Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 1,106
    Ok, my story...............
    I was sitting in my car waiting for a friend to return from a store. A lady parked next to my car and when opening her car's door she banged it into mine. Still attempting to exit her car she again banged her car's door into mine. I sounded my horn. She said, "Oh quiet, buddy. My car is newer than yours."

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,929
    You should have gotten out of your car, checked to see if she damaged your car, and if she did ask her to exchange info (licenses, insurance) so that you could contact her insurance company. Then take pictures of the damage to your car (if you have a phone camera). I bet she'd love that. :)
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,619
    I don't even bother to relate the stories anymore. It seems things have gotten so out of hand that the notable trips are the ones where I *don't* come across some a**hat.
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla VirginiaPosts: 707
    edited February 2017
    xwesx said:

I don't even bother to relate the stories anymore. It seems things have gotten so out of hand that the notable trips are the ones where I *don't* come across some a**hat.

This is very true.

Just tonight, I saw an untold number of people driving with their headlights off.

And one guy stopped on the interstate, put his car in reverse, and backed up a good distance... all because he missed his exit.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,301
    edited February 2017
    Essentially the daylight, rain, etc., mandatory "headlight" law is very close to being universally unenforceable!? The documentation on the argument FOR the legislation/rule was hardly compellin, despite plausible logic. In the real world, where incidntly it really matters, the documentation on how many fatalities, accidents, injuries, property damage have been prevented are not even mandated, let alone kept. There were also no validated data gathering policy procedures collection and documentation. NHTSA lists no catergires.
    https://www.nhtsa.gov

It should be obvious that I am NOT saying that it it NOT acontributing factor to one of the safest years ever on NHTSA record. There is just no validated documentation.

To wit, you can pass on two lane roads with ZERO requirements for headlamps on while passing,proceeding on /in the oncoming lane! Now to me, the logic is clear & compelling & I put on the headlamps to high beams, while passing. But,... so what?

Your second scenario happened to a relative. The YAYHOO was stopped to the left of the number one lane, trying to get to the #5 exit! Guess whom the HP cited for "DISTINGUISHED" driving. The relatives insurance tattooed the distinguish drivers insurance company also.
    Yep, I see the "no headlights" scenario daily, whether dark or just low visibility. Heck, I think one of you pointed out that -50F photo I posted a couple weeks ago, where both vehicles in front of me were sans lights. Now, it's possible that one or both had DRLs active, but that does nothing for illumination from behind.

Last night, there was a <=2004 Tacoma that had some sort of headlights (very poor lighting) on, but the back end was completely dark. This is a WHITE truck, in Fairbanks, in the middle of winter. Not genius, for sure!
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • xwesx said:

Yep, I see the "no headlights" scenario daily, whether dark or just low visibility. Heck, I think one of you pointed out that -50F photo I posted a couple weeks ago, where both vehicles in front of me were sans lights. Now, it's possible that one or both had DRLs active, but that does nothing for illumination from behind.

Last night, there was a <=2004 Tacoma that had some sort of headlights (very poor lighting) on, but the back end was completely dark. This is a WHITE truck, in Fairbanks, in the middle of winter. Not genius, for sure!</p>

If you want to improve your lighting, check out this company: http://ddmtuning.com/index.php

They have LED lights available that will really be nice, especially up there where it can be DARK...

I installed some HID's from them, and I've been really happy with their products.
    edited February 2017
    Nice; thanks for the link, @slorenzen!

When you installed the HIDs, did you need to replace your assemblies, or were they able to handle the heat while still putting out a beam pattern that doesn't blind other drivers?
  • xwesx said:

Nice; thanks for the link, @slorenzen!

When you installed the HIDs, did you need to replace your assemblies, or were they able to handle the heat while still putting out a beam pattern that doesn't blind other drivers?

Nope, they replaced the existing halogen bulbs. There were ballasts required, but I just tie-wrapped them to the existing wiring harness.

Also, for the HIDs, they warned me not to get the 55 Watt bulbs, just the 35 watt, as the 55's would melt the housings.

I don't know about the LED's, but they have a support number you can call for advice. Up where you live, I'd want all the light I could get. I'm in a rural area of Oregon, and on dark rainy nights, I really appreciate the light I get from these HID's. BTW, the "color" of my bulbs are the 5000. Very very WHITE, with just a hint of blue.

Good to know, thanks! If either of these options last longer than the halogens I use now, I am all over it. I have to replace the bulbs *at least* annually (for low beams). My 2010 Forester has wonderful lighting, though. I used to put "moose lights" on all my vehicles, but never felt the need with this one.
  • xwesx said:

Good to know, thanks! If either of these options last longer than the halogens I use now, I am all over it. I have to replace the bulbs *at least* annually (for low beams). My 2010 Forester has wonderful lighting, though. I used to put "moose lights" on all my vehicles, but never felt the need with this one.

I had been using the "Silverlight" halogens for a while, but they'd burn out every couple years. These HID's are 3 years old, and I'm told they last a long time. The LED's have a half-life of about 20 years, so...

The LEDs are what caught my eye. Long life, low consumption, and probably wouldn't have to worry about people feeling blinded by them.

I would need to call them to find out if I need to leave the rear seal off the housing with these (looks like it with the cooling units), as that makes me a little nervous due to moisture and corrosion.
    Roads up here are incredibly slick right now (even by Alaska standards), and we're seeing an uptick in rollovers. One of my employees had a vehicle spin out and roll just in front of him on the Parks Highway on Sunday! Fun stuff!
    Care and consistency go a long way, but physics is still physics. I slid through an intended right turn into my parking lot this morning - there was no traction to slow at all, so my 15-20 mph on approach didn't decelerate much before I decided to abort and move on to the next turn.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,680
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '17 VW Golf Alltrack SE 4-Motion 1.8T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,566
    There are so many lunatics on the roads around here now that I've been remiss in citing their exploits lately. Red light runners are just too run of the mill now to get too excited about. But someone earned it this morning.

I come to a traffic light, get in the left turn lane behind a van to turn into the shopping center. We have a green light, but the green arrow has gone off. Steady traffic coming the other way, so we're just going to have to wait. About 5 or 6 cars go by, and the van driver apparently decides that they've had enough and decides to make the left in front of one of these:

who has to slam the brakes and swerve to avoid the collision. (A very good, not quite great, move)

The vehicles behind him reacted well too.

There was NOT a space to go through, even though they made it.

Being "on alert" 100% of the time while driving is wearing on me :)

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Share your vehicle reviews

PF_Flyer's 2014 Versa Note Long Term Blog
    How To Start Your Own Long Term Blog

Well, it is things like this that happen when you are not. Winter here now, and my biggest peeves remain well in play:

1. Inconsiderate drivers who have no problem clogging up multi-lane roads by driving 15-20 mph under the speed limit, either equal to or maybe 1 mph faster than traffic in the other lane(s). As always, drive however slow you feel you and your vehicle can handle, and do it knowing (and respecting) that others' limits differ!

2. Parking ignorance. Even though it is, in most cases, a simple process to deduce the proper location and orientation of parking spaces, people (most of whom park in these same spaces year-round!) feign ignorance of these details and park however and wherever they prefer.
    edited November 2017
    Had a guy in a Dodge Ram (Okay RAM is independent now) with a small trailer not want to use his reverse gear. He got mad as our swarm of "damn little Audi's" as he put it, surrounded him. It was his fault, he parked right in the middle of an un-striped lot.

Anyway, apparently his reverse wasn't working (my best guess being a Dodge Transmission), as he insisted 3 guys move their 3 cars so he could move forward and out without having to back up.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '17 VW Golf Alltrack SE 4-Motion 1.8T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
  • Steve EliasSteve Elias Posts: 2,183
    edited December 2017
    a3, i bet all you audi dudes gladly moved your cars, considering the possible alternatives if the truck doofus tried to reverse. you KNOW the dude was doing yall a big favor in the big picture! btw, didn't know ram was independent now, thanks for the heads up on that.

As a car-only-driver I avoid reversing since reverse has resulted in 100% of my very-few unintended-vehicular-contact situations in 40 years of driving.

I began personal 'no left turns unless no reasonable alternative' policy years before UPS & Fedex mandated the same for their drivers. Especially in city/urban driving. Passenger(s) tend to "comment" about that policy to this day as it often takes 4 or more right turns to do what a one u-turn or left-turn can provide.
    elias said:

a3, i bet all you audi dudes gladly moved your cars, considering the possible alternatives if the truck doofus tried to reverse. you KNOW the dude was doing yall a big favor in the big picture! btw, didn't know ram was independent now, thanks for the heads up on that.

I'm sure you're right about that, Elias! There are quite a few folks out there who are quite wiling to pull trailers, but quite unable to wrap their heads around the concept of backing one.

I feel fortunate that my father practiced trailer backing with us quite a bit when we were learning to drive. He even went so far as to put out cones for parallel parking, and doing so with a trailer was on the list of "must dos," not because we would actually do that some day, but because being able to do so demonstrated to him that we had a high level of control over the maneuver. That said, we didn't have any short wheelbase trailers, like an ATV trailer, and it took a little while to get the hang of just how reactive those are when backing them. The one we used, which was an 18' double-axle flat bed, was responsive in a very gentle sort of way. :)

The time I parked his 38' motorhome between two BMWs with about 3' total to spare (18" per side) convinced me that there was value in his dogged persistence about such matters.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,566
    On a road trip to the Cincinnati area this weekend, and it's like the LLC's have come out from winter hibernation! :o

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Share your vehicle reviews

PF_Flyer's 2014 Versa Note Long Term Blog
    How To Start Your Own Long Term Blog

PF_Flyer said:

On a road trip to the Cincinnati area this weekend, and it's like the LLC's have come out from winter hibernation! :o

Was it raining? I've noticed rain can give LLC's an emboldened braveness to break the law.
  • Steve EliasSteve Elias Posts: 2,183
    edited May 2018
    i "heart" passing LLCs and MLCs on the right, as is mandated in the local states where the usually-ignored law is: "on a multilane highway, motorists shall drive in the rightmost available lane".

I try to keep my passing speed within 10 mph or sometimes just a few mph of the MLC/LLCs, giving them plenty of time to notice me, and to allow them time/space/safety to move to the right if they so choose.
    edited May 2018
    I had a curious situation occur last night.....

I was driving home on a four-lane (two-way, two lanes each direction, non-divided) highway, about two miles from home, and I saw some ATV riders along the side of the road looking like they were having a problem. I stopped and found out that one of the riders lost a shoe to a mud pit when he was helping another rider get his rig free. Another rider (yes, there were a group of them - four, IIRC) was rooting around in the mud trying to locate the shoe, but he could not get a purchase on it about a foot down in the muck.

I let them borrow my little recovery spade so they could dig out the shoe (which was successful, after a time!), and then gave them some paper towels and wipes to clean off their hands and arms somewhat before departing.

This whole time, I was parked on the shoulder with my flashers on. After getting into the car, I turned off the flashers, put on my left signal, checked my mirror to see a pickup just cresting a hill behind me (probably about 1,500 feet back or so), and started accelerating into the right lane. At about 50mph or so (S/L is 55), I glance into my side view again and see this guy just barrelling down on me at probably 70+ mph, still in the right lane (left was completely clear). The guy lays on his horn and just keeps coming.... ?

So, I ducked over to the shoulder again, probably going about 60 at this point, and he races by me (still in the right lane). After he went by, I took the right lane behind him. Immediately, the guy slams on his brakes, so I took the left lane and briskly passed him before settling in at 60 about a half-mile up the road. I was making a left turn another half-mile up the way, so I took the left lane again, after which he came up behind me and rode there a bit, then switched into the right lane... still holding behind me. Once I moved into the left turn lane, he bore left across the left travel lane, into the turn lane, and started to make the left onto my road from behind me sort of as I was also starting my left.

Figuring that this was a good time to avoid a road rager, I quickly darted back to the still-clear left travel lane and continued on down the road another mile or so before turning onto another artery and working my way back to my house.

That dude was strung awfully tight, yet he was far from the sharpest instrument in the orchestra!
    xwesx said:

I had a curious situation occur last night.....

I was driving home on a four-lane (two-way, two lanes each direction, non-divided) highway, about two miles from home, and I saw some ATV riders along the side of the road looking like they were having a problem. I stopped and found out that one of the riders lost a shoe to a mud pit when he was helping another rider get his rig free. Another rider (yes, there were a group of them - four, IIRC) was rooting around in the mud trying to locate the shoe, but he could not get a purchase on it about a foot down in the muck.

I let them borrow my little recovery spade so they could dig out the shoe (which was successful, after a time!), and then gave them some paper towels and wipes to clean off their hands and arms somewhat before departing.

This whole time, I was parked on the shoulder with my flashers on. After getting into the car, I turned off the flashers, put on my left signal, checked my mirror to see a pickup just cresting a hill behind me (probably about 1,500 feet back or so), and started accelerating into the right lane. At about 50mph or so (S/L is 55), I glance into my side view again and see this guy just barrelling down on me at probably 70+ mph, still in the right lane (left was completely clear). The guy lays on his horn and just keeps coming.... ?

So, I ducked over to the shoulder again, probably going about 60 at this point, and he races by me (still in the right lane). After he went by, I took the right lane behind him. Immediately, the guy slams on his brakes, so I took the left lane and briskly passed him before settling in at 60 about a half-mile up the road. I was making a left turn another half-mile up the way, so I took the left lane again, after which he came up behind me and rode there a bit, then switched into the right lane... still holding behind me. Once I moved into the left turn lane, he bore left across the left travel lane, into the turn lane, and started to make the left onto my road from behind me sort of as I was also starting my left.

Figuring that this was a good time to avoid a road rager, I quickly darted back to the still-clear left travel lane and continued on down the road another mile or so before turning onto another artery and working my way back to my house.

That dude was strung awfully tight, yet he was far from the sharpest instrument in the orchestra!

Strange story. With the left lane open, I'm not sure what his major malfunction was to begin with!

Sometimes you just have to write-off human stupidity to psychosis or neurosis. :smile:
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 14,980
    xwesx said:
    I had a curious situation occur last night..... I was driving home on a four-lane (two-way, two lanes each direction, non-divided) highway, about two miles from home, and I saw some ATV riders along the side of the road looking like they were having a problem. I stopped and found out that one of the riders lost a shoe to a mud pit when he was helping another rider get his rig free. Another rider (yes, there were a group of them - four, IIRC) was rooting around in the mud trying to locate the shoe, but he could not get a purchase on it about a foot down in the muck. I let them borrow my little recovery spade so they could dig out the shoe (which was successful, after a time!), and then gave them some paper towels and wipes to clean off their hands and arms somewhat before departing. This whole time, I was parked on the shoulder with my flashers on. After getting into the car, I turned off the flashers, put on my left signal, checked my mirror to see a pickup just cresting a hill behind me (probably about 1,500 feet back or so), and started accelerating into the right lane. At about 50mph or so (S/L is 55), I glance into my side view again and see this guy just barrelling down on me at probably 70+ mph, still in the right lane (left was completely clear). The guy lays on his horn and just keeps coming.... ? So, I ducked over to the shoulder again, probably going about 60 at this point, and he races by me (still in the right lane). After he went by, I took the right lane behind him. Immediately, the guy slams on his brakes, so I took the left lane and briskly passed him before settling in at 60 about a half-mile up the road. I was making a left turn another half-mile up the way, so I took the left lane again, after which he came up behind me and rode there a bit, then switched into the right lane... still holding behind me. Once I moved into the left turn lane, he bore left across the left travel lane, into the turn lane, and started to make the left onto my road from behind me sort of as I was also starting my left. Figuring that this was a good time to avoid a road rager, I quickly darted back to the still-clear left travel lane and continued on down the road another mile or so before turning onto another artery and working my way back to my house. That dude was strung awfully tight, yet he was far from the sharpest instrument in the orchestra!
    Similar story, Saturday night I was out on my bike. The road was two lanes in each direction with a lane for left turns separating opposing traffic. I was in the left side of the left lane doing between 45 and 50 (SL is 45) when I noticed an SUV pulling out of a parking lot that was to my right making a right turn. Now as he pulls out I am almost right on top of him but I figure I should be OK as I am almost 2 full lanes away. Well I was wrong as he made his right turn into the left lane (my lane) with practically no time for me to react. I was able to swerve around him but it truly was a "say it then do it" moment.

At the very next light he pulls up to me rolls down his window and apologizes, I reply that it's cool but please watch out.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Oh, wow. That is sort of this silent terror that I feel when I am out on my bike (the pedal type, mind you, but just as exposed to vehicular idiocy!). I enjoy doing it, but I feel a little paranoid all the time because you just never know when someone will take the most obvious and practical maneuver and turn it into something life-threatening!

It's fantastic that he realized his error and owned it. Certainly didn't help your situation in having to deal with his mistake, but the likelihood of him doing it again is much lower!
    So why does this thread get relegated to bottom-billing in the listings of forums.
    edited May 2018
    andres3 said:

So why does this thread get relegated to bottom-billing in the listings of forums.

Some time ago (February 2017), it seems that something broke (or was intentionally shut off?!) where the "last post date" stalled, so it no longer cycled to the top of the discussion list for those who have it bookmarked. A few of us made several mentions of this, but no action was ever taken to fix it. :(
  • ronsteveronsteve LooavulPosts: 597
    elias said:

i "heart" passing LLCs and MLCs on the right, as is mandated in the local states where the usually-ignored law is: "on a multilane highway, motorists shall drive in the rightmost available lane".

I try to keep my passing speed within 10 mph or sometimes just a few mph of the MLC/LLCs, giving them plenty of time to notice me, and to allow them time/space/safety to move to the right if they so choose.

Middle lane is tricky, and honestly depends on how close together the exits are. One of our interstates here in Louisville (264/Watterson Expwy) is 4-5 lanes, with exits roughly 1 mile apart and the #4 lane actually peeling off as a ramp at times. At my typical cruise speed of 62-65 in a 55, I try to hold the #3 lane and move into #2 or even #1 as needed to pass.

As you head east of the city on I-64, there are 3 lanes each direction and at least 3 miles between exits. I like to hold the right lane there if I can, but frequently end up passing MLCs on the right and/or having to make bigger lane changes when 65 in the middle lane is passing 60 in the right lane on a hill (SL is 70)... many of those days, I decide I can't beat the MLCs and just join them.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 14,980
    xwesx said:
    Oh, wow. That is sort of this silent terror that I feel when I am out on my bike (the pedal type, mind you, but just as exposed to vehicular idiocy!). I enjoy doing it, but I feel a little paranoid all the time because you just never know when someone will take the most obvious and practical maneuver and turn it into something life-threatening! It's fantastic that he realized his error and owned it. Certainly didn't help your situation in having to deal with his mistake, but the likelihood of him doing it again is much lower!
    All I can say it's not my week.  :'(  Coming home for work I am in a line of cars in the left lane. Right lane is empty but turns into a right turn only lane at the intersection. Well traffic is going through the intersection rather slowly and I am trying to move along in such a way as not to have to come to a stop or slow down enough where I have to stop. 

Well some idiot decides to pass up the long line behind me and force his way from the right turn lane into my space. Well I lay on the horn but this moron still tries to push his way into my lane. I figure that since there is a medium between the oncoming lane and us I could just take a position in it.

Now here is the kicker, as I am moving out of the lane the lady in the car in front of me waves for me to pass her. As I passed her I have her a big thanks. 

My faith in humanity may have been restored. 

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D