Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,601
    Some rebate will almost certainly be offered. Hyundai's web site will update the rebates with the next few days, possibly tomorrow.

The rebates could be less generous, but the way the industry is going I would expect any change in rebates to be more favorable to the buyer. Also, the 2010's will probably be out sometime around June, so that might also tend to increase the rebate.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    Correction on my earlier post (tire rotation and oil changes) It would take TWENTY TIMES to get your money back!
  • ping7ping7 Posts: 3
    Thanks for comments--emailed Bales Motor company, Jeffersonville, IN, for OTD price, received quote for $19,329 OTD for car with Pop. Equip. package. also sent me a price on demo with only 1500 miles on it.
    There were 3 new GLS cars w/pop equip available: we chose one that had carpets plus mudflaps. Perhaps others can negotiate a lower price but the salesman said that's his standard internet sale price with no negotiating. They never mentioned the service plan that Oxmoor Hyundai in Louisville included as "fees" and they gave us an appointment for a free oil change. the finance mgr. went over the extended warranty options before we signed all the papers. No pressure, everything as promised, excellent communication from all. This was the best deal we could get in our area so certainly recommend this dealer. We liked the personnel and the low key, friendly atmosphere, too.
  • ral2167ral2167 ohioPosts: 742
    is that before tax and title? if no, whats the tax rate, title, and doc fees?
  • Hello all,
    I'm a 29 y/o woman (budget-minded), I live in Piscataway, NJ and i'm trying to find a good Hyundai Dealer in my area. I don't want to have to travel too far to buy but will if the price is right! I've contacted Brad Benson for a quote & i was told that they don't email quotes...whatever! I'm trying to do thorough research but it's so overwhelming! At this point I think i've narrowed down my search to the following a 2008 Sonata SE (whatever the mid level one is). I'm 5'9 & I need something that will fit me, I hate little cars ( I used to have a 93 duster in College & grad school). I don't have kids to load into whatever I choose but I want to have space in the car for me. I don't drive to work, so that's not a concern at the moment.

Here are the things i'd like your advice on:
    -Should I go with a New or Used Hyundai? What's the better deal in your opinion?
    -Is certified used a good option?
    -I'd like to know if you think that it'd be worth it to get a V6?
    -How much did you pay for your Sonata (including taxes & fees)?
    -Are there things that you recommend that I ask at the Dealerships?
    -What dealership did you buy from, where should I avoid at all costs?
    -If I buy out of state, do I pay for the state of purchase taxes & NJ taxes on it? Do you recommend buying out of state?

I'm open to all your suggestions!

Thank you for reading!
    Check with townehundia.com in Denville, NJ. Call to confirm all fees to determine your final price. Ask to speak with Joe. Tell him one of the CT guys suggested you call.

You'll have to make you own decision about "new" or "used."
  • abagriabagri Posts: 11
    I purchased a 2009 Sonata Limited yesterday with sunroof, heated leather seats, touchscreen nav unit etc for $6,900 under sticker price from Brad Benson. I was also looking to buy a used (2007/08) Sonata, but they have great rebates going on - $2000 for everyone, addl $1500 if you or a family member currently owns a Hyundai. The dealership on Rt-22 has an additional $2000 rebate.
    Here's what I advice:
    1. Decide about the exact year, model, trim and optional features you want.
    2. Test-drive the car at any dealership. Tell them up front that you are not looking to buy today, but if you like the car you'll come back to the same salesman. Decide on the exact car you want.
    3. Get email quotes from Brad Benson, Sansone (Rt-1 Avenel) and Global Auto Mall (Rt-22 North Plainfield) - using edmonds.com or cars.com. The other two gave me email quotes.
    4. Ask the dealers to match each others' quotes for the Out The Door price (base + 7% sales tax + dest charge around $700 + DMV titling and registration and doc fees around $200)
    4.5 Get financing BEFORE going to the dealership.
    5. GO IN to Brad Benson and ask for the "Internet sales manager". Folks that do their research on the internet are perceived to be well-informed and it's easier to get a great deal that way.
    6. Negotiate hard. Tell them you are ready to buy TODAY (and you should be). Talk about the out the door price and no other price. Tell them you'll walk out if they add a single fee to the negotiated price. Read up on edmonds.com, especially "confessions of a car salesman". Stick to your figure until the salesman brings in the sales manager. When you increase your price, do it in small increments, e.g. if you start from $20,000; say $20,200; $20,300; 20,350 - keep reducing the increment amount.
    7. Your greatest asset will be your willingness to walk out if the price doesn't seem right. They will tell you that the price won't be available next time you come in - never mind. This is a bad time for dealerships and they will do whatever they can to sell cars.
    8. Brad Benson is the third largest hyundai dealership in the country - that gives them more wiggle room to give you a good deal.

Regarding your other questions:
    - I got a 4-cyl... this is a family sedan, not a hot rod. The mpg difference is negligible, but the V6 costs about $2000 more.
    - DO NOT buy out of state. When you bring it in to NJ, you'll have to pay the sales tax difference anyway, plus you will have to go to the DMV yourself for titling and registration. If you get a new car, the dealer will take care of this for you.

Good luck!
  • gpb59gpb59 Posts: 82
    So what was the price OTD? You get the rebate also?
  • jack47jack47 Posts: 312
    I see this is your first post on this board.

Some who might want to check back on some prior posts will note from other posters that the Brad Benson dealership in NJ has less than a stellar reputation...they advertise so much (a large amount) off "sticker" price which is grossly inflated with dealer crap over the "MSRP".

But to each his own.

• yep, most dealers will inflate MSRP to some or more degree. The right amount is one that you get from manufacturers website.
    I'm from CT. We bought our '07 Sonata in 2/07 from Towne Hyundia in Denville, NJ. We did not have to go through any of the BS you describe. Saw their internet price, called them and received an email confirming everything.

And, yes, we bought out of state (for us) and paid the appropriate CT sales tax. Towne Hyundai took care of all the paper work regarding title, registration, etc. Of course there was a fee for this, but that was spelled out ahead of time. The fee we paid for this probably included about $50 in addition to the actual title & registration fees, which included a temporary NJ registration until the CO, title and registration were processed by CT. So, in additon to the actual state fees, we paid about $50 extra for them to handle everything. The 50 bucks was nothing after saving about $3K compared to what local dealers wanted.

There was no "end of the month" BS, no "I've got to talk with the manager" BS, no game playing at all. It was a straight forward deal.

The price ws based on invoice "minus." The invoice was exactly as shown on Edmunds with no phony add-ons such as advertising. There was no ADM or regional adjustment.
  • ral2167ral2167 ohioPosts: 742
    i wonder if a brother who lives 2000 miles away bought a 2007 sonata would qualify me for a 1500 family member rebate? if so, what documentation would i need to bring?

am looking at the exact same car-- limited with navigation, 4 cylinder. if i could get $6900 off, I'd buy today in ohio or detroit michigan area.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,911
    I think the loyalty rebate needs to be for someone in the same household, but your local Hyundai dealer could verify that pretty quickly.
    Don' think so, it has to be an "immediate" family member staying with you, but it never hurts to ask your local dealer. To get the rebate, you'll need the DMV registration card for the 2007 sonata.

I initially wanted a 4 cyl limited WITHOUT nav, but the only car this dealer had was WITH nav. To get the car off their lot, I guess they gave away the nav for pennies... YMMV. Good luck!
    Yes, this is my first post on this board. It is also my first time buying a new vehicle.

The car is a 2009 Sonata Limited PZEV with Option Group 5 (nav system), floor mats, mudguards and sunroof wind deflector. Add those options here: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/hyundai/sonata/100983414/optionsresults.html?act- ion=2

and we get MSRP as $26,750. Adding 7% NJ sales tax and $200 for DMV documentation, we get $28,822. I paid $21,500 out the door. 28822 - 21500 = $7322 off sticker. (take out the mudguards etc and slash the DMV doc fees, and you get my original figure of $6900)

I did my homework and had some luck, and that's all there is to it.
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    If that's a V6, I'd say you got a good deal. A 4 banger, as Borat would say, "not so much".
    They would have gone down another $500, but I didn't want to haggle... got the price I wanted, and would take the same deal again.
    I don't get this... a car is an expense, not an investment... no sense getting hung up over the depreciation. There is a big difference in features between the 08 and 09 Sonata. Just two features - touchscreen + voice-activated entertainment system (nav / dvd / xm / fm / aux / ipod) and the aux + usb ipod interface make the 09 Sonata a compelling buy. But different strokes for different folks I guess.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,042
    A national business reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Hyundai because of the Assurance Program (or Assurance Program Plus). Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, March 13, 2009.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• just got back from a local dealer in charlotte and was offered 19750 for a 09 V6 limited sonata without nav.

does anyone know if the nav. can be hacked to play dvds while in drive?