Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,854
    When we were in PA back in February, we were supposed to stay at the Omni William Penn for several days. However, because of the weather delays getting into Seattle, we could not make the reservation and just ended up just staying in a chain hotel downtown. We were out for a walk (in rather blustery weather) the next morning, and we walked by it, so we poked our heads into the lobby.

So, while we didn't get to stay there, we did get to pay a couple hundred dollars (non-refundable portion of the reservation) to walk through the lobby for about five minutes! :)
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,315
    Congratulations on the new Miami Red Hawk graduate.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• berriberri Posts: 9,873
    @imidazol97

so they started using the diminutive "of Ohio."

Sorry you took it that way. It was referred to that way for many years while a football powerhouse and has always had a strong academic reputation regardless of its name. Actually, if I saw Miami University, I might confuse that as the one in Florida. Just a matter of perspective I guess. Either way, Uplander's daughter done good!
    Miami University (Ohio) was actually quite involved in military training for WWII, including signal/electronics training for the Navy.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,112
    edited May 21
    Did you stop by Bagel & Deli in Oxford to get something to eat?

No, but I have eaten there once.

But..after graduation, when my wife and I wanted just to get back to Lebanon (daughter was going to a party with friends), our older daughter and her husband wanted to go to Bagel and Deli and for us to meet them at "The Municipal Lot uptown" for us to pick up a package from their car. We didn't know where that was so said "Meet us at Kroger's lot" which made daughter no. 1 not happy, LOL.

Of course, Oxford was wall-to-wall cars at that point.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,579
    @uplanderguy,
    Yup, Kroger isn't that close to B & D.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,004
    A Bond movie was on. He was being chased by an obscure one :)

And it wound up in the bay :)

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,433
    that Pontiac parked at the curb really looks out of place.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

Like the Chinook. Seldom see that helicopter without a military livery.
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,829
    Didn't they use the Chinook for some sort of shuttle service in/out of Manhattan some years ago?
    They had a Chinook at a Memorial Day military encampment here at the PA Military Museum a few years ago. We were about 150 yards away when it took off. Now THAT was pretty powerful!

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I'm really not sure. There are also some large Euro-copters that may have been used. The Chinook would have been an expensive to operate people shuttle as it was designed to haul heavy weight and has a pretty long pilot training program in the Army.
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,829
    Yep, from the Pan Am building:

Nice picture texases. Taking off from the Pan Am building is very apropos. Now if there was just one of their B707 Clippers in the skyline coming into Idlewild (JFK) ... btw, the military pilot training course for the Chinook is one of the longest. Excellent aircraft, but complicated to handle.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 111,093
    Great picture. My dad had a cousin who worked for PanAm, in that very building. Probably worked there when that picture was taken.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 2,002
    PF_Flyer said:

I think the obscure car is a Toyota Crown.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,635
    bhill2 said:

PF_Flyer said:

I think the obscure car is a Toyota Crown.
    Look at those handling chops!

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL/Nav

You guys are goooood :)

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 120,447
    Body roll does not necessarily equate to bad handling. Without some body roll, most tires couldn't maintain traction.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,493
    kyfdx said:

Body roll does not necessarily equate to bad handling. Without some body roll, most tires couldn't maintain traction.

Doesn't a bit of body roll help keep you in your seat a bit better, as well? With most newer cars, that's probably not as much of an issue thanks to the contouring and side bolstering of the seats, but it seems to me that with an old car that corners flat, it's more likely to "throw" you, sort of like a bucking bronco.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,277
    andre1969 said:

kyfdx said:

Doesn't a bit of body roll help keep you in your seat a bit better, as well? With most newer cars, that's probably not as much of an issue thanks to the contouring and side bolstering of the seats, but it seems to me that with an old car that corners flat, it's more likely to "throw" you, sort of like a bucking bronco.

In the old days, nothing worked better to keep you in the seat when cornering than corduroy pants on velour seat upholstery. That combo was like Velcro.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,599
    Yep, a little body roll isn't a bad thing:

A friend of mine, used to modern cars, claims I get a wheel off the ground when taking ramps at speed.

And then when searching for an image, I go down a rabbit hole and find this cool wagon conversion (from France), never seen it before:

Physics is a stubborn thing :)

Edmunds Moderator

@andre1969

Don't know if you get Collectible Auto magazine, but I just got the latest issue (Aug) and there is a decent article, with plenty of pictures, on Mopar cars from 1960. It has some nice shots of those Dodge vehicles you like. 1960 is an interesting year for Chrysler products whether someone likes the styling or not, including stuff like Unibody on big cars (except Imperial).
    Yep, I get collectible Automobile, but haven't seen the August issue yet. I actually like the styling of most of the Mopars that year. The only one I don't really care for is Plymouth. I think the Dart and especially the bigger Dodges are good looking cars though. I also think the DeSoto and Chrysler are really attractive...my biggest issue with them is they're just not that unique any more, and look too similar to each other. I think the '60 is sort of a "love it or hate it" for Imperial, but for some reason I love it. I just think the grille/front-end treatment is really attractive, although it also looks a bit Cadillac-ish to me!
    I actually like the Valiant. Well made and styled different, kind of Euro for its time. The DeSoto basically gave you the Chrysler (at a discount) with a smaller engine and different dash. Always liked those globe dashes on the Chrysler.
    My brother had a '62 Valiant. Black with a red/white interior

Edmunds Moderator

Oops...totally forgot about the Valiant! Yep, I like it, too. If I was going to get a Big Three compact that year, I'd probably go with the Valiant.
  • lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,306

1965 Triumph Herald at this past Spring Carlisle.
  • lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,306
    PF_Flyer said:

My brother had a '62 Valiant. Black with a red/white interior

My Grandmom had a white 1961 Valiant with a red interior way back in the day. My Grandpop took my Mom out once to teach her how to drive then gave up. Mom went to driving school after that.