Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/rr/03lesabre.htm

"For enthusiasts or snobs this may not be your cup of tea. But for the majority of consumers, emotion and driving dynamics play no role in the vehicle selection process."

Look at what you see on the streets. If it was about driving fun and good vehicle dynamics, there would be no Corollas, Camrys, Civics, Cavaliers, etc on the road. But as we all know, there are VERY few car enthusiasts - for 90%+ of the population, a car is simply somthing they hop in to go from A->B. If it takes them there w/out issues, it's a "great car".

That is one issue, Mazda's image (or lack of) is another.

Dinu
  • bostongiobostongio Posts: 52
    From musa@mazdausa.com about the Hatchback timing:

In regards to your inquiry, the MAZDA6 Hatchback is expected to begin production in February, 2004, with a launch date in the months to
    follow. I recommend continuing to visit www.mazdausa.com for updates on all upcoming vehicles. Information for future models will be
    available there long before the vehicles are available for purchase.
  • cookie01cookie01 Posts: 369
    Hey! Edmunds is going to add some Zoom to their long term fleet:

re: To make things even more interesting, we'll be adding a Mazda 6 to our long-term fleet as well (it's due to arrive next month), allowing us to do an informal side-by-side comparison.

Meaning they're already testing a 03 Accord.
    Should be interesting.

I also noticed they paid over $22,000 for a 4-cyl with cloth and a sunroof (no traction control, etc). Seems spendy. Do they buy these cars in Southern Cal? Hope they get their M6 w/ a six... they'll spend about the same.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    actually I would prefer them to bring in a 4cyl 6 w/ manual transmission, w/ sports pkg and leather, all for about 21k.
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Posts: 237
    I have decided to go for a loaded 6s, as soon as I can find one optioned the way I want. I'm still undecided about color, it's between Lapis Blue and Sepang Green. I am leaning more toward the Lapis Blue now, because I've seen a couple of them in person and I'm getting used to the brightness of this shade of blue. It's grown on me, I think it's a pretty color for this car. Although I think the blue may be harder to keep clean than the green. However, I've only seen the Sepang Green in person briefly, so I'll have to take a good look at it again before I decide.

I was able to get a friend of mine to do a PIN for me, so I can use the S plan pricing after all. I'm working with a dealer (not the same place where I did my test drive), he seems more willing to work with me in getting the car that I want. He's expecting some cars in next week, and one of them is a Sepang Green that has the factory options that I want. I plan to take a good look at it when it gets here and if I like it, I'll get that one. If I'm still sold on the blue, then I'll probably have to order it and wait 6 to 8 weeks for it. :-( I guess there's not that many blue 6s's available, even at other dealers. I'll have to check that out for myself though.

Got a couple of questions:

1) Does the Appearance Package have the same ground effects features as the Sports Package (of course minus a few goodies, like the black interior and large wheels)? The description of the GFX is slightly different for the Appearance Package.

2) If you use S plan pricing and are also eligible for another discount (like college grad) can you use both? Or would you give up the college grad discount when you use S plan pricing? Perhaps using both is too good to be true?

3) Now that it's April, if I order the 6, will I be able to get the SAB/SAC package even if I order leather seats? The website still would not allow me to do that. I could only configure the SAB/SAC package on a cloth 6 without the Bose package and moonroof (which are inexplicably tied together).

Here are the options that I want in a 6s:

5-Speed Sport AT
    Leather Seats
    SAB/SAC
    Comfort Package
    Bose Audio (or in-dash 6 disc changer)
    Rear Wing Spoiler
    Appearance Package
    Sport Grille
    Cassette Player
    All Weather Floor Mats
    Power Moonroof (kinda optional but may be necessary to get the Bose package?)
    Compass/AutoDim Mirror (not sure yet)

I'm excited to have made this decision after months of thinking it over and dreaming about the 6, even though it looks like it still may be a while before I actually get my 6s. Details, details, details. But I will try to be patient.

Looking forward to joining the Mazda6 club. Many thanks to everyone who has helped me, answered my questions and offered friendly advice. Everyone is so helpful here, there's just a wealth of information. This board is great!

Zoom-zoom!!
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    Leftover 626s are still around in some numbers. For people looking for a bread and butter sedan it is a viable option. And when a buyer sees how heavily discounted they are, the superiority of the 6 fades fast.

I 'd be curious to know how many of those 626 sales would have been 6 sales if the 626s were not left on the lots.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    "...the reason is simple. People don't want everyone else thinking they made the wrong decision."

True, also, they may have a few lingering doubts about the 6 and alternate suggestions reinforce them. Better to wait until those doubts are resolved. Don't let others do your shopping for you...even to which color.

Cars are more than transpertation, they are part of YOUR lifestyle. The car you buy brings along with it a certain amount of brand loyalty and membership in the group that favors the model.

You have to decide which brand, which model, and which group you want to belong to.

fowler3
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    Silvercrown, I'm not familiar with the details, but I don't think PINs can be just handed to someone to use. They're keyed to the person who applied for it.

Many dealers are doing S-plan pricing for anyone, so it may not be an issue.

Good luck,

- Mark
  • mpiatekmpiatek Posts: 68
    Yes, you should be able to get the student discount in addition to S-plan pricing. My dealer said you get all the discounts that apply to you. I'm stoked that I'll be able to get the car for $500 under invoice. Doesn't get much better than that.

It looks like my car has been delayed. I still don't have a VIN yet, which concerns me since it's already been over 7 weeks since I ordered my car. The dealer claims it will still get here in the middle of May. There is a car with my exact configuration (minus wheel locks and trunk tray) on Mazda's online inventory, but I called Mazda up to find out more about it, and it looks like that car was ordered a few weeks before I ordered my car. It's coming in on May 12 though, so I'm going to get back in touch with the dealer to find out if I can get that car instead. It shouldn't be hard to add wheel locks and the trunk tray later.

Mike
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    not sure about your LeSabre point. The dealers here are practically paying people to take them off lots. No one under the age of 70 drives one. Regardless of your point, the LeSabre is a bad way to make an example. If I showed up at anyone's house I know in a LeSabre, they'd think I popped a brain bolt.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    True enough :)

But the fact still remains ppl do not put driving feel, road holding, cornering and fun to drive before V6 w/AT when choosing a car...

Dinu
  • stretchsjestretchsje Posts: 700
    in case u do not know, Corolla would have been selling just as good without the redesign. This has something to do with reputation and brand image, in case u missed that class.

What are you talking about? Corolla sales nearly doubled from last year with the redesign. I'm surprised the '6 didn't follow this trend also, but don't really care much that it didn't. With Ford adapting the platform, parts will always be available, so I might as well have a unique car on the road. Shame on your marketing, Mazda. That Camry commercial invokes a much sportier image.
  • Lnelson1Lnelson1 Posts: 4
    Two weeks ago I ordered a 6i with Sport Pkg. The car is beautiful when viewed in the car lot. I had not seen any 6s on the street yet until yesterday. Now I am in a panic. I saw a 6 yesterday going down the street and it was UGLY! It did not have the sport package and I hope that makes a big difference, but the 6 without the sport package did not have attractive lines while moving and in the presence other cars. Don't get me wrong, I am a Mazda enthusiast, but I can not get over what I saw. Has anyone else experienced that the car looks great on the car lot, but NOT out on the street???
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I saw 5 Mz6 on the road. IMO, they looked EVEN better on the freeway than on the parking lot.
    waaay better.
    look at it this way.
    Corolla -> untarnished brand image, weld the hood shut forever image.

The one and only good competion to the corolla, in terms of sale was the Honda Civic. We all know what happened to the Civic, dont we?

So I, for one, am not all for attributing the corolla sales to simply the redesign. Sure it played a role, but a redesign does not always help but a botched competitors redesign helps.
  • stretchsjestretchsje Posts: 700
    No.

With the wheel covers, yes, but the shape of the car without the cladding/spoiler is still sexy.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Posts: 431
    Actually I'm looking for a 6s without the Sport Package. It's a personal thing. The S/P is a little too "Here I Am" for my liking. Also, even though it won't matter to most, I prefer the slightly quiter ride of the 16's versus the 17's. I have talked to quite a few people who really like the clean looks without the S/P. But again, it's a personal choice.

I will probably try for a Lapis Blue 6s in two weeks. My first choice is Glacier Silver, but none are to be had in my area. There is also an Onyx Black, but I'm a little nervous with black in Upstate, NY. They also have two of the very dark grey cars that have been on the lot for a LONG time. It's not my color of choice, but if I can deal I may try for one.

What are peoples opinion on the Dark Grey metallic?
  • gatorm6gatorm6 Posts: 5
    Personally, I think certain colors look better with the sport package and some without. I like the red, blue, and black without the sport package, and the white, silver, and steel grey with.

In fact, I have just purchased a white Mazda 6 w/ sport package.
    No way.
    I saw one on the road. Looked like it was 2 years old.
    That color just does not make a new car look NEW.
  • bluem6ibluem6i Posts: 77
    I don't like it either, it looks nice on the website, but too bland in person, especially next to all the other colors.

I will admit that I wasn't that excited about the Lapis Blue on the lot but, it looks great in the driveway and walking up to it in parking lots. It is my wife's car, so she picked out the color. She has been getting several compliments a day on it. Many are asking her what kind of car it is. Has also had several young drivers drooling over it.