Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 9,864
    Those Pinto wagons weren't all that uncommon for awhile. They even had a fake wood sided model (don't recall if they called it a Squire), and I think for a short while a set up like a panel van with a small circular window on the rear side? You'd also see more than a few Vega Kammback wagons back in those days (provided the early ones hadn't rusted away or lost their engine. I thought they both looked nice, but I like wagons.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,339
    I think the woody was a Squire. The panel van was the Pinto cruising wagon.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

Great, I'm not totally losing my mind ;)
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,188
    I was behind a last generation early ‘00s Mercury Marauder today, either a dark, dark brown or black with some dust on it. Driven by an older (than me, at least) gray-haired fellow in a very sedate manner. Looked in top condition.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,555
    More small town sightings: immaculate Suzuki Swift GT, clean 67 Fairlane sedan, cigar 'Bird with much patina, 69 (I think) Camaro, couple of 80s Monte Carlo SS, VW Phaeton at a transmission shop, 2 66 Impalas in different locations, mid 60s Fury or Polara 2 door HT.
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,394
    edited May 12
    ab348 said:
    I was behind a last generation early ‘00s Mercury Marauder today, either a dark, dark brown or black with some dust on it. Driven by an older (than me, at least) gray-haired fellow in a very sedate manner. Looked in top condition.
    Unless it was repainted it was black.  With all the pollen right now everything looks dirty!

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

Odd sighting yesterday, seen from the right on this rear facing dashcam capture:

Lovely day today too, only saw one oldie out, and it was also unusual. Green and white 57 Ford convertible, non-retractable (soft top). I seen to recall it having normal US market side trim, but it had an odd grille with a dip in the middle like a Canadian market Meteor.
    on the local highway near me, got passed by a 73 (I think) 2 door Pontiac. I think a Grand Am. beak nose, and the slant to a point trunk lid . Period beige. Looked nice and clean, and from the sound, I think the engine was breathed on a bit. But looked stock.

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,996
    fintail said:

Odd sighting yesterday, seen from the right on this rear facing dashcam capture:

I waited a while for someone more knowledgeable of cars of that era, but I will now put in my guess of a '49 or '50 Plymouth Fastback.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Same general era, but smaller car. Making the video full screen may help.
    bhill2 said:

I waited a while for someone more knowledgeable of cars of that era, but I will now put in my guess of a '49 or '50 Plymouth Fastback.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,188
    That looks like a Henry J to me.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• texasestexases Posts: 8,807
    I agree, looks like a Henry J.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,108
    What those guys said. Henry J.

While not a car, we stayed in Lebanon, OH fairly near where daughter no. 2 graduated from Miami Univ. this past Sat. I've admired this old Texaco station before, but the overhead bay doors were opened so I walked up. It's a very cool barber shop.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 119,799
    That's cool. Why were you in Lebanon?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My daughter was graduating from Miami U. in Oxford, maybe 30 (?) miles away. Not many hotels in the small town of Oxford, and we've liked the Golden Lamb in Lebanon, which is the oldest hotel in OH, being in the current building since 1815. Twelve presidents have stayed or eaten there, and Charles Dickens stayed there. My wife knows I find Warren G. Harding fascinating so booked us the room named after him. I knew this but she didn't, but that is the smallest room they have, way in the back, LOL--he even gets no respect there! :) It was a lot of togetherness but the restaurant is wonderful there IMHO.
    Nice. We ate at a local bar in Charleston called Fuel, that was also a former gas station. Still had garage doors that opened, and the period glass block wall that would have been part of the waiting room.

There used to be a $40 haircut hipster barber shop in an 50s-60s era gas station several blocks from me - but it got torn down and replaced by generic bougie storefronts and expensive apartments.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,285
    edited May 20

...we've liked the Golden Lamb in Lebanon, which is the oldest hotel in OH, being in the current building since 1815. Twelve presidents have stayed or eaten there, and Charles Dickens stayed there. My wife knows I find Warren G. Harding fascinating so booked us the room named after him. I knew this but she didn't, but that is the smallest room they have, way in the back, LOL--he even gets no respect there! :) It was a lot of togetherness but the restaurant is wonderful there IMHO.

X2 on the great food at the restaurant. Owned by a family named Portman IIRC.

That barbershop is immaculate looking outside. Little cluttered inside, LOL. I like the mechanic tool boxes as storage for the barbers' materials. And the wide whitewall tires. I'll have to look that up. Maybe I'll go to the Blues Festival when they have a car show later in the summer...

Did @uplanderguy make to the Harper Valley movie location ice cream store on the main north/south street?

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

Neat looking place and neat you are now done with college students expenses. Congrats on the degree. Miami of Ohio is a good university.

...we've liked the Golden Lamb in Lebanon, which is the oldest hotel in OH, being in the current building since 1815. Twelve presidents have stayed or eaten there, and Charles Dickens stayed there. My wife knows I find Warren G. Harding fascinating so booked us the room named after him. I knew this but she didn't, but that is the smallest room they have, way in the back, LOL--he even gets no respect there! :) It was a lot of togetherness but the restaurant is wonderful there IMHO.

X2 on the great food at the restaurant. Owned by a family named Portman IIRC.

That barbershop is immaculate looking outside. Little cluttered inside, LOL. I like the mechanic tool boxes as storage for the barbers' materials. And the wide whitewall tires. I'll have to look that up. Maybe I'll go to the Blues Festival when they have a car show later in the summer...

Did @uplanderguy make to the Harper Valley movie location ice cream store on the main north/south street?

It is owned by the Portman's, now (Senator Rob Portman).

The Comisars of Maisonette restaurant fame used to own it.

I've eaten there multiple times, but never stayed there, as it is less than an hour from where we live.

Edmunds Moderator

@uplanderguy Congrats on the graduation!

Edmunds Moderator

berri said:

Neat looking place and neat you are now done with college students expenses. Congrats on the degree. Miami of Ohio is a good university.

Miami of Ohio Miami University is a good university.

Feel free to refer to University of Miami as Miami of Florida, grin.

The two names are different but sports folks couldn't seem to understand that so they started using the diminutive "of Ohio."

kyfdx said:

It is owned by the Portman's, now (Senator Rob Portman).

The Comisars of Maisonette restaurant fame used to own it.

I didn't know the Comisars had owned it.

When my son was an intern in the senator's office, we went there to eat with him. He told the gentleman seating us that he worked for the senator. The man said, "I do too" and laughed.

We put the Golden Lamb visits on the same level as the Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill restaurant. Because my wife has difficulty walking both are a challenge because of steps.

edited May 20
    Is that one of those schools that gives lush full rides to hockey playing Canadian kids to keep a weird feeder sports team system going? I bet those 4 years were a spicy meatball, uplander, now time to buy another Stude!

The school names of that area (like Miami) can be confusing to west coasters. I recall when I was in high school, I knew a kid a couple years older than me who went to "Cornell". I was quite impressed by this, and eventually someone told me it was actually "Cornell College", which didn't have the same cachet.

@imidazol97 I don't think I've been to Shaker Village since the early '90s.

If you like that type of food, have you been to the Boone Tavern in Berea, KY?

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 20
    Thanks for the kind words. Both our daughters graduated from there. Hockey is "the" sport there.

I remember seeing shirts on students that said "Miami was a university before Florida was a state", LOL.

I love the town of Oxford. It sits on top of a hill, out in the middle of nowhere, basically. But, after this past weekend, I don't care if I ever drive from Lebanon to Oxford and back, ever again! We did that several times this weekend. I gotta say, it's the farthest I've driven/ridden in our new Equinox and I think the tire noise, mostly from the rear, is bothersome. My Cruze is quieter.

Coming off daughter no. 1's wedding the weekend before, we're both tired, to say the least. The wedding was 2 hrs. 15 mins. from us and graduation about 4 hrs. 15 mins. from us.

I did see a fairly decent red and black '55 Plymouth two-door hardtop, guessing a Belvedere, in Oxford on Sat.

The Portmans do own the Golden Lamb. It's not luxurious, but old and historic-looking. Upstairs in the halls I'm sure it looks the same as it did in 1962. :) The Harding room was small....real small. We'd stayed there previously but in bigger rooms.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,559
    @uplanderguy,
    Did you stop by Bagel & Deli in Oxford to get something to eat?
    A lot of Americans go to Canada to play junior hockey, then come back to the states for college.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,559
    Saw a black last gen 9-5 with a turbo6 and maybe xwd badges on it.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    I think Americans going to Canada was more common before USHL developed into something competent. Some still go to Jr A or major junior, but the weird NCAA implications for the latter make that a limited number unless one has exceptional skill and sees an early pro career as a given.

In the workplace garage, the ~85 Prelude Si is here again - must be a summer car, and there's a later model Corvette with all kinds of racing signage and gingerbread mingling with the cloned Subarus and MDX/RX crowd, stands out.