Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 SRT Viper GTS Track Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Dodge

image2013 SRT Viper GTS Track Test

After a disappointing 2011 and 2012, the Viper is back. It's got more power, less weight and, somehow, wider and more aggressive tires.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    Numbers that are very strong, but won't scare a 911 Turbo any.

But it did tie or beat the ZR1 (4.0/101/72.8/1.02) in all tests. But a new ZR1 should be with us in about 18-24 months
  • Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Pretty disappointing that 'traction control' doesn't control traction. And you get less than stellar acceleration times as a result.

That ain't going to help with the marketing and neither is the heavy understeer.
  • Options
    aspman26aspman26 Member Posts: 0
    Bring back insideline!
  • Options
    ferrari4meferrari4me Member Posts: 0
    No she isn’t a refined German supercar. And I bet you that no SRT Viper is ever going to complete finishing school in Italian.

But the new SRT Viper looks great, has a new civilized, livable interior and takes off faster than a monkey with its butt on fire.

Most importantly I bet if I were to get a new SRT Viper out on a track and give it some stick I would have so much fun that I would be in danger of experiencing seizures as a side effect to the intense laughter!

Finally while not a blue-blood exotic I am happy to take pride in it’s North American engineering and manufacturing. It also doesn’t hurt that it costs many tens of thousands of dollars less than those blue blood exotics too!

SRT, Chrysler and Fiat I bet you have a hit on your hands in the new SRT Viper. Let’s see, if I sell my children, get a second mortgage on my home, and rob a small bank on payday . . .
  • Options
    The interior is pretty damn sweet. And no slushbox! For men only.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Quck car. I cannot believe I am the only person to comment. Where is everyone else?
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    OK, so in the new format you cannot see comments until you are logged in and have made a comment? Talk about user hostile. This had better be changing 12/17.
  • Options
    smilezsmilez Member Posts: 4
    Did Autoblog buy Edmunds? Because that's where you seem to be driving everybody.
  • Options
    saunupe1911saunupe1911 Member Posts: 9
    I hate coming here. Please don't delete the old site. Just upgrade the messaging system and keep it moving.

Well back to the road test...Man that snake is fast!
  • Options
    saunupe1911saunupe1911 Member Posts: 9
    I don't believe this car is meant for the 911Turbo or GT-R. It was meant for the ZR1, R8 GT and a few other so called exotics. Soooo SRT, when is the 911 Turbo and GT-R fighting ACR coming! lol
  • Options
    jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    I would expect it to be faster, Motorweek got better #'s from a Mustang GT500. Also, hate the new layout.
  • Options
    mej2mej2 Member Posts: 4
    Although this new Viper is probably better in every respect to the older one, I still think its design is kind of blah. The car looks virtually identical to the out going model except for the newer headlights (which I don't like).
    Just my two cents.
  • Options
    jpadayaojpadayao Member Posts: 3
    0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 3.4 (3.7 w/ TC on)
    Price: $122,390 (base GTS price)
    Unproven reliability with sub-par performance with a base price of $122K, Dodge what are you thinking?
  • Options
    ru_90ru_90 Member Posts: 1
    jpadayao

0-60 times do not make a performance car. In fact, they're irrelevant to how well a sports car performs. There are some great sports cars that have 0-60 times above 4.0.

The Viper has always been traction challenged. The GEN V Viper in this video is struggling to gain traction upon launch. Even with launch and traction control.

However, how can you call its performance sub-par? Is it because its 0-60 on this particular test. I've already seen lower numbers published by another site.

Plus, the other test results (i.e. slalom, Figure 8, Lateral G, braking) rivaled any other car they have tested. Unfortunately, you chose to focus on 0-60 only.
  • Options
    testing

testing

Man, in stinks in here compared to Insideline. Can't even do freaking automatic paragraph break.
  • Options
    Sorry, just testing out this 1990's website.

This is my first line of text. I wish to insert a paragraph break here.
    This is my second line of text.

This is my first line of text. I wish to insert a single line break here.This is my second line of text.
  • Options
    thekingpinthekingpin Member Posts: 2
    Man this UI sucks- are those frames on there. Is this 1998?
  • Options
    This site has gone Ghetto!
  • Options
    isaaclisaacl Member Posts: 7
    bring back insideline
  • Options
    zr1manzr1man Member Posts: 19
    Just saw a new Motor Trend article where the ZR1 blew the doors off a new dodge viper.
  • Options
    m3hunterm3hunter Member Posts: 2
    How does it compares with the late great '10 Viper ACR?. Poor choice of tires, I bet Michelin Pilot Cup tires, where a better choice for this super car. I wonder if it's going to be able to compete with the new Corvette. Because in another article this new Viper falled short to the present Corvette ZR1.
  • Options
    m3hunterm3hunter Member Posts: 2
    Where is this new Viper lap time from the Nurburgring track?