Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 11,223
    That's amazing. Twilight Zone? :P

Yeah, I hate those errant sensor-triggerings. One lazy turn and it costs me a couple minutes of my life - that is definitely inconsiderate.
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • fintailfintail Posts: 43,317
    I probably should have bought a lottery ticket on the way home :shades:

The light in question probably shouldn't be turned on until 0600-0700, and should be a blinking red/yellow at night. The small town where my mother lives does it like that, from 11-7 the lights just blink. Here, the lights are on 24/7, which is lame as the place is very dead from 11-7, I go to work early and rarely see more than a couple of other cars on my commute.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,079
    I would love it if the politicians would come to their senses and realize that. I would love to have blinking lights after 11. Around here they would probably have to turn them on at 6, but still, that would be better than nothing.
  • I wonder if this lack of moronics is related to Oregon's passage of the "Hands-Free Only, No Texting" law? (Which while well intended is completely stupid imho - No cellphone usage should be allowed by DRIVERS at any time)

Is this question in the wrong thread?

Please discuss.
    Yep, we have a very active thread devoted to the yappers. Phoning will driving is more than inconsiderate, and is discussed here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f6321/3907
    I don't know if it is politicos or control-happy public sector lifer types who implement and maintain the lame traffic controls seen in so many places.

There's no excuse to be forced to sit at a long light with no cross traffic. It is extraordinarly wasteful of both time and fuel.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 13,614
    Which while well intended is completely stupid imho - No cellphone usage should be allowed by DRIVERS at any time

Then do you support a ban on drivers talking to someone in their car?

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    Visiting between two in the front seats caused the vehicle to overshoot their destination by 150 miles a month or two ago. They are still suspended.

I'd be for a ban on passengers talking to the driver. That would have driven my MIL nuts. ;)
    Today's winner...."new" driver in a 90s Altima at a major intersection with a long light, who refused to take a free right turn no matter the lack of cross traffic. Only created a quarter mile or so backup.
    Sitting at a backed up light waiting to make a right turn. 4 lane rd with a median and dedicated turn arrows. NO right turn lane. Not even a bike lane. This intersection is one of the busiest in town.

I am about 10 cars back waiting to make a right turn. Because there is no right turn lane, you must stay in the through lane until the intersection. So I am there and all of a sudden on my right comes an F-250 pulling a trailer and holding his shin nipper in his lap. Barely scraping by. I'll bet his tires were hitting the curb as he tried to pass all the cars in the right lane so he could make a right.

As he started to pass me the line started moving and as such he was right where I needed if I wanted to turn right. I hung out trying to figure out what he was doing and then deciding whether to punch it and get in front of him, but that wasn't possible because of the cars in front of me or hang back to get behind him and essentially let him "cut" in line. I tooted my horn at him to let him know he was a moron and I watched his little nipper jump up and start yapping. The only thing I decided I could do is slow down, holding up traffic behind me and get behind him so I could make my turn.... :sick:
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    If the F250 was driving in the parking side of the road. Somebody should have pulled over and just "parked" in front of him!

When the pooch is behind the wheel and the air bag goes off = Dead dog!

Bet the mutt was a Chiwawa & not from Hawaii. ;)
    It wasn't even a parking lane... There was BARELY enough room for his truck. One side had to be rubbing the curb and the other driver's side was about two tires (width wise) into the driving lane.

Edit: I found a bird's eye view of the intersection...

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • Which while well intended is completely stupid imho - No cellphone usage should be allowed by DRIVERS at any time

Then do you support a ban on drivers talking to someone in their car?

Outright ban on talking to the driver? No. (Big Brother?) But I do think drivers should speak up if someone is distracting them from the road. A passenger can see that a tricky intersection is coming up while someone on the other end of a cell phone cannot.

I do support the stopping, warning and possible ticketing of drivers who are clearly distracted from their primary task of driving the car, regardless of the cause of distraction.

I believe safe travel is the responsibility of everyone in a car, not just the driver. It is the navigator's job to keep the driver awake, is it not? If you're in the back seat and the two front seaters are being morons and not paying attention to the little kid in the crosswalk fast approaching the front of the car, whose job is it to get the driver to stop? Safety is everyone's job.

(Yes, I am one of the safety nazis in my company...) :)

I'm not thinking regulation here folks. I'm thinking responsibility. (This is a subject I could probably go on for hours about - Public schools not teaching it to kids, government spending without it... make that days not mere hours.)

/Soap box :D
    I'm not thinking regulation here folks. I'm thinking responsibility.

Well, that is a big part of the problem. Our "public servants" have been in the business of regulating responsibility (an oxymoron at its best!) for so long that many people feel they have no personal responsibility. So, if they are on their cell phones yapping away, not paying attention to the road around them, and get T-boned in a green-lighted intersection by another driver doing the same thing, they feel they are the victim and want to take the other driver to the cleaners even though they could likely have easily avoided the collision had they been remotely aware of the surroundings. The worst part is that had their light been red, the roles would have been reversed and yet they would still look for external excuses as to why it happened.

It is a downward spiral and, unfortunately, we are so far down it that there is little chance of recovery any time soon. :sick:
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    Today I had a Camry driven by someone who I will not describe as not to appear bigoted (too late for that) make a left turn from a side street, right in front of me, as I was approaching at ~30mph. She was on the phone. If I hadn't been driving the fintail, I might have just shrugged my shoulders and T-boned her hard. Why do people do this? Oh well, I got to use that wonderful loud old horn that makes people jump a block away.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,602
    > I got to use that wonderful loud old horn that makes people jump a block away.

That horn business is the only deficiency on the Cobalt I bought. It has a single horn. I started looking into adding one (or more) to give it a more authoritarian sound. So far haven't followed through.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 13,614
    I do support the stopping, warning and possible ticketing of drivers who are clearly distracted from their primary task of driving the car, regardless of the cause of distraction.

So do I, not that being said I will also say that a distracted driver is a distractive driver no matter what. As well as an attentive driver is an attentive driver no matter what.

I have seen people driving while on their cell hone operate their cars in a very alert and courteous manner. And I have seen people driving like they are oblivious to everything and there is no apparent cause for any distraction.

Sometimes people get distracted for no reason of their own doing (try being stung by a bee while driving and keep your attention on driving).

I tend to be against banning something simply because a small segment of the population cannot seem to handle the activity. I have been in, or witnessed, more accidents cause by the driver being distracted by things other than a cell phone than by drivers who were distracted by a cell phone. Oh wait I have never been in an accident caused by a driver being distracted by a cell phone.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

That's one area where old cars reign supreme - horns. I will admit I am an avid horn user.

Fast forward to around 5:15 on this to see what an old MB sounds like
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I will admit I am an avid horn user.

Hopefully not like a New York cabby!

I don't use my horn very much. Usually the transgression has already occurred, so there's no point except expressing anger or frustration. I only try to use it when I can alert someone before they pull out in front of me or otherwise try to infringe on my lawful space.
    I find the same to be true. I imagine my horn gets used maybe six times a year; maybe.