Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,604
    took a quick run to Lancaster today. quite a few interesting cars out. Nice clean 69ish Satellite wagon (rare to see one of those), and assortment of the usual Novas, Chevelles, etc. Oddest was something from the 20s (don't think it was a Model A, maybe the Chevy equivalent), actually out on a 4 lane sorta-highway (route 30). Definitely defining the slow lane, but it was moving along at maybe 45? not sure if cracking 50. Odd odd sighting.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,707
    fintail said:

Fun pic of a restored fintail towing a restored (Euro style) travel trailer. They'll tow anything with anything there, I can't imagine this here, and my car would throw a fit

Is there a color that fintail doesn’t look good? Bright yellow perhaps?

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL/Nav

drove up for the Mets game today. The Jersey turnpike and cutting through NYC is not prime classic spotting, but in the lot just parked among the rest of the cars was a 1969ish continental Mark III. Stunning in black, though had hideous chrome dubs on it. But body was immaculate. Shocked someone would drive it there!

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 113,747
    stickguy said:

drove up for the Mets game today. The Jersey turnpike and cutting through NYC is not prime classic spotting, but in the lot just parked among the rest of the cars was a 1969ish continental Mark III. Stunning in black, though had hideous chrome dubs on it. But body was immaculate. Shocked someone would drive it there!

Off topic question - how do you get to the ballpark from South Jersey? I'd assume Verrazano Narrows bridge...

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I take the Jersey Turnpike to the top and go over the George Washington bridge. usually a bit quicker, and to me a better drive. Plus cheaper I think (the VN is really expensive these days!) Plus the BQE is a lousy road. But, either way can work.

stickguy said:

I take the Jersey Turnpike to the top and go over the George Washington bridge. usually a bit quicker, and to me a better drive. Plus cheaper I think (the VN is really expensive these days!) Plus the BQE is a lousy road. But, either way can work.

Huh. Interesting. Wouldn't have thought the long way was quicker, but you certainly know the area better than I do.

I'm just fascinated by the tunnels and bridges in and around NYC. Never done the VN, but I remember taking the GW when I was on vacation as a teen in the 70's. We had flown to Tennessee to visit my mom's family, then borrowed a car for the drive to see my dad's family in Westchester County. I believe I was the navigator, and managed to get us lost around DC (not sure I-66 was compete at the time).

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

driving in and around NYC is a bit of an art form. Logic doesn't always apply.

stickguy said:

driving in and around NYC is a bit of an art form. Logic doesn't always apply.

I can understand that. I've driven in Manhattan only a couple of times, and then to get off the island in a rental car and head to another destination.

I've done the NJT a lot, however. My godparents lived in Moorsetown and I would visit them anytime I got close to the area.

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,719
    The cars had a wide variety of possible colors, some better than others

I think time may have finally been kind to the styling, too. Once reviled because of the fins, they are now seen as fun kitsch, and something unique. The front end of 6cyl models has the timeless 4 lights/large light assembles like the later 108/109 cars and coupes, while the rest is something modern in 1959.
    sda said:

Is there a color that fintail doesn’t look good? Bright yellow perhaps?

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,085
    A Monday morning tester in the background :)

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

I can’t get a clear view, Vega Kammback?

it kinda looks like that, but seems too long and rear window line seems off. and the trunk lid. Could just be the camera angle. Hard for me to get a clear view of it.

can't wait to find out what it actually is!

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,496
    My guess would be a Vega Kammback as well. What is that scene from? I'm picking up a "Rockford Files" vibe. That light green '73-74 Nova behind the Rolls is what's doing it, I think.
    I watched a 1976 Price Is Right on Youtube yesterday. One of the cars was a green Vega Kammback.

Another gem found online - looks heavy, and the early Trabi is an uncommon sight:

Poor fintail, huffing and puffing, loaded down.

Max 135 hp engine (the old hp) of somewhat small displacement - not the most relaxed tow rig.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,911
    sda said:

Poor fintail, huffing and puffing, loaded down.

It needs some helper springs back there, or maybe airbags. :)
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,369
    If someone was looking to take command of a land yacht, I think you might find this one to your liking:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163739680791?ul_noapp=true

Unfortunately someone decided not only to paint the engine incorrectly, but to use the same wrong paint on the air cleaner. Sounds small, but that sort of thing just makes me wonder how many other slapdash things were done to ready this one for sale.

Pretty color combo though and appears to be in nice condition.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

sda said:

I can’t get a clear view, Vega Kammback?

Sorry for delaying your DING DING :)

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

andre1969 said:

My guess would be a Vega Kammback as well. What is that scene from? I'm picking up a "Rockford Files" vibe. That light green '73-74 Nova behind the Rolls is what's doing it, I think.

Sorta close on the show. Columbo... now if you came up with the episode...LOL

Edmunds Moderator

• berriberri Posts: 9,931
    ab - is the "club" on the steering wheel included ;)
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,369
    If it is I hope the key is also included.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

PF_Flyer said:

"Any Old Port in A Storm". :p
    On my street, a clean looking later run grand marquis. White. Blue cloth roof and shiny chrome wheels. On the c pillar, script lettering that said “palm beach edition”. Very fitting.

andre1969 said:

PF_Flyer said:

"Any Old Port in A Storm". :p
    Double DING DING!

Edmunds Moderator

A TCM kinda day :)

Edmunds Moderator

First guess would be about a 1938 DeSoto, long wheelbase model? I can't remember if they were using the "Suburban" name at that point? Something about the headlights looks funny, but maybe they were altered for the movie, to get the brightness they needed?
    Ding ding..'38

Edmunds Moderator

edited June 19
    In preparation for, and to give you a heads up on the upcoming comment box changes, I've posted a guide to the new comment box. I've covered everything, where you can find it, how to use it, and what it does. Any questions you might have can be posted here in this thread. Shouldn't be too big of an adjustment. It is simply a settings change on the comment box, NOT a change in the forums software. How you navigate, sign in, and all the rest remains the same. This will get us past the issues some users have had with the links for attaching images and the like. Check it out. Wanted to try and make sure that everyone, especially you folks that make a lot of posts, will be prepared and not surprised when we implement this.

Coming Attractions - Changes to the Comment Box

Edmunds Moderator

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,911
    Great write-up! I have to say, though.... those emojis are not emotorcons. :(
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup