Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 122,998

kyfdx said:
    Thank you!

I assume it was trailered in from Waterford MI, and not driven. That's the White Lake area.

Beautiful. I was always fascinated by the gull wings.
    I remember when I was at Miami University and saw my first
    Mercedes SL parked along High Street.
    Both the Cobra and the Gullwing were probably trailered in. The Cobra is local, but with just 1900 original miles, I'll guess they don't drive it. Plus, raining and $1 million plus value.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,397
    edited June 9
    I saw an ad for a car show in this larger area that said "no trailered cars."
    Those are often the best ones from my point of view because I like the
    ones as original as possible or as typical in the way they were equipped
    long ago in the 50s and 60s.

Maybe the show doesn't have any room for tow vehicles and a trailer to park, but...
    a distance parking lot and an SUV to run drivers back and forth would have worked.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

More stuff

Edmunds Moderator

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,150
    The Evening Orchid/Iris Mist color was gorgeous IMHO. The '65 full-size Pontiacs are beautiful, but I think the 2+2 instrument panel lacks much without the wood paneling and assist grip the Bonneville and Grand Prix have. In those iterations, I don't believe there's ever been a more-expensive looking domestic instrument panel, and I'd say that includes the Olds and Buick cars of the same model year (Cadillac, well probably not, LOL).
    edited June 9
    I remember when I was at Miami University and saw my first
    Mercedes SL parked along High Street.

Two or three or so years ago, when I was there visiting one of our daughters (both went there), on High St. I saw a fifties M-B, I think a 180 or maybe a 220, with wide whites and it was a two-door with no quarter glass.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,741
    That would be a Ponton coupe, all badged 220S or 220SE, 1957-60 model years:

For obscure cars, lovely day here today but saw almost nothing of interest on the road. I did see a restored looking maybe late 70s squarebody Blazer, and a very clean 2nd gen Accord.

Two or three or so years ago, when I was there visiting one of our daughters (both went there), on High St. I saw a fifties M-B, I think a 180 or maybe a 220, with wide whites and it was a two-door with no quarter glass.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,125
    kyfdx said:

Forgot this one existed:

So did 99.99999999% of the buying public.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,542
    I’ve never seen a coupe on the road, only the vert.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,402
    edited June 10
    There was a coupe version of the Solistice on a dealer lot here a few years ago several different times. It was bought by the dealer principal new (he was a GM dealer) for his personal collection and he decided to get rid of several of his cars when he sold the GM store and became exclusively a Ford dealer (he had all 3 domestic brands at different stores for a while). It was offered for $36K Cdn and didn't get any takers the first few times, don't know if it eventually sold or not.

When new I preferred the styling of the Saturn Sky and I spotted this one on a dealer lot on the weekend. I remember seeing this car around town a few times. The lack of a price makes me wonder. I suspect I would not fit in it very well.

https://www.carsrus.ns.ca/used/2008-Saturn-Sky-id7400360.html

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,622
    the automatic kills that one for me.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

I liked the looks of the Sky, but I've never seen one without chrome wheels. pass.

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,542
    I like chrome wheels... but then again I drive a Buick

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

stickguy said:

the automatic kills that one for me.

The manual in these was a 5-speed and a piece of crap. Autobox is the way to go.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,715
    edited June 10
    Having owned a 92 Miata 5sp, I was spoiled by the nice shifting trans and wonderfully simple top to lower and raise. The Miata was a fun weekend car. The SKY and Solstice were neat looking cars. From what I remember lowering and raising the top on those was a multi step cumbersome and frustrating experience.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL/Nav

Automatic is never the way to go in a 2 seat convertible sports car. Sacrilege.

sda said:

Having owned a 92 Miata 5sp, I was spoiled by the nice shifting trans and wonderfully simple top to lower and raise. The Miata was a fun weekend car. The SKY and Solstice were neat looking cars. From what I remember lowering and raising the top on those was a multi step cumbersome and frustrating experience.

Yes, that's what I read as well. Apparently not quite as bad as the old British erector-set ones, but not simple either.

fin, that is the car model I saw on High St. at Miami U. It was a maroon or blood-red color though.
    Solstice and Sky--I thought the styling of both was better than anything else out there like them. I remember in my little hometown, a Solstice was the last brand-new Pontiac the dealer had in inventory.
    Two sightings today on a short errand-running trip: a R-body Chrysler New Yorker in pristine condition, with what I suspect is a non-factory paint job. It had the two-tone pattern but instead of the typical cream and beige it had a silver and dark blue combination. Looked good. Moments later I found myself behind a mid-'80s 1st-gen Datsun/Nissan 300ZX. Hadn't seen one of those around here in forever. Looked strangely dated for what was a cutting-edge car at the time.

mid engine day. a 1st gen MR2, and a last gen MRspyder

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,496
    ab348 said:

Two sightings today on a short errand-running trip: a R-body Chrysler New Yorker in pristine condition, with what I suspect is a non-factory paint job. It had the two-tone pattern but instead of the typical cream and beige it had a silver and dark blue combination. Looked good.

Actually, they did offer that combination on the 1980 non-5th Avenue New Yorkers. It was called "Nightwatch Blue / Burnished Silver Metallic". The 5th Ave that year was offered in the more typical creme/beige, although I believe it was a slightly different hue from the 1979, and a new, solid color, "Black Walnut Metallic".

I'd imagine there aren't too many 1980 New Yorkers around, in general. They only sold about 13,000 of them, new, down from around 54,000 in 1979. They sold about 15,000 5th Ave editions in '79, all of them that two-tone beige/creme color, so that's probably why that color seems so common, relatively speaking.

• berriberri Posts: 9,951
    "Nightwatch Blue / Burnished Silver Metallic".

Sure your not confusing that with the Georgia Highway Patrol ;)
    Early T-Bird

Edmunds Moderator

Big money

Edmunds Moderator

Fun pic of a restored fintail towing a restored (Euro style) travel trailer. They'll tow anything with anything there, I can't imagine this here, and my car would throw a fit

I assume the Ferrari is a 250 GT.
    fintail said:

Fun pic of a restored fintail towing a restored (Euro style) travel trailer. They'll tow anything with anything there, I can't imagine this here, and my car would throw a fit

I assume the Ferrari is a 250 GT.

Correct

Edmunds Moderator

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,496
    berri said:

"Nightwatch Blue / Burnished Silver Metallic".

Sure your not confusing that with the Georgia Highway Patrol ;)

LOL...heck, even my old county has a variation of it, on an F-word, even :p

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,630
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    I love the colors of this one. These used to be really common but not so much these days.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/ranger/2281099.html

I wish there were more pics offered. Most 390s of that era end up with cracked exhaust manifolds and I wonder if this one is afflicted too. Interesting in that even though the Ranger trim was pretty top-line back then, this is still pretty basic inside.

Saw an oddity today, a Yukon "GT" in pristine condition, just like this:

I was unfamiliar with that trim level. One brought just shy of 30K on BaT last year, so it must be worth 15K anyway.