Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    When you can show us something that confirms without a doubt its rust....then we will call it rust. until then....its a stain.

sorry I forgot to ident myself to SEAF.....I'm a dealer
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    "When you can show us something that confirms without a doubt its rust....then we will call it rust. until then....its a stain."

How about this:

When you can show us something that confirms without a doubt THAT IT ISN'T rust....then we will call it stain. until then....its RUST!

The burden of proof is on Mazda, not me. I'm losing out on the resale value of my car. Mazda is/will be losing sales. People have come in here and decided not to buy because of this issue. Sales may be going up, but not as much as they would have had this issue never came up. They have the resources to prove that it isn't rust, I don't. Until they come forward with evidence that what we are seeing is not rust stains, then I will continue to believe it's rust.

Mazda has a lot to lose with this issue. If it indeed is NOT rust, they without a doubt would have come forward by now to clear things up. If not with a public announcement, then with a TSB explaining why it ISN'T rust. They haven't done any such thing.
  • The first seven months and 10,000 miles of ownership with my 6s have been as enjoyable as my 00 Protege ES, yet very different.

The Stain/Rust on my doors have been the only issue. Not to minimize it. I also had two screws tightened on the drivers window support rail.

I drive my 6s hard every day on Upstate, NY roads. These are very similar to what you would see on Little House on the Prairie.

I have not had a clunk, rattle, squeak, CEL, or malfunction of any type. It is as tight as the day I drove it off the lot. It is also quicker than the day I picked it up. I average 21mpg.

The 6 is a totally different experience than the Protege'. Much more refined, balanced, comfortable and IMO a lot more enjoyable to push hard than my Protege' ES.

The MZ3 would be a better vehicle to look at. But my experience from a fit/finish/mechanical standpoint is no different between the cars. Rust/Stain issue aside. Again not attempting to minimize it. The US build quality on my 6s is as good as my 00 Protege'.

Mark.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    you say... I'm losing out on the resale value of my car.

There has been NO drop off in resale values based on real world auction transactions.

you say....Sales may be going up, but not as much as they would have had this issue never came up.

month over month sales numbers keep increasing, when many cars in its class are going down. They might have lost sales but you don't have any idea why and neither does anyone else....but with sales still going up in a down market its hard to hammer something that is selling.

you say...They have the resources to prove that it isn't rust, I don't. Until they come forward with evidence..

They came out with the fix of the problem and they call it a stain. I suspect an entire band of lawyers told them not to call it something it isnt. so if it isnt rust, they arent going to call it rust....In the end, does it matter what it's called? no. The only thing that really matters is that it gets fixed.

you say...Mazda has a lot to lose with this issue

I disagree. After 20 years in the car biz I have seen alot of problems, big and small. GM gas converted diesel engines, ford head gaskets, Firestone tire problems, GM and chrysler paint blowing off cars, pinto rear end explosions, bad tranny's in Acura's, Nissans that rusted on the boat before they arrived in the US...etc. For anyone with any problem it sucks, and you have my support...but as problems go, this isnt a huge one....people come in with the problem and we are fixing it per mazda's instructions. if mazda called it wrong then they will find another resolve. So far, it's working.

I have worked with alot of brands, including some very lofty high line brands. Mazda handles problems better than most but, regretfully they can't hold everyone hand while they complete the process. The end result is everyone who is involved will get their car fixed.
  • I am NOT a dealer, but yet I find myself believing more and more that this definitely is 2 separate issues.

I am one of the few lucky one's, at least of those who frequent this site, that does not have rust or a stain. However, if it truly is rust that is affecting "everyone's" car like a few continue to claim, than I am sure eventually there will be a much larger problem.

Kind of makes me wonder though why Mazda isn't more worried about it? One would believe that they would be much more concerned if this really is rust on "every" car that has a stain. Just a thought.
  • aromasaromas Posts: 314
    The dealer I first showed my car to also dismissed it as stains until I decided to wipe off that smug look on his face and show him my trunk. That pretty much shut him right up. Imagine that I was one of the lucky few who has a bad paint job on my trunk and stains on my doors. But they're totally unrelated. Uh-uh yeah okay, I understand now.

Seems to me the only people here who think it's stains don't actually own a 6 that has these "stains". If you went to buy a 6 tomorrow would you check for these "stains"? If you found these "stains" would it stop you from buying it? I'll answer for you. Yes and Yes on both counts. You wouldn't want to take a chance just like us who don't want to take a chance with this fix especially when Mazda can't explain how this fix eliminates the problem. It's funny how Mazda is using sealant and touch-up paint on the doors when they say it isn't rust. Must be one hell of a stain.

rkf1976: If you were Mazda and you know you screwed up you would do the same thing they would. Try to minimize it, offer a fix that will hide it until the warrenty period is over and blame it on something else if someone complains then. Mazda isn't the 1st company to do this and they sure won't be the last.
  • Yes, when I go to pick up my M6, I will likely check it. But will it stop me from taking delivery? No, it won't.

LOL, I love that post saying that Mazda should come out with a TSB to elaborate on why it *isn't* rust!! That's funny. Maybe they should also come up with a TSB explaining why they don't have rear headrests in the sedan or why Yellow isn't offered as a color any longer. Please, get real.
    "They came out with the fix of the problem and they call it a stain. I suspect an entire band of lawyers told them not to call it something it isnt. so if it isnt rust, they arent going to call it rust....In the end, does it matter what it's called? no. The only thing that really matters is that it gets fixed."

Why does the TSB call for sealing the door sashes to prevent corrosion? They may not have used the word "rust", but calling for sealant on the door sashes to "prevent corrosion" is a pretty strong hint that it's rust. Could you elaborate a little on what Mazda means by the word "corrosion"?

"LOL, I love that post saying that Mazda should come out with a TSB to elaborate on why it *isn't* rust!! That's funny. Maybe they should also come up with a TSB explaining why they don't have rear headrests in the sedan or why Yellow isn't offered as a color any longer. Please, get real."

What's so funny about that? TSBs address common problems and some of them WILL tell you what the problem is, and more importantly, what it isn't. Not having rear headrests and yellow not being offered anymore aren't common mechanical/electrical/structural problems/issues. Get real.

The TSB for my Acura had to do with the ignitor and the TSB said specifically that the problem wasn't related to the distributor. In other words, the TSB said "it's the ignitor dummy, leave the distributor alone".
    "I disagree. After 20 years in the car biz I have seen alot of problems, big and small. GM gas converted diesel engines, ford head gaskets, Firestone tire problems, GM and chrysler paint blowing off cars, pinto rear end explosions, bad tranny's in Acura's, Nissans that rusted on the boat before they arrived in the US...etc."

The big 3 have had the biggest problems in the past 20 years. What has been happening to big 3 marketshare for the past 20 years? Do you honestly think their decline has nothing to do with the crap they dumped on consumers in the 70's, 80's, and 90's? Do you think there were a lot of people who had their "paint blowing off their cars" who were repeat customers?

"but as problems go, this isnt a huge one....people come in with the problem and we are fixing it per mazda's instructions. if mazda called it wrong then they will find another resolve. So far, it's working."

So far it's working huh? How can you tell? Can you see through the sealant that Mazda is applying to the door sashes to see if there's any rust in there? Do you expect the rust stains to come back even though Mazda covered up the problem with sealant? Out of sight, out of mind? When will we KNOW if this worked?
  • "So far it's working huh? How can you tell? Can you see through the sealant that Mazda is applying to the door sashes to see if there's any rust in there? Do you expect the rust stains to come back even though Mazda covered up the problem with sealant? Out of sight, out of mind? When will we KNOW if this worked?"

I'm not dismissing this issue at all and have stated many times that I'm rather pi$$ed about the whole affair. Mazda messed up.

But...

The "fix" that was applied to my M6 was finished off with clear sealant. That really surprised me because I'd just assumed Mazda would cover it up with black or white sealant. Then it *would* be out of sight and out of mind.

With the clear sealant there will be no hiding if the problem returns.

I'm still pissed at Mazda for the issue but can't fault them for the way they have handled it so far.

If it comes back then I'll start pounding for a different "fix".
    and they aren't going to simply do the "fix" on my car. They have seen my car, but they never called me back. I finally broke down and called them. The service manager remembered me because apparantly, I am the only one who has complained about this problem.

Anyway, he said he'll need my car for at least a day because it needs to go to the body shop. Those must be some pretty crazy stains if they need at least a days worth of body shop attention. Gosh, if they were just stains, you'd think you could just wipe them off with alcohol or something.....
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The sarcasm in here needs to be toned down.

I'm sure we can have a civil conversation about this issue, and we can realize that different people have different perspectives. Nobody every got another person to change his or her mind about something by being derisive.

Find a way to disagree with each other politely or don't post the message, please.

Thanks.
  • HI AM LOOKING INTO BUYING A MAZDA 6. I HAD A 1990 MAZDA 626 AND IT RAN GREAT IN THE SNOW. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT KIND OF PERFORMANCE THEY HAVE HAD WITH THE 6. I LIVE IN THE NORTHEAST SO IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT MY NEXT CAR IS ABLE TO TAKE THOSE CONDITIONS WELL. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    JUST TO LET YOU KNOW WE CAN ALL READ YOUR POST even if you write without caps.

The 6 should be good in the snow - if you want more re-assurance of it, buy 4 snow tires and you won;t feel winter at all.

Maybe some other 6 owners can jump in.

Dinu
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    "as we prepare to close the month of Nov. for mazda sales...I can once again confirm that the MZ6 is the best selling Mazda in the Northeast. The Tribute is a very close second. Also, the MZ6 continues its month over month sales increases....The MZ6 is also one of the internets most researched cars. With that, it seems that consumers are aware of the staining issue and it is not preventing them from buying the MZ6... "

I suspect that most people don't have a clue about the rust/staining issue and that's why they're buying the car anyway. Most people don't pay any attention to these discussions, if they even know they exist.
    "They came out with the fix of the problem and they call it a stain. I suspect an entire band of lawyers told them not to call it something it isnt. so if it isnt rust, they arent going to call it rust....In the end, does it matter what it's called? no. The only thing that really matters is that it gets fixed."

If their lawyers are worth anything they told Mazda NOT to call it rust!
  • I've driven through several snow storms, and white outs so far. I find my 6s fine in the snow. I have 16" rims with the OEM tires. Sometimes I turn off the traction control depending on where I am driving. I enjoy a little wheel spin now and then.
  • Here's an update on my car, now with Eibach springs and 16x8" lightweight RX-7 wheels. You can see body roll is pretty drastically reduced. I lowered the car because there is no camber adjustment on the front tires, hence lowering is the only way to get an aggressive alignment.

I've had the car a year now and have autocrossed it a bunch of times. I'm ready to entertain any questions :)
    Nice photos!
    Does your car have rust or were you one of the lucky ones?
  • Please don't tell me people have been worrying about rust here, too. I refuse to answer this question, because I think it's one of the most overblown topics!
  • People hear "rust", and assume all the 6's will literally "rust away to nothing in a year".
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    welcome back to edmunds Steve, where rust (er, 'stain') is super topic #1!!!

btw folks, I've seen Steve autox his 6, this guy really makes the car go!!!! fast too!!
  • aromasaromas Posts: 314
    I assume stretch doesn't have rust because I would say the same thing if my car didn't. The asterick beside the 6 in the chart means the non-rusted version right. Geez I think I'm gonna trade in my 6 for a Regal.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    ... Mazda 6 rust discussion?

Please, whenever you folks find a rust dicussion beginning, and getting overly repetitive, and feel the need to spew and spout (as is your right) -take it to the Problems board.

And stop by the Buick Regal discussion on your way - its the scenic route ;) Of course, the only way to enjoy that route is in a Mazda 6. Oh, what a quandary!
  • Still wondering about 2004 model colors, as it got buried 2 pages ago by stain, er, rust, er.... whatever you wanna call it, discussions. ;-)

Any dealerships where YOU are have the new copper color, or the metallic ash color? I still have yet to see them myself (other than in pictures, and we all know that you can't go by colors in pics or on a computer).
    Saw one on the weekend when I was looking for a 3. If you wanna know what it looks like, check this link and pretend it's a 6 not a 3 :) It's exactly the same shade and it does come with the beige interior.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dinuone/detail?.dir=/Mazda3+Seda- n&.dnm=BeigeSedanGSFront.jpg

Dinu
    I'm not sure as I never saw one, but this is what the 3 looks in Lava:
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dinuone/detail?.dir=/Mazda3+Seda- n&.dnm=LavaSedanGFXSide.jpg

Dinu
  • Do you have to be a member to view those? I get this message when I click your link:

The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.

Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file.
    You might have to be a Yahoo! member...

Try this link: http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/dinuone and see the sedan folder.

Dinu
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    try this
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dinuone/detail?.dir=/Mazda3+Seda- n&.dnm=BeigeGSFront.jpg

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dinuone/detail?.dir=/Mazda3+Seda- n&.dnm=LavaGFXSide.jpg

PS: Dinu, yahoo changes the photo manager software this morning, and the old URL name convention gets screw up.