Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

1221222223224225227»

Comments

• snukesnuke Posts: 81
    edited October 2013
    I definitely agree with you regarding the quality of the interior and exterior plastic of the CR-V. I have the 2012 CR-V. I have previously owned 1988 and 2000 Accords and the quality of the interior and exterior of both vehicles seem to have been better than my current CR-V. To hopefully help prolong the finish of my CR-V, I am waxing and applying protectant to the interior every 3 months which is something I should not have to do. But, I don't want to take any chances because I try to keep my vehicles for a minimum of 10-years and I like keeping the appearance looking like new.

To clean my windshield and windows, I purchased a better quality microfiber towel. It seems to help but I can't seem to get them looking as well as I would like. I will clean them in my garage but once I am in the sunlight, I can see all of the streaks that I hate to see. I now have just decided to live with it.
  • I've used Armor All on my E exterior plastic which was very tough and scratch resistant. Don't like to use chemicals inside the car and don't know of anything on the marker that protects plastic from scratches. I didn't have any scratches in the rear until yesterday when i had a passenger who had a wrist watch on the left hand. Now i have 2 scratches in the door handle. I'm going back to the dealer for windshield replacement and will look at EX if it has better quality interior.

Try youtube for glass cleaning tips

One glass expert gave me wool pads that they use and recommended regular turtle wax. Some tips are so good i wish i had my old car to try them.
  • cuysecocuyseco Posts: 45
    Hi,
    I just bought the car a few days ago.
    Anybody had an issue with this model ??
    Thanks
  • It has 360,000km on it (over 200,000miles). Never any problems. The exterior and interior still looks great and is still a great vehicle to drive. This must be some sort of a record, but, believe it or not I am still using the brake pads that came with the CRV from the dealer!! Now mind you it is a manual transmission model and I usually anticipate intersections and role to a stop and gear down to slow down.
  • no mechanical problems but built quality is meh. it's a ~$25,000 people will always find something, as one service mngr told me. Reminded me when i bought a POS $22,000 chrysler many years ago and service mngr told me same thing. Imagine what BMW, Mercedes, Audio service managers tell their customers. Its a $50-100,000+ dollar car.... if it was a $1,000,000 lambo or bentley or rolls or whatever then we can have expectations. Horrible. For the money we should have expectations and accept nothing but perfection. I used to be a honda fan. Not anymore.
  • have the same issue, was told by Honda that it may be the driveshaft. they diagnose this by removing the shaft and driving the car (can be dome with front wheel vehicles.) If the shimmy is still present they will remove axles, one at a time, to see which one it is. Honda uses a donor car to use parts before proceeding.
  • I have a 200 CRV with 110,000+ miles. The only problems I have had thus far is the dashboard clock failed a few years ago, and the computer registered a problem which was temporal. my dealer always addresses me by name when I come in for routine maintenance (they have one guy that plugs my license number into their data base and this tells them my name). I am 71 years old, and I hope this car will last me the rest of my driving life!

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 64,749

@5biker275 said:
    I have a 200 CRV with 110,000+ miles. The only problems I have had thus far is the dashboard clock failed a few years ago, and the computer registered a problem which was temporal. my dealer always addresses me by name when I come in for routine maintenance (they have one guy that plugs my license number into their data base and this tells them my name). I am 71 years old, and I hope this car will last me the rest of my driving life!

You left off a digit. What year is it?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• newacollnewacoll Posts: 1

How do you release the tether cable in order to replace the fuel cap on a 2006 CRV?

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,603
    edited July 2014

As I write these words, our 2003 CRV is having the "Big Fix" done!

We bought it new and it now has a whopping 78,000 miles on it. At 75,000 miles I finally had the brake pads replaced and I was told they could have gone at least another 5000 miles.

Other than that,only scheduled services have been done.

Until now....

For the past few months, I''ve been feeling a clunk in the front suspension at times.

The A/C compressor has been making some sounds that mean impending doom and at stop lights I can feel my master cylinder bypassing a bit.

Were the average person to drive this car they probably wouldn't have noticed any of this.

So, I ordered these parts along with a new A/C condenser/dryer through the internet and a moonlighting Acura tech I know is doing the work. Total cost for everything - 1100.00.

Now, I'll be ready for the next eleven years/78,000 miles!

So, today I drive our 2013 CRV that my wife drives and I just don't like certain things about it probably because I rarely drive it.

Top on my list of "don't likes" would be the electric power steering that feels like I'm "pointing" the car down the road with a joystick. Vague, numb feeling.

Poor visibility and sight lines compared to the 2003. Hard to determine where my wheels are when making right turns.

Oh, I know because of rollover standards a lot of new cars have lousy visibility.

Two more years left on it's lease and I can say we will not be buying it at the end as we planned to.

Other than that, it's great car and the things that bug me probably wouldn't be noticed by others.

EDIT:

Well, our 2003 CRV has been fixed including a new A/C compressor that it didn't need.

Turns out the expansion valve is bad which causes the compressor to cycle endlessly. A mis diagnosis by the shop that inspected it.

Gets fixed next month. another 150.00. No big deal.

• therivertheriver Posts: 70

question on tires: I have an '12 and am planning on replacing the OEM tires soon. I need to replace all 4. This is the first time I have changed tires with a tire montioring system. Anything I should know. Will the tire people try to sell me new valves or whatever and claim they need ot be changed when you change a tire

Reusing old valve stems is not a smart thing to do.

• My '04 CRV with 170K miles is starting to burn some oil, so I have been using the '12 CRV to do intermittent hauling (ladder, 2x4, nothing crazy) I used to do in the '04. To my surprise the back window of the '12 doesn't open - which was very handy on the '04. Anyway, since it was a short drive, I figured I would just stick it out a little and tie down the door. Again, to my surprise, I could not find anything to tie the rope onto on the door - plenty of places to tie the rope on the car, but no hooks on the door. I ended up just tying the rope from right to left on the outside of the door - the other end to a hook on the inside, which is silly - my other option was to tie it around the door from top to bottom. I don't have a roof rack - anyone have some ideas?
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    edited November 2014
    You could try sticking the ends out the back window, with the 2x4s resting on the front passenger seat floor, assuming you can get the seat back out of the way enough. The ladder though would be too bulky and long for that.

Sounds like the diagonal tie-down with the interior hood worked fine. Sometimes you can get the end of a bungie to hook into the area around the latch.
  • gillbgillb Posts: 48
    I was wondering if anyone could help me understand what's really necessary for my 2014 Honda CRV FWD 30,000 mile service. Prices at dealerships seem to range from $299-$475. From just an oil change, inspections and filter changes to flushing out every fluid in the car. I'm only going to have the vehicle another 7 months/ 7,000 miles or so before turning it in.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide says to get an oil and filter change and change your cabin air filter, rotate the tires and check the drive belts. That's it.

Estimated cost for a random zip code is $133.

It looks pretty easy to change the cabin air filter yourself.
  • A couple of random questions, please, about my 2016 Cr-V, EX-L: my car was a dealer swap, and arrived without the front license plate holder attached to the bumper. When I asked the selling dealer about installing it, they stated that they would have to drill through the bumper to install it, and that most people did not want that to happen. So, I am leaving it off, for now. Does anyone have this issue? Also, I am not seeing the green light on the rear view mirror when it is working at night, even though the manual says that I should. Again, the dealer said that they "don't see a problem". Any comments about this? Thank you in advance.
  • berriberri Posts: 7,743
    I had to have that done (you'll get ticketed if you don't have a front plate displayed). As I recall, they drilled two holes into the bumper and put inserts in that accommodated the license plate screws. Personally, I don't see the big deal, as long as they are using an insert that doesn't allow the screw to move around and gouge itself out, since the bumpers are fiberglass or plastic and the plates cover the hole. Maybe the dealer just wanted to blow you off? I had this done on both a CRV and a Toyota.

As for the mirror, is it dimming at night and everything displaying like compass if applicable? If so, you are probably fine.