Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,683
    "DEARBORN, Michigan — The Ford Taurus X will be discontinued in February, Ford spokesman Alan Hall confirmed to Inside Line on Thursday."

Ford Pulls the Plug On Taurus X (Inside Line)
  • TaurusX cancelled. We saw that coming. Ford has the Flex, which is really a bigger, enhanced TaurusX/Freestyle based on the Volvo-derived chassis, and the Edge, slightly smaller and based on the Mazda6-derived chassis. In addition, Ford wants to completely change the Explorer soon to make it a Volvo-derived chassis like the Flex/Freestyle/TaurusX. Who needs the TaurusX with all that going on?
  • vrmvrm Posts: 308
    Does the TaurusX have any 'known' problems?
    For example does it also suffer from the rear brake problem in the 2005/2006 Freestyle?

Thanks.
  • No problems whatsoever, other than it's not selling well. I've had my T-X for about a year now and it's still working perfect.

The rear brake issue with the Freestyle was fixed about three years ago, even before the conversion to the T-X.

Consumer Reports surveys show the Freestyle/T-X as being well above average for reliabilty in all categories.

I get even better milage than the official number - more like 25-27 MPG if I stay at 65 MPH.

It's a superb vehicle. I still can't believe what a nice crossover I got.
  • larrygw, I agree, the TaurusX is excellent. I sometimes think its the poster boy for a great American car that people seem to have overlooked (sales). Image problems. In reality, TaurusX performs very well in nearly every category.
    I am convinced that the TX is a good car! This car offers very good value and safety.

Its too bad that the TX got a bad start when it was introduced - the marketing and sales positioning suffered from the problems facing Ford.
  • What marketing? Like the Freestyle before it, the TaurusX had almost zero advertising. What ads there were for the Freestyle were incredibly lame. I look at some of the artistic, cool special effects for other models (and makes) of cars and then compare that with zippo for the Freestyle/TaurusX. People didn't know it existed. I was at an auto show in Denver last April, someone saw a TaurusX, and was heard saying out loud "What is that? Does Ford make that?". Sums it up.
    According to a local Ford dealer, the TaurusX is going to face a shortage of spare parts after 3 years. A few of the parts suppliers are on the verge of filing for bankruptcy. The suppliers who will remain in business will be overwhelmed with supporting the various models on the production line.

Discontinued models like the TaurusX will not be high on the list of these suppliers.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 4,098
    "According to a local Ford dealer, the TaurusX is going to face a shortage of spare parts after 3 years. A few of the parts suppliers are on the verge of filing for bankruptcy. The suppliers who will remain in business will be overwhelmed with supporting the various models on the production line.

Discontinued models like the TaurusX will not be high on the list of these suppliers. "

Let's hope not, because the mechanical components used in the T-Rex are the same as the other Ford corporate platforms; same engine and transmission. So I wouldn't worry about major repairs. Maybe some of the smaller components, but I should imagine that if there is a market, some small overseas firm (i.e., China or similar) will step in and produce the parts.

I would be much more concerned about the Freestyle components. The engine has been used for a long time, so there should be no problem there, but that CVT is not common. Uncertainty about the CVT is the main reason I chose to not purchase my FS at the end of its lease.
  • On another thread, we figured out there are about 350,000 CVT/3.0L_V6 tranny/engine combos out there in Ford500/Freestyle/Montegos out there in the world creating a market and cores.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,229
    On another thread, we figured out there are about 350,000 CVT/3.0L_V6 tranny/engine combos out there in Ford500/Freestyle/Montegos out there in the world creating a market and cores.

Ford bought that CVT from another mfr right? If that's the case, what other models from other mfrs was it used in if any?
  • "Ford bought that CVT from another mfr right? If that's the case, what other models from other mfrs was it used in if any?"

Great question. Ford enlisted the German company ZF to modify the CVTs currently found in some models of MiniCoopers (at BMW dealerships) and Audi's. I don't know of any other applications of ZF's CVT transmission. The Freestyle's ZF-brand CVT (assembled in Ohio, by the way) is not exactly the same CVT found in those other vehicles, but it is similar, although I think our Freestyles use the same internal CVT chain as the Audi. I doubt the other models of ZF-brand CVTs would fit (external housing, bolt pattern, mechatronics).

The only advantage may be that BMW and Audi dealerships might be willing to work on our CVT, since there might be enough similarities. Some internal parts are probably shared between all these ZF family of CVTs. Ford dealerships are still probably our best hope.
    I wouldn't worry about finding someone to work on the CVT. Finding parts would be my concern if anything. Since Ford, Audi, and BMW used similar CVT trannies I'd cross that worry off now. The parts should be plentiful for years to come if needed and don't forget about totalled models sitting in junk yards. Parts can easily be pulled out of them for use in another.
  • Good point, baggs32. Oddly, I do like junkyard diving. Haven't done it in about 5 years, but there may now be some good Freestyle carcasses (get it? -- 'car'casses) out there to pick some flesh off of. That CVT will be hard to get out of there. Sometimes the junkyard guy will pull the tranny out and hang if from a big hook in his warehouse.
    Sometimes the junkyard guy will pull the tranny out and hang if from a big hook in his warehouse.

I hear that's where Rocky goes to punch some 'car'casses now. :shades:
  • Am considering a used Freestyle. Can somebody confirm when the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty went into effect? According to Edmunds, the '05 and '06 powertrain is 3/36, and only the '07 has the 5/60. Some forum posts seem to imply that the 5/60 might have been on the '05 and/or the '06.

Thanks,

Mark
    We leased an '06 Explorer in 02/2006 and bought an '06 Mustang GT in 08/2006. The vehicle had to be purchased after 07/01/2006 IIRC for the new 5/60 warranty to apply. I do know that our Explorer does not qualify and the Mustang did.

There was some sort of deductible for the Mustang since it wasn't an '07 but I don't recall how much it was. I think it was $50. I'm not sure that the warranty was transferrable either so the used FS you are looking at may not carry that 5/60 over.
  • xtra1xtra1 Posts: 3
    Hi, I have a 2008 Taurus X (so far I really like it), actually reading this forum helped me make my informed decision. Anyway, I just got my 15K servicing. The dealer wanted to charge me an extra ~$45 to replace the air filter. I nixed this repair because I think maybe I can do this myself. Can anyone talk me through the process.

TIA
    Hi,
    Just curious if Ford really requires a 15K service? Or is the service "recommended" by the dealer? Did you buy new or used?

For the air filter, look in your owners manual. There should be a diagram/explanation as to how change this.
    thanks for your response. the car informed me that it was ready for an oil change when i hit 15k. it's supposed to have the oil changed every 7.5k miles. i bought the car new. i will check my owners manual today for air filter instructions and also to confirm what's expected for scheduled maintenance.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Posts: 877
    Air filters are supposed to go for 30,000 miles, not 15,000. If you live in the dusty desert, then 15,000 might be OK, though.
    I got an awful shock when I went for a routine oil change and was told I needed to have my rear brakes replaced and all four tires changed. It sounded like a scam from the dealership so I confirmed with a highly respected local mechanic.

According to the Ford Warranty 18,000 miles is the cut off for Ford to voluntarily replace the brakes for free. Is there anything I can do? I am so furious.

In addition, I have experienced 3x the car stopping movement when I'm turning and applying the brakes at a low speed(like 10mph) Then the car starts back up. It seems like an ABS problem. I have experienced it 2x making a left but my husband noticed it 1x making a right. Does anyone else know anything about this? I'm wondering if a problem in the front could cause the excessive wear in the rear.
  • My TX just had all 4 brakes and tires replaced at 27000 miles. It's a company lease so I was not all that worried about it but it was strange. I also had to change out the battery recently. All this is still relatively minor, and I'm happy with the vehicle but I'm starting to worry a bit.
    It would be helpful if you include the model year and trim in such messages.
    Thanks!
  • joes11joes11 Posts: 8
    I have an SEL AWD and so far I am getting 13.5 mpg in the city just running errands around town no more than 5 miles away. Is this common?..I though I would be getting at least 15 mpg.
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    I have an 08 Limited FWD and get 19-20 around town and just got back from a 3,000 mile trip where the average was 25.1 mpg.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,306
    You should bear in mind that the trips you are describing are basically the worse case scenario for fuel consumption. It could only get worse by adding hills and significant cold ( which is my situation ) or altitude.
  • 17 mpg in town with awd.
  • on'08 taurus x limited ---i reset tire pressure then went to check the tire pressure OK on the unit---but it did'nt show up--all other messages were there ((oil pressure etc) but no tire pressure/ it was shopwing on the message unit when i checked the pressure a couple of month's ago. vehicle has 5k on it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 11,861
    several local dealers have some for sale under 20k with less than 40k on them.
    i like my awd fusion, but i think we could still use another wagon.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4