Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 58,461
    edited October 2013
    Rare car--only 1,918 fuelies made.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• fintailfintail Posts: 42,920
    On the road in downtown Bellevue - 63 (.5 for those who go that way) Galaxie fastback, unrestored, looked decent. And an 80s Toyota 4x4 diesel - might have been a conversion as I only recall 2WD diesel trucks sold in the US.
  • texasestexases Posts: 7,897
    ...a 1960ish Austin London cab drove by Saturday morning. A diesel, by the smell. Must be a handful in all of Texas, I'd think.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 12,029
    Land Rover 2 door towing a trailer loaded with a John Deere lawn tractor.
    The tractor looked new, but LR did not.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,043
    I've always wondered...are there any statistics on how many '57 Chevies had fuel injection?
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 9,849
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are more '57 Chevys out there now with F.I. than were built by Chevy. ;)
  • berriberri Posts: 7,961
    Now show me a 63 Galaxie 500 XL convertible and I'll get much more excited! Seriously, I wonder which coupe roofline would have sold more if they were both available from the gitgo? The fastback certainly looked nice to me, but starting back in 59, Galaxie and a formal coupe roofline were pretty much tied together it seemed.
    Red 450SL with 90s wheels in the workplace parking garage today, and a flat painted or severely oxidized 190E on the road.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 9,849
    I love this video; you can just feel the happiness here. Full of old cars, trucks, and Jeeps. I notice a Packard pretty early in the video. Filmed by the guy's father. On another forum someone mentioned about people's 'ancestors' being in WWII, like it was 200 years ago. Anyway, great video. I get a chill when I see the gal pointing to the sky as if to say, "Look! No airplanes!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=CZ85j6U2Fvs
  • lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,294
    ...nice black 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS with black vinyl top at Bingham and Rhawn in NE Philly.
    I saw not one, but two MB W126es. The first one was a metallic brown that had sort of a glow to it...that's the best way to describe it. Like it had just a slight touch of red mixed in, perhaps? The second one was a nice, subdued luxury-car green. Both were in pretty good shape. I've noticed that it's very, very rare that I see a ratted out Benz from that era...usually they're pretty well taken care of. BMW's on the other hand, often seem more hit or miss.

And yesterday, when I picked up my '85 Silverado from the shop, they had a burgundy '37 Chevy 4 door in there that was good looking, resto-modded with modern wheels/tires, at least. I had to ask what year it was, although I guessed pretty close with 1938. They also had a 1978 Malibu coupe up on a lift, with all the wheels off. Looked like it was in pretty good shape. It was green, but a non-stock looking green. Sort of like that "Spring Green" that was used in the early 1970's.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 65,295
    andre, how is the work coming along on your Desoto? It's been a while since you've provided us with an update.

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

W126s can age well when maintained, and do often attract a more mature audience. Still tons of them on the road around here, some nicer than others. The most neglected ones you'll see are W124s and W201s. Sounds like those are nice colors - brown works on that body design, and there's a nice green one I see now and then here, too.

Here's something I just noticed, in my area anyway, Craigslist now has the ability to search vehicles by year.
    of that Continental Mark V I occasionally see near my job...

Sorry about the pole, but I was stopped at a traffic light and that was the best I could do!
    Period colors for sure.

Also a final run/facelift (94-95) MB W124 in the background - that design aged very well.
    Doesn't that Lincoln front end and color remind you of some 70's & 80's big Chrysler's?
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 6,845
    Actually, I think the Chryslers were trying to mimic the Lincoln.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Agree and some of those Chrysler's I thought came out pretty sharp in the looks department. With the recent Sonata and Fusion, I'm thinking cars may be heading back to a more angular styling theme for awhile now. I guess time will tell.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 6,652
    I'd love to have a Mark V. I passed up a 79 Collectors series some years back in great shape for a stupid low price. I still kick myself for not buying it.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 12,029
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
    Nice ride, same option set and interior color as my 89 was. Mine was just about as clean as that one. You don't see silver/blue too often.

I bet he gets 6k easy.

Very western WA scene this afternoon - Volvo Amazon wagon to the right of me, MB W116 300SD to the left. Also saw a 560SEC and a ~65 Cutlass 2 door HT.
    Current bid is market correct @ $5100.

I sold mine in 2004 for $4500. I guess they gone up since then, at that time that was top dollar according to my research.

Or possibly just regained where they were. Lotsa "classic" cars took a huge hit in 2006--2008. Some of the "hot ones" lost 50% of value and are now just breaking even again. (e.g., Shelby GT350)

andre, how is the work coming along on your Desoto? It's been a while since you've provided us with an update.

Still in limbo, at the shop, and nothing's been done for quite awhile now. I know I should try to light a fire under the mechanic, but I've been procrastinating myself now!
    At some point, some Ford stylists jumped ship to Chrysler, even before Iaccocca transitioned over. That's one reason that some cars took on a heavy Ford influence. I think it really became apparent starting in the late 1970's. For instance, the R-body (Newport/New Yorker/St. Regis) had a strong creased look reminiscent of what Ford was starting to do. I always thought a 1979 Newport looked like a cross between a LeSabre and a Grand Marquis. In 1980, the Aspen/Volare got a minor update up front that made them look like a Fairmont/Zephyr in my opinion. Also in 1980, the Cordoba/Mirada had more than a passing similarity to the 1977-79 LTD II/T-bird/Cougar.

Ford tends to get credit for kicking off the "luxury compact" craze with the 1975 Granada and Monarch, but the domestics must have had some kind of foreshadowing, that there was a demand for nicer, more upscale compacts even before that. The Dart and Valiant, for example, started going for a more pretentious look starting in 1973, and they even started adding ritzy Valiant Brougham and Dart Special Edition trim levels for 1974. But then, the Maverick LDO came out in 1972, so perhaps this is no big surprise.

I think Chrysler really started going for those more pretentious, upright front-ends starting in 1974, with the redesigned Newport/New Yorker and Imperial. The Newport/New Yorker grille seemed more Mercedes-inspired, though. I wonder if the Imperial's hidden headlight look, which would transfer to the New Yorker in 1976, was inspired by Lincoln, or simply done because the '69-73 had hidden headlights as well?

For 1975, the Plymouth Gran Fury and full-sized Dodge Monaco offered top trim levels that had upright grilles. The Monaco had hidden headlights and looked pretty sharp, IMO, although the Plymouth, with a big Mercedes/LTD-esque grille, and an odd mis-match of a single headlight and big rectangular turn signal didn't work as well, IMO.
    The rather svelte "new" 1983 Ford Thunderbird was a result of Ford execs absolutely hating what their design teams were proposing for the 9th generation 'Birds--they looked like warmed over 8th generation cars. The "faux Benz" styling was getting old.

I think the 1983 T-bird still looks futuristic by today's standards. I think the main things that betray its age are the fact that it's a coupe, has a big overhang with a short wheelbase, and small wheels and tires.

Some styling features, such as aircraft-style doors, large windows, and low-slung profiles are always "modern" in my opinion, so much of today's fleet is actually pretty throw-back, style wise. FWIW, the T-bird's windows weren't all that large for the time, but by today's standards they certainly are.
    The '83 is not perfect but it could have been another 1982! Arghhh!