Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Have you recently used your tax refund (or are you planning on using your tax refund) toward the payment of a new or used vehicle? Or, are you planning on using your tax refund toward any expenses related to your car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Are you the parent of a generation Z child (born in the mid-1990s to the early 2000s)? Do you have differing opinions on the importance of buying a car, what types of vehicles you're interested in, or just how you view cars in general? If so, a reporter would like to speak with you and your child. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

1124125126127128130»

Comments

• suydamsuydam Posts: 3,843
    Get a Camry.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Trying to find the best fit for me. Had the sienna minivan when kids were young then moved on to a BMW X3. Loved the luxury options but found myself missing the automatic doors and all the room of an enclosed truck (when I took the seats out)
    My first priority is sliding doors because I have 2 large dogs and they don’t want to get into the car unless they are sure I’m in it. Second priority is lots of cargo space. I don’t plan to normally have more than 2-3 seats. Third is safe driving in snow - we have a steep driveway. Fourth - I want a quiet ride (aside from the dogs barking) And I’d like all the bells and whistles for the driver - no need for the cabin. Any suggestions for the best choices for my unconventional needs? Is there anything out there other than a minivan? 

• texasestexases Posts: 8,548
    Only minivans come with sliding doors. 
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,440
    texases said:

Only minivans come with sliding doors. 

The French beg to differ lol

boomchek: driven 10,000+ cars, sold 1000+ cars, owned 50+ cars

• stickguystickguy Posts: 30,783
    The French copy nobody. And nobody copies the French!

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

Definitely minivan. Maybe a Chrysler Pacifica, for the stowaway seats? Unless you insist on AWD, which I guess leaves you with one option, another Sienna. Though a FWD version with snow tires should work just fine.

That Pug makes sense for a city car, don't need much room to open the door.
  • Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will consider all the options. Because Camry/Accord seems a bit pricey for me. I did some research on Hyundai sonata.
    The car is a CPO 2016 Hyundai Sonata. 35,640 M. It was a personal lease car before.
    Exterior Color : Shale Gray Metallic
    Interior Color : GRAY
    2.4L I-4 Cyl
    6-SPEED AUTOMATIC WITH SHIFTRONIC
    FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE
    NO accident.

I didn't some research on KBB and still not quite sure if it is a good deal. Thank you. The zipcode is 20601.

Thank you. I appreciate it.
    very good option. I had a 2015, and it was an excellent car.

• The price is $13,890. Still beyond my budget.
    most any CPO car s going to be.

a 2014 with reasonable miles should be in it.''

The camry I posted recently is probably a good example of what fits.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-toyota-camry-used-18231523.html

here is a 2014 Sonata (last year of that body style, also a good car). Plenty of these in your budget.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/743151613/overview/

• Thank you. I wonder how much room to negotiate with the dealer. The cars in you links look very nice.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,097
    That is actually already really cheap for CPO. They are probably at about break even on it at that price unless they absolutely stole it from the previous owner. 

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• suydamsuydam Posts: 3,843
    Never hurts to ask. Maybe they want it off the lot.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Thank you for all your comments.
    make sure to stop back and let us know what you finally buy!

• NYCWingsNYCWings AtlantaPosts: 2
    Guys I need a little advise. I am looking to buy a used car. SUV to be exact. I'm a bit lost and hesitant since I don't know much about cars and limited money so I want to make a good decision. My last truck was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and honestly no major complaints. Did broke here and there but in general it was ok. My options now are : 
    1.Mitsubishi Montero SPORT 2003 and newer
    2. Suzuki XL-7 2004 Or newer
    3. Honda Pilot 2002 or newer 
    4. Volvo XC90 2003 Or newer 
    5-6-7Explorer or the trailblazer or Axiom by Isuzu 2002 and up 
    None of them newer than 2008 since they would be out of my budget. 
    Leaning to the Pilot if I find the right price then Suzuki followed by the Montero . But reliability is my major and biggest concern since I'm planning on keeping it a while? Please let me know suggestions and or your experience. Thanks

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,440
    NYCWings said:

Guys I need a little advise. I am looking to buy a used car. SUV to be exact. I'm a bit lost and hesitant since I don't know much about cars and limited money so I want to make a good decision. My last truck was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and honestly no major complaints. Did broke here and there but in general it was ok. My options now are : 
    1.Mitsubishi Montero SPORT 2003 and newer
    2. Suzuki XL-7 2004 Or newer
    3. Honda Pilot 2002 or newer 
    4. Volvo XC90 2003 Or newer 
    5-6-7Explorer or the trailblazer or Axiom by Isuzu 2002 and up 
    None of them newer than 2008 since they would be out of my budget. 
    Leaning to the Pilot if I find the right price then Suzuki followed by the Montero . But reliability is my major and biggest concern since I'm planning on keeping it a while? Please let me know suggestions and or your experience. Thanks

It depends what you plan to use it for.

I'm not familiar with the Monteros but I believe they would be heavy on gas compared to the rest in this group.

The Suzuki XL7 came in two generations. The first ones are fairly simple mechanically, but small if you plan on using all 7 seats. These were basically an extended version of the Suzuki Grand Vitara, which was a compact SUV. They should be pretty decent for light off roading. The newer XL7's came out around 2006/2007 and are a bit roomier but I don't believe they would have as good off road capability as the first generation.

The Honda Pilots have the most car like ride out of the group, and a good combination of space and comfort. They are all 8 seaters. However the Pilots of that era (along with Acura MDX's) had some transmission issues so be aware of that.

Volvo XC90's in my opinion will cost the most to run and most to repair. They have less room than the Pilot and the rear seats are cramped. Many XC90's that I've come across that are priced low have existing issues that the previous (2nd and 3rd) owners didn't want to deal with due to high costs and therefore are looking to offload them now. Controls inside are "different" than most other SUVs and very quirky which may be hard to get used to.

Explorers and Trailblazers can be bought relatively cheap and although they might not be as refined as a Pilot, parts should be readily available at reasonable costs. Explorers might be heavier on gas though than the Pilots.

Hope that helps.

boomchek: driven 10,000+ cars, sold 1000+ cars, owned 50+ cars

• fushigifushigi Chicago suburbsPosts: 1,451
    I agree with boomchek. I'd add that Suzuki & Isuzu have left the US market so parts availability might be more of an issue over time.

Generally speaking, in order I'd go for the Pilot, Explorer, Montero Sport, and then any of the others. This is assuming you're mostly after an AWD SUV but do relatively little offroading. If you do offroad I'd say Explorer, Montero Sport, Suzuki, then the rest.

I owned a V6 Mitsu Galant (should be substantially the same V6 as the Montero Sport) for over 10 years and had no major issues with reliability.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,097
    Just based on your list, an Explorer with the 4.6 v8 is going to likely be the most reliable and cheapest to maintain; however, likely the worst one of the list to spend time in. My personal choice would be an XC90 FWD 2.5T. The only common issue with that configuration is the wheel bearings, and that is obviously not a big deal. And, speaking as someone who went from a Pilot to an XC90, it is the nicest vehicle on your list.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• NYCWingsNYCWings AtlantaPosts: 2
    I appreciate guys. Excellent input..so far...Just to clarify off road is really not something I'm planning on doing so not as important, but snow is something I would have to deal with. Also gas consumption it is a concern of course does play a role. The reason I want to get an SUV is more based on room but I don't like minivans with the exception of the Pacifica which is kind of an SUV and minivan at the same time (cheaper too) but I don't trust them at all out of things I have read. 

Based on y'all recommendations I feel a little more comfortable with the Suzuki & the Montero and a bit disappointed at the Pilot if they do in fact have possible transmission problems.

Boom the 7 passenger is not really a biggie plus like you said the newer ones (if I find one) are roomier. I really like the style of that little truck. (Suzuki). I do understand they are not in the US market but willing to gamble

Also the Suzuki and the Montero quoted much lower rates for insurance compared to the Trailblazer (the most expensive) and Explorer. Not sure why is that. Anyone know anything about the Isuzu Axiom? Love the Volvo but my concern with the XC90 is maintainance costs. 

Fushigi I also owned a Galant with mix results. 
    Thank you guys
  • Satforn18Satforn18 PennsylvaniaPosts: 3
    Will be in the market for a new Compact SUV in Spring (baby in Jan!) - Looking at 2019 Toyota RAV4 vs. Honda CRV
    new RAV4 design not out yet (as of last week). But supposed to be very nice. CRV of course is very popular. Hard to go wrong. Look at the Subaru Forester too. Nice option.

• Satforn18Satforn18 PennsylvaniaPosts: 3
    edited December 2018
    double post...somehow...OPPS
    I'll be looking at the Rav4 and the CX-5.
    Oh yeah. I just looked at CX5. Very very nice.

• simonebsimoneb CaliforniaPosts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I've been browsing the forums for a few months now and am finally looking to lease my first car in the next month or so. I like compact SUVs and can afford a monthly payment in the 400-430 range. Location is Los Angeles, CA.

Safety is the biggest need, hoping for emergency braking and rear-view camera features. Possibly more if still in the affordability range. I am still a new driver even in my mid-20s :s

Not sure if this is helpful information, the only car I've driven consistently is a 2010 Lexus RX 350 and I feel very comfortable in it (almost a bit too big for me though). I think this might be out of my price range though.

Any advice greatly appreciated into what make/model might be best for me! And of course any other advice! I'm completely out of my element here.

Thanks
    Mazda CX-5 touring.