Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    drive'rs that impede the passing/fast/left lane needlessly. Remember the vehicle in the far left lane traveling at the speed limit is not impeding anybody driving within the limits of the speed limit law. No one is obligated to "get out of my way" to any speeder for when you do, you aid and abet his transgression.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,875
    euphonium said:

drive'rs that impede the passing/fast/left lane needlessly. Remember the vehicle in the far left lane traveling at the speed limit is not impeding anybody driving within the limits of the speed limit law. No one is obligated to "get out of my way" to any speeder for when you do, you aid and abet his transgression.

You seem to have failed English in Elementary School. Let me Help You to Understand our language.

In other States signage may vary, but in CA the highways are littered with "Slower Traffic Keep Right" Black and White Signs. They are black and white for a reason, as that means it is law, and not advisory as Yellow and black signs would indicate.

If you look in your rear-view mirror and someone behind you is gaining on you and catching up to you, then by definition they are "Faster" and you are "Slower!" That means you must yield to the faster traffic by moving right, since you are slower, and they are faster. This is all that is required, and is not subject to interpretation or looking at one's speedometer, as all that matters is relative speed to one another.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
  • hammerheadhammerhead Posts: 907
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.100

Just move over. Nothing more should need to be said.
    You are correct when assuming the posted black & white speed limit is to be disregarded. However, the posted limit is the limit. When the limit is 55 - that's the limit and that's your limit. Nothing more should need to be said.
  • You know if you get stopped doing 10-15 over what they have posted what are you gonna tell the officer? Here in Iowa with Minnesota being a neighboring state we have alot of Minnesota drivers in Iowa. Iowa isn't the only state to complain- Illinois and Wisconsin also do. But the reason we three states complain about the Minnesota drivers is cause they are the ones who are in hurry. They are pushing up on your tail. And they are normally the ones tht are sitting beside the road with blue and red Christmas tree lights behind them. We have a joke I guess you could say that the reason Minnesota drivers drive so fast out of their state but just putter along in their state is cause the law enforcement is so strict there and they have to have some fun in a different state. And Minnesota does really clamp down on the laws there. Forgive me if any of you are from Minnesota but this is just what we as Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin drivers have observed!
  • By the way, the Minnesota drivers complain about us Iowa drivers too. So maybe we are even??!!:-)
    euphonium said:

You are correct when assuming the posted black & white speed limit is to be disregarded. However, the posted limit is the limit. When the limit is 55 - that's the limit and that's your limit. Nothing more should need to be said.

How can you be so sure your going the limit; when is the last time you had your speedometer calibrated?

The speed limit is indeed the speed limit, but slower traffic shall still keep right to faster traffic. Two wrongs don't make a right; remember that from elementary school myself.

There is more to be learned than elementary school, but we're happy you made it that far anyway. Good job.
  • andres3 said:

How can you be so sure your going the limit; when is the last time you had your speedometer calibrated?

GPS

• Sometimes the GPS isn't as accurate as we think!
    danfromm said:

andres3 said:

GPS

Would you bet your life on GPS accuracy for speed measurements?

For example, someone could calculate shooting a .50 cal bullet just in front of and just behind your car moving at a certain speed, but if your wrong they are shooting at head level; would you play?
  • Sometimes the GPS isn't as accurate as we think!

Why do you think that? I ask because my GPS/speedo relationships are very stable. If either were erratic -- possible -- the relationships wouldn't be stable. More than one GPS, one of which occasionally gave bizarre altitude estimates -- would you believe > 13,000 feet in West Virginia -- but gave speeds that were consistent with speedo.

Consistent means that at a speed -- pick any, and get it from the GPS -- the difference between GPS and speedo is quite stable. Very slow long-term drift (speedo gets faster relative to GPS) as the tires wear. Slow.
  • andres3 said:

Would you bet your life on GPS accuracy for speed measurements?

For example, someone could calculate shooting a .50 cal bullet just in front of and just behind your car moving at a certain speed, but if your wrong they are shooting at head level; would you play?

Eh? Wot? I bet my driver's license on it. That's enough gambling, thank you.

Redneck considerations:
    DRIVING ETIQUETTE

Dim your headlights for approaching vehicles, even if the gun is loaded, and the deer is in sight.

When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way.

Never tow another car using panty hose and duct tape.

When sending your wife/girlfriend down the road with a gas can, it is impolite to ask her to bring back beer.

Never relieve yourself from a moving vehicle, especially when driving.

Do not lay rubber while traveling in a funeral procession.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,813
    euphonium said:

The NJ law (and what is posted on the signs on the highways) is "Keep Right Except to Pass." So the speed limit has absolutely no bearing on our particular law.

I found a list by state. Interesting reading.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

Yes, passing lane violators complaining about the speed limit being the ultimate high speed on the road need a reality check, and an appointment with a psychologist to help with the neurosis.
  • danfromm, the reason I say that GPS isn't always accurate is: if you get stopped doing what your GPS shows as 60 mph and the officer asks you what the hurry is what are you gonna say? This cud be an example of a dialogue between someone who got pulled over: Officer: gud afternoon sir. How are you? You: oh hi! I'm great. How about you? Officer: I'm gud. So what is the big hurry that you have to be driving 65 in a 55? You: WHAT?? My GPS shows that I was going 55? Officer: I'm sorry sir but I clocked you going 65. I'm sorry but I will have to give you a ticket. You: is there anyway at all that you cud give me a warning? Officer: I cud pry do that. I want you to know tht GPS isn't always accurate. Just like now. Sometimes even our radar in our cars aren't correct. I would recommend that instead of following what your GPS shows as the correct speed that you wud just look at your speedometer and set your cruise according to that instead. Now I may be off my horse a little bit. But if I was you I pry wudnt put all my trust in the GPS for speed limit. I don't know. Maybe if some of you have a better explanation or example go for it.
  • One of you was confused or dishonest.
  • Well I think the officers radar Is pretty accurate. I don't know much about police to be able to say that they keep their radar updated. Anyone else out there, help me out here! Am I right or wrong?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,336

Well I think the officers radar Is pretty accurate. I don't know much about police to be able to say that they keep their radar updated. Anyone else out there, help me out here! Am I right or wrong?

Delurking here for a moment, for measuring speed GPS is very accurate, with an accuracy between 0.1 to 0.5 MPH. So if you are doing a consistent speed GPS would be the most consistent way to measure your speed. If your speed changes it might take a second to compute your current speed, but overall it would be more accurate than radar. People have beaten speeding tickets using GPS data.

As for speedometers, they are usually set to read high and there are many things that can cause variances in their reading (like tire size) and therefor are not as accurate as GPS.

Radar needs to be routinely calibrated and stray radio signals, among other things, could give false readings.

Back to lurking mode.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• gogogodzillagogogodzilla VirginiaPosts: 707
    euphonium said:

You only use the passing lane to pass. If you cannot pass at the speed limit, what are you even doing in the passing lane?
    On I-5 between LA & Canada the dense occupation of vehicles causes one to use all lanes none of which is honored as a passing lane. Vehicles don't avoid the phantom "passing lane" - they use it to just get there. Unless you experience it, you don't understand it.
    euphonium said:

On I-5 between LA & Canada the dense occupation of vehicles causes one to use all lanes none of which is honored as a passing lane. Vehicles don't avoid the phantom "passing lane" - they use it to just get there. Unless you experience it, you don't understand it.

The dense population of vehicles should still abide by lane rules, laws, courtesy, and discipline. I experience it every day, and that is no excuse for the transgression. Just because someone else does it, doesn't make it right to do it yourself; that's mob mentality.

If a vehicle enters the passing lane, that vehicle should be passing a vehicle to its right, and if they are not doing that, they are a jackass. Someone (or a few vehicles) are responsible for the left lane ceasing to be the fastest lane on the freeway.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,934
    Experienced a case of one of my pet peeves today... I'm behind a CR-V and we're approaching an intersection controlled by lights. Two lanes, with a two-lane left turn lane at the intersection. Light is red, as is the left turn arrow. It's a left turn that's turn only on green arrow, and the arrow's controlled by sensors in the road, so no car in the left turn lane means no green arrow. I'm going to turn left, so I flick my turn signal on well in advance of the intersection, hoping the guy ahead of me will notice I want to get into the left turn lane before the light changes. Nope. He slows waaaay down far ahead of the light, likely coasting up to it. Of course, by the time I get into the left turn lane it's too late to trigger the green arrow. So I wait through an entire cycle.

It's fine to coast up to a stop to save gas, and I do that myself all the time... when no one is behind me who might want to turn left or right! :@
    edited September 2015
    I often experience that in lanes that are optional go straight or turn right. In NJ, we can turn on red unless posted otherwise. When approaching such an intersection at which I want to turn right, I signal way in advance so that anyone who may want to go straight can use the center lane rather than blocking the right lane. Of course, many many times, they block the right lane for those of us who could turn right on red rather than waiting.

On the very rare occasion, I've been known to then move to the center lane and turn in front of that right-lane camper.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,923
    edited September 2015
    qbrozen said:

On the very rare occasion, I've been known to then move to the center lane and turn in front of that right-lane camper.

Oh, so tempting!

I try to do the same with regard to the lane courtesy if I receive input from drivers behind me. Most of the time, though, I'll see them flick on the signal close enough to the intersection that there's little I can do. Our lanes tend to be wide enough at the intersection that if I move far enough left and encroach a little on the crosswalk, drivers behind can slip through. Some will do it, many will not.

You can always tell the folks who have a decent handle on the dimensions of their cars by whether or not they'll accept your courtesy in this way. :p

2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    And then to be behind that driver who doesn't realize their 6-foot wide car can fit through a 8-foot wide slot! UGH!

• qbrozen, is that a legal thing to turn in front of a lane camper? I've had people put themselves in front of me like that that are going straight.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,923
    edited September 2015

qbrozen, is that a legal thing to turn in front of a lane camper? I've had people put themselves in front of me like that that are going straight.

That would be a "no," although it wouldn't be the first time that justice and the law didn't exactly align. ;)

Well, to be more specific, I can't find that it is strictly coded (e.g., "illegal"), but I'm sure that it is inconsiderate enough that a LEO could apply code to one or more aspects of the overall scenario in order to apply a fine!

2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • Lol! Ya that is true!