Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,938
    $37k? ouch! It is still a Focus, after all.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,190
    qbrozen said:

$37k? ouch! It is still a Focus, after all.

I'd pay $37k, but not what the dealers will ask. 345 hp, torque vectoring, Drift Mode- certainly some of the most fun you can have under $5k- never mind $37k. I'd consider one if I didn't want a truly fast RWD track toy.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

I don't think I could do it. Once a car breaks that $30k barrier, I can no longer justify an econobox, no matter how capable. A Charger RT is cheaper, and a Scat Pack is only marginally more.

I guess they are going right after the STi. But I do have the same bias against that vehicle, personally.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863
    Golf R is $38K but it's still a Golf.

As you said, it's still a compact car. I won't call them econoboxes because that is reserved for Fiestas and Elantras IMHO.
    I class them as subcompact econoboxes and compact econoboxes. :)

edited October 2015
    Whatever I get it will be something that I can actually say is fast with a straight face- a 0-100 in around ten seconds or less qualifies. My new sled also has to have fairly decent track capability- if it can lap VIR in 3:05 seconds or so it merits consideration.
    As you can see, I'm narrowing down list of finalists. Considerably. B)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• flightnurseflightnurse Valley of HellPosts: 2,178
    qbrozen said:

I don't think I could do it. Once a car breaks that $30k barrier, I can no longer justify an econobox, no matter how capable. A Charger RT is cheaper, and a Scat Pack is only marginally more.

I guess they are going right after the STi. But I do have the same bias against that vehicle, personally.

For the price nothing will be as fast, one of the better bang for the bucks cars out there.
    I'll be curious to see how it does vs the Mustang. The weight advantage and AWD would indicate it should be better in the twisties. Ford's 0-60 estimate is 4.7 secs, mustang is 4.5, and scat pack is 4.4. Top speed of the Focus and Stang are both 164 vs the Scat Pack's 176. Honestly, the Focus is going to have to dominate on the track, IMHO, to overcome its small cheap car roots for that pricetag.

Hey Graphic one of your computers has a virus, just got a spam e-mail from you on your Yahoo account...
  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,492

Hey Graphic one of your computers has a virus, just got a spam e-mail from you on your Yahoo account...

Really? Hmmmmm......did it come from graphicguy?
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,903
    qbrozen said:

I'll be curious to see how it does vs the Mustang. The weight advantage and AWD would indicate it should be better in the twisties. Ford's 0-60 estimate is 4.7 secs, mustang is 4.5, and scat pack is 4.4. Top speed of the Focus and Stang are both 164 vs the Scat Pack's 176. Honestly, the Focus is going to have to dominate on the track, IMHO, to overcome its small cheap car roots for that pricetag.

I'd consider the Charger an econobox, just a larger one.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
    edited October 2015
    it came from [email protected] It had my email address, so I can only assume it is a virus, and the e-mail account is a fake. Here is the URL they want to click on..

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 5,495
    edited October 2015
    This is probably not a virus. The spammers scan for names on the internet (facebook, et. al) and then fake those names into those phoney return emails. I have received several emails from my "sister" - essentially correct first and last name, fake return email and link in English with something like "this is cool". Well, she doesn't speak English and even if she did, she wouldn't send me an email in English.

Remove that link, Nurse, as quickly as you can. Nothing good can come from clicking on it.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 3,024
    "I'd consider the Charger an econobox, just a larger one. "
    As a driver of a current model Charger - what part do you consider to be 'econo' ?
    - Ray
    Just curious...
    2016 BMW 340i
    rayainsw said:

"I'd consider the Charger an econobox, just a larger one. "
    As a driver of a current model Charger - what part do you consider to be 'econo' ?
    - Ray
    Just curious...

Be gentle; he was sexually abused by a Neon decades ago, but the memories are still painful.

dino001 said:

This is probably not a virus. The spammers scan for names on the internet (facebook, et. al) and then fake those names into those phoney return emails. I have received several emails from my "sister" - essentially correct first and last name, fake return email and link in English with something like "this is cool". Well, she doesn't speak English and even if she did, she wouldn't send me an email in English.

Remove that link, Nurse, as quickly as you can. Nothing good can come from clicking on it.

Well not too sure how the spammer got my e-mail address....

If you have an e-mail address, a spammer has it.
    robr2 said:

If you have an e-mail address, a spammer has it.
    LOL through tears. Unfortunately, true. Spammers either scan for the addresses, or use aggregator programs that compound email addresses. I have a rare name and don't get as many spam email, as say Joe Smith would get. For several years I was getting almost nothing, but the spammers finally cracked the code of my email address. I think it's probably due to proliferation and some public domain databases, like e.g. my professional license data, or similar.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    dino001 said:

Either that.... or, they got hold of his address book, once before.. And, even after his account has been secured, they keep spamming out emails to those addresses. Happened to me.. :(

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,307
    $37k focus - as mentioned the golf r similar car - the subi sti ain't cheap and if you ever been in / driven one it's amazing track car but it's not a sudo lux csr. . Ford bringing this over is cool - prob won't sell many but it's great to see they are making the effort to excite.
    For that money I would go golf r - or better yet GTI with a cool 15k? To invest . Ha
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Not sure I'd pay $37K+ for a car that sounds like a can of gnats.

I wonder if this car would actually serve as a daily driver or if it's too tweaked?

Now for something completely different, Ford Focus RS, new HP figured have been released, 350hp and 350 lbs of torque. Starting price $37K, but knowing Ford Dealers they will be asking for 10 over MSRP.. Now, I found a video of what it sounds like, I wonder if this is what the US bound RS sounds like. blog.caranddriver.com/watch-the-ford-focus-rs-oversteer-like-mad-hear-it-snarl-like-a-beast-video/

Not sure I'd pay $37K+ for a car that sounds like a can of gnats.

I wonder if this car would actually serve as a daily driver or if it's too tweaked?

It will be similar to daily driving a Hellcat, GT350R, ZL1, R32, STi et al. The difference is the Focus and the latter two shows what can be done with less than 3 liters of turbocharged fury.

I don't think I could have lived with an STi or EVO as a daily driver, so maybe this car has to be categorized as a wonderful toy to own in addition to something else. I suppose by year 2000 standards it might qualify as somewhat "luxury" but I doubt it would meet today's competition in that area.

My kind of car, though. Small but Fierce, that's my motto.

I don't think I could have lived with an STi or EVO as a daily driver, so maybe this car has to be categorized as a wonderful toy to own in addition to something else. I suppose by year 2000 standards it might qualify as somewhat "luxury" but I doubt it would meet today's competition in that area.

My kind of car, though. Small but Fierce, that's my motto.

I had 2008 STI, it was quite easy to live with and had enough amenities, as long as your lifestyle didn't "require" E-class level. I commuted with it for three years - a bit noisy, but generally easy to drive, steer, not too harsh (for me) on the back. As long as you understood what you had, it was fine. I traded for my current 328i, because that's what I wanted - a finer, nicer automobile, with some more "stuff", even if (quite a bit) slower.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,492

it came from [email protected] It had my email address, so I can only assume it is a virus, and the e-mail account is a fake. Here is the URL they want to click on..

Not me FN. Not sure what to do. Not my email address, and no one else has reported anything to me.

I think you know my email address, so it could be coincidental that it "looks" like it might have come from me.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
    Well BMW just released the info on the all new M2.. 370hp 369lbs of torque.. Just waiting for the price. Now if only BMW would build a M4GC... bimmerfest.com/news/875697/the-allnew-2016-bmw-m2/
    I hope that the timing chain in Munich's B58 motor lasts as least as long as the clutch- it's located at the rear of the block...

I'd love to listen to some German engineer explain that one....unless of course it's like what Saab did---put the entire motor in backwards.
  • sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,307
    Love how this thread has gotten better as flight now reads the"rags" for the new reads- nice, keep it up - love the m2 really cool - rare muscle thats almost as quick around some German track I'll never drive as an m3/4 but let's hope the price starts in mide 50's not 60.

The 37k Ford Focus - now in taking 24 hrs to think about is not crazy if it's well equipped and can be driven like a golf r /Audi s3 in city non track mode. Talking awd massive power from a 4- seems like it could be a good 2/3 year teaser ford car that would be a hit, maybe not a money making car for big blue but something to build on. I know the festa st has a cult following maybe they can build on it with this.

Deal of the week/ or weak??
    http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/daily-news-deal-week-2015-cadillac-cts-article-1.2397209
    A bit cruel, that article...it implies that the general public views the Cadillac CTS on the same status level as the Hyundai Genesis. I think the author is correct, but it's a bitter pill for GM I'm sure.

Somehow Cadillac has to instill the prestige that the aging Escalade has with the SUV crowd back into the CTS.