Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,517
    edited July 22
    sda said:

What was the reason or appeal for the blue dot tail lights?

Cool factor. They looked different from behind when the brakes were applied because the combination of the blue with the red was a purple effect. The color made the taillights stand out.

The trend matched the dice hanging from the mirror and the red bulbs for the interior lighting that was an occasionally popular thing to have in a car in the 50s and early 60s.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• berriberri Posts: 10,072
    Just a fad like necker knobs, curb feelers, painted flames or fuzzy dice back then
  • omarmanomarman Posts: 1,766
    Michaell said:

sda said:

What was the reason or appeal for the blue dot tail lights?

K-Mart company car?
    That would be special! The only specific purpose or "reason" I've ever heard for the blue dot tail lights was for making brighter brake and back up lights on vintage cars like Cadillac, Lincoln and Packard.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,202
    I have been glued to a lot of the coverage the past few days just as much as I was at the time :)

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,687
    I watched the CNN Films retrospective on the weekend and it was the best of those I've seen. Original NASA footage cleaned up so that it looked new. No actors recreating scenes like in the disappointing PBS equivalent. I'm sure they'll re-run it, worth a look.

When you think about what they accomplished given the level of tech and science at the time, and how any one thing going wrong could have not only wrecked the mission but quite possibly killed all of them, it really was incredible, something I did not fully appreciate at the time.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

I saw the CNN film as well. It was fantastic

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,248
    We were on vacation to D.C. on July 20, 1969, staying in the Bethesda Motor Inn. I remember watching the TV coverage. I was more besotted with an enormous, multi-story Chevy dealer showroom directly across the street, but couldn't get Dad to go look there. It was called "Chevy Chase Chevrolet", with that written on the building in mid-fifties Chevrolet script font.

We were on vacation to D.C. on July 20, 1969, staying in the Bethesda Motor Inn. I remember watching the TV coverage. I was more besotted with an enormous, multi-story Chevy dealer showroom directly across the street, but couldn't get Dad to go look there. It was called "Chevy Chase Chevrolet", with that written on the building in mid-fifties Chevrolet script font.

Now THAT's a car guy! ;)

This place?

Edmunds Moderator

And today

Edmunds Moderator

Wow, @PF_Flyer , I just spent some time looking for a photo of that place but that one never popped up. Good sleuthing.

Probably just as well though, since the inferior pic I found was one I could not post since the pulldown was non-responsive again. :(

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,969
    edited July 22
    I visited with my mom over the weekend, and the Moon Landing came up - I asked her where she was, and then rubbed in that it was "a half century ago" B)

She remembered it, she was at a fair in Walla Walla, didn't watch it on TV but remembers hearing about it everywhere. At the time she was driving a 61 Impala convertible, white on red, which would be replaced in 1970 by a new Beetle. My dad had a light yellow 67 Galaxie convertible at the time.
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,815
    We went to a friend’s house to watch the Moon Landing. I was 9. They had a larger TV and it was color. Dad begrudgingly bought a Zenith console color TV in ‘71, and our black and white that was on a cart with rollers was put in the study. Mom was driving her 63 Olds Dynamic 88 Holiday coupe, and dad had a 66 Galaxie 500 sedan as his company car.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 13,020
    I love the memories. Thanks, guys!

We had a Zenith console TV when I was a kid. Color, seems like it took about five minutes to warm up. It had a turn table on one side with storage for 33s, and a stereo on the other with 8-track (and storage for such) on the other. Good old days?

When our other 70s-era 19" television, our "main TV," finally gave up the ghost in 1991, my father replaced it with a 27" Magnavox. That set seemed like such a revelation at the time! I recall my TV time increasing dramatically in concert with that acquisition. :(
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    I remember the early Zenith remote control TV's with the "clickers" because they made a clicking sound when used. Zenith was an upscale brand.

As I recall, Chevy Chase, MD was (or may still be) considered a more upscale town, so it is kind of funny to see that big, rather upscale Chevy dealership back in those days. You'd have thought it should be a Buick or Cadillac dealer.

The moon landing; I was a cadet at summer training. They brought an extra TV into one of the day rooms. Pretty impressive accomplishment for the days that spurned a bunch of new technological gains.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 PennsylvaniaPosts: 1,369
    Saw this at the grocery store, very clean. I appreciate the simplicity of this design, especially in light of some of the current offerings. *cough Chevy *cough*

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5SL - 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    edited July 22
    Heh, TVs of my youth. I was born in ‘56 and my early memories are of an old ‘50s GE tabletop set from the early ‘50s most likely, which wouldn’t work half the time, and a tallish larger floor model (might have been a CBS) that we had until the mid-60s when the folks splurged on one of those large combo TV-stereo consoles. Ours was a DuMont! That served us until we got out first color set, a 25” RCA with a metal wood grain cabinet, in the early ‘70s. We also had a mid-60s Westinghouse 19” portable B&W set that lived in a bedroom on a wheeled cart (useful things but likely made obsolete when cable arrived) which got lugged to our cottage on weekends.

Old TV's and stereo's - sticky tuner problems, tubes burning out, and antenna's sometimes needing an extra kick with some carefully placed aluminum foil :'(
    That Ford truck--the bed is from a different generation than the cab.

That is DEFINITELY the dealer as I remember it, and it was smack across-the-street from the Bethesda Motor Inn, which I'm thinking would probably no longer be there (local motel and pool). I find it sad that the place isn't a Chevy dealer anymore, sigh. I want to say the town is Bethesda since the motel was called that. I remember walking to a place to eat with my parents that looked like a Howard Johnsons' but it was called "Hot Shoppes".
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,735
    @pensfan83,
    Looks a lot like a truck I once owned.

2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    ab348 said:

Wow, @PF_Flyer , I just spent some time looking for a photo of that place but that one never popped up. Good sleuthing.

Probably just as well though, since the inferior pic I found was one I could not post since the pulldown was non-responsive again. :(

I landed in an article from 5 years ago that was about their 75th year in business. Had a whole bunch of photos over the years

Edmunds Moderator

That Ford truck--the bed is from a different generation than the cab.

That is DEFINITELY the dealer as I remember it, and it was smack across-the-street from the Bethesda Motor Inn, which I'm thinking would probably no longer be there (local motel and pool). I find it sad that the place isn't a Chevy dealer anymore, sigh. I want to say the town is Bethesda since the motel was called that. I remember walking to a place to eat with my parents that looked like a Howard Johnsons' but it was called "Hot Shoppes".

We used to go down to DC all the time from from northern NJ when I was a kid. I am VERY familiar with Hot Shoppes :)

Edmunds Moderator

IIRC the Hot Shoppes in the D.C. area were the seed from which the Marriott hotel chain sprouted.

Hot Shoppes did have that HoJo mojo

Edmunds Moderator

• omarmanomarman Posts: 1,766
    Spotted on the far north side Columbus a late 80s Bronco in the lunch time traffic mix. Looked stock in white and had a mild exhaust burble. Nice truck and looked well kept.

Was looking for a pic online similar to the one I saw but got distracted by this thing instead:
    1974 Ford Bronco Woody
    Must be Drive Your Oddball to the Gym month here :)

Not a "classic" license plate, but a 1958 "vintage plate

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,735
    Maybe that LR got pushed there as a warmup. :)
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    Thanks for confirming my memory of "Hot Shoppes" and Chevy Chase Chevrolet. Somewhere in the house there's a color photo of 11-year-old me and my parents in front of the pool with Chevy Chase Chevrolet in the background. We're in our bathing suits and it's not pretty!

The pic above looks like '67-model Chevys in the showroom.

I also remember a place around the corner and down a hill called "Stan's Tastee Diner" where we ate breakfast. I'll have to Google that.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,536
    I was sitting next to an Olds Intrigue at a traffic light this morning. Alas, it was not in the most flattering of positions...

I have a feeling it was being towed off to be junked. The base of the back seat had been pulled up, the result of a scavenge for loose change and other trinkets. I've noticed that this is usually a sign that a car is about to head off to its final resting place.
    My buddy up-country finally sold off his 2002 Intrigue GLX that he bought as a dealer demo in the fall of that year. He had taken scrupulous care of it and it had a little over 100K miles. He dealt with the usual problem areas like wheel bearings and ABS sensors but really had few issues considering the length of ownership and the mileage. Finally one of his front coil springs broke and the end poked out, wearing into the tire and causing a blowout. Further investigation revealed some considerable rust in that area and he decided it was time. He sold it to a local who said he was going to fix it up. Yeah, suuure.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,536
    On the subject of ABS sensors, my '03 Regal LS has been pulling a few tricks lately...I wonder if it's similar to your friend's Intrigue? Sometimes when I start the car, two or three idiot lights refuse to shut off. One is an ABS light, and I think the other is "Traction Control" and I forget what the other one is. But, after I turn it off and back on again, it usually turns itself off.

Another little trick it's been pulling, is with the dual zone a/c. Sometimes, the passenger side will start blowing hot air, even though I have it set to a/c, and both sides set as cold as they'll get. Usually, turning it off and on again, and flipping the two temperature levers all the way to hot and then back to cold again will cause it to fix itself.

Still, I can't fault the car, considering it's now 17 years old (build date 6/02). Mileage isn't particularly high, at around 89,000, but these days I think old age is more of a problem than it used to be on cars, even when they're well-maintained, simply because of all the plastics and electronics in them.