Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Kia Forte EX Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Kia

Comments

• Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Kia/Hyundai's suspension design and tuning is still a ways off many other manufacturers- Ford, Mazda, Honda are able to make it work in their compact cars. I remember driving the Veloster and being sorely disappointed, it fell to pieces when you're driving hard over rough sections of road. Clearly the design focus of these cars is in things that most mainstream consumers care about- interior, exterior, features... but it honestly doesn't cost much more to improve the chassis and suspension...
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    I happen to like torsion beam rear suspension a lot, mainly for its simplicity and solidity. A little hop on bumpy roads is sort of entertaining.
  • Options
    yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Torsion beam for my mom because of durability, independent for better feel and control.
  • Options
    cotakcotak Member Posts: 89
    The old torsion beam rear hip wiggle. It's just the nature of it. It's more feel then real issue. The Cobalt SS has the same suspension type and it clung onto corners like a cat with claws.
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Loved my '97 Maxima with the torsion beam suspension, which had a rather refined and sporty ride despite that. And, yes, the rear hip wiggle was there, but in a finely tuned package minor flaws are part of the charm, right?
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Nice commentary on the appalling state of many roads in the US. I wonder what advantage the twist beam has over a simple dead axle located by EQUAL length trailing arms? Oh, and if the Edmunds guys don't like the rear end on this car, God forbid they ever drive an E30 3-series with its semi-trailing arms. Put on tyres it does not like and be forced to brake at the wrong time and you will really know what funky rear ends are all about. You may guess how I know. :)
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    duck87 is right. Ford's torsion beam on the new Fiesta ST has none of this kind of crap going on. Hyundai/Kia still have a ways to go to nail suspension design and tuning.