Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,922
    I think you have very motivated seller! Make him an offer! He will get a lot less for the car in an auction than selling it himself. Be sure to get his firm offer of "out the door" price in writing e.g. email before making the trip there.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 28,622
    agreed with Backy. much better for them to sell at a bargain price to a buyer than to get less sending to auction. Formulate a strong but not crazy price, and make it. Make sure they know you are ready to buy immediately (I assume you are) if they come up with the right #.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• I would be down as I'm really interested in the vehicle but I think that 5/10 days won't be enough for me to gather the funds and get everything ready.
    Aren't I supposed to have a car insurance before buying any car ? I have never owned a car before and I needed some clarification about that.

Thanks.
    edited September 2014
    Re financing, you can ask the dealer about their financing options. Some offer good rates. Also, it takes very little time to get an OK on a car loan from a bank, if you can provide basic information such as your work history, income verification etc.

Re insurance, you don't need insurance until you buy the car. But start checking now--just give the car's VIN to the insurance company and they can give you a quote. You can always switch insurance providers later if you find a better rate.
  • Thanks for the info. What insurance provider provide the best value for the money ? I am looking for something affordable but not something so cheap that it won't provide any decent coverage.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    edited September 2014
    You should shop around - it doesn't take too long to get a quote. I'm shopping right now and have been to two agents (one gave me a quote online). Same coverage came in $200 higher on one.
    Definitely shop around, but be sure to get quotes from Progressive, Geico, and Liberty Mutual.

If you finance the car, there are minimum insurance coverages you must have. Ask the insurance company about that when you get the quotes.
  • So the dealership keep decreasing the price, it is now at 13,837$ on their website ( used to be $14,435 a week ago ) which sounds to be really low compare to kbb estimations. What are your thoughts on that ?
    Buy it before someone else snaps it up! They are trying to sell it before they have to take it to auction. Be sure to get a CarFax from the dealer (they should give it to you for free), it can help ensure the car hasn't had major body work.
  • tristan15tristan15 Posts: 21
    edited September 2014
    well the car is not appearing on cars.com anymore, I went back to the dealership website and they changed the price to 16,837$. Are they just playing around ? Which is nice is that I still had the webpages opened so I have the visual proof that they actually put the car at 13,837$ and I have the email of the quote when it used to be 14,435$.

EDIT: Nevermind, it got sold.
    Could be gone. First rule if used car shopping. When you see a deal, snooze and you lose.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• It's okay. I could have never gotten it in time. As I was saying, i'm from france and so I just got in the process of taking my driving licence in the usa. And the earliest date to take the driving test is in a month.
    Hopefully, other good offers will be posted.
    Ah byes, having a license provably cones in handy. There will always be another car coming along

• Yeah I am sure. I just need to be patient and get everything ready on my side.
    I had another question, I might not be able to gather all the funds, what alternatives do I have ? Is it better to get a loan from a bank or with the car dealership. What kind of interest I might be looking at ? ( how many percentages ?)
    Thanks.
    Check out both banks and dealer rates. Sometimes automakers have special financing available on certain new cars, like 0% or 0.9%. Sometimes you can get a rebate if you don't take their low financing, but other times there is no rebate if you don't take the financing. Banks can offer very attractive rates. Those special rates require good credit. The bank I use for my car loans has a 1.75% fixed rate for 60 months on new cars now, or 2.75% on used cars, for people with good credit. But dealers can have arrangements with multiple lenders and may offer low rates also. Shop around.
  • I might be able to get this car :
    http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/617890339/overview/

What do you guys think about it ?

Thanks
  • Or also this one that was posted recently :

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/617098103/overview/

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 24,105
    between those 2, its a pretty easy choice. One is certified and one is not.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

I may need this thread in December. My short list is up to 11, and growing daily. And that is without really thinking hard about it!

qbrozen said:

between those 2, its a pretty easy choice. One is certified and one is not.

Yes, I'd go for the Certified model which also costs a little less. You get the full 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty that way, plus the remainder of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. And personally I prefer silver to black for paint color--black is sharp when clean but really hard to keep clean.
  • Tell me if I'm wrong guys but isn't the black model still under warranty too since it's a recent model ?
    Thanks
    edited October 2014
    yes, but its not as good of a warranty. When hyundais go to their second owner, the powertrain defaults to 5yr/60k. CPO reinstates the 10/100k, not to mention all the other benefits.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• So I went to a dealership to see a car, Test drove it. Then started to talk pricing, they offered 15 900 then I said 15 300. They came back with 15 650, I help my position and they came back with 15 575 then the manager left and came back with a paper that was supposed to show the price he paid the car for and that he was willing to sell me the car for what he paid for it which was 15 475 ( I had an hard time believing him and think that was another salesman trick ). He said that he couldn't go under this price since it was the price he paid for the car, so I walked away.
    What's the next step now ? Do you think they will re contact me ?
    If they left money on table, maybe. Or with a used car, if nice and priced well, just sell it to someone else. Don't take it personally, but in that scenario, you just aren't worth their time!

What they paid is irrelevant, but carries psychological weight. Bottom line, did you want the car? Was 15.3 a real aggressive offer? If so, 15.5 is pretty darned close so why not just get it?

If there was a lot left on the table they would nit have let you leave. Have you found as nice a car cheaper elsewhere?

• I ended up getting it for 15 300 talking with another manager. Thank you guys for all the help you provided me !
    good for you. enjoy it.

• Hi I am looking for a car that sounds amazing! It will be my first car and I have about $5000. Also I don't want a pony or muscle car (I actually do but insurance is a reality :( ) any suggestions? Thanks! :) 
    sounds amazing, as in exhaust/engine note? Outside of V8 rumble (hard to do reliably for that budget if you have insurance issues!) not sure what else counts, and it is of course subjective.

I would think that spending less on a car and investing in an after market exhaust system might get you what you want.

totally subjective and would need more info. Apparently, many folks think a Civic with 6 inch diameter tailpipe sounds amazing. I wholeheartedly disagree.