Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

The 25 Greatest V6-Powered Cars Ever

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

Comments

• Options
    durishindurishin Member Posts: 2
    I think I might switch out the 2011 Mustang V6 for the '87 Buick GNX Turbo. That car was as far ahead of its time (for America) as the Citroen SM was for the world.
  • Options
    gregnvgregnv Member Posts: 9
    The article could have been The 25 Greatest 6 Cylinder Powered Cars Ever, as there are only a few flat 6 cars that would have made the list anyway, like the Porsches.
  • Options
    deckan315deckan315 Member Posts: 1
    The NSX is still the only car i would like to acquire besides my S2000. These cars can take an [non-permissible content removed] whoopin as daily drivers, but were designed for top gear performance..
  • Options
    ilian51378ilian51378 Member Posts: 2
    Some really nice cars mentioned in this article! I would add some that were omitted for one reason or another, but according to me, deserve to be on this list.

1. Nissan Skyline - even though it was not sold in the U.S., it has built a cult following and a legendary status in the street racing scene.

2. Toyota Supra - this car came in a naturally aspirated form that was respectably fast itself, but it is the turbo version rear wheel drive, offering 320 horses, that that made this an unforgettable one. Many of those push around 1500 horses on the dyno, when modified.

3. Mitsubishi 3000GT/GTO (Dodge Stealth) - how about this utterly underrated beast that became the U.S. 1991 Import Car Of The Year in its all wheel drive twin turbocharged 24-valve V6 that produced 300 horses (later models had 320) and about 308 pounds of torque? From a stand still, this monster could leave in the dust 99.9% of anything on the road! And don't even start me with the amazing body design that, in my opinion, remains one of the best ever!

Many automotive critics gave this car bad reviews, because it was heavy, but they all missed the point, being that this was a grand touring machine built to showcase Mitsubishi's technological prowess and not to race Ferraris on the track... With its endless features, it was named "the Swiss Army knife of sports cars!" And when I say endless features, I mean more than most cars offer even today. These included front and rear active aero system, AWD, AWS, ECS (electronically controllable suspension), ABS, active exhaust system (changing the tone of the exhaust with a push of a button), etc., just to name a few. Of course, I am not going to mention stuff like AC, Infinity sound system and electrical everything, because these are to be understood as default... And all that came standard for about US $32,000!

When you couple that with a Mitsubishi claimed 0-60mph in 5.2 seconds (the actual number was more like 4.8) and a track proven 165mph top speed, things are starting to make more sense. In truth, if Mitsubishi wanted to build this car as a pure race car, they could have done so rather easily by offering less gismos to save weight. But then all that technology would be left in the dark and the purpose of the car would have been lost.

Contrary to general belief, this car has created a strong following and some enthusiasts have built very impressive examples that make upwards of 1,000 hp and rip the 1/4 mile drag strip pavement in less than nine seconds. I am lucky to own one in RHD and an automatic transmission with installed paddle shifters to get the max out of those turbochargers...
  • Options
    ilian51378ilian51378 Member Posts: 2
    Never mind the Nissan Skyline and Toyota Supra, they were inline six... My mistake on that one!