Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently tried to lease a vehicle again after your last lease ended, and found that average monthly payments have gone so far up that you decided to get a cheaper vehicle with a lower monthly payment or purchase a used car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you about it. Please reach out to [email protected] by Thursday, October 18, 2018 telling us a little about your experience, and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 85,195
    suydam said:

I'm not as concerned about rear seats as my dogs are pretty comfy in almost everything. And I don't even usually have a passenger in the front as this is our second car. It is nice though to have enough front seat room that you can have a passenger without feeling squished. I do think these really small Utes make a perfect second vehicle.

I would agree with you. The wife's new Outback is the family car, while my Hyundai is just for errand running and such. Don't need anything much larger, though I wouldn't mind AWD on my next car.

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• steverstever Posts: 52,683
    Congrats! Some tough choices in there
    backy said:

Update on my search for an SUV to replace my wife's 2013 Sonata that's going off-lease. After looking at lots of small and medium-sized SUVs, new and used, we bought a 2012 CX-7 tonight. 40k miles, exceptional condition (I couldn't find a mark on it anywhere), lifetime powertrain warranty included (dealer tosses that in on all vehicles with less than 60k miles). $13,600 price, $14,900 out the door; got 2.75% 5-year financing from my bank. Wasn't my first or second or third choice, it's an older design, but does everything we need at a very nice price. Nice handling (it's a Mazda after all) and plenty of room. And sharp looking with pearl white paint, tan/black interior, and nice alloys.

My first choice was the HR-V, but the lowest price I could get on one of those was $22k + TTL for an LX AWD (no FWD available in my area). Next choice was a 2013+ Escape or 2010+ Equinox, but couldn't find one with less than ~50k miles for much less than $16k + TTL. Also could have gotten a new 2015 Outlander Sport ES 2.0L FWD for $17k + TTL or a new 2015 Rogue Select AWD with Convenience Package for $209/month sign-and-drive 3 year lease, but neither one of those was that exciting to me or my wife. Was tempted on the Rogue Select though.

Backy - congrats. Can you tell me if the CX-7 has the 2.3T or the 2.5 engine in it?

We owned a 2010 CX-7 with the 2.3T for 4 years and 60,000 miles. Wife loved the "zoom zoom" aspect of the car initially, but the 19" wheels and tires (ours was a GT trim level) made for a rough ride.

Traded it in this past February for a 2015 Outback 3.6R. We got $12,500 in trade, so your price for a car that's two years newer looks pretty solid.

Enjoy!

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,922
    Our CX-7 is the SV (base) model so it has the 2.5L and 17" wheels. No racer but plenty of power for schlepping around town or highway cruising. The ride seemed fine with the smaller wheels.

It was the lowest priced CX-7 from a dealer within 50 miles of us with so few miles. There was another one, a silver 2012 SV, for a couple hundred less but had 14k more miles (2 years of driving for my wife) and had several touched-up scratches and dings, while ours has a color combo we like a lot more and no flaws I could see inside or out. Plus it has remote start--could come in handy once in awhile in Minnesnowta. :)

Gonna pick it up today, and turn in the Sonata next week after I get the front bumper replaced.
    backy said:
    Our CX-7 is the SV (base) model so it has the 2.5L and 17" wheels. No racer but plenty of power for schlepping around town or highway cruising. The ride seemed fine with the smaller wheels. It was the lowest priced CX-7 from a dealer within 50 miles of us with so few miles. There was another one, a silver 2012 SV, for a couple hundred less but had 14k more miles (2 years of driving for my wife) and had several touched-up scratches and dings, while ours has a color combo we like a lot more and no flaws I could see inside or out. Plus it has remote start--could come in handy once in awhile in Minnesnowta. :) Gonna pick it up today, and turn in the Sonata next week after I get the front bumper replaced.
    Awesome! Enjoy your new (to you) Mazda. 

• steverstever Posts: 52,683
    If you bought a new car instead of used because low rates and/or longer-terms loans kept the monthly payments more affordable, please email [email protected] by 9/11/15 to connect with a reporter.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,326
    edited April 27
    Almost time for a new vehicle in our household. Not really narrowed down to specifics yet, but I'll use a couple of vehicles as a starting point.

We have been driving manual transmission cars since 1979 until we got our 2014 Versa Note with the CVT. I'm not a huge fan of the CVT, but have learned to tolerate it. We've had nothing but hatchbacks since 2007 and really like that cargo space availability when you fold down rear seats. (I do miss my 4x4 pickup, but that's another story)

We've rented a Nissan Rogue and took it on a 1200 mile trip to the Indy 500, and like the larger size of the interior, ride comfort, how it drives, etc. STILL not fond of the CVT.

The Kia Soul has caught my eye, and can be had with a 6 speed manual, WITH things like power windows and locks, although the color choices are limited with the manual. (If I could get the red with a stick, I might be there already)

A little more than half of our driving is rural, local, small town (not city), and when we're on the highway it's usually at least a 250 mile trip.

Oh yea, I LOVE to drive me car and have very little interest in having it park or stop or stay in the lane for me. Probably getting hard to avoid, though

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Share your vehicle reviews

PF_Flyer's 2014 Versa Note Long Term Blog
    How To Start Your Own Long Term Blog

• stickguystickguy Posts: 29,439
    Try out a Hyundai Kona. Not a stick, but the limited has the 1.6T/DSG powertrain that I love in my Elantra. Short, but very roomy.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• texasestexases Posts: 8,369
    How about the Mazda CX-5?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 94,243
    You can still get a Forester with a stick. (not recommending it)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

texases said:

How about the Mazda CX-5?

Or, even the CX-3 - though, that may be a bit on the tight side, especially in the rear seat.

Who needs a back seat anyway?

stickguy said:

Who needs a back seat anyway?

SOMETIMES I have a need for that back seat, but I hear ya!

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

stickguy said:

Try out a Hyundai Kona. Not a stick, but the limited has the 1.6T/DSG powertrain that I love in my Elantra. Short, but very roomy.

Never saw one before, but not bad looking

Edmunds Moderator

• texasestexases Posts: 8,369
    My only beef - are those the headlights down low, like they did on the Cherokee before the latest restyle? Not a fan of that.
    the big ones are the fogs/driving lights. The headlights are the skinny LED string at the top edge of the hood.

the interior, including the back seat, is pretty roomy. I had the drivers seat way back, and had plenty of room to sit behind myself.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 3,672
    Do you want subcompact size, like CX3, or compact, like Rogue and CRV? I had a friend who recently shopped for the compact size. She tried the Mazda CX-5, the Rogue, the Honda CRV, and the Chevy Equinox. She eventually decided on the Subaru Outback and is very happy with it.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco new yorkPosts: 3,574
    mom just picked up an Roge week ago! loves it and the room to put the shopping to when she whent to Cosco last night!
    Passed a red Soul on the highway yesterday and said to the wife, “Too bad you can’t get that color with a stick.” Her response, “Oh... THAT?”

Soul may be out of the mix. She does like the Rogue, but we’re not super close to a decision yet

Edmunds Moderator

PF_Flyer said:

Passed a red Soul on the highway yesterday and said to the wife, “Too bad you can’t get that color with a stick.” Her response, “Oh... THAT?”

Soul may be out of the mix. She does like the Rogue, but we’re not super close to a decision yet

Rogue Sport, perhaps?

The Rogue can be a bit noisy with the CVT, as long as you don’t mind that .
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited April 29
    suydam said:

The Rogue can be a bit noisy with the CVT, as long as you don’t mind that .

Yea, we have about 1700 miles driving a Rogue. Not so much “noisy” as it is the different sounds a CVT makes compared to conventional autos or sticks. 95000 on our Note and I’m sorta kinda used to it, but it’s more like when your ears latch onto a sound and your brain starts imagining what the problem might be

Edmunds Moderator

I pointed out a Soul once when I was shopping. The wife gave that one a flat out no way.

stickguy said:

I pointed out a Soul once when I was shopping. The wife gave that one a flat out no way.

Didn't feel like a flat out no way, but I bet it would be a hard sell :)

Edmunds Moderator

We do have our annual trip to Indy at the end of the month. Maybe we'll try something as a rental and give it a 1,200 mile test :)

Edmunds Moderator

May have to reconsider the wife's opinions of styling :)

Took a trip to visit one of the kids yesterday, and a Porsche Macan slowly passes us.

She sees "Porsche" on that back end and says, "That's a Porsche?? If it didn't say that I would have though it was a Kia"

I need to take this into account ;)

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 94,243
    Other than the problem with your wife's vision...

Looks like you should buy her a Kia, remove the badges, and say you bought her a Porsche. Major brownie points!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

edited May 7
    So you can buy her a Kia, and tell her it is a Porsche?

i actually don’t think the Porsche SUVs are all that attractive.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere