Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• surfsuppsurfsupp Member Posts: 10
    wow - this forum seems to have turned fiercely anti-Treg. Sigh, even forums elsewhere dedicated to the treg seem to be suffering from sheer boredom after the initial 2 or 3 posters purchased their vehicles and posted pictures of it.

Having researched the acura mdx, the infiniti fx35 w/ tech, and even the land rover discovery - i find that the owners of these products seem to be much more passionate about their products one way or the other. (especially the fx guys).

But as I am still in decision mode and leaning towards the Treg over the FX - MUDMAN2 - can you provide any other details about how the Treg is performing long term over there? (I thought the UK launch date was timed very closely to the US launch date - so that there would also be limited long term opinions regarding the treg in the uk.)

that info could definitely help me to turn the tide against the treg and what seems like an incredibly slow release of the treg here on the west coast.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    "It is unfathonable to me why VW would choose to compete with Lexus/Acura/Volvo/Infinite when they have Audi for that!? They did not have to go outside of their normal pricing range to improve their image/quality issues - they just have to make better cars, which they are starting to do."

I just wonder if any German car manufacturer can effectively compete at the low end of the market anymore, at least trying to sell them here in the U.S. Germany has the highest labor costs in the world, plus their tax structure and social welfare costs make it very difficult to build high-volume, low-priced cars. Many German companies are moving manufacturing jobs to other countries, mostly Eastern Europe where costs are much cheaper. Long-term, I would think it will be very difficult for VW to compete with the Koreans and Japanese unless they are able to lower their costs, as buyers of cars of low-priced cars are very price sensitive. Maybe this growing cost disadvantage entered into their strategy of moving upscale, as long term they may have seen the handwriting on the wall and decided they have little choice.

The biggest challenge I think will be to improve their quality and reliability rankings. If you move upscale the quality has got to be there, especially with "mainstream luxury" cars buyers that VW is targeting. Enthusiast buyers may have more tolerance for going to the shop for repairs, as long as the car offers great performance for the money. Lexus-type buyers are less forgiving when it comes to things breaking or wearing out prematurely. And I can't remember the last time that a VW has finished very high in one of the JD Powers surveys, and right now VW does not have as good of a reputation for reliability as it will need to have if it's to succeed in the high-priced luxury segment. Changing the public's perception of this will take more time than improving the quality itself. I certainly hope they can do it, but it's not going to quick or easy.
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    but this has become very entertaining!

Some observations:
    If you value performance the most and don't need to go off-road or tow, then a Murano is probably a better choice, provided the inferior interior is acceptable. The Touareg is not a hot-rod.

RE: "the Porsche Cayenne has different transmissions, ..." HUH? Excuse me, but the Tiptronic tranny has been in Porsche/Audi/VW for a LONG time. Even my VW truck has many parts labeled "VW/Porsche" on them. I don't believe that Porsche has sold a vehicle that contained even 50% Porsche manufactured parts for a couple of decades now. A Cayenne is a VW except for 3 things: Paint, engine, seats.

RE "If VW made a mainstream SUV..."
    They do ... its called the Passat 4-motion wagon.
    They just don't market it as such.
    Does everything a Subura Outback does, except look stupid! (IMO)
    And safer than Volvo's small wagons. (Even my '98 Beetle was rated safer than the similar sized Volvos ... something most Volvo buyers are not aware of)

RE VW competing against Mercedes.
    First off, there are still many Americans who don't know that VW builds vehicles that Mercedes puts an engine into and their badge on (just like Porsche does with the Cayenne). And most people don't realize that Toyota's and Volvo's most reliable vehicles are powered by VW engines.
    But Mercedes started the war with the A-class, several years back. Until then, VW made low-cost high volume cars (the Golf has surpassed the old Beetle as the highest production model ever) and Mercedes made high-cost, low-volume cars.
    Mercedes crossed the line with the A-class, and they are paying the price with E-class sales lost to Passats (many years later now).

RE Phaeton a failure:
    We don't know yet. The Phaeton was not designed to make money selling Phaeton. The former VW chairman who started the program clearly stated that its purpose was to sell more Jetta V6 sedans, especially in the US. So if the Phaeton causes a small portion of Honda and Toyota buyers to test a Jetta to learn what a modern German sedan is like it will have succeeded.

And hopefully we won't have to put up this drivel about "quality" from people who haven't been in a VW since they were cramming into a '59 bug with 15 of their drunken buddies a few decades ago. Yes, they can improve ... but comparing even a Jetta with heated seats and rain sensitive wipers amongst its features to an Echo is like comparing a Boeing 757 to a pogo-stick ... I'm sure the 757 has more "initial problems" according to JD powers. They need a better metric for quality!

One of the biggest advantages of a VW T-reg over a Lexus? If VW finds a fault that puts your safety at risk they will actually issue a recall and fix it. They are more concerned about YOUR SAFETY than with THEIR IMAGE. That is NOT the case with certain Japanese nameplates.

I guess that's what makes VW owners different and its reflected in their advertising style. They are selling vehicle not an image. (take a look at how many car ads on TV feature vehicles driven on roads/highways with NO OTHER TRAFFIC ON THEM! And twisty scenic coastal roads without a '76 Pace Arrow motorhome leading a line of 7 other cars at a crawl! They are selling the sizzle, not the steak. Which are you buying?)

So if you want a jacked up hot-rod with a cheap interior and weak resale, buy a Murano. Its a great vehicle otherwise. Really! If you want a boulevard cruiser with "status" buy the bloated Camry called a Lexus RX ... and don't touch the brakes on high-speed corners (oh sorry ... its a Lexus ... nobody ever drives them over the speed limit ... but somehow NEEDS to be in the left lane of the freeway regardless ;^)

Please leave the Audis and VWs for those of us who like a solid, safe, well-engineered vehicle with above average resale value that can be driven 10 hours without getting a sore back. (I've driven over 20 hours in Passats and Eurovans without back problems and I'm 6'5" ... only my Benz S-class was as comfortable)

There's a reason that VW sells more cars (not trucks) than Daimler/Chrysler, Ford, or even GM!
    The T-reg will never be a high volume vehicle. But for those who want a combination of luxury, comfort, handling and either towing or off-road capability; in a package that's tough as nails; with the highest levels of safety; but cost IS a factor; there is no equal.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    "If VW finds a fault that puts your safety at risk they will actually issue a recall and fix it. They are more concerned about YOUR SAFETY than with THEIR IMAGE. "

Somebody forgets recent history! It was the newspapers who broke the coil problem. VW didn't see anything wrong customers being stranded in the interstates, or worse. Wasn't some unfortunate stranded Passat owner run over and killed in Ohio?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I too love a spirited debate and for the moment I am falling over with disbelief concerning the issues that are brought up pertaining to the T-reg's price.

It is MORE for the money than the competition. It may be discounted, it MAY come down in price who knows?

The press (generally) thinks the Touareg is a hot property at a reasonable price. What is up with the complaints about VW asking more for a vehicle than they have in the past.

I welcome VW upmarket. I hope the dealers can make the transition, I don't worry much about VW the company making it.

If you want a car based SUV/like vehicle and a Passat W8 wagon doesn't do it for you and the T-reg underwhelms you in V6 form, buy an allroad for $42,000 and grin each and every time you get behind the wheel.

Between the Touareg, Passat (both 6 and 8 w/4motion) and allroad (now 6 and 8 versions) if you can't find a fine SUV or SUV like cars and feel you must have the Murano or whatever else is out there -- well perhaps you haven't really examined the German alternative completely.

Test these three brands, report back to us.

Good luck!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I agree there are many people where these features are important, but almost by definition they should/will purchase a traditional SUV for those things. That's why the other vehicles you mention will continue to sell well.

Well I think VW is challenging these "traditional" SUV values, and I for one welcome the challenge. Perhaps a new paradigm for traditional SUVs is in order, and the Touareg will be a key factor in establishing this new benchmark.

Bob
    the Nissan Pathfinder Armada or its' sister-ship the Infiniti QX56, in comparison to the Touareg.

While most people seem to feel the Touareg is "mid-sized," it offers features (and pricing) that would, I think, having people cross-shopping it with full-size SUVs, like the Armada.

For those not familiar with the soon-to-be-released Armada/QX56:

• 5.6L DOHC all-alloy V8, of 300+ HP, and 375+ torque. Final figures have yet to be released.

• 5-speed Automatic

• 2-speed transfer case with full-time 4WD

• Full-size spare tire

• Fully independent suspension

• 3 row-seating for 8

• Roughly Ford Expedition-sized

• 9100 pounds of towing

• Stunning looks (IMO)

• Probably priced in the Touareg V8 range(?), at least for for the Nissan version.

• Probably will offer a level of sophistication and refinement not found on domestic full-size SUVs, that would/could appeal to the Touareg customer.

Bob
  • mml7mml7 Member Posts: 55
    Funny nobody has mentioned the the Nissan Pathfinder Armada or its' sister-ship the Infiniti QX56, in comparison to the Touareg.

Not really considering that they are competing in two different segments. The Armada is huge; It's about 20" longer, 6" higher and 3" wider than the Touareg. The Armada is actually a little bit bigger than the Ford Expedition, which dwarfs the Touareg in size.
    I still think it would be cross-shopped, just as the it will be cross-shopped with vehicles of far lesser capability (Pilot, Highlander, Murano, etc.).

Also, the Touareg is stepping on full-size SUVs toes in terms of towing, curb weight, fuel mileage, off-road ability, and so on. The Armada offers refinement and sophistication not previously found in domestic SUVs.

I can't speak for others, but I'd certainly cross-shop the Touareg with the Armada.

Bob
    I've been a member of Edmunds for 4 years or better. It never ceases to amaze me what people cross-shop. While a Touareg vs. Armada may seem outlandish to some, it's much more reasonable than some of the choices I've seen compared.

A recent edition of UK's CAR magazine just compared the Touareg to the all-new Range Rover (the RR won the off-road segment, BTW). I think the RR vs Touareg has as much validity as the Touareg vs. Armada. Yes, the RR is closer in size, but it is far more expensive.

Bob
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    anyway I am cross shopping them and am leaning heavily torwards the armada.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Or are you thinking you are in the Armada discussion?

clpurnell "2004 Nissan Armada" Jul 22, 2003 2:57pm

Bob's right about cross-shopping; you'll see it all around Town Hall. Makes you understand how someone can go to the dealer to check out an nice Passat wagon and leave with a Touareg.

Steve, Host
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    T has been available for quite some time in Europe, its main market. The trade doubts dealerships being able to sell high $ VW's in conjunction with the others in the range, Audi better suited but competition with others in that range prohibits that. Dealers tend not to be combined as in US. Differentiation is high.

Above reference to Car mag needs to be re-read by author its not testing cars in the same segment but cars of similar purported capability.

Here is a RR test "in segment"
    http://motorvision.sport1.de/coremedia/generator/www.motorvision.- de/Rubriken/Videos/Motorvision/Videos/Vergleichstest/Paare/mv43_2- 03er_20Vergleich.html

As usual its a duck shoot, buy what you like.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    You said, "...most people don't realize that Toyota's and Volvo's most reliable vehicles are powered by VW engines."

Huh? There are no Volvos with VW engines. Their current inline engine family (which dates back to 1989 and is about to be replaced) was developed in a joint engineering effort with Porsche and they started with a blank piece of paper. Soon they will have a new engine family of inline engines and a Yamaha-designed V8.

I'm not as up on Toyota products but I'd be surprised to find any significant number of Toyotas sold in the U.S. with VW engines (although I think I recently read something about a joint effort for future Corollas maybe?)

Please let us know which Volvos and or Toyotas you think have VW engines.

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
    thats not it I think I hit message center instead of post after I composed the post. Oh well better luck next time :)
    rsholland wrote:
    The Armada offers refinement and sophistication not previously found in domestic SUVs.

The Ford Expedition offers most if not all of the features of the Armada including options such as in-dash nav, DVD entertainment system, etc.

I've been a member of Edmunds for 4 years or better. It never ceases to amaze me what people cross-shop. While a Touareg vs. Armada may seem outlandish to some, it's much more reasonable than some of the choices I've seen compared.

I agree that people will cross-shop seemingly unrelated vehicles - heck, I once shopped a Mazda Protege against an Audi A4 to see if it gave me that 'BMW verve' for half price (it didn't). However, I disagree with your assessment that the Pathfinder Armada v. Touareg is more reasonable than some of the other choices. The Pathfinder, IMO, would be a more reasonable comparison.

A recent edition of UK's CAR magazine just compared the Touareg to the all-new Range Rover (the RR won the off-road segment, BTW). I think the RR vs Touareg has as much validity as the Touareg vs. Armada. Yes, the RR is closer in size, but it is far more expensive.

In the creation of the Touareg, VW set their sites on creating an SUV with the off-road capabilities of a Range Rover coupled with the on-road prowess of the BMW X-5. It is not surprising (IMO) that CAR mag would compare the two. Based on its published specs, it seems that the Armada is targeting the Ford Expedition/Chevy Suburban (Envoy?) audience, much the way Toyota targeted the F-series and Chevy Silverado with the Tundra.

In anycase, when you do go out to compare the two, please don't come back here just to say, "The Touareg's too small" ;-)
    I won't. :) If anything, I'll probably say the Armada is too large. I really prefer mid-size SUVs. In fact of all the full-size SUVs, I prefer the Tahoe the most. While somewhat crude by Touareg and Armada standards, it's the perfect blend of size and capability.

As to the Expedition, which I have driven, it is a very impressive SUV. However, I don't think it will have the same appeal as the Armada, for the following reasons:

• It's a Ford. Some people (not me) will disregard it just because of that.

• Some people (not me) will not consider a domestic SUV, no matter how good it may be.

• The Armada has a DOHC 5.6 all-alloy V8, and a 5-speed automatic, which the Ford can't match. Those engine features will probably push the right buttons for many import buyers.

• I suspect switches and controls will be better thought out than in the Ford. However, at this moment, that's just a guess.

As to the CAR road/off-road test, I admit to only have skimmed the article. So I don't want to leave the impression that what I wrote to be "absolute."

I agree the Armada would most likely be compared to the Sequoia and Land Cruiser, as well as the Expedition and Tahoe/Suburban, but I still think some Touareg buyers might look at it too. As I said before, I certainly would if I were in that market.

Bob
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    Currently MB is giving away ML. You can get a brand new ML350 for $35K.
    My post that I lost related how the Armada offers the best of all the full size SUV's. It has the fold flat seats, nav, dvd and indy suspension of the ford. The Engine and Transmision (Titan reviews) have already said to be on Par with Chevy's 5.3/6.0 V8's and Dodge's Hemi. It should have build quality and reliability to rival Toyota. I think VW (bringing me back on topic) should offer a touareg xl/ext. make it 12 inches longer add a third row and put the v8 or v10 in it and price it at 35-45k. Then it would have a definite winner. I feel if vw wasn't building a mainstream suv (ie 27-35k subtract all the off road gizmos) they should have built something like I suggested above.
    with 3rd-row seating is an excellent suggestion. Maybe then they'll figure out how to also include a full-size spare. ;) My understanding is the upcoming Audi version will offer a 3rd-row seat, and stretched wheelbase.

Speaking of full-size spare (again!), I was looking through my Porsche Cayanne brochure, and Cayanne accessory brochure, and noticed a full-size spare is available as an option for both the turbo and non-turbo models.

Bob
    A full size spare is available and included in the Touareg...it's just of the inflatable variety (they do include an air compressor with each car).

Increasing the wheelbase will likely lead to a degradation of handling qualities. As it currently stands, I'd bet that the Touareg could easily outhandle any full sized SUV as well as virtually any other mid-sized one.

Has the Audi Pikes Peak been announced? or is it still considered a concept vehicle?
    You can check the buzz in 2005 Audi Pikes Peak.

(hint - there's not much buzz!)

Steve, Host
    A full size spare is available and included in the Touareg...it's just of the inflatable variety (they do include an air compressor with each car).

It's a temp tire, not a full-service, full-size tire. I want a traditional full-size spare on my SUV. I want it fully inflated, and I want to be able to put the now-flat full-size tire in the spare tire well.

Bob
    I am pretty certain that such an exterior mounted full sized spare will soon be available.
  • prajapatiprajapati Member Posts: 33
    I think too much space is wasted under the hood in a Touareg with a V6 configuration. The T has to have a large engine compartment - large space under the hood - to accommodate all those Vxx (V8, v10, v12...V16, V64 whatever) engines and that probably puts a squeeze on internal passenger space. The performance of a V6 could be adequate for many shoppers but the rear seat space (35.6") may not. (And that's when the price point comes in picture!)

Most other auto makers such as Honda, Nissan, Toyota, GM, Volvo, Lexus, Toyota etc. makes powerful V6 engines so often they don't (need to) offer other engine configuration - which helps them utilize space more efficiently. Honda Pilot is an excellent example.

So, it's a Volkswagen SUV that doesn't what other SUVs do!

- By a VW passat enthu.
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    RE:
    Huh? There are no Volvos with VW engines. Their current inline engine family (which dates back to 1989 and is about to be replaced) was developed in a joint engineering effort with Porsche and they started with a blank piece of paper. Soon they will have a new engine family of inline engines and a Yamaha-designed V8.

I'm not as up on Toyota products but I'd be surprised to find any significant number of Toyotas sold in the U.S. with VW engines (although I think I recently read something about a joint effort for future Corollas maybe?)

Please let us know which Volvos and or Toyotas you think have VW engines.

Have you ever seen a Volvo with a diesel engine?
    Before VW/Audi's V6 TDI VW built 3 models of diesels:
    - 4-cyl. diesels went into VW cars
    - 5-cyl. diesels went into Audi cars (& VW trucks)
    - 6-cyl. diesels went into Volvo cars
    But they share the same parts except block, crank, head, cam, injection unit.

I don't think Toyota has the capability to actually design a diesel of their own.
    The Landcruiser diesel was an exact rip-off of the Hino truck engine ... right down to EVERY part being interchangable. (Great engine ... I had a LandCruiser diesel before my VW 1-ton truck)
    Until recently Toyota was the only major manufacturer not building their own twin-cam cylinder heads ... but I can't recall which motorcycle manufacturer builds their heads (its not Honda though! -- does anyone know if Toyota finally manufactures twin-cam heads?)

But Toyota sells lots of cars in Europe and Asia with diesel engines. They made a deal with VW a few years back to purchase 5 million of VW's 1.9 liter TDI engines (like in the current Golf/Jetta/New Beetle/A4 etc.)

I'm not sure if they've purchased them all yet or not.

Regardless, the point is that the most reliable Volvos are the ones with Diesels, and those engines are built by VW. (I've owned Volvos before too ... my first wife actually got good at push-starting her gas-powered Volvo wagon in city traffic in the rain ... the only time it would stall and refuse to start was when it was raining hard)

Here's a test of your memory .... which Chrysler model sold in the US in the 1980's was powered by a VW Golf engine?
    I bet lots of readers know this one (And have owned or driven one).
    Thanks for the response dieselbreath. Volvo's PREVIOUS diesel engine did have some VW influence as I recall but I don't think this one ever made it to the U.S.?

Volvo's current diesel, which was introduced in the past couple of years, was developed by Volvo and has apparently garnered some acclaim in Europe. They still don't sell them here though (come to think of it I don't think anybody sells diesel option cars here anymore - the last I remember is the Mercedes e300 from a few years back.)

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net

p.s. - Since we'e tossing out teasers - which Chrysler product sold in the 80s was powered by an engine derived from a Peugeot / Volvo design?
    Have you seen the new Fed-Ex trucks (a tall, BIG van) with a Dodge van grille on the front?
    You've probably seen the identical ones with a Mercedes logo on the front and back.
    And you may have seen them a few years ago with a Freightliner name above the rear license plate.

The Dodge grill is slapped on a unit imported from Benz (Daimler Chrysler) that Mercedes sells as the "Sprinter" van in Europe. Its built by VW and sold as the "LT2" by VW in Europe. (Mercedes also sells the VW Eurovan with their own engine, and that's why my wife's Eurovan has a Mercedes bolt-pattern -- Mercedes mags fit, but not VW/Audi)

I suspect the Freightliner version was purchsed by Freightliner directly from VW. Frieghtliner has been using cabs built by VW of Brazil for many years.

The joint VW-Mercedes van agreement was started in 1996 and has just been extended a further 8 years.

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but I think that those concerned about "VW quality" should know that VW's quality is good enough for Chrysler, Volvo, Toyota, Mercedes and Freightliner trucks. Plus, most ambulances in Europe and the middle east are of the VW/Benz LT2/Sprinter variety. And motorhomes .......
    Those vans do look interesting, and there could be some unique customizing done with them.

Dodge/Freightliner (Mercedes/Sprinter)

Steve, Host
    That Chrysler product that you refer to ... did they have the V6 in that? I thought that most were the 4-cyl. engine, and it was the original French design I think ... only the V6 was the shared design from the 3 companies (with Peugot & Volvo).
    A prior post talked about a Volvo V6 designed with Porsche, but I think the poster was thinking of this 3-company collaboration which was the common engine for all high-end cars from Volvo and both French car-makers. The incentive was the result of the low-volumes of sales of cars with "big" V6 engines in Europe. The engineering costs couldn't be recovered off the sales of one brand.

But its interesting to consider that Chrysler was using French and German engines back then.
    Thanks for the link Steve!

I didn't know they were selling them now.
    It will be really interesting to see what the camper conversion folks in the USA do with these!

(Imagine starting with a roomy, practical vehicle that you can almost stand up in for a camper rather than a cramped commercial delivery van)
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    V8X will come with a full size spare mounted on the tailgate, skid plates, and other goodies...When? Q4...Frankly, I am just trying to get an inventory of the currently availables...

Bill O'Neil will go crazy when he sees how well this truck does...40MPH offset and side impact...the IIHS will probably have to restructure all of their perameters...This thing is a tank, but with car level bumpers...never done before...
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Looks like you are right, rsholland.

"Some may gripe that three rows of seats would better handle larger families with child safety seats. VW responds that a longer Touareg is not planned, but if you can wait a few years until the concept Audi Pikes Peak becomes reality, demands for more people capacity will be realized. The Pikes Peak, by the way, is built off the same platform as Touareg."

Here's a link to the Touareg review, by Jim Mateja, Chicago Tribune, via today's Philadelphia Inquirer -

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/classifieds/automotive/6378295- - .htm
    No...Touareg V8x...Model Code: 7LADM1
    That was the answer, I hope, to the question several posts back!
    Thanks for the reply. The Dodge Monaco/Eagle Premiere may have had a 4 banger to begin with (I don't remember those) but most had a refined version of the PRV (Peugeot-Renault-Volvo) V6 used in those brands of the era (it was a horrid engine for all involved.) To this date the PRV V6 is the only engine I've known Volvo indy garages to refust to touch (of course that was several years ago - now they're so old that maybe mechanics will take the risk of fixing one!)

The Porsche influence is in Volvo's current engine family (inline 4,5,and 6 cylinders.) Volvo contracted Porsche for components of engine design and did the rest themselves. As I mentioned before, this engine family dates back to 1989 and is slated for replacement with a new inline engine family and Yamaha-designed V8 soon.

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
    Honda, GM, Ford, Toyota....put full size spares in SUV's for looks.....they don't care about weight or handling. One percent of SUV owners will take their SUV's offroad. A fraction of those SUV owners will ever take them actually offroad and lose a tire. For that, we have made precausions... Volkswagen puts full size spares in all of our sedans.

The irony here is that the VW in most need of a full-size spare -- the Touareg -- doesn't get one. I applaud VW for putting a full-size spare in their cars.

VW has "teased" the SUV crowd with a 6-speed tiptronic tranny, a dual-range transfer case, 7000+ towing, and yet no full-size spare. As much as I like the Touareg, not having a full-size spare is a deal-breaker for me, and for anybody who is serious about going off-road and/or towing.

Bob
    It bears noting that all Touaregs come with not only an Inflatable Spare, but a "Breakdown" set as well...

So...if you are off road or back road and should happen to get a flat; it is repairable...if it is not, then the Inflatable Spare would be called into Service...

Guidelines do not advise speeds in excess of 50MPH
    with either the repaired tire or the spare, by cannot imagine doing that in the bush in any event...
  • ohiosuvohiosuv Member Posts: 33
    Today's (Friday, 7/25) Wall Street Journal has a review of the Touareg. I interpreted it to say the Treg was just OK. Rather than go into detail on my interpretation, take a look at the article.
    I wonder if that new Yamaha V8 will share any lineage with the aluminum Yamaha V6 used in the Taurus SHO a few year back.
    I saw a hot-rod with the Yamaha engine in it, and the owner had polished the aluminum induction system (which has 6 large, distinct intake runners like an older Ferrari or something) and it was georgeous!

BTW: The Volvo diesels were imported into the US for some time.
    My cousin in Seattle has one. (a 740 DL or something?)
    Yeah, Volvo had diesels in the old 200/100 series line as well for some time. I don't think they've sold diesels in the U.S. for at least 10 years though at this point.

From what little I've read the new Yamaha-designed V8 is new from the ground up (and there will be a blown version as well.) It's too bad the Cosworth V10 they commissioned a few years back never made it into a production Volvo...

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • c5loverc5lover Member Posts: 17
    Test drove the V8 yesterday and loved it. Crisp (for an SUV) handling, adequate power, and very nice accommodations inside for family of four (two young kids). Best of all, local dealer is offering limited time (ten in stock) invoice plus 400.00 pricing and VW low interest rate financing. I never thought I'd like any SUV (other cars here include Corvette C5 and Subaru WRX) but this one is the exception - a Cayenne-light for half the price.
    Color us happy.
  • ohiosuvohiosuv Member Posts: 33
    I figured VW would have to lower the price to sell the Touareg, but I never thought it would happen this soon. Maybe just an exception, but you bought it right!
    I'll keep it brief for now.

Yesterday I stopped by a different VW dealer (this one in San Juan Capistrano) and finally had a pleasant sales experience at a VW dealer.
    I stopped by with the Mrs. and 7 year old son.

We test drove the V8 version of the Touareg on an extended drive (20 minutes or so) and I was initially VERY impressed. It's the performance of the V8 version that so impresses you. With time to thoroughly examine this machine I came away less impressed.

Overall the design of this truck is VERY nice. It is small inside as it only holds 5 people. My son said I was hitting his legs when I moved the driver's seat back (I'm 5'11"). The interior LOOKS nicer than any other SUV in its class. Upon closer inspection the hard grainy plastic on the dash is sub-standard and the seat leather isn't up to par. I should mention that my comparisons are mostly against the Volvo XC90 T6 (7 seat version) since it is the only other finalist in our search so far.
    The interior had the nicest combination of chrome, real wood and plood, and aluminum accents but somehow between the seats and dash it didn't quite work out for me. Either you're going upscale or you're not - not half of each.

The driver info center is quite nice and allows you to tweek settings in the car instead of having to get a software download from a dealer. The navigation system was standard which is to say bad in comparison to Volvos because it is on the dash face instead of dash top and the controls aren't on the steering wheel (Volvo is still the only one who keeps the drivers eyes on the horizon and hands on the wheel when using the navi unit.)

The inflatable spare was interesting. I guess it's better than nothing at all but I don't ever see my wife wrestling this heavy thing out to change a tire and using the compressor to inflate the temporary tire.

In the end, it is the performance that makes the Touareg V8 a standout. It's acceleration and exhaust note are closest to the BMW X5 4.4 in my experience. It handles VERY well and with the heavy duty suspension it can handle 7,700 lbs of towing duties which is class leading I believe (vs. 5,000 for the XC90.)

I don't know what the actual price would be (we didn't get that far) but the dealer said they aren't asking for any markups (and they had a few T-Regs around so maybe the market will get soft soon - they alluded to a lot of these things sitting in port.) I could be wrong but as nice as the T-Reg is I don't think people are lining up to throw upwards of $50k at VW in this market (we priced a T-Reg with options the Mrs. wants and it came in at $50k which is the same as the XC90 T6 loaded as well.)

We're not done yet but it will probably be a XC90 T6 with a chip sitting in the garage once my wife's current car lease is up.

Overall I think the T-Reg is a great start for VW but it just doesn't fit all our needs (to small inside and I don't need to pay a premium for its off-road capabilities or towing capacity since I'll need neither.)

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    Good review. I still have not been able to drive the T-Reg. Dealer here in Rockville MD wants a $500 refundable deposit before they will let you even drive it off their lot. I think they are holding out for MSRP. I will go to another dealer during the next week and finally get a test drive. This is my first experience trying to deal with a VW dealer - is this typical?
    No, it's not typical. I would run, not walk but run, from that dealer.

I drove one at Fitzgeralds VW in Frederick, MD. No problems whatsoever. I was also by Stohlman's VW in Tysons Corner over the weekend, and they had a bunch on their lot, and I saw people taking test drives.

Bob
  • c5loverc5lover Member Posts: 17
    I didn't see any reason whatsover to spend another 4K for the air-adjustable ride height and HID's (although, the HIDs would have been nice, they aren't really essential to me) so the only option we have is the Navigation thingie. To be perfectly honest, it's a gimmick, and will probably not find that much use, but the dash looks better (more fitting a SUV in this price range) with it there than without, and you get an upgraded Stereo and a CD changer in the back with it. But, honestly, what sold me on this vehicle was the fact that it's about 80 per cent of a Porsche Cayenne (and the other 20 per cent is mostly unnecessary horsepower and the Porsche badging), it feels like it's doing 55 on the freeway when the speedo says 70, and I really like the interior trim levels (lots of real wood and plenty of room for a 6'5" driver).
    I'll post here again after we've had it awhile, but I don't think I could find a V8 SUV in this class for around 40K anywhere else.
    Read the review in Car and Driver January 2003 issue to see how the Touareg fared against the rest of the competition - and there's a review of the Cayenne. From the pictures of the inside of the Porsche, it appears these SUVs have a lot in common.
    Anyway, we're looking forward to the new addition.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I saw my first Touareg this weekend, the vehicle looks very nice and for the looks of it should ride just as nice. My interest in the Treg is mostly for hauling, right now I have an ML430 and it tows my 25ft fishing boat nicely, although in the US the ML is rated for 5000lbs in Europe is rated at 7000lbs, the Treg is rated at 7700lbs that is an indicative that it was built for work, my real interest is in the V10 Diesel, I heard it will be available for next year, I will seat and wait.

Somewhere in the past few topics there was mention of Hondas and Toyotas being powered by VW engines in the 1,8L class, not that sharp but VW developed the original 1,6L engines and the next upgrade, the 1,8L engines. I was trying to find the article about Toyota and VW having an exchange, VW by exchanging diesel technology in return Toyota I cant remember what, VW is the worlds largest diesel manufacturer in the world also a leader in the field., they also supply Volvo and Mercedes and BMW.

I came across the following fact site, interesting quick and short reading, the Wolfburg plant occupies 4.800 acres under roof, the largest under one roof factory in the world. Another fact the Zalsgitter plant makes 320 different engine versions, amazing!

http://www.vwrijders.nl/History/history.html