Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How To Close a Used Car Sale

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2017 in Editorial
imageHow To Close a Used Car Sale

A guide for private-party car buyers and sellers about getting payment and filing required paperwork.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    glam1glam1 Member Posts: 8
    Still wondering if I should sell my car to a private party. This article should help me if I do. Thanks.
  • Options
    warhawk1warhawk1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a car for 450.00 and bill of sale was signed by myself and seller and 2 witnesses and I was given the title signed by the selller and the local law says its not a legal sale.Is this a legal sale?
  • Options
    philip17philip17 Member Posts: 25
    In order for the state to recognize the sale as being legal you need to complete the paperwork required. Usually, this is a notice of transfer form. In some cases, the title will have this form attached to it. You will need to apply for a new title in your name. You can download the necessary forms at the Web site your state's motor vehicle registry. Philip Reed, Senior Consumer Advice Editor, Edmunds.com

Philip Reed, Edmunds.com Senior Consumer Advice Editor

• Options
    karthikmanikarthikmani Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    Other than Bill of Sale are there other forms of written receipts considered legal ?
  • Options
    maceratemacerate Member Posts: 1
    I bought a car and the seller backed out the day we were going to pick the car up, does behave to honor the sale?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    macerate said:

I bought a car and the seller backed out the day we were going to pick the car up, does behave to honor the sale?

Until cash changes hands, and the paperwork is signed, the sale hasn’t happened. No one HAS to honor a sale.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator