Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sienna Owners: Problems & Solutions

2»

Comments

• dmmakoskidmmakoski Member Posts: 72
    My relatively noise free 2002 Sienna today was producing noises from the center dash area today. The noise sounded like Styrofoam rubbing together.

Now what it was -5 degrees this morning and I am sure this caused the noise, but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and what was done if anything.
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    These do not make good combinations, especially when backing up. I hit one the other day and didn't break the flap nor totally rip it off (drivers side rear) but the lower screw pulled out. Seems there are 2 screws; one at the top of the flap and one at the "triangle" of the flap at the bottom of the fender. A plastic fastener mounts from underneath in the horizontal plane and secures the back of the flap to the bumper facia. Can anyone tell me if I can just drive a screw back into the mounting hole? Have I enlarge the hole in the fender when the screw ripped out? Since I don't have the original screw, can you recommend a screw size?

Thanks much.
    I too am experiencing this sound this winter. Mine is an '01 and I didn't hear it last year. This year is significantly colder than last, howerver; maybe that's why. Mine sounds like a creaking noise. It seems to come from the top of the windshield, but that could be the sound reflected from the top of the dash close to the windshield upwards. Styrofoam rubbing is also a good analogy. Please post if you have a solution.
  • dmmakoskidmmakoski Member Posts: 72
    You are right!
    Had my wife drive and I put my ear up near the sun visor passenger side and that's where the creaking is coming from. I have a 15K check up this weekend and will ask about this as now it seems somewhat common.
  • jmjkonjmjkon Member Posts: 17
    Just wondering if anyone here has bought an extended warranty on a Sienna and tried to use it - was it worth it? Seems to me like it would be a good idea to have.

Has anyone bought a warranty over the internet and had it honored at a dealer? Ever been given a hard time about it? I'd love to hear of websites used to buy it, etc. -

Thanks in advance - JK
    My gut instinct is to not buy any extended warranty, especially when buying the presumed high quality Toyota. However, I succumed and bought the ESP warranty from the dealer after he offered to discount it. Being in Canada, I tried to buy it from a US dealer on the web, which would have been a bit cheaper, but it didn't work out. Seems the US plans are different. We only have one level here, with different years and mileage (kilometerage??) limits. I selected the 6 year 160K Km option ( I think). With all the electronics and motors in my XLE, one failure will probably pay for the warranty. Haven't used it yet, though, so am wondering if it's really worth it? Hopefully will add to resale value, if and when we sell/trade.
  • jmjkonjmjkon Member Posts: 17
    Thanks Jasdmw, appreciate the input. I agree that with all the electronic gadgets and new stuff on the minivans even the Toyotas could have something go wrong, and it is more likely to happen after 50,000 miles or so - thus making the standard warranty obsolete.

If anyone else has any Warranty War-stories to share I'd love to hear them - thanks in advance - JK
  • phistrationphistration Member Posts: 4
    Be careful with just topping off the MC. The brake system on cars is closed system meaning if working properly it should not use brake fluid. As the pistons in the calipers move out the fluid level in the MC drops. When you replace the pads the fluid level should return to normal. So what will happen if you add fluid instead of changing the pads is that when you do change the pads you will need to remove some fluid or the MC will overflow.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    I too was resisting to buy this but having experienced a lot of repair on my previous maxima went ahead and paid $1800 incl taxes for a 7yr/120k bumper to bumper warranty just a week before the 3yrs was up. Hopefully nothing will go wrong but if it does....
  • dododede2003dododede2003 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Does anybody has this problem?
    When I make turn at about 10~20 MPH, my body seem to lean to one side. Dealer said it could be due to soft suspensions, small tires and it is a mini-van.
    Anyone has the same driving experience at all?
  • rmui1rmui1 Member Posts: 48
    Good way to see if the leaning is "normal" would be to try another Highlander at the dealer. Be sure to check tire pressures, low presures will cause more feeling of lean when cornering.
  • davedave1davedave1 Member Posts: 45
    I bought the extended warranty on my 2000 Sienna. It was about 2 wks before the 3 yr. expiration. Never bought one on any car before.
      I debated the warranty issue with my wife a bit, but we decided the number of gizmos on this van warranted it. Got the platinum 84mo.75000mi, 0 deductable; best for our driving.
      On other boards some have argued that it's likely that at least the cd player will die in 7 years which will pay for some of it. Anybodys guess.
      For us it figured to be less than $15. per month over the next 4 years; reasonable to me.
      Search on 'warranty' on these boards; there are some that deal with this issue directly. You should be able to buy one directly from any dealer by phone...and prices do vary GREATLY from my experience.
    Good Luck.
  • 6sense6sense Member Posts: 2
    I have 02 xle with 11,000 miles in it. Ive noticed a wobbling noise when i released the gas pedal at the speed of 30mph going down to 25 mph w/out stepping on brake. I brought the van to the dealer they changed the tire but still the wobbling sound is noticeable.Does any of you experienced this?Also,Mechanic,first suspected after the road the bearing but its not.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's join the more active discussion, Toyota Sienna Problems. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.