Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Electric Vehicle Tax Credits: What You Need To Know

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2017 in Editorial
imageElectric Vehicle Tax Credits: What You Need To Know

Confused as to which plug-in cars still qualify for tax credits? Edmunds.com has prepared the following electric car tax credit guide.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 96jagman96jagman Member Posts: 1
    Can the $7,500 Federal tax credit offset tax on investment income? We are retired and have no "earned" income from working at a job.
  • jtheiresjtheires Member Posts: 1
    What is the expiration of the PHEV tax credit? The IRS publication on this topic suggests that after 200,000 eligible cars are sold, the tax credit goes away. However, how is the tax payer to know if/when the tax credit is still available to them? Is there a date when the tax credit (up to $7500) expires?
  • makiiiimakiiii Member Posts: 3
    So a lease is the best option for those of us under the 7500 credit level. Good to know. Thanks for sharing this info. it was much more complete than the hacks at the fool.
    capital gains income should be covered here but the IRS or your CPA will confirm it. You could use turbo tax and just run through the questions and get the answer yourself. As for the 200,000 the mfg/dealer and the state know those numbers and they don't carry over to another year. it should be simplet at the time of purchase to get that answer.
    I mean to say the credit does not carry over. of coruse the 200,000 is a cumulative figure possibly over years.
  • greenmachine6greenmachine6 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2013 leftover Volt with 378 demo miles on it from a Chevy dealer in Tucson, AZ. I bought this in January of 2014. I assume that I need to wait until next year (2015) to claim the tax credit of $7,500?

Another question I have. We will be renting a home likely for the next couple of years. Do you know if there is a way to buy or install transportable solar panels that I can possibly charge up the Volt with and then take with me if I move?

Thank you. Great car by the way!! I rarely have used gas.
  • greenmachine6greenmachine6 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2013 leftover Volt with 378 demo miles on it from a Chevy dealer in Tucson, AZ. I bought this in January of 2014. I assume that I need to wait until next year (2015) to claim the tax credit of $7,500?

Another question I have. We will be renting a home likely for the next couple of years. Do you know if there is a way to buy or install transportable solar panels that I can possibly charge up the Volt with and then take with me if I move?

Thank you. Great car by the way!! I rarely have used gas.
  • bbrentsbbrents Member Posts: 1
    A website called www.plugincentives.com is a good resource for free up to date customized incentive in California.
  • greener_daysgreener_days Member Posts: 1
    The article reads:"The federal incentive is usually referred to as a flat $7,500 credit, but it's only worth $7,500 to someone whose tax bill at the end of the year is $7,500 or more. Let's say you buy a Nissan Leaf or other eligible vehicle and you owe $5,000 in income tax for a particular year. That's all the tax credit will be. Uncle Sam's not writing a refund check for the other $2,500."

As I've read elsewhere what one "owes" as in US/federal tax "Amount you owe" line 78 of 1040 (balance due) is irrelevant, as long as total federal/US taxes for the year of purchase is greater than electric/plug-in tax credit amount, the filer/buyer will get the full tax credit, which would include a refund of any overpaid/withheld taxes. The article example is easily misunderstood and should be clarified please - Thanks.
  • willhandleywillhandley Member Posts: 1
    As usual with Edmunds, your information is out-of-date, incomplete, and, as greener_days showed, inaccurate as well. A 2016 Ford Focus? As I write this, it is the end of March 2017. This information is way, way out-of-date, and it's the same way when I try to price a new car. Late into the model year, you are still offering to price last year's cars, none of which is even available any more. Coming to your site is a complete waste for time.
  • timjmooretimjmoore Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone explain why two plug in hybrids (Volt and Sonata) have such a disparity ($7,500 and $4,919)? The plug-in Volt uses gas, but gets the same tax credit as ALL Electric vehicles....seems odd.
    Also, here in CALIF, my electrical utility (PG&E) gave me a $500 rebate on my personal Sonata PHEV.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    timjmoore said:

Can anyone explain why two plug in hybrids (Volt and Sonata) have such a disparity ($7,500 and $4,919)? The plug-in Volt uses gas, but gets the same tax credit as ALL Electric vehicles....seems odd.
    Also, here in CALIF, my electrical utility (PG&E) gave me a $500 rebate on my personal Sonata PHEV.

Are those credits you refer to for lease or purchase?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• timjmooretimjmoore Member Posts: 2
    Purchase. As the article says, leasing a vehicle does not give the tax benefits to the person who leases, but the owner who leases it to the buyer.
  • nonpulsednonpulsed Member Posts: 22
    The Volt has an 18.4kwh battery vs a 9.8kwh battery for the Sonata. As stated in the article, rebates amount is based on battery size.
  • wilburrwilburr Member Posts: 1
    If a qualifying EV is purchased in 2017 and meets all of the requirements, is the tax credit locked in? Or could Mr. Trump's IRS refuse to honor it come April 15, 2018? That is, how contingent is the credit on political vicissitudes?
    wilburr said:

If a qualifying EV is purchased in 2017 and meets all of the requirements, is the tax credit locked in? Or could Mr. Trump's IRS refuse to honor it come April 15, 2018? That is, how contingent is the credit on political vicissitudes?

From a general standpoint, very few changes are made to taxes that are retroactive. They almost always start at the beginning of the new tax year. Those that are retroactive tend to favor less tax, not more.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• balderolbalderol Member Posts: 1
    Is there any income limitation on the tax credit--i.e., taxpayers over a certain income cannot claim the credit?
  • shawn97shawn97 Member Posts: 1
    Can Electric Vehicle Tax Credits Be Passed On?
    This question occasionally pops up: Who gets to claim the tax credit in the case of low-mileage cars that dealerships sell after having used them as demonstrators or loaner cars?

The answer is pretty simple: EV tax credits cannot be passed on. Only the original registered owner of an eligible vehicle can claim the federal tax credit. Even if the original registered owner didn't apply for the credit for some reason, it cannot be passed along to a subsequent buyer.

This is useful to know because it can be a bargaining point in a used-car purchase negotiation. It might turn out that a new model with the tax credit is a better deal than a used one if the federal tax credit program means the list price for the new model is reduced by up to $7,500.

My question-- We are purchasing a 2018 Volt that has been used at the dealership as a demo vehicle. There has not been any other owner of the vehicle but the dealership. No other person has used or will use the credit. The dealership is telling us we can take the $7,500 tax credit because it is not used it is new. but the way this article reads I am unsure. Can i take the credit for this car that has been used as a demo car but sold as new... Thank you
    @shawn97 If you are the first titled owner. you should be in the clear

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• william_10william_10 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds to me like the tax credit is low in priority. The right vehicle at the right price, is far more important in the long run.
  • jvsrealestatejvsrealestate Member Posts: 1
    My company purchases hybrid vehicles brand new from a dealer, modifies them for handicap access and then sells them to a specialty dealer. Based on what I read above, is my company who gets the tax credit? title will be in our name for a short period before going to the specialty dealer. thanks
  • garysciasciagarysciascia Member Posts: 1
    the rav 4 prime will be eligible for the full 7500 . you get 2500 for the first 4kw hr, and an additional 417 for each kw hr above the initial 4kw hr. the prime has a 16kw hr battery. 12 X 417 = 5002,,,,5002 + 2500 gets your 7500. All on the IRS website. the 7500 goes against your full tax liability for the year, which can be said to be what you owe. so if you paid 9000 from your weekly paycheck towards your tax liability for the year, you will get the full 7500 credit and get a refund of 7500 of the 9000 you already paid. so in my opinion the prime costs 7500 less than the sticker dictates in my case as I unfortunately pay more than 7500 to federal. I also get a 1100 rebate at the point of purchase from New York State as the electric only range is 39 miles. If it was 40 or more miles I would have gotten 1750 credit at point of purchase from NYS. Good deal in any case. If you haven't paid 7500 in federal tax for the year you probably cant afford a 40000 dollar car anyway unless you are one of the lucky 1% ers who live off their capital gain with a tax rate of 15%.
  • docfinkdocfink Member Posts: 1
    Is there any federal tax credit for EVs costing more than $55k (from manufacturers who can still provide that tax benefit, unlike Tesla)?
  • ErsinErsin Member Posts: 1
    If the new green act bill is passed in 2021 and let's say if it also start covering Tesla EVs; will I still be qualified for tax credit even if I purchased my vehicle still in 2021 but before the bill is passed & went into effect? Or purchase transaction has to be done, after the bill is passed in order to qualify for tax credit?
    Ersin said:

If the new green act bill is passed in 2021 and let's say if it also start covering Tesla EVs; will I still be qualified for tax credit even if I purchased my vehicle still in 2021 but before the bill is passed & went into effect? Or purchase transaction has to be done, after the bill is passed in order to qualify for tax credit?

It would depend on the legislation, and whether they made it retroactive to January 1st.

If I had to guess, they won't do that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• DBeard0DBeard0 Member Posts: 1
    Please update your post with relation to the updated bill passed. Great material! I look forward to seeing more.
  • GreggVAGreggVA Member Posts: 1
    Can you use the credit more than once? If I bought an EV this year and got the credit, would I be eligible for another credit the following year?
  • tdenningtontdennington Member Posts: 1
    Are you still eligible for the credit if you sell the ev in the same year you purchased it? For example, I buy a qualifying car in May 2021, and sell in November 2021, can I still claim the tax credit on my 2021 taxes?
  • PostalpilotPostalpilot Member Posts: 1
    Do you have to take posession of the vehicle this year to get the tax credit this year, or is reserving a vehicle enough? I'm wanting an F150 lightning, but they wont ship til 2022. I'm owing alot of taxes for 2021, so I thought I would take advantage of the program.

Do you have to take posession of the vehicle this year to get the tax credit this year, or is reserving a vehicle enough? I'm wanting an F150 lightning, but they wont ship til 2022. I'm owing alot of taxes for 2021, so I thought I would take advantage of the program.

Not an expert, but I see no way you could take the tax credit without finalizing a purchase within the calendar year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• grngirlgrngirl Member Posts: 1
    If I get $ back on my taxes each year would i need to change my witholding in order to owe taxes so that i could take advantage of the tax credit?
    grngirl said:

If I get $ back on my taxes each year would i need to change my witholding in order to owe taxes so that i could take advantage of the tax credit?

Withholding or refund amount will have no effect on the ability to receive the credit.

It is a credit against your total Federal tax liability. If your total tax (not the withholding) equals $7500 or more, you'll receive the full credit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• michael5175michael5175 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, grngirl, you would need to change your withholding so at the end of the year you would owe the government, hopefully, the full amount of the tax incentive (probably $7500).

Yes, grngirl, you would need to change your withholding so at the end of the year you would owe the government, hopefully, the full amount of the tax incentive (probably $7500).

This is incorrect. If your total tax is $7500 or more, then you can take the tax credit. It makes no difference if you were due a refund, or if you owed. The only thing that matters is your total Federal tax liability.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MRYFLYGUYMRYFLYGUY Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if you can use more than one EV Tax credit per tax year? Say I buy 2 EVs, does this result in a $15,000 tax credit for the year?

• HVAHVA Member Posts: 1

Please refresh this article with newer information at the end of each half of year! Thank you.

• LizcatLizcat Member Posts: 1

I am interested in a Rav4 Prime. A salesman at a dealership here in Maine, told me the tax credit was gone. I have read that it is still available. Is it, should I go to another dealer?

Thanks,
    Liz

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    Lizcat said:

I am interested in a Rav4 Prime. A salesman at a dealership here in Maine, told me the tax credit was gone. I have read that it is still available. Is it, should I go to another dealer?

Thanks,

Liz

This site says it is eligible, when you purchase

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Jay8484Jay8484 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2022
    I purchase a mini cooper EV from a different state. Am I still eligible for the Federal Tax Credit?
    Jay8484 said:

I purchase a mini cooper EV from a different state. Am I still eligible for the Federal Tax Credit?

Not a tax expert, but where you buy it should have no effect on the Federal tax credit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Rein205Rein205 Member Posts: 1
    If I buy a mini cooper EV in 2022 use the tax credit in my 2022 tax return and move to Europe with the EV a year later in 2023, do I get in trouble with the Federal Tax Credit?
  • SminthianSminthian Member Posts: 1
    Every comment about getting the incentive is incorrect on here. Look at lines 37 and 38 of your 1040 that you filed this year. That is your tax liability, that's what the incentive uses. If your incentive is $7500 and your line 37 says $7500 or more, you get $7500 back. If your line 37 says $200...then you get $200 back and just threw away $7300...
  • TheMaverickTheMaverick Member Posts: 1
    Can you delay using the federal tax credit, say you buy an EV in 2022 but you defer and use the federal tax credit in 2023?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057

Can you delay using the federal tax credit, say you buy an EV in 2022 but you defer and use the federal tax credit in 2023?

Not a tax professional, but I’d say if you buy in 2022, then you must use the tax credit for the 2022 filing year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ethaniseethanise Member Posts: 2
    The $750 rebate via the CA Clean Fuel Reward program expires on 9/1, which is in 3 days from today.
  • ethaniseethanise Member Posts: 2
    There is, however, a better CA program, the Clean Vehicle Rebate, which offers $1000-$4500 back, and that is not expiring.
  • SolarDaveSolarDave Member Posts: 1
    Why no mention of the Chevy Bolt?? It doesn't appear in any of these charts, yet it is a major seller in the EV market...
  • GaryClarkGaryClark Member Posts: 2

All but the cheapest Model 3’s are in the same 2023 cost elimination as Lucid. The Mustang Mach-E has a similar fate as the Model 3 with a second just under the wire with no dealer add ons of any kind (razor thin margin).

• GaryClarkGaryClark Member Posts: 2

Was he planning on charging more than $55K?

@Lizcat said:

Thanks,
    Liz

• sahikha56sahikha56 Member Posts: 1
    you could use turbo tax and just run through the questions and get the answer yourself. As for the 200,000 the mfg/dealer and the state know those numbers and they don't carry over to another year. it should be simplet at the time of purchase to get that answer.