Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 48,072
    "I' m just fixing the..uh...license plate here"

Notice the AMC Eagle is probably the "Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon" Clark originally ordered.

There are reproductions of that Lou Glutz license plate available online - if my state didn't have front plates, it would be somewhat tempting to have one.
    omarman said:

You love that which you serve, Clark.

Family. Quest. Moose.

• omarmanomarman Posts: 1,805
    Notice the AMC Eagle is probably the "Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon" Clark originally ordered.

Lol! My favorite movies seem to have funny details which I never noticed the first time around.
    The Sinclair DINO unleaded gas pump is another good fit for this scene.
    I suspect a lot of that was the work of John Hughes - I have no doubt he was the car casting chief of his films, as so many of them have expertly chosen vehicles.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 4,513

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,433

Went with daughter and her boyfriend to the smallish (650 seat) concert venue in our city last night to see a free screening of "Taking Woodstock", an Ang Lee movie from about a decade ago. Not a great movie but I had to admit, I did not see a single car or truck in that film that was newer than a 1969 model. I usually notice that kind of thing in every 'period' movie. I read today that Ang Lee is a real stickler for historical accuracy in his projects.

Speaking of Woodstock, I'm seeing David Crosby there Tuesday night. I'm in a mindset of wanting to see my favorite artists one last time before they stop touring. So far I've seen Art Garfunkel, Judy Collins, and Al Stewart in the past year or so and the last two were at this theater right in my town.

Went to see David Crosby last month, after four songs he took ill, concert ended. Audience was told they woud be notified of a make-up, have heard nothing so far. Hopefully, you'll get a full show!

Steve Miller put on a nice show here.

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,552
    omarman said:

Lol! My favorite movies seem to have funny details which I never noticed the first time around.
    The Sinclair DINO unleaded gas pump is another good fit for this scene.

I've lost track of how many times I've seen this movie, but I think this was the first time I noticed the "DINO" on the pump. Heck, I recorded the movie when it came on "CBS Tuesday Night at the Movies" or whatever back in 1984 or 85. I'm sure that old VHS tape is still packed away, somewhere...now, just to find a VCR...

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,854
    fintail said:

"I' m just fixing the..uh...license plate here"

There are reproductions of that Lou Glutz license plate available online - if my state didn't have front plates, it would be somewhat tempting to have one.

omarman said:

You love that which you serve, Clark.

Family. Quest. Moose.

That one is cool but I’d probably go for this one

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,276
    edited August 18
    Went to see David Crosby last month, after four songs he took ill, concert ended. Audience was told they woud be notified of a make-up, have heard nothing so far. Hopefully, you'll get a full show!

I remember reading that. A classmate sent me a review of his recent NYC show, titled "Crosby 2.0 Knocks It Out Of The Park". He played our small local theater probably six months ago and I didn't go as didn't want to spend the money. I read good reviews and decided just to do it this time. Going solo, as wife says "For $80 his 'and friends' better be Crosby, Stills, and Nash!".

I've always liked the folkies and songwriters and second-or-third-tier artists. Steve Miller would never play this theater. But I love that it's a mile from my house, I park on the street for free, can slip out a side door after the show, and I'm in my garage in five minutes.

Al Stewart blew me away. Had always wanted to see him but wife didn't so went solo. A songwriter who writes about historic events! His band was a rocking band too, believe it or not. I'd put him at probably my favorite show of all after Carly Simon (super rare) and one or two of Judy Collins' shows from way back. Wife dragged me to Herb Alpert at this theater a couple years back and I was sort-of a snob going into it, but his was a great show too, with his wife Lani Hall from 'Brasil '66'.

I'm so enjoying the small venue, even though the place is essentially dumpy (old movie theater), and I'm so tired of big venues that require a screen to see the artist, or even those 5,000-seat places.
    David Crosby (and Marshall Tucker Band) we saw at a similar, smaller venue in Beverly, MA. Parking is in lcal lots, think I had to throw a quarter in the meter.
    Steve Miller (and Moody Blues) played at an outdoor venue on the South Boston waterfront, lucky that we had perfect weather for both! And free indoor parking, thanks to "VIP" tickets supplied by the GF's company. If only they paid for dinner before, too...

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• berriberri Posts: 10,138
    You are so lucky when you can see a small venue concert. The bigger venues are more about people yelling and dancing, trying to relive their youth. David Crosby is very talented, but loathed by many of his former cohorts. The Byrds were very much ahead of their time, and Crosby Stills Nash (and sometimes Young) were very innovative for rock music.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,276
    I've seen Crosby over the years live, in their various iterations. There is a documentary out there now about him called "Remember My Name", playing at the artsy-fartsy theater in Cleveland. I'd like to see it.

I had initially heard someplace that Crosby was unhappy with Nash leaving his decades-long wife for someone half her age fairly recently, but there's gotta be more to it since none of the other three talk to him.

Nash certainly seems the healthiest of all four, but I considered him the lightest-weight writer of all of them.

I've read that Crosby has been pretty prolific the past few years in writing and recording quality stuff, and still sounds good. Even by myself, I'm looking forward to it.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,744
    @benjaminh,
    All those gorgeous pictures of those clean cars make me feel guilty for not washing my truck.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,921
    Saw a Pug 205 GTI outside the Starbucks today, can't be many around here.
    That one might actually still be culturally relevant.

On the Vacation theme, this one would be amusing:

Hughes was really into personalized plates,too.
    tjc78 said:

• berriberri Posts: 10,138
    Graham Nash was more a "voice". Funny you mention him because he is the other performer people seem to elude to as causing CSN to break up. He apparently had some issues previously when he was part of the Hollies as well. I've read that Crosby had little patience or tolerance toward others. Might be because he was just so talented as a writer and musician that his standards were very high.
    edited August 18
    fintail said:

That one might actually still be culturally relevant.

On the Vacation theme, this one would be amusing:

Hughes was really into personalized plates,too.

tjc78 said:

That’s a good one too

“Clark, You’re doing 85 MPH

Doesn’t feel like it does it honey

SLOW DOWN”

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

Those dark days of 55, but I suppose the Truckster was comfy at that speed, even with the irritating squeak you'll notice at certain points in the film.

Here's another good plate - I wish the BMW used in these scenes would have been visible (I don't recall it anyway):

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,858
    I just flicked past Seattle TV news to encounter a story about a ‘67 Chevelle (looked restored) that fell off the flatbed truck that was transporting it on the highway and was heavily damaged. Truck driver ticketed for carrying an unsecured load. Ouch.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• stickguystickguy Posts: 33,314
    a couple miles from my house, someone has their old car for sale at the end of the driveway. Looks to be about a 65. Nova 2 door. Looked very nice. Dark gray paint, on cragers. did not get a real good look at it, and no clue about details. But it was sharp, and I liked it!

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

benjaminh said:

My Uncle has one of those. Gorgeous car

Here's the Chevelle

Years ago I saw a 58 Pontiac convertible in the small town where my mom lives, I think it had fuel injection.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,858
    The Twitter pics let you see that the Chevelle was a resto in progress, no windshield and no interior, and awaiting paint, so the hit isn’t as bad. But that buckled rear quarter panel is gonna be expensive.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

I'd imagine it might be done, not a rare car, so maybe at the same time, cheap to fix.

The fines and insurance will hurt a bit, too.
    edited August 19
    Every few days I play and half-watch an old episode ofThe Price Is Right via Youtube on the Fire Stick. I was really into the show when I was a little kid, and it can be fun to watch now for the old cars, old tech, clothing and hairstyles, music, commercials, prices, etc. I saw one this afternoon with quite a fetching downsized Malibu coupe: blue on white (starts at roughly 43:20):

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,610
    tjc78 said:

benjaminh said:

Is the car on the left a Studebaker or Packard?

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

Fin, I love watching the old game shows, Price is Right, Let's Make a Deal, Sale of the Century et al, precisely to see the fabulous cars (and clothes, hairstyles of the day) offered. It's fun to watch folks screaming in joy after winning a Vega, knowing not what lies ahead!

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 2,036

tjc78 said:

benjaminh said:

Is the car on the left a Studebaker or Packard?

Gotta be a Packard, the side trim is wrong for a Stude. But it's one of the Packardbaker years, however, so Stude is not far off.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])