Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

The thick double-pane side glass on our long-term 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG makes for an extremely quiet cabin, but at a small cost.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    is it the dual pane that is causing the problem or some type of heat rejecting treatment added to the glass that does it? I know some of the clear heat rejecting window films can block radio waves.
  • Options
    diondidiondi Member Posts: 71
    I think zim is right, Mercedes has a different treatment on their windows and that is the cause of the signal issues. This is probably the blue tint of most Mercedes glass compared to other cars' green. Glass is technically radio transparent...
  • Options
    gillygan1_gillygan1_ Member Posts: 4
    Check the manual. In my 2003 S500, there's a "window" of opening in the front windshield for this purposes. In my car, it's the area right underneath the rearview mirror, about 5" by 5" square. The manual has a drawing of it. Give it a try.
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Warning: off-topic. Maybe this is a reflection of how far automakers have come in the last ten years, but other than a ton of features, this interior doesn't strike me as "luxurious". For a better perspective I just watched Donna's interior movie, and I was left with the impression that it's quite cheap. Do you guys feel this way when you're driving it?
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    First world problems.
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @greenpony, Car makers absolutely have come a long way in the last 10 years, but even by modern standard the W215 is a pretty darn nice place to be. The switch gear used in ALL MB's of this vintage was not great so there is definitely room for complaint t
  • Options
    zhangrenhouzhangrenhou Member Posts: 79
    "The same is true with my garage door opener at home. Unless I roll down the window, the garage door stays closed."

Most people would program one of the buttons on the rear view mirror to open their garage door.