Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 22,839
    but that's stretching pletko's quote big time.

he merely said a 3-5 year old porsche.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• texasestexases Posts: 7,958
    the all important S

I imagine that a non-S Boxster would a great ride on a back road this time of year. Why worry that it's not the most powerful one around? Miata's are great fun, as was my GTI with all of 90HP! I'd much rather exercise 80% of my HP than 50%.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=219625536

With a 5 year old 911 going for around $35K(if you shop around and avoid dealers), a 4-5 year old Cayman will be easily in the mid 20s.

If you really WANT a Porsche, my point was that for the price of a loaded Accord or a basic entry-level sports sedan, you can absolutely own a Porsche. Not brand new, but to 99% of people a 3-5 year old, mint condition Porsche feels like a brand new car to them. ;)
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    he merely said a 3-5 year old porsche

Pletko also said "with a back seat", implying he meant a 911. Move up to a 3-5 year old 911 and you can probably jump the starting price to $45,000. Just a bit more than an Accord.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,163
    ". . . .a non-S Boxster would a great ride on a back road this time of year. Why worry that it's not the most powerful one around? Miata's are great fun. . . ."

A person after my own heart.

I appreciate excellent handling, even if it's not paired with top-of-the-line power. I think I've heard it called finesse, but what do I know?

That's probably why a 328 RWD estate/avant/whatever is probably in my future.

Oh, and I've owned two Miatas & my #3 son autocrosses one now. It's possible to have fun in a car without 300 hp.

It's not the meat, it's the motion.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Oh, and I've owned two Miatas & my #3 son autocrosses one now. It's possible to have fun in a car without 300 hp.

It's not the meat, it's the motion.

Amen. I enjoy driving my 172 HP Cooper S far more than my now departed e90. And my mom's Miata is far more fun to drive than either car.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,626
    But 300 HP doesn't ruin anything, either, don't you think? ;)

Regards,
    OW
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    It's all relative...

Remember just 5 years ago when 200 hp was the magic number in this segment? Remember when 0-60 in 6 seconds was fast?

Well it is fast, and when coupled with tight body control, quick steering, and "not-too-excessive" grip, it's damn entertaining.

You could give the E90 500 HP - all you'd have is a faster pig.
    I guess the new M3 will be a fast porker out of the gate.

Oh, well, some of us will just have to have a lower level of entertainment. :cry:

Regards,
    OW
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    all you'd have is a faster pig

I'll take the pig that runs faster than a slow jaguar...

:P
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 72,943
    I'd say it's more like a Flying pig... :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I'll call a 3600 lb car a sport sedan when pigs fly...
    Well, I guess that's it then...

It's a sport sedan :cry:
    I KNEW you could take a joke!! :)

The thing is, I was shocked at the size of the E90 as I am used to US pork bellies. This thing is still tiny in my experience. But it is perplexing at the weight which is the bane of ALL performance, straight-line or weight distribution while cornering.

When I look at the E46, it really is a personal sedan. Real personal!

But I would assume that the quest for fuel economy and the desire for performance will drive the weight down using new tech.

Look at the air transport manufacturers...they know how to reduce weight. Since the history of BMW and SAAB are linked to aviation history, why can't we get a good non-pork edition of a sedan you can fit your family in without a shoe horn?? Think high-strength and light-weight and damn the accountants!

Regards,
    OW
    "Look at the air transport manufacturers...they know how to reduce weight."

In the air transport industry, low weight means higher speeds and lower fuel consumption, which equals higher profits for the airlines.

Low weight sells airplanes, but not cars.

"why can't we get a good non-pork edition of a sedan you can fit your family in without a shoe horn??"

You can - it's called the E30. ;)

Wonderful kids! Nice ride (and home), too! You've got it all covered. BTW, if I ever did get into your back seat, I do not think I could get out without your help!

Heck, if one of your kids drive alone, that's even less weight around the course! I'm sure they are eager to try one day.

Why did BMW keep adding on the tonnage?

Regards,
    OW
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 11,697
    The tonnage was added from the E30 to the E36 to accomodate an ever so slightly larger car. The chassis gets a little longer & wider (adds weight), The suspension components are beefed up to accomodate the new chassis plus new safety equipment (more weight), and a more powerful engine is plunked into the bay to "compensate" the excess weight.

People complained the E36 was too small, so BMW made the car a little bigger when the E46 rolled around. Same weight adding process happens.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 22,839
    he said "technically with a back seat."

I could take that in a number of ways. my dog sits on the parcel shelf in my alfa. so ain't that "technically" a seat? she'd say so.

;b

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 9,663
    And I have extreme fun driving around a 200HP Audi A3, but if your going to spend 30K or so on a 4 year old or so vehicle, or 70K on a new one, I think you might as well hope your getting something significantly more in the HP department; something like 300HP or more.
    Toy '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD, Commuter '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6 Turbo FWD, Wife's '17 VW Golf All-Track SE 4-Motion AWD