Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,825
    Think of it as job security.
  • fordgirl15fordgirl15 Posts: 90
    Explain yourself!:-) paramedic has job security or what??
    edited July 2015
    The NHTSA figures actually belie the realities. The anecdotal answers are in each states' real figures. So for example the 50 state yearly AVG are 98 deaths and 1,780 accidents. So have fun with the (grim) math and your career!
    Ya thanks! Unfortunately it will be a grim career. But I think it will definitely be worth it. And hopefully I won't see it very often!
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,875

The ultimate inconsiderate driver:

"A Florida man is in jail after shooting dead another man in front of his family during a road rage incident.

"Robert Doyle, 51, faces second-degree murder charges after shooting Condelario Gonzalez, 44, five times during an 'aggressive driving incident' in Beverly Hills, Citrus County Sheriff's deputies said.

"Doyle was in front of his home with his wife at about 10pm on Thursday when he fired shots at Gonzalez before holding Gonzalez's wife, eight-year-old daughter and seven-year-old grandson until deputies arrived, investigators said."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3175047/Florida-road-rage-driver-shoots-dead-man-holding-victim-s-wife-daughter-grandson-gunpoint.html

A little less attitude of "the road is my highway and my right to drive as fast as I want the way that I want" and a little more courtesy and following the speed limits will help.

How you turn a 2nd degree murder into a case about following the speed limit is beyond me!!!!

I realize you are trying to hold onto your false sense of world view where speed kills and people that have repeatedly proven that assertion 100% false must be wrong, but unless you have a story outside of your link, I saw no reference to speeding, speed limits, or anything speed related for that matter in the write-up.

I haven't watched the videos, but I did read what was written. Perhaps this was a case of someone going too slow below the speed limit, and maybe going faster would help avoid road rage.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
    Just driving here and just had to honk my horn at a idiotic lady who did lane change without a blinker and I was moving fairly fast after passing someone else. Stupid is all I can say...
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    Because a M/C can do more damage to my car than a bull Elk, I give them a lot of space & attention as IMO the riders don't even have a GED especially those wearing Hitler helmets.
    We should look at who is at-fault in motorcycle involved accidents. If more than 50.1% are caused by an at-fault driver not driving the motorcycle, then we ought to first ban those bad drivers from driving before we ban motorcycles. I think you'll find the problem is bad drivers, not motorcycles.
    Ya andres3 tht is a good idea! It seems like so often that another person other than the biker is at fault. For example, texting while driving. That's one where you should maybe wait to do. Except I really shouldn't say that cause I text and drive at the same time. Just hope I don't look up to find a biker on front of me.
    edited July 2015
    Despite a lot of static, the NHTSA figures indicate one of the most SAFE years on record.
    That's amazing. But nice to know!:-)
    edited July 2015
    andres3 said:

We should look at who is at-fault in motorcycle involved accidents. If more than 50.1% are caused by an at-fault driver not driving the motorcycle, then we ought to first ban those bad drivers from driving before we ban motorcycles. I think you'll find the problem is bad drivers, not motorcycles.

While a lot of folks would like to advance that narrative, articles I have read and more importantly, NHTSA data indicates 70% and higher %'s of both accidents and fatalities are due to (@ fault) motorcycle drivers, i.e.,REAR ENDING (hitting the) CARS AHEAD of them, DUI, loss of control, etc..

..."Motorcycles in fatal crashes in 2013 had the highest proportion of collisions with fixed objects (24.1 percent),"...

Do lots of folks think it true that telephone poles do jump out and bite motorcycles? ;) Where is a GoPro when you need one?

So, the so called class "epidemic" (88,000,4,900 accident/injury,fatality ( year 2012) is largely caused by MOTORCYCLE drivers.

Please do NOT read this to mean I am saying automobile drivers are fault LESS.

ruking1 said:

andres3 said:

While a lot of folks would like to advance that narrative, articles I have read and more importantly, NHTSA data indicates 70% and higher %'s of both accidents and fatalities are due to (@ fault) motorcycle drivers, i.e.,REAR ENDING (hitting the) CARS AHEAD of them, DUI, loss of control, etc..

..."Motorcycles in fatal crashes in 2013 had the highest proportion of collisions with fixed objects (24.1 percent),"...

Do lots of folks think it true that telephone poles do jump out and bite motorcycles? ;) Where is a GoPro when you need one?

So, the so called class "epidemic" (88,000,4,900 accident/injury,fatality ( year 2012) is largely caused by MOTORCYCLE drivers.

Please do NOT read this to mean I am saying automobile drivers are fault LESS.

That data seems to indicate that our motorcycling licensing standards are too lax. I think we really ought to look at raising the level of driver education and experience required to obtain a license. Raising the bar!
    Yes, despite the "SPEED KILLS" cults that do nothing more than repeat the false chant of "speed kills," if you take a graph of average speed limits and a graph of accident/fatality rates you will see that one goes up while one goes down. You could say they seem to be inversely related, contrary to popular opinion. So as speed limits have steadily but surely risen beyond draconian slow limits of the past, accidents and fatalities have steadily dropped.

Sure, there are other factors, but there is no indication (nor was there ever any indication) that raising speed limits creates a sea of blood and carnage on our highways.
    Agreed! Is it more the younger generation that have the most motorcycle accidents or is it a combination of the older and younger?? The guys that think they have to be cool??
    edited July 2015
    andres3 said:

Yes, despite the "SPEED KILLS" cults that do nothing more than repeat the false chant of "speed kills," if you take a graph of average speed limits and a graph of accident/fatality rates you will see that one goes up while one goes down. You could say they seem to be inversely related, contrary to popular opinion. So as speed limits have steadily but surely risen beyond draconian slow limits of the past, accidents and fatalities have steadily dropped.

Sure, there are other factors, but there is no indication (nor was there ever any indication) that raising speed limits creates a sea of blood and carnage on our highways.

Good call! Yes it is true that "SPEEDS"/speed limits have never been higher (and in my opinion can be higher still), with NHTSA data showing another of the SAFEST years, since they have been recording this stuff!

The powers that be, defacto, seemingly do not wish to change (FALSE) popular opinion.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,926

I really shouldn't say that cause I text and drive at the same time. Just hope I don't look up to find a biker on front of me.

Well, it's not too late to nip that habit in the bud! Seriously, stop doing that. There is nothing out there so important that it cannot wait until you're not driving....
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    Ya I really should stop doing that. It is so easy to forget and answer a text while driving. There's a sign in Rochester that shows a ambulance and the saying- you don't want them responding to your text.
    I'm sure it's tempting to hear that noise sound and then think, "I'll just take a quick glance at it." Then, "oh, well it will only take a moment to repond." .... Twenty seconds later.... "Whoa!! Where did THAT guy come from?!"

These phone manufacturers should have a "driving" mode that will hold all incoming texts until you're stopped, but also provides feedback to the sender that says "x is driving and is unable to respond at this time."
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    Ya exactly! It seems like that is when the accident happens is when you look down for a split second and then "Boom"! I always feel guilty when I drive by that sign!:-) it is probably good though that I do!
    "Why do some bikers have their handle bars way high?" My friend's reply. "It's natural for them as it is a position they often assume when faced by a LEO."
  • fushigifushigi Chicago suburbsPosts: 1,459
    xwesx - Driving mode: http://androidwidgetcenter.com/android-tips/how-to-enable-driving-mode-on-samsung-galaxy/

fordgirl15 - Place your phone out of reach. My wife leaves her phone in her purse & places that on the back seat. If anyone calls, the in-car Bluetooth lets her answer. Texts, Twitter & Facebook updates, etc. all wait until she's at her destination.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Ya that would be a good idea! Or else turn my phone off. I've decided that in the ambulance I'll turn it off so I'm not distracted by it and so then I can be with my partner instead of the phone. Easier said than done.....
    Thanks for the advice!:-)
    edited July 2015
    Curious. The thread will not post my comments.... ?

Ah, got it to work. I had to edit out the link from the block quote.
    fushigi said:

xwesx - Driving mode

Cool. See? These tech guys aren't complete numbskulls after all! :D
  • Steve EliasSteve Elias Posts: 2,185
    boo to fordgirl for texting while driving, but bravo to her for admitting it and trying to do something about it . shutting off phone is a great way to do it. try it, you'll like it. paying attention to driving is underrated nowadays - it may be fun to discover/rediscover it!

I understand that more accidents are caused by texting drivers than drunk drivers, by a huge factor. Unfortunately you will be picking up plenty of texting drivers in your ambulance, as well as their innocent victims. Locally the retired fire chief was killed at his mailbox by a texting kid. All handheld cellphone use is illegal in NH now. Sad for the fatality, but hooray for the no-handheld-cellphone-use law that resulted soon afterwards.

Handheld cellphone use by a driver needs to be illegal nationally especially due those many drivers who are soooooo addicted to texting while driving.
    I see it constantly, even here in NH where it's illegal: People still do it wherever they think they can get away with it, such as rolling/braking up to a red light. or when they are in a tall SUV, so they think nobody can see their eyes looking down at their phone.
    Amen. And yes I am afraid that will happen alot. Just heard that a guy I was in DE with just lost his sister yesterday. A 23 year old texting... That definitely opened my eyes to it......
  • fushigifushigi Chicago suburbsPosts: 1,459
    Most, if not all, states/municipalities have distracted driving laws already. As such we don't need laws to address handheld device use. What we need is enforcement of laws already on the books.

Related example: Remember back in the "old days" when the family would take a driving vacation & you'd play a game spotting oddball cars? My wife & I do a variant on it nowadays: spot the expired plates. Almost every time we're out driving together we spot one or more cars with expired plates, sometimes expired by over a year. Why has there been no enforcement on those folks?

With all these cities & states having budget issues you'd think they'd go after the easy money.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Renewing the tabs/plates every other year would diminish the expired plate rate by 50%.