Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Vans: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Check the adjustment on the tv cable that is attached to the throttle body. Haynes or chiltons manual will show you how to adjust. This cable tells the trans when to up or down shift depending on the position of the throttle.
  • stevelhstevelh Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a '97 Astro that had a noisy fuel pump. The pump gave out a few weeks after I got it.
    We pulled the tank and replaced the pump with a new one. It worked fine and only made a little noise.
    The noise has gotten louder over the week since it's replacement. I fear that some thing is causing the pump damage and shorting it's life.
    Anybody have any advice or knolage on this?
    The noise changes pitch when I flip the heater fan switch from HI (witch doesn't work) to Med Hi (witch works half the time).
    Is it possible that a short in the electrical system could be causing problems with the pump?
    Thanks
    Steve
  • rdisantirdisanti Member Posts: 1
    can any one tell me were the relay is for the fuel pump on a 1993 astro van
    and if the fuel pump was bad would it crank and not turn over
  • twocentplstwocentpls Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 olds silhouette that is having a similar issue. When the brakes are applied during idle and in reverse, the harzard light turns on but not blinking.
    any solution in solving this problem? pls email your responds.

Thanks.
  • alf2001alf2001 Member Posts: 1
    I also own one of those :lemon: Ventures. There is always something wrong. We regret buying this van. We bought the van used with 33000 miles in Jan of 2002. Problems started happening a month or two after taking it home. The problems-the 2 front wheel bearings, tie rod, rear wiper blades don't work, the front driver's side wiper arm, temperture sensor, throttle position sensor, the driver's side window acts funny, pass. side is starting to act up too, no AC, drivers side sliding door doesn't lock and creaks when you open it, pass. side power sliding door works half of the time, panels on two of the doors coming loose, pass side mirror does not stay in place when you shut the door, the drivers side seat does not recline anymore, condensation in the driver's side head lamp, etc...... The most recent...battery light came on and now the van won't start. My husband is currently in another state with it at a service center. It is the altenator for $600. The thing is, we still owe way to much to even trade or sell it. Some of the minor problems we are living with. It seems like every problem is worth $400+. We just don't have the money to fix all of the problems. We had another vehicle a Saturn that had 368000 miles on it. The only major repair was the clutch. It was a good car. What will be the next problem? I don't want to know.
  • crackcheckercrackchecker Member Posts: 32
    Just had my fuel pump go out. It's going to cost me $680 to replace it and the filter. Anyone else had this go out out of the blue? :confuse:
  • johnaecjohnaec Member Posts: 11
    I'm in the market for a small, RWD van, and it looks like Astro/Safai is it.

I saw one message that says get a '97 or newer - is this correct? I've also seen numerous issues owners have dealt with, but this is something I'll just have to deal with.

Anyway, since there seems to be no alternative to the Astro/Safari, what are the things I should be looking out for? I'm in CA, so I don't need/want AWD, and rust shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for any insights.

John
  • jmcdonnelljmcdonnell Member Posts: 1
    I hope that you have solved your problem by now. If not, you have to begin by removing the carpet trim that is actually under the closed door by using an offset screwdriver... it's a lot of fun. When the trim is removed and you pull the carpeting back, you can look underneath and see the screws that hold the lower part of the panel on. After these are removed the panel should be loose enought to figure out the rest. When the panel is off, you can reach in and pop the door open. With the door open, it's a sixty second repair. The dealership actually wanted over 90 dollars for the part, but it's available on line for about 12.

I'm on line tonight because, six months after fixing the right hand door, the left one broke and I'm looking for the place I bought the last handle.

Good luck.

JMcD
    Watch for intake manifold leaking coolent either into the oil or puddle of red liquid under the van. Mine ran down the back of the motor and left a puddle between the motor and transmission. The transmissions 4L60E are prone to self destruct. First sign is a hard 1-2 shift, especially when cold, it is easy to tell it will jerk the van when shifting. I have not had any tire or brake problems. Have over 50,000 on the current set of brakes. Other normal GM problems like starter and alternator go out by 100,000 miles.
  • shadowhawk_70shadowhawk_70 Member Posts: 5
    Check the AC drain tube in teh engine compartment - passenger side - You;ll need to probably get under the car to reach it, and a flashlight to see...

I used a stiff wire to run up into the drain hose and clear it out.. It worked for a few weeks.. but it still puddles water under the drivers' side carpeting.. Makes the car stink. Our Venture has done this for 6 years... Frustrating...

G'Luck!
    Rex S.
  • johnaecjohnaec Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a '99, and also a 2003. I notice the 2003 has 6-bolt 16 inch wheels - was this an upgrade option, (heavier duty?). Is it worth looking out for?

Thanks - John
  • cj50cj50 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Venture experiences a slippage in warm weather when the air conditioner is on. The slippage sounds like driving over a rumble strip. The vehicle loses power momentarily. The problem is noticable at slow speeds (accelerating from a stop, in a parking lot). This problem occurred while still under warranty. The dealer did not have a solution. They told us to document when the problem occurs. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and found a correction?
  • tourismladytourismlady Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to let you know, you are not alone. We had our tranny replaced on extended warranty. Now, 30,000 miles later the second tranny is cooked on our 97 Venture. Yeesh. What gives? We also know 2 other people in our little corner of the world with the same problems. GM is aware of the transmission problem - they have to be, judging by the number of complaints on this website.

In addition to the tranny, the van overheats AND my drivers side window has problems going down. Looking over this website, there are other owners experiencing these problems as well.

We have contacted the dealer where we purchased the van and are giving them the opportunity to make things right. We shall see what happens. You mention a lawyer helping you out, ask him about the possibility of Class Action.

Automakers make me ill. They are making money, at least enough to pay their execs big figure incomes. If they really care, they should make things right and do a recall. If they don't, then it's time for a lawsuit. I will keep you updated on my plight. Good luck with yours!
    16 inch wheels became standard in 2003 replacing the 15 inch previous standard wheel size. The increase in diameter does not make them any stronger but ususally by increasing wheel diameter the ride is better. The 2003 would be a better choice, not only for the 16 inch wheels but also the transmission's were supposed to be upgraded to fix the problems plaging the 1996-2002 4L60E models. They upgraded the failing parts.
  • rob99rob99 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same corrosion problem on my 01 Safari at about 50k miles (80k kilometers). Would not start when cold and wet. New cap and rotor took care of the problem in near term. Now I have to replace the cap & rotor every 13-14 months. Just replaced the cap and rotor two weeks ago due to no start and then had a no start again yesterday. Plugs are original and GM says they are good for 100K miles (160k km). I only have 60k miles (102k km) so plugs should be ok. Dealer says that there may be a short on coil wire or in the coil. Dealer suggests spraying mist of water onto coil wire and coil and checking for short. Other repair shops say that they replace many caps and rotors on Safari and Astro due to corrosion and moisture collection. I made sure the vent screens in the base of the distributor were clear to allow venting but that was not the problem. I have a theory that even though plugs are not "worn out" the larger gap causes higher voltage requiement and leads to easier shorting. This van appears to have a weak electrical design if that is the case. Any other suggestions on what to check????
  • snowman89snowman89 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2001 Venture with 67000 miles on it and low and behold I was informed by my dealer at the last oil change that my intake gasket is leaking. I see I am not the only one with this problem. Does anyone have any advice on how to get GM to cough up at least part of the expense to replace this? I have perfect service records...and this really frustrates me. The service manager just laughed when I asked if GM would cover any of the $800 repair bill, despite the fact that this is a well known problem. Any ideas?
    Call the 800 number in the owners manual and talk to a GM rep about the issue and they will give you the information required to submit to get a review board to see if they will reimburse you for all of part of the expense. I did this last year on the transmission on my Astro. Even though the van is a 1997 and out of warrenty it only had 78,000 miles when the trans blew. They sent me a check for $500 based on the age of the van and the miles on it they felt only responsable for a 1/4 of the cost for a rebuild. It was better than a kick in the pants. I had to send a copy of the title, the original repair bill, the name, phoe number and address of the trans repair shop so GM could contact them, and also a short letter describing all the problems I had had with the van over the 18 months I had owned it. The process took about 3 weeks and a check arrived in the mail. Good luck, it helps if you had other major problems with you van and as always put a word in your letter about how you would hate to have to buy another manufacturers vehicle the next time you are shopping for a new car.

P.S. I also had to replace the leaking intake gaskets which I did myself and I had also replaced the starter and the alternator. This all happened before 80,000 miles.
  • stinkypetestinkypete Member Posts: 1
    My power locks stopped working and the cause was that one of the wires in that enormous cluster that goes into your door, was broken. All that opening and closing of the door pinched and fatigued a wire. Could this be a possibility for you?
  • venture2venture2 Member Posts: 2
    Do you that there was recall on chevy venture sliding doors? Yes, all dealers are aware of it and they will fix them with no charge to you. Call any chevy dealer today and tell them about it
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    yep, happened at about 70K. fortunately I had an extended warranty.
  • ruddrudd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Astro van that is very tempremental. If it rains it will just turn over and not start, but if I plug the block heater in for an hour it starts fine. It also sometimes just starts and stalls right away. I have replaced the cap and rotor and there is no sign of moisture getting into the distributor cap. This is driving me nuts does anyone have any ideas?
  • ftdevins67ftdevins67 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Astro Van, suddenly a few months back the entire dasboard(all guages, speedo, and turn signals) would intermittently quit working, and then come back on when they felt like it. I checked and wiggled wires and connectors under the hood as well as under the dash area, and all of a sudden the problem was gone. Well know its back, and the dashboard has been out to lunch for a few days. I believe it is a ground problem. Now does anyone out there know, what or where the ground wire is located for the instrument cluster, or dashboard on thei van??? Other than this it has been a great vehicle. Any electrical wizards out there, familiar with this van problem, or can tell me where I can figure out the ground side of the dash.
  • aprateraprater Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Chevy Astro with a 4.3l multiport. I am burning an excessive amount of fuel and there is a strong smell of fuel in the engine compartment, the cab and out the exhaust. My suspicion is that the injector O-rings are leaking which requires the replacement of the entire system. Anyone have any other ideas where I might diagnose before I go through the trouble and expense of replacing this part. The part is about $400 and i don't want to waste time and money if there is a simpler solution,
  • 99venture199venture1 Member Posts: 1
    HELP.
    I am having electrical problems with my '99 venture.
    Sometimes it won't start. Also, the fan/blower works
    on levels 3,4 and 5, but won't run at all on speeeds 1, and 2. I checked and there is a separte fuse for low fan speeds, but the fuse is fine. I also replaced the switch itself, a $25.00 part, but that didn't change anything either.
    I am looking for help on either condition???
    THANKS!
    99venture1
  • tknolltknoll Member Posts: 1
    When the sensor on the dash senses that it is getting dark out it puts on the exterior lights and the interior dash lights on. The dash lights, radio lights and the heater control lights go out. It is intermittant and annoying. The dash lights will not come back on until the vehicle is stopped and the ignition turned off and restarted. Have had the headlight dimmer switch replaced twice and have had it in the dealership to be checked, and surprise . . . . they have no idea what is causing the problem. Any suggestion . . . other than trading it in?
  • sunshinemittensunshinemitten Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Astro which I just recently had in the shop for a transmission rebuild. Now I'm fighting what appears to be an intake manifold gasket leak. I'm rough shifting in 1-2, losing coolant with no puddle and having a strong coolant smell. What number do you call at GM and how do you approach the problem to get them to defray the repair costs? My van is reasonably low mileage (under 90,000).
    There is an 800 number for customer service in the back of the owners manual.
  • nauutiqe80nauutiqe80 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I have a 2002 Chevy Venture and the rear brakes have been creaking when the van comes to a complete stop. This happens at stop lights, when we park etc. It sounds like they are dry or something. I have taken off the drums and everything seems fine. The vehicle stops well but I am certatin this should not be happening. It is definitely the brakes and not rear shocks or any other component. Any suggestions or solutions is very much appreciated.
  • crackcheckercrackchecker Member Posts: 32
    As for the fan. You need to first check the wire to see if it is getting anything on speed 1 and 2. Might be that the fan motor is just tired and needs the extra juice it gets on speed 3 and higher to run now.

Look for my post on fuel pump. I just replaced mine and now the starting problem is gone on mine.
  • baredrosabaredrosa Member Posts: 1
    :sick: I am disgusted with being conned into purchasing this vehicle brand new. 1 year after the AC no longer works, which we barely used. There is a crack (forgot name of where this crack is) where the freon goes or passes through. This problem diagnosed by a trusted mechanic, my brother in law who one of the good guys at firestone. Now the passenger side window will not come back up. Also, received recall notice in mail for air bags or something. It should only take 15 minutes to repair, as long as you make an appointment. The only thing is that I have to travel 2 hours to get to repair shop. I live in San Diego, CA, which is major city that should be able to accommodate the recall repair. Go figure! I wish that something could be done legally, like after so many confirmed complaints that it is mandatory for manufacturer to replace /trade in vehicle at no loss to buyer. I still owe so much and the first few years I added tons of miles so depreciated so much that I owe more than its worth! :(:cry:
  • andymanandyman Member Posts: 1
    Try replacing the battery to start with, and then the battery cables.
    My battery once caused my car to do all kinds of weird things because it was shorting out.
    Do the easy things first.
  • vortecvortec Member Posts: 1
    I had a 92 4.3 Astro that had the same problem along with a very rough running engine...to the point where it finally wouldn't start.
    You may need to replace the temperature sensor (located next to the thermostat housing in the intake manifold)
    The sensor is inexpensive and is easy to replace.
    The sensor is part of the fuel management system and tells the 'puter what the engine temp is and how much fuel to deliver.
    Hope this helps!
  • pcelatapcelata Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2001 Chevy Venture and I think I'm having the same signal problem. When I signal right with the headlights on and with the brakes applied, the signal on the dash blinks fast, all the right tail lights blink. Have you found the cure?
  • jpc2jpc2 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Venture suddenly stopped starting today after a short trip at my son's school.

The engine rotates well and started but stopped immediately. The battery seems fine with strong high beams plus the windshield wiper moving freely.

The fuel pump seems working. I disconnected the fuel line after the fuel filter. The fuel sprayed out the line when turned the key to the "On" position.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks a lot!
    JP
  • badge315badge315 Member Posts: 1
    There is a bolt at the base of the wiper arm; undo the bolt and pull the arm off. The wiper arm can then be repositioned (it has a ratchet-like assembly that corresponds to teeth on the wiper arm spindle). Retighten the bolt and your done.
  • chall2chall2 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter in law had the same problem. On the first trip to the dealership the pass key module was replaced and the problem declared solved. Exactly One month later the problem returned stranding her and her three children. The dealer can't duplicate the problem and has no idea what the problem may be. Good Luck
  • rebelchevy3rebelchevy3 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 2001 Venture. Was a leaking brake cylinder on one of the rear drums. Replaced cylinder and cleaned shoes. Totally fixed the noise.
  • whizerbangwhizerbang Member Posts: 4
    This sounds like a classic case of a bad ground. The poor ground can't handle the current for the lights and the turn signals both. Check and clean the grounds on both the parking/turn light/s and the tail lights. If it appears OK, run a new temporary ground using allegator clips on a wire and try it, if that fixes it, run a new permanent ground. Usually this is needed on only one light, but you may need to do several or all lights in an extreem case.
  • pifupifu Member Posts: 1
    My 97 Venture (109K mi) has a break problem: if I push the break pedal slowly (low traffic conditions), the breaks seams not working; the pedal slowly goes thru the end of the travel without slowing the vehicle. Although, this doesn’t happen all the time.
    In most of the time, when I drive the vehicle in town, the breaks are working OK. The problem seams to occur only when the breaks pedal is continuously press for several seconds (mid travel ~ 30 sec.).
    Two month ago, I changed the front rotors and pads and the problem went away. (Front pads needed a replacement anyway).
    Recently, the problems re-appeared. One on the rear cylinder was leaking so I replaced the rear breaks (cylinders, shoes, springs, drums). This time, the breaks are working as bad as before (good breaks at firm action, no breaks on slow pedal press). I run out of ideas, what can cause this problem. Anybody can help?
    Thanks.
  • isevillaisevilla Member Posts: 6
    I am having a similar problem except that I have no lights on the dash or heater area at all and they have been like that for a few days now and havent come back on since. I however have lights in the radio section. I have a 97 Venture.

You mentioned a sensor on the dash...where is this sensor? I also thought it could have been a blown fuse or something but couldnt even find a fuse for any of the areas.

Any suggestions anyone?
  • 99cbr60099cbr600 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem, along with many more with my 01 Venture. I checked the fuse for the instrument cluster and is good. The speedometer, fuel and temp gauge are also not working. Any ideas??
  • regina2regina2 Member Posts: 2
    eenaef, same problem on my ventura '98. 3 days ago i drive for 15-20 min. parked ,went pic up food, for 10 min. return to van and can not start. after 20 -30 try start and drive with no problem.
    next day cannot start, try many times and started. drive for 15 min. parked and try,try,try and no start.
    replaced fuse, relay but nothing diferent.
    motor turning ok
    no chek engin light or anything what i see
    can be fuel pump or no?
    if pump , :confuse: how it works somtime and no diference in drivig.
    thank you
  • vetnutvetnut Member Posts: 3
    A few nights ago I was traveling home and went over some
    railroad tracks. The thump seemed to cause the air bag light to come on and now it won't go out. I really don't
    think there's anything wrong with the air bag, but am told
    that maybe it's an air bag sensor. Does anyone know where
    these are located? My code reader shows no codes, nor does
    the check engine message come up. Thanks.
    I believe the reason why the blower only works on certain
    speeds is because the blower resistor is bad. This happened
    to my 2000 and changed it. It wasn't easy as it is tucked
    under the dash on the passenger side. There's a connector
    and some screws that have to be removed.
    This happend on my 2000 and it turned out to be leaking
    wheel cylinders. Are the backing plate and shoes wet?
    Hey thanks for the reply. I havent had time to check back to the site. I will check the drums and if I recall correctly I did notice some wetness not to long ago. I appreciate the assistance. Nautique80
    I appreciate the advise. I received a reply stating the same thing. I appreciate the assistance. Nautique80
  • isevillaisevilla Member Posts: 6
    Ok I found out what my problem was...its the switch that controls the headlights and instument panel dimmer. My switch was bad. I replaced the switch with one from the junk yard and it worked. I now have all the lights back on from the intrument panel, heater, etc.
  • zeveozeveo Member Posts: 1
    try changing the water pump
  • 123venture123venture Member Posts: 8
    I'm having problems with my fuel guage moving from empty to full. This normally happens when I'm down to a quarter tank of gas.

Also have no interior lights at all. If I open my doors or use the switch on the dash board there are no lights at all. (Dome light) all other are fine. JUST MY DOME LIGHTS DON'T WORK.

I also have hesitation when I acellerate and can't figure out what it is. Wires have been changed but not the plugs to hard to get at. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
This discussion has been closed.