Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ferrari-the Ultimate classic (Ferrari Lovefest Topic)

Comments

• tsaupe1tsaupe1 Posts: 166
    Just got home from taking my wife to dinner. Time to wipe down the car before covering it. I'll wash it tomorrow. Andy, it was such a pleasure to meet you today and the enjoyment of the ride was all mine. Hopefully next time we'll find a road less travelled and better paved. I can still rmember my first ride, a Daytona Coupe around Limerock, wow, I was seriously hooked! BTW, here is the website I mentioned: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/, I think you'll enjoy it.

Jrosasmc, you missed some great cars, among the Ferraris was a lovely 330 GTC, A coupe of TRs, including a 512, A 550 and a gorgeous 360 Spider. A couple of Alfa Guilllettas, a Montreal and a couple of GTVs. One each Fiat 124 Spyder and Lamborghini Diablo VT drop top. About 35 cars in all.

All that coupled with the beautiful weather and finally meeting Andys120, made for a great day. Next stop, the Ferrari weekend at Limerock, July 9-10.

Tom
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,711
    Were there any Alfas with VT plates on them? If so, my former English teacher from middle school may have been there with his '93 Alfa Spider.
    Didn't really pay a lot of attention to the plates. I did notice that the Alfa Montreal had Vermont plates on it. Didn't get a chance to talk to the driver so can't tell you much about him.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 18,735
    I didn't notice any VT plates but that's not to say there weren't any. The Alfas were almost outnumbered by the relatively high turnout of Ferraris.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I enjoyed the F1 action too. I just hate we don't have Speed here so I have to go to a friend's house to watch. His wife is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]!

M
    Hope everyone had a chance to see the French GP this AM. If not, try your best to catch the replay. It was a great race that come down to the wire. There just isn't anyone better than Schumacher. Say what you, we're watching a legend in his prime, and Rubens "ain't too shabby, either."
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 57,842
    Got behind a 355 Spider yesterday on the freeway entrance ramp. These cars are so amazing. It looked like a coiled spring just sitting there waiting to explode...and it did, too...just sprang to life and basically disappeared from view. You don't get that sensation with most other cars, no matter how fast they are. They are so "edgey" you can almost feel an electric current spilling out of them.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

Well the Ferrari 612 Scagletti just beat the Mercedes CL600, Aston-Martin DB9 and Bentley Continental GT, in that order. Great comparo. August issue of Car and Driver.

M
    Just been reading about after-warranty repair bills for an Enzo....says here a full brake job with new rotors costs $40,000. However a new clutch, which I'm sure I'll need, is only $6,000.

Not as bad as a McLaren F1, however. The clutch is $12,000, a new starter motor is $12,000, and an overhaul for the transaxle is $100,000.

Of course, if you are spending a million to get one of these cars, that's not so bad, relatively speaking.

So much for the idea of ceramics making our lives less expensive.
    I was at Lime Rock today for Ferrari Racing Days and finally saw a 612 up close. It's beautiful! Pininfarina hit it dead on. It's a bit larger than a 456. Parked beside a 360 Spider it looked quite big, but much less so beside a 575. Those sides, which look rather flat in photographs, are actually a series of compound curves. The hard edged angle which runs down the top of the fenders carries through the headlight covers ending at with a curve gently defining the nose. Just a series of one luscious curve flowing into another.

There's definitely no dissapointment in this car. The interior is wall to wall Schedoni leather. Couldn't get in the car but the seats looked luxuriously inviting. They appear to have the perfect combination of comfort and support.

The whole of the car is gorgeous and visually exciting. FNA had it on display in Azzurro blue over parchment. In the same tent was a new Quatroporte, another beautiful four seater. Obviously, the four door is much bigger but still retains a certain delicacy. I'd love to own either if them, but most especially the 612. My love affair with +2 Ferraris lingers on!

Tom
    It sounds really exciting.

Details about the 360 Modena's replacement are starting to surface. A few quotes from Auto Express magazine:

"Christened the F430, a name Ferrari trademarked for use across the world in March and April this year, the car will debut a radical new look penned by Pininfarina, under the watchful eye of Ferrari design chief Frank Stephenson. The newcomer is expected to make its public debut early next year at the Detroit Motor Show in January, before going on sale in the summer."

"Based on the same aluminum chassis as the acclaimed F360 Modena, the F430 will be powered by a new 4.3-litre, 500bhp V8 designed to see off competition from the Lamborghini Gallardo and new Porsche 911 Turbo.

"It sports a body that's far more dramatic than the current machine. Sacrificing flowing curves for aggressive lines and angles, the car is fitted with bigger 19-inch alloys, larger, functional air intakes and a new rear diffuser to aid downforce.

"Auto Express's sources have suggested there's even a possibility that the new F430 will get active aerodynamics, including a rear spoiler that lifts at speed - similar to the new 911 Carrera. At the rear, the car's looks are particularly dramatic, with circular rear lights, similar in style to those fitted to the Enzo and 612."

(Dan Strong - Wednesday 14th July 2004 - Auto Express)

Sounds positively scintillating......

M
    Sounds interesting. My wife leaves for Modena tomorrow (unfortunately, I can't go this year)and is planning a Maranello/Fiorano visit. Maybe she'll get some spy shots. We lucked out with the Enzo a couple of years ago, saw the saw the 575 Competition car being tested last year, so who knows? Maybe we'll have an Edmunds exclusive when she returns.
    I was out for a drive this morning and passed what appeared to be a car show. I stopped and discovered it was a Fiero meet. Some of these folks are really innovative. A few engine swaps, like a monster supercharged V8 in a Fiero! Anyway, nice folks who really love their cars. There were no conversions there. Actually I had hoped there would be. I've never seen one close up. However, I was given some good advice on what to do to make my car look more like a real Ferrari! Until I opened the engine cover, that is. LOL
    You mean the fake Ferrari-Fieros? They look pretty bad if you know what a Ferrari is supposed to look like.

Actually I like the last version of the Fiero, the 5-speed. It was an interesting car at least, although not a very good one.

what it is that car enthusiasts saw in the Fiero.

I remember seeing one when they first came out and thinking "Wow, GM's built a mid-engined sports car".

Then I found out it was nothing special as far as performance, let's hope the do better by the Solstice.

Tom, let me guess, did they want you to paint your car red and put prancing horse stickers all over it? LOL!

Sure, fender shields were mentioned. Which, by the way, were never installed by the factory on any 308/328 as they never were meant for competition. They thought the car should be lower! My God, I already have to touch up the chin spoiler almost weekly!

I think many of them had tongues planted firmly in their cheeks, but several owners really did assume it was a kit. As soon as I realized it was all Fieros, I expected that response and joined in the humor.

It's amazing (and disheartening) that "is it a kit?" is the first question from 80% of people who first see the car. I'm usually very polite and explanatory, saying "no, it's the real thing." I think I sometimes forget that most people rarely see them "in the flesh" and assume that it's much more likely to be a fake.

Anyway, i dropped by a cruise event today. Figured "what the heck" and put the car in for judging. As these things are generally all Hot Rods (which I love) and muscle cars, I'm always odd-man-out. Well, today the car won a trophy! I'm not exactly sure what for, probably for being the only foreign car, but I'll take it. Now I need a good story to tell my wife when she returns from Italy. It needs to involve tough competition and a Miss Something-Or-Other, who presented the award and hit on me. Naaahhhh. she would never believe that!
    I don't mind people building Fiero kits or whatever gives them pleasure, but when they put a Ferrari badge on it, I have to give them some flak about it. It's simply not right to do that.

Amen. For a while Ferrari was really cracking down on the builders of these kits but apparently they've eased off. I suppose it's the same old story that for everyone you shut down, another (or the same under a different name) springs up. The other unpleasant effect is that the kit car owners have driven up the prices, and made quantities scarce of certain badges for the 3X8 series.
    Well Porsche is not so bashful about cracking down. You put a Porsche badge on a kit car you are selling for commercial purposes and they'll track you down to Manchuria if they have to. BMW and Benz are pretty strict, too. I've heard of repair shops and collectible car consignors being busted for hanging the factory logo on their premises.

Relive the glory days of Porsche versus Ferrari as Speed Channel follows the adventures of Mario Andretti, Vic Elford and others in the 1972
    World Makes Championship:

<The Speed Merchants airs @ 8pm Wednesday, be there or be...well, not much of a tifosi.

Saw the film last year when Speed ran it. It's well worth watching.If I remember correctly, Andretti was driving the 312 P that season. One of the very best!
    That's right, Tom. My Sebring poster shows Andretti as the co-winner of the 12 hour in '72 driving a 312P Spider. I saw Elford win the year before with Larousse in the mighty Porsche 917K.

I got to see Andretti and McLaren drive the GT-40/Mk.IV to victory my first trip to Sebring in '67.

Hey guys what is the official F1 site?

M
    www.formula1.com/

There are a number of good F1 sites on the web, but this is Bernie's official site.
    " be there or be...well, not much of a tifosi"

I watched again, because I'm a true Tifosi. I had forgotten that Ferrari skipped Le Mans that year. But I was surprised to see what appeared to be a 312 in private hands at Le Sarthe. I had read that these cars were supposed to be factory only. Enzo didn't think the privateers could handle them. I guess I'll have to do a little more reading.

How quickly we forget just how dangerous motor racing used to be. Seeing Jo Bonnier and Ronnie Peterson reminded me of the last time I looked through Jesse Alexander's marvelous photo book "At Speed." A vast majority of the drivers pictured were lost in accidents.

And the circuits! We've grown used to run off and foam backed walls. tire barriers and catch fences. Sebring with dirt piled outside the corners to catch the cars was a grim reminder. Thank you Sir Jackie Stewart for making those changes.

Last question. Did Vic Elford retire that season? I seem to remember that he drove for at least one more? Andy. Shifty, anyone know?
    I guess I'm not that much of a Tifosi. Elford, who came out of rallying really didn't have that long a career. I dunno when it was he retired.

Meanwhile Autoweek highlights new go-fast goodies for the 575 Maranello including Ceramic
    Composite brakes. I wonder what new rotors go for <:^O !

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_cod- e=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=04121385

Looks like Ferrari won the Car & Driver V-12 GT car contest this month!

Just read the article. can't say I agree with their summation of the styling of the 612, but I'm willing to admit my prejudices. What amazes me is the apparent QC problems of the Aston and what sounds like bad design/engineering in the Bentley.

I thought their comments about fuel economy a bit silly. Do they really think that will make a difference to anyone who can afford on of these? I care quite a bit in my daily drivers, but when the F car goes out my last concern is mileage.