Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,683
    Maybe a coyote. :shades:
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,079
    hmmm.. that's a good thought. Although it would be used mainly on some "light" downhill stuff and a dual suspended bike would be much better and make me safer on the trails and not a danger to others (trying to relate this however slightly to being an "inconsiderate biker :shades:)...

There is actually a lot that needs to be done. It needs a new rear hub as the current hub set is worn and doesn't pick up the chain like it should. The crankset is the same way and the headset knocks back and forth. So it actually needs a bit more than cables and a chain. The brakes are good, tires okay, rims a little bent and would need trueing and the spokes tightened. The front derailure is also in good shape. So it really does need a bit of work to be worthy for what I do with it. But for around town just a simple would tue-up would be sufficent....
  • Define 'podunk' :)

We did a Saturday 'over the river & thru the woods' trek to visit the MIL in Colville on Saturday - must have been a 'drive slow for Christmas' confab somewhere close by... lots of piddling along at 50 or less (SL 60), with just enough oncoming traffic & a lack of passing zones to make it a bit frustrating. Did get to engage the Vortec warp drive a time or two :shades:

It was like people were afraid to even approach the SL...

Cheers!
    Paul
  • fintailfintail Posts: 43,351
    Podunk = towns with no stop lights :shades:

But it's more metropolitan than Colville as it is only 2 hours from the 21st century, so you've got me there :P

What you describe sounds like my last venture over White Pass and the roads on each side between Yakima and I5. I must have passed 20 cars and still had an average speed of just 60mph. It was in October and the weather was dry...people were just dawdling.

The sunny weather here has baked people's little brains, I think. Yesterday I used my horn twice, both at people who virtually stopped when turning off of 35mph suburban arterials. Are people afraid their cars will flip over?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 13,622
    It needs a new rear hub as the current hub set is worn and doesn't pick up the chain like it should.

It could be that the chain is stretched to much. Measure a 12 complete links (a complete link is 1 inside and 1 outside link) on a new chain it will be 12 inches. If it is up to 1/16 of an inch longer you should be OK. if its between1/16 and 1/8 it needs replacing, if its more than 1/8 inch longer you should replace the chain and rear sprockets. If the chain is stretched up to the 1/8th inch point the chain would skip under stress and replacing the chain should solve it, but if its past the 1/8th inch mark you most likely have to much wear in the rear sprockets.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Yesterday/s winners - W203 C-class on a 40mph yellow signed off ramp....going maybe 20. By the end of the ramp it had maybe 6-8 cars behind it, and continued to crawl down the 40mph road at 20-25. I don't get it.

Not much later saw a coffee-cup clutching middle ager in an Outback going about 25 in a 35mph 4 lane arterial, who then proceeded to make a left turn across a double yellow line. Nice.

Finished it off by getting close to a PT Cruiser driven by one of the new resident drivers we are blessed with, who was driving on the wrong side of the road in a parking garage...not from a wide turn or anything innocent, just simply dawdling down the way on the left.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I have never NEVER driven in a place in the US or Canada where a significant portion of the driving public goes SLOWER than the posted limit in clear dry conditions. I've been in 38 states and 3 Canadian provinces, but in none of the northern tier of US states stretching from Minnesota and Wisconsin westward to Washington and Oregon. Something in the water?
    There must be something in the water... I'm a southwest native having been transplanted to the northwest. The local's here, at least on the outskirts of town never seem to go the actual SL. It's 55 on the highway, but most seem to hover around 50 and frequently around 45. That may be because all the side roads and such are 45 and so when they get to the main road they continue to go 45?? But even on those roads, they go 35-40 so what gives?? A lot of the side roads are curvy and follow creeks or the lay of the land (Oregon never figured out how to cut through the land and make a straight road) so sometimes 45 is the fastest you dare go, but there are a lot of places that will all AT LEAST that speed.

I think it's just the "nowhere to go" and "all day to get there" "so I don't have to go faster" mentality that seems to be so pervasive.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 13,622
    There is this one road near me, its wide open 4 lanes (two each way) not much traffic or lights with a SL of 50 MPH. I swear that half the time I am on it I can fly past 75% of the traffic doing 45 MPH.

Its not that people in the area drive slow, just that for some odd reason people drive slow on this section of road.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

9 out of 10 people will go a normal speed...but it seems 1 in 10 vehicles in this area is diven by a scaredy-cat slowpoke. Get a couple of those close to each other, and it just destroys any traffic flow.

Many people here are generally very timid too...get a few of them at a 4-way stop, and it becomes hilariously stupid.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    The speed limit is the fastest you will drive. What's the problem driving safer at a slower speed? Others who almost flunked Psych 101 will think you are passive agressive. ;)
    I will drive a speed I determine is decent...I've never had a speeding ticket nor caused any kind of crash, so I must be doing something right :shades:

If you want to go slow, just move over and let the rest of us go by. You've got nowhere to go and all day to get there, so it shouldn't be a problem ;)
    I have no problem when someone wants to go the SL. I would like to go a bit faster sure. I too have never caused an accident or been ticketed for the way I drive, and I have passed by many an officer (including photo radar) that could have ticketed me if they had chosen too, but none have and so how I drive must be okay. It's when you poke along at a speed that is below an already SL that is too slow to begin with. And then that person poking along has 4, 5, 6 or more cars piling up behind them and they take no notice or sometimes will go even slower. That is where I take issue.

If you go the SL and only the SL and refuse to go faster, I can't begrudge you that. I will however find an opportunity to get around you.
  • jensadjensad Posts: 388
    I understand what you are saying snakeweasel. IS 80 from the Bay Bridge to about Pinole, i.e. e/b toward Sacramento is like what you described.

There are open spaces and then there are scattered over this stretch of freeway, large, long sound walls that are supposed to suppress the freeway traffic sound. When I drive this area, and certain other areas, it seems that traffic slows down in the barrier areas and then speed up on the open space.

I think it has something to do with the psychology of freeway driving. When people see open space, they tend to speed up, while in barrier space, the psychology sets in to slow down and its all in the driver's head. So at least I can anticipate a probable slow down as I head into a barrier patch of roadway.

At least it is not as bad as that dirver on IS 5 n/b at Bakersfield last year when he had the death grip on the wheel and stayed a "steady" 35 mph in the right lane. He slowed the traffic down from Bakersfield for about 100 miles. I got around him, but his ineptitude driving made it more dangerous but it all worked out.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
    while in barrier space, the psychology sets in to slow down and its all in the driver's head.

Up here in the NW, tunnels and bridges do the same thing. Snowsheds are the worst though.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,608
    >Snowsheds are the worst though.

What is a snowshed?

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• eliaselias Posts: 2,147
    Quote from CHP officer who kindly conversed with me after noticing my excessively exuberant method of entering a highway:
    "The speed limit here is 55. But don't drive 55, or you'll get ran over."
    (He was telling me to drive about 65 or 70 instead. Same unofficial speed limits are in effect here in the northeast more than two decades later.)
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    What is a snowshed?

A snowshed is a structure kind of like a tunnel. One side can even be open. It abuts a hillside to protect the roadway from avalanches.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,608
    >protect the roadway from avalanches.

Interesting. Thanks for the response for an Indiana born Ohio resident who's not been west of the Mississippi by more than 20 miles.

I was always astounded by the runaway truck stoppers in the Tennessee and North Carolina areas when I started traveling by car after college.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT