Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wow! no posts in 3 days. Guess not too many are buying camrys these days. Wonder how October is going to be for the dealers compared to Sept. Probably much worse.

dmcd
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    A recession tends to do that to people.
  • In order to make an accurate comparison of the Hybrid to a non-Hybrid Camry, you have to compare the Camry XLE to a comparably equipped Camry Hybrid, since both have a combined set of standard and optional features unique to the XLE and Hybrid models, therefore you can only get an accurate comparison by comparing identically equipped versions of these models, since it is impossible to get the same set of features on a base, LE, or SE model. See http://www.toyota.com/camry/features.html to compare the base, LE, SE, XLE, and Hybrid 2.4L models side-by-side.

Specifically, only the XLE and Hybrid have the following standard features:
    * Acoustic noise-reducing front windshield
    * Chrome tipped exhaust
    * Smart Key System with Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry
    * Remote Keyless entry system
    * Metallic-style interior trim with chrome door handle accents
    * Multi-adjustable power driver's seat with adjustable seatback and lumbar support
    * Defroster-linked CFC-free dual zone auto climate control with electric compressor and Plasmacluster™ ionizer and rear-seat vents
    * Trunk-mounted cargo net
    * HomeLink® universal transceiver

In addition, only the XLE and Hybrid have the following optional features:
    * Heated front seats
    * Leather-trimmed seats and door trim with integrated armrests, driver and front passenger power seats and dual front and rear map pockets
    * Voice-activated DVD navigation system with JBL® AM/FM 4-disc in-dash CD changer with satellite radio capability, MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® wireless technology, eight speakers in six locations and FM diversity Reception

Additionally, the XLE also includes the following standard features which are optional on Hybrid:
    * Alloy wheels
    * Heated mirrors
    * Power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade
    * Leather wrapped steering wheel
    * JBL® AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with satellite radio capability, MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® wireless technology, eight speakers in six locations and FM diversity reception
    * Auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass
    * Rear personal reading lights
    * Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors

Likewise, the Hybrid contains the following standard feature which is optional on the XLE:
    * Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control (TRAC)

Since both models have a different subset of the same combined standard and optional features, to compare a Hybrid with Option Package D to an XLE with option package B to get an identical set of features. When you compare identically equipped Camry XLE and Camry Hybrid models, the difference in price is only $1355 as detailed here:

$26,150 - Hybrid base
    $3,119 - Option Package D: Heated front seats/outside mirrors, dual illuminated vanity lights, personal reading lights (CQ), Carpet Trunk/Mat Set (CF), Leather trimmed seats (LA), Alloy wheels, 6-disc cd changer, Bluetooth, leather wrapped steering wheel, auto-dimming mirror, Homelink Universal Transceiver
    $720 - Delivery
    $29,989 - Total

$25,575 - XLE base
    $2,140 - Option Package B: Heated front seats (HD), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control (TRAC) (VS), Leather trimmed seats (LA)
    $199 - Carpet/trunk mat set
    $720 - Delivery
    $28,634 - Total

So, by comparing the Hybrid to a comparably equipped XLE, there is only a a difference of $1355 You could argue that you can still get a base Camry for $20,915, which is $5000 less than the base Hybrid, but at this point you are comparing two different cars with two sets of standard features, which is not an accurate comparison.

By comparing the Consumer Reports overall mileage ratings on the standard 2.4L Camry engine with the Hybrid engine, you will use 441 gal vs 625 gal a year if you travel 15,000 miles, which is a savings of 184 gallons, which translates to $736 at $4 a gallon. So, you'll recoup your investment in your second year, and every year thereafter you save $712 or more if gas goes up. Put another way, this $1355 will increase your monthly payment by $21 a month @ 4.75% for 72 months (current rate at PenFed.org, which anyone can get with good credit), but you will be saving $33 a month in gas over that same period, thus it is a net savings.

To your other point that the Hybrid is not discounted, by emailing dealers for quotes directly or via cars.com or edmunds.com, you can easily save up to $3000. I just purchased a fully loaded Camry Hybrid for $29,003, a savings of over $3000 (got email quote from Jack Safro Toyota in Brookfield, WI and received vehicle within 10 weeks of down payment).
  • The thing that makes me laugh is that people spend $29,000 on a HYBRID. If you really want to "SAVE MONEY ON GAS" you should buy a $13,000 YARIS or equivilent. I get that some people will say "yeah but that isn't the same vehcile" or whatever. My idea of saving money on GAS is to not save money on GAS. Rather I will lower my car payment. If I buy a $13,000 Yaris or equivilent vs a $26-30,000 overpriced HYBRID I can actually save money. It would take 8-10 years to make any ground on "GAS SAVINGS" when your car loan is has more than doubled.
  • mikkumikku Posts: 9
    Hi,

I would like to thank this forum, as I was preparing to buy my TCH for last 3 months.
    Sent email to all bay area dealers and got best quote from Gilroy. Sunnyvale was next best with Costco pricing. All others wanted MSRP or above.

I paid 29,828 + fees (that came to 800 over invoice + Dest + TDA)
    I had wanted TCH with FE CQ LA SR UT and I got that + CF with my choice of colors...

Buying experience was the best I ever had. In and out of the dealership in less than one hour. No pushing for extra stuff during finance. Smooth as silk...

HTH.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    The thing that makes me laugh is that people spend $29,000 on a HYBRID

Well, I'l glad we're giving you a good laugh.

You could actually buy a 1991 Corola for say $500 and save a whole lot of money and have a very small payment. Ten percent down and for 5 years your monthly payment would only be $8.50. You could buy all kinds of gas with your savings.

But seriously, not everyone buys a hybrid to strictly save money. I doubt that anyone that is driving a TCH would seriously be happy driving a Yaris. Yaris has a target market and it's not people with $30,000 to spend on a vehicle. The camry size appeals to a lot of people and having a car this size that also gets 38 mpg makes it worth a premium to some, myself included.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    First of all, a 91 corrolla has half the room of a Camry, second, it isnt a hybrid, and a car that old doesnt even come close to todays CARB standards, nor safety ratings.

Second, a hybrid, unlike all other cars sold, keeps its value, I can easily sell it now with 13K on it for what I paid for it. So with the argument of why not buy a used hybrid, they cost the same as new, thats why.

Finally, for those of us with 3 kids, and car pool, finding a decent used car that will fit two adults, two car seats and a teenager, and still get decent mileage, is not as easy as one thinks. The TCH is a tight squeeze and it is one of the largest of cars thats reliable. We could have used a Crown Vic, plenty of room, but not at 18 MPG, and the price of a decent used one that isnt loaded with miles is ~14K, and used car loans are ~12% for cars around 5 YO. Depreciation on one is also staggering. For me, my daily drive is ~100 miles, we easily put on 500 miles a week. I have already worn out 2 cars in the past 3 years, because I bought them with high miles to "save" money, but repairs on them cost more than the cars were worth.

So for a few of us, the why not buy used instead of hybrid, doesn't work! I dont know about you, but I tried it, didn't work. BTW last night I added up all the gas I used in the TCH, and divided the total miles by the gallons, and the car is averaging 40.12 MPG. Not too shabby for a large family sedan.

But seriously, not everyone buys a hybrid to strictly save money. I doubt that anyone that is driving a TCH would seriously be happy driving a Yaris. Yaris has a target market and it's not people with $30,000 to spend on a vehicle. The camry size appeals to a lot of people and having a car this size that also gets 38 mpg makes it worth a premium to some, myself included.

Bingo, I didn't buy it to save gas, I have a Hyundai Veracruz that is the perfect vehicle for the family trips, but is too big for a daily driver, and I just didn't feel like putting a ton of miles on it, I want it to last way past the pay off date. I also found that filling it twice a week was annoying because I usually find it needs gas halfway between my house and my work and usually on the way home, where gas stations are few. I traded a Prius in on it, and frankly I missed driving the prius, although I didnt miss the Prius, it was too small and handled like a little go cart. I found an exceptional deal on the TCH, and snapped it up and glad I did, I would not be able to find one today for what I paid for it, and have been enjoying it ever since. I found that if I drive the Camry like a goof(like most people drive), IE gas wasting mode, I get 33 MPG, but if I drive it casually, light acceleration, coast to stops, I get 38+. Much better than EPA. I Like the Camry, and I could not say that for any used car out there.
  • Any non-Hybrid full-size family sedan with leather, sunroof, and Nav, would still cost $29,000 or more, so I'm not sure why someone who is in the market for a full-size family sedan would consider a Yaris. If you are only looking for the absolute lowest total cost of ownership, then the obvious choice will always be a Tata Nano, for $2500. However, in reality, people only look at a specific class of vehicle that fits their needs (e.g. a 7-passenger crossover, or a full-size four door family Sedan) and typically narrow down their purchase decision to a specific make and model of vehicle, with a specific set of features (in my case Leather, Nav, Sunroof). So once you have narrowed down your choices of comparably equipped vehicles within the same class, you may be comparing a Hybrid and non-Hybrid version, and my point is that the commonly held belief as stated in the OP I replied to, that a Hybrid of a specific model has a more expensive total cost of ownership than the non-Hybrid version of the same model is wrong and based on commonly held misconceptions about price differences, which are about 4 years out of date. Toyota Hybrids specifically have come down in price as they have reached maturity, and on comparably equipped models, the increase in price for just the Hybrid engine is just over $1000, whereas many people commonly quote $5,000-$10,000 as the price difference, which is about 4 year old information. I've priced out the Lexus RX 350 vs RX 400h, Toyota Highlander vs Highlander Hybrid, and the Camry XLE vs Camry Hybrid and the difference in price is minimal across the board for comparably equipped models, and after factoring in gas savings, they are actually cheaper in some cases. Therefore, the choice to buy the Hybrid should be an obvious one if you are already going to buy the similarly equipped non-Hybrid model, since the Hybrid does save you money, not to mention other benefits, plus you have a hedge against increased gas prices over the life of the vehicle. For my specific situation, I am not concerned about the cost of the vehicle, which is the same or less than any other vehicle my household has owned, and much cheaper than the vehicle I am replacing, therefore a lower payment. Rather, I am trying to reduce the monthly costs of operating the vehicle as we previously budgeted $500 a month for gas for just personal use in addition to driving the vehicle for business. So, for me a 40% reduction in gas prices (which is a common reduction for almost all Hybrid vs non-Hybrids of the same model - even the Tahoe), saves over $200 a month.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Nice summaries......using logic and facts in the decision making process that fit your operating environment !!!

Good job.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    Gas prices are coming down and already at $3 a gallon in Ohio. It was hard to justify hybrid price with over a $4 a gallon and now hybrid makes less and less sense. I'll wait till plug in technology becomes mainstream.
  • I agree with lucky_777 here. I'll wait for plugins or at least more advanced battery technologies and proven reliability. For now, I have a 2000 Toyota LC for weekends, and for commuting to work, I drive a '94 Saturn SL1 4 banger that gets me at least 27MPG. For long family trips, we have the wife's camry which gets 28-30MPG on the highway. Good enough for me. I'm sure I'll still have my LC in 10 years and drive it around amongst all the electric cars with jaws dropping. :) lol.

dmcd
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 73,023
    There are plenty of Hybrid forums and comparison discussions..

This forum is to discuss your pricing and buying experience. Any posts that are off-topic will be deleted.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I just bought a Toyota Camry LE. with accessory pro pack which includes mudguards, cargo tote, and emergency assitance kit, spoiler, and alarm system for 21000 (not including tax, fees, etc.). I got 0% financing. I feel like I got ripped off. Is that a good deal? At 1st I thought it was a good deal. The dealer was pretty nice and since we were there around lunch he even got my family some food because we were there so long and wanted to take a break to go eat. Somebody tell me if this a good deal or not so I will learn to say "NO" even if they are nice.

THanks
    Learn to say NO, and do some homework before purchase.

The base LE car, with fees but not including tax and license, could be had for the low to mid 19K' range

here's an LE

The alarm might be a couple hundred bucks, and I don't know about spoiler costs but I would guess maybe 3-400. Mudgards would be about 50-75. In total all of the extra stuff might be in the range of 500-750.

So everything except for state/county tax and DMV tags would be at 20K. My assessment would be that you made an excess non-deductible contribution to the local economy by about a grand.

At this point, not a whole lot you can do about it, but enjoy your new ride. It's a great car (have an 07), and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it over the next years.
  • Hi, I am in the market for a 2009 XLE, V6. The best offer I have had so far is 27,330. (+ taxes, tags and registration) Includes - Vehicle Stability Control, Nav, Smart Key System, Driver and Passesnger heated seats. Could someone comment on the price?
    You can comparison shop online, by going to www.fitzmall.com. Check out different models, with different features. You can usually get a really good idea of what you should be looking for in your local area.

It's in a fairly competitive geographic location, so they have very good no haggle prices. Those who live in CA can sometimes do slightly better, since CA is THE most competitive area.
  • I am looking at 2009 camry LE. My current best quote: $20,287.00 minus rebate $500 = $19,787.00 plus tax and title.

Anyone can comment on this ?

I am in Ohio, btw.

Thanks.
    19.2 to 19.4 at fitzmall, so you did very good.
  • kapkanimdkapkanimd Posts: 126
    Hi, I have gotten a quote for $19770 - $1000 rebate = $18770 +++ for an 09 LE w/ toyoguard as the only option. I was wondering if I should ask for less or would it be pushing it. I am in Tampa, FL by the way. OTD price is around $20,700 including tax and all fees
    Many dealerships in Fla have like a 600 dealer fee, right? If so, that's taking your 18770 up to 19370