Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Vibe Maintenance & Repair Concerns

Comments

• Options
    pyropyro Member Posts: 3
    I am getting the 5 speed manual Vibe for economy and would like to know of methods to improve the milage.
  • Options
    cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    I have the same problem with my '05 Matrix. I understand that is this very common. I had heard that there is a redesigned fuel pump that some have had installed but even so then still have the problem. We all need to contact Toyota and get this resolved.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Any "watch our fors" before I do my first oil change on my son's XRS? Will I have to jack up the car to reach the drain plug?
  • Options
    capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    I've done mine by myself twice now. I used a lift at a shop both times. The filter is very easy to get to. The drain plug is easily accessible too.

I would think the skirting would interfere with drying to do the change with the car on the ground.
  • Options
    mo5mo5 Member Posts: 8
    exact same starting problems here..just bought the 05 last week, everybody in my family has toyota's..its funny how mine is the newest and with the most problems...did the previous year models have the same problem as well?
  • Options
    matrix03matrix03 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Matrix since the 1st week they were out on the market. I have had absolutely no problems with it starting.
  • Options
    johjoh Member Posts: 2
    I have 2004 matrix xr.
    When I put the jack under the two notch jack mount (under the car) only inner side of the jack's mount settle firmly to the matrix's floor, but outer side hangs in the air (gap). So when I jack up the matrix, eventually jacks comes off the car. This is very dangerous!! This happened 3 times on front-right side, but not the front-driver side (i haven't tried my back tires yet). I was wondering if anyone jackup their matrix recently using the jack provided by toyota? I don't think the prob. is jack, but the bad jack support on matrix's floor (inner floor where the jack notches is thicker than the outer side floor). How am I supposed change tires when I have flat tires?
  • Options
    higgy151higgy151 Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem. The Service Department changed the fuel pump. It still was doing it and now I have a data recorder in my car. It is a pain because you have to get this button ready to hit every time you start it. The one time it has done it since the recorder was put in I forgot the button.
  • Options
    fixmycarfixmycar Member Posts: 2
    I have had problems starting my 05 Matrix XR since I bought it last summer. I have been taking it in, but since it doesn't happen all the time, they haven't heard it/can't fix it. I have been dealing with customer service, but since a service technician has already come in to check out the car, and found nothing, they are unwilling to contact tech support for me to find out if it may be the fuel pump. So now what do I do? They basically said that they can not and will not help me. They say that they have no record of other Matrix's having this same problem. Anyone else feel like that got a lemon?? :lemon: I'm taking the car back into the dealership next Monday to have them check it out. Any suggestions on what I should have them look for?
  • Options
    fixmycarfixmycar Member Posts: 2
    And does anybody know of any class action lawsuits going on for this starting problem with the Matrix?
  • Options
    warreng21warreng21 Member Posts: 1
    In may of 2004 i bought this 2004 Chevy Malibu LT V6, I knew it was a good buy when i saw it ( i should have known better) about 6 months later, it started having problems starting.. It would crank over and over and over, didnt matter if it was warm or cold! And one time it didnt start for about 2 hours... I took it to Chevy to have them look, well it didnt do it for them! So they said they couldnt help me out, because they couldnt find anything to work with! Now it still does it off and on, but not all the time.. One time i did smell gas, but not much... Anyone know, or have these problems? How can i fix this? I heard it might be beacuse my Battery might be a dud? I hope it will be fixed soon, i am going to take it back in monday and demand they fix it! :mad:
  • Options
    dontshopthewaldontshopthewal Member Posts: 49
    Why don't you post on the Malibu forums. Maybe more people there can relate to your experiences.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
  • Options
    kc04kc04 Member Posts: 2
    so many things u could do to improve the mileage;

1. 1st thing 1st is drive slowly take it easy << won't cost you a thing

2. blasting the ac will also affect the mileage.

3. air intake < this is the easiest n the fastest you can do to help the milage.

4. free flowing exhaust system.

5. E-fan < helps to free up HP.

6. Electric power steering, prolly will cost alots of $$$ to do it.
  • Options
    n1yvpn1yvp Member Posts: 4
    Hi there.

I purchased an 05' Matrix back in February and have had similar starting problems. I just brought the car to the dealership and was told that the problem would not happen there for them and they could do nothing to fix it.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks in advance.
    Chris
    n1yvp@hotmail.com :confuse:
  • Options
    davisgrad530davisgrad530 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2005 Matrix & just took it in for the 5000 mile maintenance. Since I got it back, the engine seems to idle pretty high--around 2000rpm---& sometimes vacillates between 1500 & 2000, as though it were revving. Before the service, it idled steadily around 900. Any idea what could be causing this & should I be concerned?

Thanks
  • Options
    goodvibegoodvibe Member Posts: 1
    The base Vibe is a snap to just crawl underneath and turn the filter or drain plug. If the filter is a bit too tight for you, a filter wrench can be used with limited clearance. I reckon the sport version is similar
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    Sounds like they knocked a vacuum hose off. Check around the engine looking for a small black hose that is not connected or better yet take it back to whoever caused the problem. It's not serious but should be corrected.
  • Options
    axsomaxsom Member Posts: 11
    Sorry for my previous, blank submittal - hit enter instead of tab.

I am considering a Vibe. Downsizing from a full-size SUV for gas mileage purposes. I am concerned about being too small - not for cargo issues but for safety issues.

Once I noticed the "problem starting" issue I have gotten even more concerned. This is the only place that I have read anything about this problem. I am curious how many people are having this problem. Is this an intermittent thing or pretty consistent? What are the dealers saying?

I am looking for just the right thing for someone to say that pushes me over the edge on my decision to buy this vehicle. Don't know what it is, but I assume I will know it when I read it.
    Thanks!!!
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I am also considering a Vibe and have looked at the smaller car/safety issue. The Vibe has done very well in government crash tests. In fact, if you look at the rollover factor of almost all larger SUVs you are probably safer in a Vibe.
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I do not think the "Starting" problem is anything to worry about. I have only seen it here. Considering the number of Toyota Corollas (Vibe & Matrix have Corolla mechanicals) sold, you would be hearing it a lot. Also, if there really was a problem, it would be fixed. Go for it - you cannot beat a Corolla/Matrix/Vibe.
  • Options
    nichul37nichul37 Member Posts: 10
    I bought my '05 Vibe 6 months ago and have had all sorts of starting problems. As someone else mentioned in an earlier post, the car seems to start fine when cold, but after it's warmed up, the trouble begins. There are times when I am sure it won't start at all. While it does not do it every day, I have had this problem from the start. When I took it in for it's 3000 mile check, I mentioned this to the dealer, but since it didn't happen for them, they said nothing was wrong. I have since been back many times (I have 20,000 miles on it already!!) and still nothing. It makes me feel better to read that there are other people with this same issue, but not so happy that my car takes so long to get started at times.

I recommend this car to anyone looking to get a reliable vehicle that will carry anything and everything you throw in it and still get decent gas mileage! Good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    drejdrej Member Posts: 119
    Hi, I'm thinking of a 05' Vibe FWD, and wonder if anyone knows of the DIY Diagnostics possible? such as OBD II?
    Can you plug into these if you have the tools, software?.... beats a trip to the dealers once it'sout of warranty. (3/30K) Thanks D~
  • Options
    jay_michiganjay_michigan Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone noticed a rattle somewhere on the dash of their vibe? Im just curious if thats normal, or should I take it back to the dealer. First time buying a smaller car, and for the most part I think it's been pretty great, but recently drove with the radio off, and am noticing a rattling. For the most part I drive with the radio on, but Im just curious. Would appreciate any feedback. BTW.. 2005 vibe.
  • Options
    sandhog2sandhog2 Member Posts: 22
    has anyone had trouble with rear axle seals on awd vibe
  • Options
    dontidonti Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Matrix has the same starting problem everyone is talking about. Please let us know if the data recorder finds the problem. My dealer hasn't been helpful.
  • Options
    capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    I thought OBD II was required by law. My Civic has it and I used Autozone's offer of free diagnostics when I got a check engine light. It was an O2 sensor.

I haven't had to do anything with my Matrix yet so I haven't checked to see how accessible the OBD II is.
  • Options
    bobsk8bobsk8 Member Posts: 3
    I am new to this forum and am purchasing a new Matrix this coming weekend. In searching around the Internet for comments about this car, I read today that someone posted a solution to the starting problem. He stated that the fuel pump had been upgraded and that Toyota knew about the problem. They replaced his and that was the end of the problem, according to him.

Bob
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Every car and light truck sold in the U.S. and Canada since 1996 is OBD II compliant. The connector must be within 3' of the steering column, accessable without tools from the driver's seat. A variety of code readers and scan tools can be used to retrieve stored diagnostic trouble codes. Make sure the reader/scanner is CAN (controller area network) protocol compatible. Here are some options:

http://tools.batauto.com/index.php?crn=205&action=show&show_products_mode=cat_click
  • Options
    grim1grim1 Member Posts: 5
    Has anybody had the problem with the small compartment under the shifter popping open. I had the problem and picked up something from ebay and it works beautifully so far. Its a little felt cut out that raises the compartment slightly and keeps it closed.
  • Options
    roscoe1roscoe1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Matrix XR that was made right before the 05's showed up at the dealers. I too have this intermittent start problem. The car starts fine when it is cold or started up shortly after being shut off, but if it sits for about a hour it will intermittently not want to start. It has happened to me about eight times in a year of ownership. It could occur more often, but generally when I park the car it is parked for several hours. It is so embarrassing too have a practically new car not start. I have found that if it doesn't start the first time I crank it. I turn it off, wait a few seconds and try again and it starts, but sputters a bit like it was flooding. It hasn't stranded me yet, but that is not the point. I have a hard time believing Toyota doesn't know about this. Oh, I also own a 2003 Corolla, and NEVER have had any problems with it starting.
  • Options
    vero1vero1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi;

I just got my new Matrix xr 4wd on the 12th of april and I love it. The only thing is that I hear a toc in the front left wheel when I'm driving slowly and I hit a bump or when I'm at an intersection and I start moving. They checked everything at the dealership and one of the 3 bolts on my shocks was not at the proper tighness. The thing is that I still hear that "toc". I'll be going back to the dealership next week but; does anyone have an idea of what it could be? Could it be normal that a new car adjust itself in the first little while (it's my first new car)and some noises are heard?

Looking foward for any comments
    :)
    Thanks
    Véronique
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    a "toc"? Do you mean a single click, or a metal on metal sound? Does it happen once, or is it repetitive as you continue to move forward?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    one single "click". You know when a ball joint stats to be loose (just in the beginning)....that kind of click. Defintily not a metal on metal sound.
  • Options
    thor9thor9 Member Posts: 26
    :mad: Oh yeah.

2003 AWD Vibe.

Right rear seal replaced at 39K miles, left rear seal replaced at 49K miles, car is currently sitting at dealer for SECOND replacement of right rear seal with 61K miles!

Dealer said once the 36K warranty was up, too bad, too sad.

I have not seen ANYONE else post on other forums about this problem with the AWD models.
  • Options
    suburbanite1suburbanite1 Member Posts: 3
    Did you buy the Matrix or hear any more of this problem? looking at buying one soon. Thank you.
  • Options
    suburbanite1suburbanite1 Member Posts: 3
    What did the dealer say about the problem? Thanks
  • Options
    :sick:

Got an explanation on the noise; comes from a weld in the door (driver side). They're going to send my car to a coachbuilder to redo that welding. Anyone ever had that kind of issue on a brand new car? I'm worried in case of an accident (sideways).
    Veronique
  • Options
    cpc13cpc13 Member Posts: 1
    It'll be interesting if the data recorder finally reveals what going on.

My girl friend recently got a 2005 Matrix and she's started to experience starting problems. It's like the other posts here, it's very unpredictable. She's asked the dealership to take a good look at it, but since she's leasing the car they're asking her to give permission for them to put up to and possibly over 100 miles on it. She's absolutely fuming over this. After contacting her lawyer she was told she could sue Toyota if they refuse to fix or give her a new car.
  • Options
    mo5mo5 Member Posts: 8
    :mad: Yea...tell this to whoever that said the starting problem is not serious. If a brand new car is doing this..imagine it couple of years down the road....it is really a shame that toyota does not aknowledge this. Also, there is a fairly large gap between the driver's side headlight and the front bumper, and guess what I am told by the dealer..."oh, its just a machine made by an imperfect man..we can't do anything about it"...yea....what a warranty..what a service..go toyota.
  • Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    We had body work done on the front passenger side of our 2003 Matrix after my daughter hit the side of the grarage. When we picked up the car at the specified time, I noticed wider gaps in a couple of spots that weren't nearly as big on the driver's side. The body shop manager (CarStar) looked at it and said it was a minor adjustment that would take just a few minutes. A few minutes later he came back and said it was more complicated than he thought, so he asked to keep the car an extra day and offered a free rental car to my wife for the inconvenience. Next day we picked up the car and everything looked fine. If the gap really is bigger than on other Matrixes, the problem definitely is correctable as long as the dealer is willing to pursue it. Even if your dealer doesn't have its own body shop, they must have an agreement with an independent shop to fix dings and scratches that sometimes occur when new vehicles are en route to the dealer.
  • Options
    n1yvpn1yvp Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone.

I bought my 2005 Matrix back in February. Since the second day of owning the vechicle I was having the same starting problems as everyone has mentioned.

After doing countless hours of research on this forums as well as others on the net I found a possible solution.

I printed off the number of complaints from these forums and a copy of the solution and brought it to the local Toyota Dealership. The mechanic mentioned my car was the 2nd Matrix within a week to have the same problem and that he'd look further into it. After calling Toyota he found that the Fuel Pump assembly was indeed redesigned for the 2005 Matrix. He promised to order the part and let me know when it arrived.

Within a week the part was available to be installed. The whole process took half a day. Since this change my car hasn't had a single starting problem. It starts between 2-3 clicks EVERY TIME.

If you're experiencing this problem please print this post as well as others found all of the net and bring it to your local dealership.

I hope this helps.

Chris
  • Options
    chuck1chchuck1ch Member Posts: 15
    Did the 30K maintenance recently on an 03 Vibe. Let the local shop do the lube, oil, filter change for $25, tire rotation for free, flushed out the coolant myself for $9 (I recycled the used coolant), changed my own air filter for $6 and cabin filter for $15. This met all the 30K requirement for $55.

When I went looking on the Internet for a cabin filter, the dealer wanted $40 for one, the least expensive I found is at (and it works fine):

http://www.businessvision.net/edge/Main.asp?D=%7BCD8D06FD%2D7D35%2D4332%2DA9B1%2DCB27EC196- 404%7D&PageType=Product&SKU=9924TC

If you buy more than one you can the spread the shipping cost over two or more filters. Also ensure if in the US, that you convert to US dollars when you go thru checkout. This is a Canadian supplier.
  • Options
    johjoh Member Posts: 2
    this was happening on first day... dealer fixed it under warranty... it seems that it was a known or common problem.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    good work chuck. that was well worth your time. I do recommend however, that people use simple one inch thick furnace filters from their favorite home improvement store. For $10, you get three large micro-filters which can be cut down to size and slipped into the compartment. Since all the cabin air filters get dirty real fast, it is a cost saving measure. I replace mine in the Vibe every 4 months or so.
  • Options
    benignvanillabenignvanilla Member Posts: 1
    I've got an '05 Matrix that has been in 3 times for a leaking sunroof. The dealer first said they couldn't find a leak. Next time they found it, but said it was normal. The third time, they replaced the entire sunroof.

My leak has slowed, but it's still leaking, and now they are back to saying this is normal. I asked for some documentation from the manufacturer that says this is normal, but they said there was no such documentation.

This is very frustrating. :cry:
  • Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    This reminds me of the time I took our '89 Nissan to the dealer because it had started leaking something on the garage floor. The dealer's response: "Leaks are normal. I can take you into the show room right now and show you leaks from brand new cars." It turns out it was leaking both transaxle fluid and power steering fluid, the former being fixed by replacing a faulty neutral safety switch and the latter being fixed by tightening a loose screw.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Didn't get any responses on the Matrix board about replacement 16" tires for an 03 XRS. The Goodyear RS-As are almost gone at 32K miles. Tirerack best sellers range from $111 to $62 (Kumho). Anyone purchased replacement tires yet? I need decent snow capability and would like better than 32,000 mile wear.
  • Options
    nursingshirtsnursingshirts Member Posts: 2
    i just came from the shop and was told that i need a cabin air filter replaced. wanted to charge me $25 for new one. i like your idea, but dont know how to replace myself. is it easy to access or a lot of time and tools involved?
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    it is easy:

1. lower your glove compartment (man, is that a 1920's term or what??)
    2. squeeze the left side inward to allow the glove box to drop out of the way
    3. the door is now right in front of you. There are two plastic snaps. PUSH DOWN on the snaps to release the door. DO NOT lift up on the snaps since they are fragile and will snap off.
    4. pull out your old cabin filter, and slide in a new one.
    5. put your glove box back into place. Don't worry, this might take a bit of fidgeting, but you'll get it back on. That part you can't break.

Buy the 3 pack high performance dirt demon (or whatever brand) furnace filter, which captures 90% of all particulates. The furnace filter will measure 20 x 20 x 1 inch. Cut an 8 x 8 inch piece to slide in. Ordinary scissors will cut through the wire mesh supporting the filter.

Thanks for the reminder. I just went out and pulled my old one out. WOW was it filthy. I cannot imaging paying $25 for a $2 solution. I don't know how often GM recommends replacing the filter, but I do mine every 10,000 miles. Yep, it gets that dirty, that fast.
This discussion has been closed.