Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,481
    PF_Flyer said:

berri said:

PF, If you haven't done it before, make sure you take the shuttle over to the presidential aircraft display. Very neat.

We did the shuttle over before, but the Presidential and Experimental stuff is all in the 4th hanger now. No more running to sign up for the shuttle! If you haven't been since the 4th hanger opened, you NEED to go!
    I live relatively near the museum. I haven't been there for at least 3 years.
    Sounds like I need to take a super hot day with high humidity and go spend time there
    in the air conditioned hangers.

The license plates on the cars in the parking are interesting. So many travel from so far.
    I take it for granted because it's close. There are school kids in the area who have never
    been there unless they have a field trip.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,899
    Chevy had a "Confederate" which probably sold well in some areas.

Made up names like "Corolla" might qualify.
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,665
    Dynasty was always a weird one to me

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

• omarmanomarman Posts: 1,762
    Aztek was an odd choice for Pontiac.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,857
    I like that Aztec. Nice color and monochrome!

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,184
    Maybe it's the Aztek's best side showing :)

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,715
    Did someone key the doors on that Aztek?
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    Maybe a reflection. Doug thinks it is becoming "sorta cool."

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,232
    RE.: Dictator as an 'interesting' name....

No big surprises why in '38 that name was replaced by 'Commander', which, except for 1959-63, was used to the end of production in '66.

RE.: That Aztek--looks pretty docile by today's weirdo standards. There are Nissan vehicles that look far-more egregious to my eyes. I agree that this car is a good color and the monochrome look helps greatly.
    Out in podunk now, so far have seen an 84-85 Tempo sedan, and a ~03 Camry 5-speed.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,996
    Podunk is a nice place to be.
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    I like the housing prices and lack of traffic, also plenty of good food (and you can see it in the locals). Oddball old csrs hanging out are icing on the cake.

I don't like the depressing economy and local drug/social issues that are likely just as bad per capita as any metro area.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,996
    True about the drug abuse. It is sad how much people prefer that route of escapism. However, like you say, one will find it anywhere, so rural still wins for me because I don't need to deal with people unless I want to deal with them.
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    edited July 19
    Rural wins for me, not only for cost of living but geographical beauty, but I can't talk my wife into retiring to my old hometown. There's no Target there, LOL.

I find it annoying, only personally, how the consensus is that everybody who prefers small-town or country living is a stupid Neanderthal. I find the people much-more friendly overall, but then I still know more people where I grew up than I do in suburbia where I've lived since 1980, LOL.

There are drugs in my old hometown, but the police department there has made some pretty major arrests of late which is a good thing.

Where I live now, I experienced two weird things when I went to my favorite pizza joint and got two slices to eat on their bench out front, the other early-evening. I thought I saw a head pop up out of an open dumpster near there for a second. I then went to the tiny bakery in the same small shopping center, bought a dollar cookie and had to pay with a $20. I got $19 in change in all ones from the lady there, LOL. Then, I decided to look in that dumpster. There was a guy sitting in there looking through newspaper coupons. And I live in a city of probably 30K or more where there is the second-largest state university in Ohio.
    Similar to Columbus except I still get change in Sacagawea coins. And if you see a head pop out of a dumpster it may not necessarily be attached to anything.

Rural is good because everybody knows you and your business. Which may not always be so good. :)
    My daughter and son-in-law live in Hilliard. You get used to it I'm sure, but whenever I'm down there my blood pressure goes way up driving around there.
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,803
    When we moved to our current home 15 years ago, one of the main attractions was the rural feel and lack of congestion. There were working farms, fields with crops of corn , wheat, horse farms, etc. Much of that has given way to neighborhoods, apartments, strip malls and we’ve gained the congestion and all that goes with it in the name of progress. Nope.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 116,982
    edited July 19
    We, too, live in the distant suburbs of Denver. Some horse property, still, but lots of development of new houses and retail.

Before that, we lived in a bedroom community about 30 miles south of Denver. Slightly slower pace, but it, too, was consumed by the development bug.

Population almost doubled in the 15 years we lived there. Roads couldn't be widened to handle the extra traffic.

I just finished an excellent book, "The Future of Capitalism", and one of the topics covered was the growing divide between urban and rural living, both in the US and the UK, and what could be done about it.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• berriberri Posts: 10,047
    When areas quickly expand it seems good on first thought. It will boost your home's value. Then reality hits, congestion and tax increases fueling increased cost of living. Often real estate developers push infrastructure costs up for the community and its tax base. Their tax loopholes and incentives can be outrageous.
    If only there were jobs out here - unless you are public sector, a doctor/lawyer professional (and only so many of those openings given the population base), or have a family business, you are mostly SOL. The winter weather is also much more dreary than the Seattle rat race, but a 250K house here would be 1.5MM in the city and property taxes are even lower than the relatively low rates in the metro area, so there's that. Hell of a commute though, could be 4 or more hours each way during the rainy season. I think a small city rather than smallish town may be better, more opportunity.

This and similar areas may grow in the future as cash-strapped retirees look for cheaper living costs, but the jobs servicing them might not be the best either, corporate managed caretakers.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,614
    edited July 19
    I know even when I was there 15 years ago Eastern Washington gave me an odd vibe. I stopped for a bit in Yakima and did not like it at all as it had a very strange feel, and overnighted in Richland which was only slightly better. I visited a couple of wineries which were not in communities but instead just spots on the map and they were fine. But unless you like being in the middle of nowhere there isn't much in a lot of that area other than tumbleweeds.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Yakima has a pretty rough side, and the Tri-Cities are sometimes not much better. They have nice pockets, but it's awfully dry and dusty there sometimes, and maybe not a lot of opportunity either in terms of a job with a good salary. I spent a bit of my childhood in a smaller town in the Columbia Basin, with the same pros and cons. It wasn't a bad place for kids, but some of the social isssues haven't improved with time, and there's no surplus of decent wage jobs.

An old school friend of mine lives in the Tri-Cities. He put in some years in the rat race, and then his wife got a job at Hanford, and he can work remotely, so they moved. They have a mcmansion on acreage that would cost millions in the city, and I think he put less than 400K into it. Location location though, although maybe not a bad place to raise kids. On a car note, he's the guy with the Monte Carlo fixation, and has the 85 SS slumbering in his garage waiting for renovation.

Spokane on the other hand, I'd probably be willing to do that for the right situation. I think there might be some potential there, living costs aren't bad, and there is some nice old housing stock for a fraction of Puget Sound prices. The climate isn't as extreme, and transportation out of the area is easy. If my employer relocated there and I had a similar salary, I'd take the move no problem.
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,665
    I liked Spokane when I was there many years ago. Seattle was nice too, but suffers from the same things that all major cities do.

I'll most likely be in Seattle in Feb 2020 for a conference.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,388
    Saw a black PT Cruizer convertible. Quite the hunchback approaching from the rear view.
    I'm a suburb kid. Like proximity to the city (NYC growing up, Boston now), but don't make it too close...

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

Looks like a VW Club is driving through the area, saw at least a dozen Microbus in about a minute a while back, along with numerous Ghias and Beetles.
  • berriberri Posts: 10,047
    Spokane will give you a summer temp adjustment Fin B)

On a busy Interstate like I-5 I don't think many cops are going to risk their lives for a small fine 10 mph over. More and more police are losing their lives to bad or inattentive drivers along Interstates.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 2,021
    fintail said:

Looks like a VW Club is driving through the area, saw at least a dozen Microbus in about a minute a while back, along with numerous Ghias and Beetles.

Hey Fin, inquiring minds want to know; is 'Microbus' like 'Fox' in that it is both singular and plural? That would amuse me.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,189
    My county has grown up quite a bit but luckily my property will remain isolated.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

I can deal with it, I spent time in a warmer area when I was a kid. Ice storms would concern me more, they had a doozie about 20 years ago.

The speedtrap was on a semi-rural state highway - 5 was too dense to allow for much real speeding.

berri said:

Spokane will give you a summer temp adjustment Fin B)

On a busy Interstate like I-5 I don't think many cops are going to risk their lives for a small fine 10 mph over. More and more police are losing their lives to bad or inattentive drivers along Interstates.

Not sure, but sounds good to me.

Drove by the little used car lot here that often has an odd car or two. Today they have a 57 Ranchero, ~72 Camaro, bright yellow 80s style hot rod ~38 Chevy, and a bunch of ordinary cars. Also saw a Ford Aspire on the road, what a goofy name that was.
    bhill2 said:

Hey Fin, inquiring minds want to know; is 'Microbus' like 'Fox' in that it is both singular and plural? That would amuse me.