". It'll really makes things slick and shine.

~Lance
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    I have read all the RDV forums and I need some advice re: motor oil. Can somebody tell me the pros and cons of synthetic oil (e.g., Mobil 1)? Or should I stick with regular oil? I haven't a clue.

As for waxes, I really like Nu-Finish. Apply, let dry to a haze, wipe off. Do it twice within a month and it will last almost a year.

Thanks for any help re: motor oil.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Check out Engine Oil-A Slippery Subject in Maintenance & Repair. LOTS of comments/opinions of synthetic vs. dino oil.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • ppalonskyppalonsky Member Posts: 34
    My Indigo Blue Rendevous was starting to look a little dull today, so it was time to test the 3M wax that I bought based on Lance's recommendation here. What a great product!!! It was easy to put on and came off just as easy. The shine was amazing and only got better when I followed it up with the Meguirs mist again based on Lance's recommendation. The final result was better than when I drove the car off the lot, producing a deep wet looking shine. My thanks to Lance for passing on this suggestion.
  • netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the report on the waxing. I'll probably try the products based on that. :-) (thanks to Lance, too!)
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I think I may need to replace the rubber wiper inserts in a few months. Does anyone know if the wiper blades are the same as on the GM minivans?
  • tf34mechtf34mech Member Posts: 2
    I have tried to keep the interior as clean as possible but with 2 kids it is an loosing battle. Any
    one have any tips on cleaning stains on the cloth inserts of the seats and on applying leather cleaner?
    I've used both the liquid and the wipe on the leather and the wipes seemed to work good.
    Thanks
    Sm
    Has anyone taking their RDV through a car wash (brush-free type)? I'm wondering if the roof would be cleaned thoroughly as the spray nozzles seem rather low on many car washes I've seen in my area (NYC). No chance to wash by hand in the current freezing temperatures.
    That's a good question. I haven't hand-washed my RDV in over a year...and that's the last time I even looked at the roof!

Out of sight, out of mind.

Unfortunately I have a second story in my house that looks right over my driveway where I park my RDV. I can see all the dirt that's collected on the ribs of the roof top. I may have to take a chance at the car wash if more snow/freezing rain hits my area - just too much dirt (and salt?) on my baby.
    Yeah the roof is fine in the car washes, hehe. THe only thing you need to make sure is that you remove the OnStar antenna (if you have it) on the back window or at least tilt it down so that it's pointing towards the ground and not the sky, that way it won't be torn off or bent...

I would actually recommend a brushed carwash to get road salt off though. A lot of the spray (touchless) washes will just move the salt around and can't really get the stuff that's working it's way into your paint.

Another good suggestion to save some money would be to fill a bucket up w/ hot water and dish soap and just use a sponge to clean sections of your car in the garage and then just use a towel to dry those sections off. It'll take some extra time but you won't freeze certain body parts off and your car will be clean and you'll have $10 in your pocket.

~Lance

I live in the North East and some of the car washes in this area recycle the water.
    They claim to filter the water before reusing it but it still isn't a good thing to wash your vehicle with salt water. I would definitely ask if they recycle the water and stay away from them if they do.

Happy Holidays

~Ken
    I took her for a day of snow tubing in eastern Pennsylvania and she was almost white up past the side cladding from all the stuff from winter roads. After that I had no choice but to take her to a touchless car wash. The carwash did an OK job which included an undercarriage wash. It got the roof OK, no soap lefted over or anything like that. I took a final wipe with a towel and there was still dirt left but isn't as visible (I have the Pewter color). I don't have a garage, so washing by hand is out of the question.
  • olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    I am not concern about the engine, it is an old proven design. My concern is the tranny. Are you guys using anything special to increase the AT life? Any special AT fluid brand?
  • 03whitecxl03whitecxl Member Posts: 13
    You shouldn't have anything to worry about the engine or the trans. giving out. This engine has been around for about 20 years! although it has been upgraded to be a fine performer. I have this basic engine in my 90 Turbocharged Grand Prix and they easily go 120-200 miles even turbo'd. The trans is the 4t65-e which is the same as in the supercharged grand prix's and are rated for much more power than these engines produce. I was glad to hear these had the better trans. instead of the 4t60-e which often give out at 75-110k miles. If you have the tow package, you have a trans cooler & heavy duty radiator, so there shouldn't be anything to worry about with it.
    Perhaps our transmission was an exception, as it was replaced at about 30,000 miles. I'm glad it was changed under warranty and hopeful that it'll last me or someone else the 110K+ miles that you mentioned. Btw, we do have the towing package, but only carry 4 bikes on the back - no actual towing. Our Rdv is, of course, the '02.

John B.
  • pgn421pgn421 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know how to get better gas mileage? different air filter perhaps? It is a pain to change.
    PGN
  • sequimsequim Member Posts: 1
    How do you change the air filter? Never in my car owning experience have I seen such a horse shoed arrangement as this air filter! I haven't a clue about how to go about it.

I'd also be interested in improving mileage too. I've developed a light touch on the accelerator and actually have my foot off it as much as possible, but my mileage is still disappointing unless I'm on the freeway for long stretches.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Are we talking AWD or FWD, 3.4 or 3.6 engine; climate control or manual A/C? I'll start things off here - I'm driving an '04 FWD 3.4 CX w/manual A/C and 10K miles. With the Affinity tires at 36 lbs and the A/C off, I'm averaging 23MPG. That's with a light foot driving about 1/3 in NYC traffic [the Rondy's a joy there!]; 1/3 interstate miles and 1/3 suburban short trips. On straight runs to the Shore [60 mph on flat ground], I've gotten 31 mpg as measured when I actually filled the tank. Putting on the [excellent!] A/C in the recent steambath weather is costing about 2 mpg. I find that using the cruise control on a hilly [even SLIGHT upgrades] highway causes frequent downshifts which I'm sure waste gas. Instead, I use my "right foot with a fresh egg under it" technique to try and stay in 4th gear. My guess is the more powerful 3.6 engine should avoid the downshifts and actually use LESS gas. Am I right? Let me know.
  • mstockhowemstockhowe Member Posts: 4
    I have the 3.6L engine (AWD) and it still downshifts on slight up hill grades when it doesn't seem it should have to. We would love to see 31 MPG -- best so far was 25 going 60MPH on an extended run. Haven't tried calculating it at the pump -- relying on the onboard computer. The AC (climate control system) seems to take more than 2MPG, especially in the city.
  • pgn421pgn421 Member Posts: 5
    Hi
    Have you changed your air filter onyour rendevous? Is it hard? A service station quoted me 20.00 tochange it. It looks likea nightmare.
    PGN
This discussion has been closed.