Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Yep and invoice pricing is available elsewhere, not sure if I am allowed to mention the site here because it is not edmunds...but it is a four letter word (excluding the .com part) and starts with a "c" :) .
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,226
    Join us for our weekly Mazda Club chat and meet & greet some of your fellow forums fanatics! ;)

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

• I have driven both the Mazda 6, 4 and 6 cylinder cars. I am having trouble deciding which would make me happier. I feel as though both have pluses and minuses. I like the gas mileage of the 4 versus 6. I just thought the 4 was kind of noisy. I am also worried about the get-up and go of the 6 cylinder. I heard w/ a 4 cylinder if you have people in you car it can not have as much get up and go. I am pretty much looking at the sedan or sports sean in the mazda 6. Please let me know your thoughts if you prefer a 4 or a 6 cylinder and if youare happy w/your purchase. Please give me all of hte advice you can. I am ready to get something now, there are so many rebates and incentives, I just cant decide on an engine size.thanks!!!!!
  • In terms of "get-up and go", I'll rank them from worst to best:
    4. 4-cyl with automatic
    2. TIE: 4-cyl with manual
    V6 with automatic
    1. V6 with manual

The V6 has great pull, especially with the manual (what I bought), but the 4-cyl has decent performance with the manual as well, IMO on par with the V6 and automatic. I'd avoid the 4-cyl automatic, too much of a dog for me.

I'm VERY happy with my V6 manual. I've got plenty of power for passing on two-lanes or highways, and still get 26 MPG for my commute (85% highway).
  • I bought a 6 cylinder automatic Grand Sport 4 months ago and have not regretted my decision! I test drove both manual and automatic, the manual had more power but I needed the automatic for others in the family to be able to drive. If you switch the automatic to drive like a manual, there is almost as much power as the 6 cylinder manual. It's fun to drive the car both ways and I'm still passing people on the road.

I wouldn't be too concerned about gas mileage, I drive 40% highway and 60% city and am averaging 24-27 mpg, and I don't drive like an old person either! This car was built to drive and that's how I drive it.

Good luck with your decision!
  • thanks for your messages. That goes help me out. I also would only get an automatic because I can't drive a manual car. So,I wouldnt get much power I assume w/a 4 cylinder automatic. I was just worried about the gas mielage w/the V6 car. When I read consumer reports it really put down the V6 for some reason. It said that the V6 was thirsty. I am leaning more towards the V6 automatic now. Do you think its also less noisy if you have driven both? Thanks again!
    I would drive the 4 cyl automatic yourself. While you are driving floor it and see how the noise is and see if it is powerful enough to meet your needs/wants.

With these same two engines in Fusion/Milan, CR got 0-60 time of 8 sec with V6 and 9.5 with the 4 cyl. What are you used to in your current vehicle? For me I am used to and satified with cars with very similar acceleration times, so the 4 cyl seems like it will be fine to me.

I test drove both and can't say that I felt there was a big difference...did have 3 people in the car with the V6 and only myself with the 4 cyl, though.

I also had a 2005 4 cyl for about a week as a loaner and it seemed fine to me as far as power and acceleration and that was with only the old 4 speed trans.
  • As far as noise was concerned, the V6 was quieter and smoother to me, but the 4-cyl is no GM Quad-4 (in other words, not very loud and raucious) either, just a little loud at higher revs.

Personally, I think you'd be happier with the V6 with an automatic, but I'd test-drive both of them again, both to check out the noise levels at speed, and the acceleration, both from a standstill and at highway onramp speeds, to see which one is right for you.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :)
  • Greetings everyone. Long time reader, first time poster.

Last night my wife and I went back to our local Mazda dealership to make an offer on a 2006 Mazda6 4 cylinder. Here are the sticker stats:

base price: 19,110
    convenience package:
    - perimeter alarm
    - 17" alloy wheels w/ 215/50R17 tires
    - 8 way power driver's seat 1,000
    auto trans: 900
    side curatin air bags: 500
    rear spoiler: 325
    autodim mirror w/ compass: 175
    sport grill: 100
    wheel locks: 40
    cargo net: 40
    delivery charge: 560
    ----------
    MSRP: 22,750

We had the TMV numbers from here, so we set our ceiling price before we walked in their door. Sitting down with the salesman and his sales manager, they told me they'd take $1200 off the sticker. After looking at their number sheet, which showed:

$1200 sales tax
    $250 license, title, assorted fees

and the $2500 deduction "Mazda-to-customer" rebate on 2006 models, their final number was $20,500. Considering that this car is last year's model, meaning it already has depreciated, and that the moment I drive it off the lot its value will drop a few grand, I told him that he could do better. According to Edmunds, the invoice price on this vehicle is $20,750, so if you deduct the $2500 Mazda cash, add on the sales tax and fees brings it to $19,641.

The sales manager gave me the song and dance of "We're losing money at this price", to which I responded, "Then why are you willing to take a loss to sell it to me at all?" I told him I had researched the car on Edmunds, KBB.com, cars.com, and other web sites. He replied, "You can't trust what you read on the Internet". I just said "Your price is higher than I'm willing to pay. I want to see me out the door below $20,000." He said, "I can't do that, I'm already losing money as it is."

Pausing, I responded, "Your price is $800 ABOVE your invoice cost, not to mention the profit you're getting in your fees, your dealer holdback from Mazda, and any factory to dealer incentives I don't know about. So I'm pretty confident that your netting around $1000 on this sale. I'm willing to come up to $19,999 but that's my ceiling." He said "No way", so we walked.

Did I screw myself here? It's cheaper than a Camry or Accord, since all dealers in my area are packing on the useless extras - and Gulf States Toyota, this state's distributor, never ships a car to a dealer without at least $1500 of THEIR selected options to begin with. And at least this dealership didn't pack on a bunch of useless options on its own sticker. (Though it's debatable that the wheel locks, cargo net, and rear spoiler aren't truly useless.)

Your thoughts?
  • lweisslweiss Posts: 342
    Which model was this for? The i Sport or Grand i Sport or which model? I am asking because I am in the same situation. Although I will probably wait for the 07 models because the colors that they have around here are either that red or blue color- I prefer silver or tan.
  • No. You did the right thing.

Geez, I wouldn't have been satisfied with $20K, and wouldn't budge over $19.5 AT ALL. It's an '06, which they're trying to clear out anyway, and there's NO WAY they're "losing money" on a car that's $800 above invoice, no matter how long it sat on their lot.

I'd find a different dealer.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    So I'm pretty confident that your netting around $1000 on this sale. I'm willing to come up to $19,999 but that's my ceiling." He said "No way", so we walked.

No dealer is letting somebody walk on a 2006 Mazda6 with a $1000 profit. so something is wrong with your numbers. Did you include the regional ad fee that mazda charges its dealers? Did you try another dealer?
    Dealer in my state has 2006 models at about $5500 off of MSRP, but look to only have the V6 left. Cheapest one is listed on the internet with MSRP $24,520 and sale price $18,998.

In the 2007 model, the second highest priced 4 cyl they have listed with MSRP of $21,310, sale price of $19,598...not sure how comrable this is to the 2006 you are looking at.
  • No dealer is letting somebody walk on a 2006 Mazda6 with a $1000 profit. so something is wrong with your numbers. Did you include the regional ad fee that mazda charges its dealers? Did you try another dealer?

I got my figures from Edmunds here, and they were collaborated by KBB.com and cars.com, so if they're wrong, then all 3 sites have bad data. The difference between the dealer invoice price and the MSRP is almost $2000 as listed here on Edmunds. This same dealer's newspaper ad has a 2006 Sport model with "$5500 off list price!" so it's pretty safe to say a difference between invoice and MSRP of $2K sounds about right.

We'll be visitng another dealer tonight. She saw an ad from another dealer that was listing a 2007 base 6i sedan for $18,900.
  • Which model was this for? The i Sport or Grand i Sport or which model?

The base 6i model, plain 4 door sedan. I guess that's the i Sport. They said that they had only 3 left on the lot, which is interesting since 2 days earlier they had 8. I walked the lot on Sunday afternoon and wrote down VINs for only the 4 door sedans with 4 cylinder engines. I find it a little hard to believe that they sold 5 of them in under 48 hours.

The 3 remaining are: Pebble Ash, White, and Glacier Silver, with the GC being the most expensive and the one my wife preferred, so that's the one listed in my original post.
  • Last week I posted the sticker on a 2006 Mazda6 4 cylinder that my wife and I looked at. Saturday we went to another local dealer, who had one on the lot that didn't show up on their inventory screen on the Internet. This one had:

base price: 19,110
    convenience package:
    - perimeter alarm
    - 17" alloy wheels w/ 215/50R17 tires
    - 8 way power driver's seat 1,000
    auto trans: 900
    side curtain air bags: 500
    wheel locks: 40
    cargo net: 40
    delivery charge: 560
    ----------
    MSRP: 22,150

This was $600 less than the previous dealer and, amazingly enough, this dealer didn't have a dealer addedoptions sticker on the car either.

The color wasn't a preferred one, but it was acceptable to the wife. Again, using the TMV numbers Edmunds, we haggled back and forth until the sales manager and I reached an agreement. The OTD price was $19,800, which included 2 extra keys and fobs, and for them to install the factory in-dash cassette player.

I think I did OK.
  • am looking for a used 2005 mazda 6 i 4cylinder automatic.A local dealer here in Florida, had one on the internet. It has 25,000, has ABS, (i have seen some do not), all the regular standard stuff, wheel covers no wheels and no spoiler...We went back and forth all afternoon, and i wanted total price with whatever fees, taxes and tag transfer as i have no trade, and i have my own financing all done. He gave me a out the door with everything for $16,668.23. Does that seem to go with the market, anyone thin i can do a bit better? I also ran a carfax, it was clean, it was owned and seemed to be leased,as commercial, not the regular rental car as others have come back...i have an appointment tomorrow (Tuesday), at 4:15 pm.....Any feedback will be appreciated
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    Price seems ok but the ought five does NOT have
    telescoping steering wheel which may not be a
    deal breaker for you...but is for me. Good Luck
  • ...but the ought five does NOT have
    telescoping steering wheel which may not be a
    deal breaker for you...but is for me.

Since when?

IIRC, EVERY Mazda 6 sold in the US since it's introduction in '03 has had a tilt and telescoping steering wheel. My '04 has one, a '06 I recently rented had one, and it's still standard equipment on the website. I highly doubt they dropped the feature for one year.

As for the deal, if that price included EVERYTHING, it's not too bad. If you like it, take it.
  • lweisslweiss Posts: 342
    I am also interested in the Mazda6 4 cylinder automatic- not the hatchback. The question- are the 2007 models very different from the 2006 models? Car and Driver (October edition) says no change. I know that the Mazda6 is due for a major restyle for 2008 but I need something in the next 60 days. So far the closeout 2006's around here are going for still about $20K and the colors are a little odd for my taste- that bright blue and that red. Plus I may only save $2-$3K on a closeout at this point.

Comments?
  • The question- are the 2007 models very different from the 2006 models?

No. Basically just detail, option package, and color adjustments for '07. Nothing that makes it stand out from a '06 model.
    As indicated above, no substantive changes. There are pricing changes as well as packaging changes. Depending on what you want on the car 2006 or 2007 may be preferable. Seems to be pretty slim pickings now for 2006 4 cylinders, though.

Just as one example, there is a new "sport value edition" which is only about $500 above the 2007 base model. In the 4 cyl sedan, I think this has everything that this year's "sport" package does, except fog lights and wing. Since I prefer to be wingless, don't really care about fogs, do not want any additional options, but like the dark tail lights, I prefer the 2007 packaging.
  • So far the closeout 2006's around here are going for still about $20K and the colors are a little odd for my taste- that bright blue and that red. Plus I may only save $2-$3K on a closeout at this point.

Better hurry, then. Most dealers only have a few 2006 cars sitting on their lots, and the $2500 Mazda-to-customer rebate ends October 2nd. I didn't get my preferred color, since they sold it a few days previously, but I got a price that satisfied me.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Your correct about the option packages but they also added a new model that looks like a big winner. Its a very popular package with the Milan/fusion and we couldn't compete with it for 2006...Also, the new 2007 value edition also is a better deal than the base MZ6 with the conv. pkg for 2006.

I think the best value for 2007 is the new Mazda6i touring. you get auto, heated leather, bose/moonroof pkg for a 23K msrp.
  • I am still having a hard time deciding on the two. I am just worried mainly about engine noise and get up and do with the 4 vs 6. Plus the 4 would save me a lot on gas. What do you guys think for an automatic 2006 mazda? Also, what do you think about engine noise with the two if you have test drove both? What is your gas mileage like with the 6 if you have it? thanks, I know I want this car. I just need to make a decision fast on engine!!!!!!!!! thanks!the 06's are leaving the lot fast.
  • We got the Mazda 6 tonight...Was very pleasantly surprised, after re-discussing price and mildly negotiating, i was able to leave with an 05 Mazda 6 4 cylinder automatic for $16,150.00 It included a bit more for tags, (included inthe $16,150) so i should be receiving a bit of a refund. We got there at 5:45 pm, and we were on our way home at 7:45 pm...Dealing with the internet is the only way to go. Car has 23,200 miles and was VERY clean.......As of right now am very happy!!!!!! The 4 cylinder is peppy enough, and the engine is less noisy then i expected...I would have gotton the 6 cylinder, but my 18 year old son will be driving it mostly and the 6 cylinder grestly increases his insurance...Just my opinions!!

:surprise: :surprise:
    Have been looking to replace our DoubleOught 626(only tilt)
    and have test drove several 6s since inception.I'm a long
    waisted guy who prefers to have feet flat on floor UNDER
    the steering wheel whilst in cruise mode. ONLY the '06 6
    was accomidating. The Fusion/Milan also have Tele but not
    the same right foot space. The 6 has more than ample space
    in this area...too bad Ford...just lost a potential buyer.
  • First of all, I know exactly what the difference is between tilt (up/down) and telescope (away from you/toward you) is. Secondly, I don't think you've even sat in a pre-'06 model, since the steering wheel has tilted and telescoped SINCE DAY ONE. Proof? When my wife drives my car, she moves the wheel up and TOWARD HERSELF to better fit her arms. When I get in afterward, I have to tilt the wheel down and PUSH IT AWAY from me, to better suit my longer arms.

I'm a long waisted guy who prefers to have feet flat on floor UNDER the steering wheel whilst in cruise mode. ONLY the '06 6 was accomidating.

Then it may be the seat itself, which was revised for '06, because the steering column has been the same since day one as well.
  • I am also not sure about the ford engine in the 6. Is it really a ford/mazda engine and the 4 is only a mazda engine? just wondering.
    After scoping out features of '03+'04 6's @ edmunds...
    they list tilt/tele?!? I test drove one from each year
    and the lever for adjustment was meager like the 626...
    so I just assumed it didn't tele.Then I played in an
    '06 with a much more sturdy lever,when depressed the wheel
    came up! I've got to pay better attention next time!!!