Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

1714715716717718720»

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,716
    Used them all the time in my 135, CTS, and Stelvio. Almost never in my 330. Just the type
    of driving I do now I guess. I’m more about fuel economy lately. 

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,814
    If' I had paddle shifters that didn't shift immediately, I'd throw the car off a cliff. Thankfully, I don't buy CVT paddle-shifted cars.

Audi mastered the dual clutch as of 2006.... with the '06 A3. 106,000 miles on that puppy before I sold it, and the next owner took it to over 150K miles.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '17 VW Golf Alltrack SE 4-Motion 1.8T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
    stickguy said:

They are faster than a human can operate a clutch---no argument from me there!

The point is--are you driving or are you steering?

might be relevant if you are driving flat out on a track. In normal driving, even the rare spirited back road type, I bet most people (including me) don't push the envelope to that extreme, so the fraction of a second difference is meaningless. But the tactile experience and sense of control isn't. ATs are IMO much more likely to spend time trying to hold a much too high gear, or hunting around for the right one, than they are to be snapping off powershifts at the redline.

They are more relaxing in stop and go traffic though. Not that lightning quick gear changes matter much in that use!
    Lighting quick gear changes probably help contribute to the superior fuel economy though.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '17 VW Golf Alltrack SE 4-Motion 1.8T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 2,558
    andres3 said:

If' I had paddle shifters that didn't shift immediately, I'd throw the car off a cliff. Thankfully, I don't buy CVT paddle-shifted cars.

Audi mastered the dual clutch as of 2006.... with the '06 A3. 106,000 miles on that puppy before I sold it, and the next owner took it to over 150K miles.

Anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. And even if none of them blew up, that still wouldn't mean they had "mastered the dual clutch". If the driving experience was not what most of the owners wanted or expected, then you couldn't really say "mastered".
    2018 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
    henryn said:

andres3 said:

Anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. And even if none of them blew up, that still wouldn't mean they had "mastered the dual clutch". If the driving experience was not what most of the owners wanted or expected, then you couldn't really say "mastered".
    Well, I think the "satisfaction" rating for A3 owners was VERY high. Also, there's a lot of high-mile A3's running around, so they must have done something right.

I would say reviews were "mixed" on the DSG, but a well-trained and calibrated DSG worked wonders in my opinion. Yes, the transmissions were trainable,and had a "learning" computer "brain." It's important to note they work like a manual, not like an automatic. I personally like the mechanical feel, whereas some people call it a "lurch" upon stopping.