Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    PHS could verify what that car is.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    edited March 2023
    Yep. I believe the car now that I've looked at the '75 brochure.

Boy, Pontiac's mid-size lineup was about as diverse as the '67 full-size line was!

A couple years ago, I saw a '74 or '75 (can't recall now) LeMans Sport Coupe GT with the triangular quarter window and the interior of a nice bench seat with center armrest. Brochure showed all available. I don't believe I'd seen a Sport Coupe with anything but the louvered window previously. i had never seen a GT before that wasn't just a base LeMans to start with. The brochure also showed that the LeMans sedan could be had with the seating of the Grand LeMans. One might say "Why?", but if you didn't like fender skirts that the Grand LeMans had, here was the way to get around it.

Were these ways to nudge sales up a bit? Who knows, but choice is always nice.

Chevy rarely 'stretched' like that.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 285
    A good friend of mine's father bought him a new 1966 SS 396-325 Chevelle when he graduated from high school. It had a bench seat and 4 speed with no console. The only one I ever saw like it and there were lots of SS396's around. He was a wide butt 320 pounder and it worked better than buckets.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    I remember reading that Pontiac was getting desperate to bolster LeMans sales in general. I'm too lazy to look up the specs, but supposedly the LeMans wasn't quite as successful as the other divisions when the Colonade came out, and when the Arab oil embargo hit, its sales sunk worse than the others as well. So this is why they did things like giving the Grand LeMans the nicer dash for '75, and such. Perhaps, they figured offering a split bench seat and regular opera window in the Grand Am would help improve sales?

Were you forced to get fender skirts standard if you bought a Grand LeMans in '75? In '76-77 at least, they were optional.

And yeah, it does seem odd that they'd offer Grand LeMans seats in the base LeMans. But again, maybe that was a way to make the low end cars more appealing. The Grand LeMans sedan was also a very slow seller in '75, with only 4906 4-door sedans built. In contrast, they made about 19,000 base LeManses. So maybe they had too many Grand LeMans seats on hand, so they started offering them in the base LeMans to get rid of the inventory?

I'm not positive, but I think the LeMans may have been the only Colonade to see decreasing sales with every passing year. Actually, I did look that up. If you consider the Grand Am to be a separate model, rather than a trim level of the LeMans, then the '76 LeMans did do a bit better. They built around 92,000 LeManses, and 10,500 Grand Ams, for '75. Then around 96,000 LeManses for '76. But in general, I think the equivalent cars from other divisions did better. And the Grand Prix really took off.
    edited March 2023
    jwm40517, i do recall seeing the occasional Chevelle SS396 with bench seat, but not too often.

Something I like that Chevy offered in an Impala SS only one year ('67) is a Strato-Bench seat, which is bench bottom for three-across seating, but bucket backs and center armrest. I've seen a handful of them. But apparently not enough for them to continue into '68.

They offered the Strato-Bench on Caprices from '66 to '69. Only way to get a Caprice coupe with a front-seat center armrest in those years, and in '66, that front seat option on the Caprice sedan got you front and rear seat center armrests, the last Chevy to have that until the late '80's Brougham models.

My first college roommate had a '68 Bonneville Brougham four-door hardtop with black nylon cloth interior and the strato-bench seat. It looked nice, but those strato seat backs were thin and hard in my memory. The Chevy's would have been also.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    andre, I think '74 and '75 Grand LeMans cars got you skirts whether you wanted them or not, but I'm too lazy to look. That's my memory, though.
    edited March 2023
    Another eye-opening reader comment on FB today on a Barn Finds post about a '61 Corvair Monza for sale:

It was rumored that plans for this car with a turbo were scrapped because it was faster than the Corvette for that year.

Apparently dear reader has never heard of the Turbo Spyder/Corsa models built from '62 to '66.

You can't make this stuff up.
    There were a few experimental engines that were designed with the Corvair in mind, that never made it to production. I wonder if that's what the commenter was thinking of.

Wikipedia has a list of these engines in its Corvair entry. It doesn't mention putting pressure on the Corvette, however. In reading the description, it simply sounds like none of the engines were reliable enough, nor cost effective enough, to be put into production.

According to my old car book, the weakest Corvette engine in 1961 was a 230 hp 283. I guess it's possible, that some of these experimental engines might have been more powerful than that?

The only 1961 Corvette road test I could find was one with the 315 hp fuel injected 283, and they got 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. Automobile Catalog has mathematical calculations that estimate 0-60 times (sometimes they're dead on, but not always), and the slowest one they showed was the 230 hp 283, with a Powerglide, and even it was still good for 0-60 in an estimated 8.2.

I found a Motortrend test of a '62 Corvair Monza Spyder, with 150 hp and a 3-speed manual. 0-60 in 12.1 seconds. So with what actually went into production, I doubt a Corvair ever gave a Corvette a serious run for its money. But, if you want to stretch your imagination, I guess it's possible one of those experimental engines might have been able to at least beat the slowest Corvette? At least, for the few good runs you got before the engine developed some malfunction?

It's a stretch of the imagination, but I could see someone taking the info and such that I just dug up, and put the spin on it of "plans for the car with a turbo were scrapped because it was faster than the Corvette that year"
    You're very diplomatic, andre. I'm leaning towards that the guy is Cliff Clavin! :)
    Some great research Imidazol97.
    Yes, thanks imidazol. That's definitely the car; great pics and backstory.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited March 2023
    Thanks. I was hoping for inside pictures of car, but haven't found those.
    Note that one of the small pics shows that same car with different rims.
    And owner had changed the color of the car. I can see both ways on that.
    I like originals. But sometimes there's a much nicer color that was offered.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited March 2023
    I like original best, especially on a car where there will be doubters as on this car. You could show them the window sticker, or at least the PHS documentation.

I always thought that '73 and later instrument panel was designed with a console in mind. I'd love to know how many of those Grand Am's were built with bench seat. I knew the '78-80 was available with it.

We've talked about this before, but the term "special order" always rather cracks me up, In my mind that conjures up something along the lines of COPO, and/or you knew somebody so got something that was generally believed to be not available. I ordered one car in my life, and I always just said "I ordered it". I think I've seen broadcast sheets that say "CUST ORDER" and in conversation I know over the years I've said to somebody, "Somebody probably ordered that car".
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    edited March 2023
    on my Maverick, the window sticker was a different color because it was a custom order (and it really was, I specced it out exactly as I wanted, within what they would allow!). I think mine was green. Stock units were blue.

only custom orders I ever did. Other than the 2000 BMW 525 I did, but backed out of before it was built. Should have just spend the money and treated myself, in retrospect!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I ordered the Club Sport. My Cooper Clubman is essentially the base trim levell in the US. It had to have been ordered as it has several options that you almost never see on a Cooper- Comfort Access, navigation, heated leather sport seats, real English oak wood trim, and roof rails,

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997

I ordered the Club Sport. My Cooper Clubman is essentially the base trim levell in the US. It had to have been ordered as it has several options that you almost never see on a Cooper- Comfort Access, navigation, heated leather sport seats, real English oak wood trim, and roof rails,

I thought every MINI was unique, to a certain extent .. I seem to remember them claiming there were 10,00,000 combinations possible.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    All of my new cars have been leases of oddball or leftover models, I have never special ordered. Probably for the better, as my custom build would probably would get pushed back due to parts availability, be witherlingly expensive, or both. The wagon has much of what I would pick if building myself, so I am happy, and still from back in the day when it wasn't hard to get 10% off sticker on almost any MB.

I wish there was a Marti type report for all cars.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I've never ordered. I've had a dealer trade done, to get a specific color, but that's it. Back when we were in leasing mode, I found I got the best deals that way.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited March 2023
    I don’t know if it was a dealer trade but in 98 the Mazda dealer sent a driver to Atlanta to pick up a Mazda Millenia in the color twilight mica blue I wanted. I also wanted the cold weather package and Bose that my 96 Millenia had but alas there were no Millenias of any color available with the cold weather package though I did get the Bose. I would have bought the 96 Millenia at lease end but the residual was too high and there was no negotiation on that end.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited March 2023
    sda said:

I don’t know if it was a dealer trade but in 98 the Mazda dealer sent a driver to Atlanta to pick up a Mazda Millenia in the color twilight mica blue I wanted. I also wanted the cold weather package and Bose that my 96 Millenia had but alas there were no Millenias of any color available with the cold weather package though I did get the Bose. I would have bought the 96 Millenia at lease end but the residual was too high and there was no negotiation on that end.

My dealer(Kings Mazda in Cincinnati) traded with another dealer to get my Mazdaspeed 3. Kings had the car flatbedded from Cleveland at no added cost.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    On my '14 ATS the local dealer only had one in a very odd shade of Plum Metallic with zero options, so I did a search in Eastern Canada for better choices. I found two that I liked, one in Montreal in metallic white with kind of a butterscotch interior (not exactly tan), and one in metallic red with black a couple of hundred miles away. I took the latter and they did a trade with that dealer at no charge to me.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

I can’t remember… did you get it all fixed up? You were having trans issues, right?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Transmission was rebuilt last year before we moved and it drives just fine.
    Radiator stop leak is doing its' job.
    Have to find a place to do some of the other work.

Awesome. It certainly looks mint!

I saw this green beauty in the parking lot and had to take a picture.

'74?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 2023
    Judging from that color, I'd guess that Caddy is around an '80-82? To me it looks more blue, but sometimes lighting/contrast etc can play tricks on the eye. Looks like a beautiful hue, whatever it is!

It looks to me like a color you might have seen in the late 60's or perhaps really early 70's, before earth-tones and such became all the rage.
    edited March 2023
    Might be blackwatch green, color #49.
    http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?ditzler=3083&con=4&page=1&rows=50&size=large

Listed as up through 1980. I couldn't see any flaws on that vehicle. I shouldhave taken a pic of front and rear to be able to get a definite year on it.

That Caddy is at the oldest a 1984. No front fender engine emblem, and body-colored side moldings with no chrome beading.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Tonight, at the gym, a green (Japanese Racing Green?) Toyota MR2, beige top. Spoke to the owner, he found out about it from a friend who knew a guy who had it in storage for 8 years. So, a deal was made. He said a couple of new belts, oil, gas and he's got his summer toy!
    Gen 3, the "Boxster" version of Mr. Two.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Assuming the weather cooperates, I'm taking the Club Sport to a local car show this Saturday.

Caddy looks nice but needs whitewalls!

edited March 2023
    Really! The white letters on a car like that, particularly with wire wheelcovers, look pretty ridiculous, but I'll say I've seen a fair number of cars over the years with that combination.

I believe that car is dark metallic blue, both from the pic, and that I don't recall a dark green in that era at Cadillac.
    This color swatch does look a lot like the color at various levels of light. It showed a blue tone in it
    but it seemed more green to me, deep, dark green. I didn't get to take a really good look at the metallic
    chips in the paint to see if they were blue or green or brassy tone.

edited March 2023
    From FB:
    Check out these photos that Jim Stohlman has of his grandfather! Sothlam's Grandfather owned Stohlman Chevrolet in Washington, DC at the corner of 33rd and M Street( notice the cobblestone streets October 1953). In the first picture is Jim’s Father, Edwin L. Stohlman Jr at 30 yrs of age handing the keys to a brand new 1953 Corvette Vin E53F001014 to General Donald C. Yates, 3rd in command to General Eisenhower!)

May be an image of 2 people and car
    I've never ordered. I've had a dealer trade done, to get a specific color, but that's it.

I've bought fifteen new Chevys since 1/17/81. Only one was ordered; nine were dealer-trades; five were in the dealer's stock. One of those five was an oddball four-door Cavalier with 5-speed; someone had the dealer do a dealer trade and then didn't buy it.
    @uplanderguy Congrats! Hope it all happens for you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Good for you, Bill!

Well, I found out I can't use my GM Card earnings on a Corvette, which I find irritating.

Well, I found out I can't use my GM Card earnings on a Corvette, which I find irritating.

I'd guess those with a GM card are their most loyal customers. Shortsighted.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@uplanderguy
    Wow! That’s awesome.

Well, the earnings are applicable to a C8. When I googled the question, there is stuff online from a couple years back, "not applicable to 2020 or 2021 Corvettes". Emailed my salesman; he replied, "Where did you see or hear that? It's definitely applicable". My longtime GM card was taken over by Marcus last year and things have changed. There's a "GM Rewards" card, where earnings can be applied to dealer service and parts, but apparently my card is just a "GM Card" and all earnings are only applicable to a car, expiring in Jan. 2026. That's OK, as I'll need all the help I can get! I'm compelled to start putting EVERYTHING on a card.

So far my earnings are only $2,111, but that almost pays for the option that lifts the front up over driveways and parking lots that bottom out, LOL.
    Good for you, Bill!

Do they offer an option to lift the entire car up to assist in creaky old guys getting out from behind the wheel? B)

Congratulations Uplander! Hope you're able to pull it off!
    edited March 2023
    Do they offer an option to lift the entire car up to assist in creaky old guys getting out from behind the wheel?

I'll see if this is on the option list for 2LT.

Hammacher Automatic Assisted Lift Seat Chair Cushion Lifting hydraulic Push Up - Picture 1 of 3

You'll need to keep us updated with every step of this process.

Now you have time to get the outfit completed - jorts, tucked in T-shirt, socks nearly to the knees with white sneakers, maybe a fanny pack or conspicuous phone holster, complain about nobody wanting to work, etc ;)

Out on the road today: pristine brand new looking 92-93 Accord coupe, clean ~80 Fleetwood Brougham in a period correct kind of bronze with off white top on collector plates, immaculate 51 Ford sedan on blackwalls and dog dish caps wearing a 63-67 plate style for some reason, another maybe mid 80s Fleetwood Brougham in more patinated condition, JDM van - maybe a Delica, apparent "Patagonia" edition.