Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 10,059
    Sharp car in a sharp color
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,529
    Good looking car, AB. It's always kinda cool to run across pics of your own car at random on the internet. I can remember back in the day, if you googled "1976 Pontiac LeMans", or "1979 Chrysler 5th Avenue", my cars were among the first that would pop up. I just tried it...the LeMans still shows up pretty early on, but the 5th Ave is way down on the list now.

I guess I was into R-bodies before they were really a "thing". Not that they're really THAT much of a "thing" these days :p
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,927
    edited July 7
    Speaking of finding your car online - that's my car, years ago before it got wide whites. The image on right appears to also be my car, color changed.

Google also has some OCR functions in its search, so if you search by plate, you might also find your car, if it was at a show or parked on the street and someone noticed it.

For obscure cars, last night I saw a 78 Nova and a 78 Monza - on a 1978 episode of The Price Is Right. I've been watching/listening to these on Youtube now and then, as had a thing for the show and game shows in general when I was a little kid (I took afternoon preschool so I could see TPiR in the morning, no joke), and the cars are amusing. That Nova and Monza weren't bad at all compared to some of the stuff in later years.
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,806
    I know the wide whitewalls are period correct yet I like the cleaner look of the narrower whitewalls. Were the narrow whitewall tires Michelin? I always liked the clean look Michelin had. They had their own distinctive look. It was something about how smooth and lack of embellishment the sidewalls had. I convinced dad to replace his BFGoodrich for Michelins on his Eldorado. They looked great, and rode wonderfully, no more vibration at 60+.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,502
    I am not going to be able to post pics from my computer because of the problem here but I can post from url's.

Photobucket was where I used to have pics hosted. Does anyone have other free places that will host pictures and are easily usable for uploading and linking?

I have jpg's I want to put up and can't.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

Fin, I like the blue better even though the black is kind of classic. Did you have it painted that nice shade of medium blue?
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,646

I am not going to be able to post pics from my computer because of the problem here but I can post from url's.

Photobucket was where I used to have pics hosted. Does anyone have other free places that will host pictures and are easily usable for uploading and linking?

I have jpg's I want to put up and can't.

For the same reason as you I opened an account at Imgbb.com and it seems to work OK. Ridiculous that we’re forced to do that, but whatever.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

MB switched to narrow band whitewalls late, for model year 1965. Wide whites are correct for my car, but narrow band is correct for later fintails.

The old tires were Les Schwab specials (I want to say "Dean Alpha") that cost ~$40 apiece in the late 90s. I ran them until early 2013, when they finally wore enough to justify replacement. The fintail has 13" wheels, which limits tire selection, especially these days.
    sda said:

I know the wide whitewalls are period correct yet I like the cleaner look of the narrower whitewalls. Were the narrow whitewall tires Michelin? I always liked the clean look Michelin had. They had their own distinctive look. It was something about how smooth and lack of embellishment the sidewalls had. I convinced dad to replace his BFGoodrich for Michelins on his Eldorado. They looked great, and rode wonderfully, no more vibration at 60+.

The color of the car is original, paint code DB334 ("hellblau" - "light blue", creative name). I think most cars were black or white, kind of like MBs today.
    berri said:

Fin, I like the blue better even though the black is kind of classic. Did you have it painted that nice shade of medium blue?

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,529
    edited July 8
    Thanks for posting that link, AB. I've been having issues with Photobucket lately, myself. I just opened a new account. Here's my first test... hopefully this works...

I took this pic a couple weeks ago, at my old place (which I still need to get off my butt and sell), when I swapped my Catalina for the NYer. Just noticed, you can sort of make out my Park Ave at my grandmother's place across the street. Which, we also need to unload. The car and the house.
    @ab348 @andre1969
    Thanks to both for the imgbb information.

Photobucket long ago blocked outside links and orphaned hundreds of pictures I had there. If I paid for a pro account, I could have used url links to them.

They have had several restructures of the site as I salvaged and deleted what pictures were there. The ones there had been downsized in quality when I downloaded them back to my local drive.

Recently I read that Photobucket had been bought by a company that owns lots of other stuff on the net. I found they would now allow outside linking. BUT I found they had blocked my account because I still had over 250 pics stored there. Apparently that's their limit for free accounts. But in the end apparently they lost enough "business" that it hurt when they suddenly blocked outside links and made links already posted around the web to the pics on their sites useless. LOL

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 13,003

The square wheel openings were something that was a 'trademark Chevy' styling thing on pickups, but I never liked that look on the 2014 and later ones.

As usual, I'm out-of-step with what's mainstream, but I think the new Silverados are the best-looking ones in a while, but supposedly they're not selling as well as even Rams.

I don't think it is the styling that is the issue. Interior design/comfort is #1, followed by drivetrain.
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup

But in the end apparently they lost enough "business" that it hurt when they suddenly blocked outside links and made links already posted around the web to the pics on their sites useless. LOL

Hey, cutting off your nose to spite your face is the thing to do these days! /cry

2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup

As usual, I'm out-of-step with what's mainstream, but I think the new Silverados are the best-looking ones in a while, but supposedly they're not selling as well as even Rams.

I don't care for the Silverado's overly-aggressive front ends, and all modern pickups suffer from being simply way too big. From what I have read, the Silverados suffer even more in the design of the interior. Strange how GM lost their leadership in interior design.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Recently I read that Photobucket had been bought by a company that owns lots of other stuff on the net. I found they would now allow outside linking. BUT I found they had blocked my account because I still had over 250 pics stored there. Apparently that's their limit for free accounts. But in the end apparently they lost enough "business" that it hurt when they suddenly blocked outside links and made links already posted around the web to the pics on their sites useless. LOL

Apparently image hosting isn't as lucrative as originally thought. Photobucket was a good site for a while and I had some pics there too. But I heard they were sold (to a Russian outfit maybe?) and they cut off linking to your photos from places like this. I was able to save the pics that were there at least, but people abandoned them in droves. The same thing is now happening to Flickr now that Yahoo sold it off. They have terms of service that prevent their accounts from hosting anything other than original photos, which would seem to limit their market. Imgbb seems OK for now, but who knows how long that will last.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,195
    I had seen this one driving around last week, but the wife wasn't quick enough with her phone to get a shot. Yesterday, we had to drop something of at a farmers market and there it was! 1961 International Harvester Metro van. Owner was telling me about how much work they put into restoring it, and "if I knew of anyone interested" he thinks it's worth $50K to $60K. Sounds a bit inflated to me, but as I have no appraisal expertise...

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

• texasestexases Posts: 8,887
    So it's an ice cream truck, with freezers, a generator, and the a/c on the roof? Might be worth that to somebody wanting to start that kind of business, I guess.
    What does a new ice cream truck cost? Start there, I guess.

Neat, but I think he's optimistic, good luck with sale.
    Ice cream truck, I'd want a white good Humor one personally
    With a bell!

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

PF_Flyer said:

I had seen this one driving around last week, but the wife wasn't quick enough with her phone to get a shot. Yesterday, we had to drop something of at a farmers market and there it was! 1961 International Harvester Metro van. Owner was telling me about how much work they put into restoring it, and "if I knew of anyone interested" he thinks it's worth $50K to $60K. Sounds a bit inflated to me, but as I have no appraisal expertise...

Looks amazing! I suspect the value is wildly optimistic, but I'm sure many folks will get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing it, which is worth a lot more (in the grand scheme of things) than a price tag.

A fellow I know bought an ice cream truck some years ago - it was a Chevy that looked similar in style to that Metro van, called a Step Van, that looked something like this:

It was restored and set up as an ice cream truck when he bought it, so it wasn't cheap, but he thought he would make some of it back by taking it to car shows and selling ice cream, along with selling it during the summer at various hot spots where people tended to go. He was disappointed to learn that the margins on ice cream would require him to sell more of it than he possibly could in order to turn a profit, so after a few years he sold it on and was glad to be done with it. It became more of a job than he wanted.

With a bell! ...and the canvass roof for the driver
    ab348 said:

A fellow I know bought an ice cream truck some years ago - it was a Chevy that looked similar in style to that Metro van, called a Step Van, that looked something like this

Union City Body Company built step vans for Chevrolet chassis from what I can find. I grew up near that town and wondered what happened to that company. It eventually became part of Utilimaster.
    https://www.trailer-bodybuilders.com/archive/union-city-body-company-plans-future-growth-new-management-philosophy

I used to see all the bare chassis being stored and run around the area of the plant when driving west from downtown Union City. Brought back memories of long ago.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,191

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,910
    70s or early 80s night. driving around, a 1st gen early Rx7, and getting gas, a Porsche 928. I don't think it was a later run car.

and discovered that someone in my daughter's new neighborhood likes old BMWs. they had an early 2002 (small bumper car) in blue, looked liked it was on a jack in the back. further back in the yard was was an earlish looking 320.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

Warmish nice day here, saw but two old cars - a 60s Fairlady roadster, the driver waved at me (I was in the fintail) and a ~70 Chevelle convertible, top down, from a distance. Kind of surprised there wasn't more out given the weather, but this place just doesn't seem to get into it. Saw a 60s-70s Manx style dune buggy on the road yesterday.
    Not running with the PA "classic car" plates, so this could be used as a daily driver

Edmunds Moderator

• thebeanthebean Parts UnknownPosts: 1,089
    Spotted a black on black Acura RL today. It’s really not a bad looking car, but there’s nothing to make you say “I want that!”. Wonder what the reliability is like?
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2017 Honda Civic EX-T
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,806
    thebean said:

Spotted a black on black Acura RL today. It’s really not a bad looking car, but there’s nothing to make you say “I want that!”. Wonder what the reliability is like?

My BIL had a 2005 or 06 RL that he bought CPO with 30k. He was a region manager and drove 4K a month. The car served him well, minimal repairs. He gave it to his sons for their car to use at college. Last year at 325k the check engine light came on though it was running fine. He decided to cut bait and bought a used Sonata for the boys to use.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav