Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Does our 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 have a problem holding its oil? Look at the pictures and tell me.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Pull a couple of plugs. If you are burning that much oil, the plugs will tell the tale. Doesn't sound good.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Is there a physical dipstick to compare to the electronic measuring system?
  • Options
    benson2175benson2175 Member Posts: 68
    My old E class would loose oil like crazy every time I took it on the hwy. Same thing; oil round the filler. Turned out it was the rubber o-seal of the oil filler cap. You can pick them up for about a $1. Once I did that, stopped loosing oil.
  • Options
    nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    with the little amount of oil around the filler, this certainly isn't the same place that quart vanished over the last 500 mi...
    might be something simple like a blown PCV that makes it consume some oil, then again it is a V12 AMG so it probably isn't
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    wouldn't a V12 burn twice the oil of a V6 and three times the oil of an I4? lol
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    like stovt001 said can you manually check it some way. Maybe the electronic system is malfunctioning. Could there be too much oil and it's coming out of the filler?
  • Options
    goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
    I know my mother's C class doesn't have any other way of measuring the oil level. After I saw that, I promised myself never to buy a car without a dipstick. Germans love making things difficult for the sake of difficulty. Look at the the way to store the top on the new Porsche 911 targa and compare it to the Corvette. Same thing with Mercedes and the oil measuring system.
  • Options
    jasond52jasond52 Member Posts: 37
    A quart and a half in 500 miles does not sound good to me...
  • Options
    ajac03ajac03 Member Posts: 37
    Yikes, that seems like a lot of oil in a short time, hopefully it's an easy fix. It will be interesting to see how many more reliability problems they have with this car at the end of its run..
  • Options
    bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    this is major either sell the car now or fix it this is not going to be cheap.
  • Options
    bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    this is major either sell the car now or fix it this is not going to be cheap.
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    The Edmunds Forums didn't have anything about Mercedes oil consumption. Darn. There must be other M-B forums out there you could check.
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    The Edmunds Forums didn't have anything about Mercedes oil consumption. Darn. There must be other M-B forums out there you could check.