Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Props to you. :shades:
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,807
    "My favorite part is when he shows scraps of notebook paper where he has jotted down big company names to "prove" that they have contacted him. "

Yeah, that's rich. I just emailed the reporter, asked him why he's advertising a scam. We'll see what he says...
  • richievrichiev Posts: 5
    havent heard anything about either of these links/ sites you have posted.

i heard using a little "Pure Acetone" (from a beauty supply store) in your tank (approximately 3oz per 10 gallons) will boost mileage up to 40 miles per tank on average.

i'm going to try it today actually and see if it does work :) ;)
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,432
    Be advised, it can destroy rubber and will eat your paint. It also increases the pressure in your gas tank possibly interferring with emissions. My question. Does the added cost of acetone, plus the hazards add up to any savings? Snopes says it does NOT increase your mileage.

Welcome to the forum

And be careful with that stuff. I would not try it in any car under warranty. It could void it.
    this is the point of usine 3oz per 10 gallons. that is too little of a dose to have impact like you are speaking of as well. thisnk about gasoline? do you think it has corrosive properties to it? i believe so!
    You might wind up with a little boost if the acetone cleans out your fuel injectors. Some say the solvent will ruin the rubber tubing in your gas line connections and mess up your ECU and oxygen sensors too.

MythBusters reportedly tested adding acetone to gas and recorded a decrease in mpg.
    i love advice however advice is not always what its cracked up to be.

everyone has their own opinions and everyone is entitled to them. ( not saying you are wrong so please dont take what i said as an attack at you or anyone)

i personally like to test things on my own to determine if whats being said is true or not. there is always a "yin" and "yang" to everything and the only way to determine is to test test test.

that is my opinion on the matter

even doing just one test on a subject is never enough to get feed back. i mean when we all started learning how to walk, did we try once and fall and decide that walking doesnt work but meanwhile people all around us are walking everyday? of course not, we get right back up and try it again and again and again until we get it right, just most people and i mean 99.9% of people give up just shy of success and then determine that something doesnt work and have that opinion and spread that to the world of people they know and so on

on the other hand you have someone who keeps on keepin on and finds a whay it works and tells everyone they know and so on and so on and thats why we have the "yin" and "yang"

again, just my opinion :)
    Let us know the results.
    i most definately will and thank you for giving me the opportunity to post something of interest and listening to what i had to say :shades:
    what kind of acetone? there is a difference in acetone you know?. if you buy the acetone in home depot then yes that is possible "pure acetone" in a beauty supply shop may see different results
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,148
    ...the only difference is the purity level, and you can find 95% pure (or more) just as easily at AutoZone as you can at a beauty supply shop (it's just waaay cheaper at AutoZone).

That said, I have a few comments about the Acetone scam:

1) Acetone has been scientifically tested as a gasoline additive since at least the 1930s, and never once has it ever done anything but reduce fuel economy in any published study.

2) Mythbusters, Snopes, et-al. have tested this stuff repeatedly, and so far at least, the best and most optimistic test shows a zero increase in fuel economy (all of the rest showed a decrease).

3) Tests by individuals are statistically irrelevant and usually fraught with errors. The fact is that it is very difficult to control your driving and the environment to any acceptable degree, and there is absolutely no way you can "test" acetone and then say, "See, it works."

4) With point #3 in mind, there were a bunch of Acetone advocates populating this board back in 2005, and they were claiming "at least 35% fuel economy gains" from using ~3oz per 10 gallons of gasoline. I didn't believe a word of it, however, to quiet their protests of, "How are you going to know if you don't try it?", I tried it. At the time I had a very consistent 55 mile commute (each way) that was Cruise Control for all but 3 miles, and my fuel economy in the old car that I was driving was a pretty consistent 22.5 mpg. I ran ten consecutive tanks with the acetone additive, and not even one of the tanks made it as high as 22.0 mpg (two tanks made it to 21.2, and the low tank was 19.7). So much for "at least a 35% gain".

Long story short, it is quite certain that folks who get better mileage do so because they are conscious of how they're driving and keep a smoother throttle. Had they done the same thing with regular pump gas, they would most likely have gotten as good as or better mileage.

The good news was that after I posted my results, the Acetone advocates left us alone here and went somewhere to make their pie in the sky claims.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vpitmanvpitman Posts: 2
    Finger nail polish remover is usually around 40-50% acetone, the rest is a combination of other goo that will do your car no good (skin softener and fragrance? on injectors? Really?). Some new types don't have any acetone at all in them. Now, I know finger nail polish remover is fine for cleaning surfaces before putting on silicone, but I don't think you're looking to do that...
    I haven't read up this, but I would think you're looking for 100% pure acetone from Home Depot, Lowe's, a hardware or paint supply store. I'm dubious, but I AM curious how it goes.
    FWIW, if anybody really wants to give Acetone a try, I have a bit over three-quarters of a gallon of 100% Acetone that I'll give away for free to the first person who wants it. I live about 30 miles north of Boston, PM me if you're interested.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Gary says, "And be careful with that stuff. I would not try it in any car under warranty. It could void it. "

How, praytell, would the carmaker know a person used acetone in their tank to the point where they would have enough evidence to void a warranty?
    How, praytell, would the carmaker know a person used acetone in their tank to the point where they would have enough evidence to void a warranty?

If the seals go or if there is tank and fuel system corrosion, then it's pretty easy to tell if some form of an additive has been used.
    Understood.

But how would they know the OWNER had done anything wrong themselves to cause the problem? Why not just blame it on bad gas, etc? Deny Deny Deny.

Unless they have a video of you adding acetone to your tank, I'm thinking any law school grad could argue your case for you in small claims court.
    It's highly unlikely that any one tank of gasoline, even if it's "bad gas" would cause that kind of damage, and if it did, then there would be LOTS of folks with the problem making the source of the bad gas easy to pinpoint.

Said another way, the kind of damage I'm talking about is the result of prolonged exposure to a solvent that the fuel system wasn't designed to accomodate. That said, in an effort to silence the very vocal acetone advocates populating this board a couple of years ago, I tried it in an old beater for ten consecutive tanks. I've since driven that car nearly 60,000 miles since I last put acetone in the tank, and so far at least, I've yet to have any fuel system issues. I'm not so confident that would be the case if I had continued using it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    We're not opposed. I was just asking because Gary had pointed out that using acetone might somehow void a warranty and I think that is not likely.

Most warranties expire around 36K, so I don't think using acetone in every tank for the first 36K miles would break anything before the warranty expired.

Now if you have one of those "high dollar" 100K warranties like the ones I like to buy, then you might have a concern.

But not for the run-of-the-mill 36K basic warranty.
    These folks are advertising in the USA Today today.

121 mpg in a normal gasoline car

Can you imagine what being able to burn all the gasoline in your engine would mean to fuel savings? Here’s what our scientific testing has shown: In one test at our Research Facility, we got 9X the fuel efficiency from a gas guzzling 318 V-8 Chrysler engine. We ran a 318 V-8 Chrysler engine on a brand new state of the art dynamometer (the same testing equipment that Detroit uses) at 3,000 rpms under a 50% load for an hour. This test condition approximated an 8 cylinder van with a 318 engine, traveling up a 30 degree incline for one hour, at 65 miles per hour. Before the PICC modification, the engine used 18 pounds of fuel. At an average weight of 6.15 pounds per gallon for gasoline, that would equal 2.93 gallons of fuel. Converting that into miles per gallon, it got around 22 mpg.

The researchers then switched the fuel injection process to the PICC Modification and ran the engine under the exact same conditions for another hour. Now, the engine used only 2 pounds of fuel instead of 18 — an increase in efficiency of 9x. In other words, the vehicle traveling at 65 mph up a 30 degree incline for an hour would have obtained almost 200 mpg! When they shut off the engine, the researchers reported that it coasted on the plasma for another two minutes.
    What Does This Mean To You?

This test with a 318 V-8 gas guzzling engine is just the first big V-8 engine that we ran under scientific conditions at our Research Facility. We believe based on results like these that our plasma could revolutionize fuel economy for ALL vehicles — including SUVs and Pickups — that should easily get better than 100 miles per gallon with the PICC. To be able to modify SUVs of any size to get 100 mpg minimal fuel economy will revolutionize the auto industry!

Sounds to me like another "big ole scam."
    Another Dennis Lee product.
    Unless they have a video of you adding acetone to your tank, I'm thinking any law school grad could argue your case for you in small claims court.

If you got the money to take on Toyota in court, why would you worry about saving a few ounces of gas using acetone? Using biodiesel can void your warranty if it can be determined you used a poor batch and it caused some problem in the engine.
    Also known as Jeff Otto. He likes to recruit MLM members in churches. They have a built in audience to sell to. I know that is how my folks got sucked in. Hard to believe a Christian would cheat you. They need to read about the money changers in the temple. Things never change.
    You are joking, right?

People with money are some of the tightest tightwads around !!! Just 'cause you have it don't mean you want to waste it.

For people who EARNED their wealth, after having a taste of the good life, they know that money don't grow on trees and every penny counts for something.

I've yet in my life heard about anyone using acetone to the extent that it ruins their fuel system, so at this point, it's all just fantasy anyway.
    I am trying to figure out what your point is. DO you think using acetone is a smart thing or a dumb thing? Do you think trying to beat an automaker in court is a wise use of hard earned money? When we considered buying a diesel for Hawaii and running on B100 I contacted the dealers and the biodiesel company. VW & MB both have a policy of allowing B5 to be used in their vehicles. There is still a concern if for some unforeseen reason the engine was damaged, would running biodiesel void the warranty. I would probably take the chance with that as it is a recognized great fuel. I would never dump acetone in my cars gas tank. That is some nasty stuff and I am sure you would be breaking some kind of EPA regulation using it for other than it is sold for.

Acetone

A colorless liquid. Flash point 165°F. Lethal by inhalation and highly toxic or lethal by skin absorption. Density 7.8 lb / gal (less dense than water). Vapors heavier than air. Produces toxic oxides of nitrogen during combustion. (NOAA Reactivity 2007)

So if you want to run it in your car you will be adding NoX to the air you breathe.
    I think it's a risky thing to do - but if it can save a person hundreds of dollars a year on gas, they will do it.

And I don't think any warranty EVER will get denied because of using acetone, because I don't think anyone will ever use it enough to damage their internals.

On fighting 'Yota in court: If I knew 'Yota could not PROVE I damaged my car, and they were refusing to fix it based on an assumption, and that repair was going to cost me $5,000, and I still owed $20,000 on it and wanted to keep the car, then YES I might decide to take them to small claims court.

Is that decision right for every situation? Of course not. But if you are the kind of person who wants to use acetone in your car (I tried it in my HCH with underwhelming results) then I don't think worrying about a denied warranty needs to come into play.
    For various reasons, Acetone has been scientifically tested as a fuel additive since at least the 1930s, and it has never once yielded any positive results with regards to BSFC. With that in mind, acetone use has been relegated to a religious thing, some believe and loudly profess that belief, some do not and aren't shy about saying so, and everybody else sits on the sidelines and scratches their collective heads wondering what all the fuss is about.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,884
    Well there's an award for everything now. So why not one for the gas savers?

Just Ask Dub Schwartz! and you'll get an answer. :P

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,884
    Not really a gizmo or gadget, but a FL couple were sentenced in a biodiesel scheme that bilked investors out of $21 million.

Don't Be A Sucker

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

It never ceases to amaze me in this day of information, how many people are so uninformed. What is amazing in this scam is the time frame. Nine years ago fuel was dirt cheap. Probably caught a lot of greenie types thinking they would save the planet. Get rich quick schemes take advantage of humans that are all greedy from birth.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    I would like to have the $$$$ the guy made on selling the litle magnet thingies that attached over your fuel ine to take out the whatevers and give you better mileage.
This discussion has been closed.