Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,276
    edited August 19

Is the car on the left a Studebaker or Packard?

'57 Packard Clipper, supercharged. Those tend in the real world to bring more bucks than earlier-fifties "real" Packard Clipper sedans.

I like the low beltline and trim proportions of those cars, which of course wasn't considered a sales benefit in the late fifties, LOL.
    edited August 19
    fin, thanks for posting TPIR '78 Malibu Classic, which I've said here that I have a not-rational appreciation for! I love the white 50/50 bench seat in that car.

I knew a girl in college who in '80 or '81 bought a 16K mile same light metallic blue with white Landau top '78 Malibu Classic Landau coupe, those same wheelcovers, white bucket seats and console and the optional instrumentation I liked. Loved that car; lost track of her and the car. On those cars, the console met up with the instrument panel. Only Chevy and Pontiac were like that, I think.

That car can't be the actual car given, at $5,049.00. Hell, my friends' parents' '78 Malibu Classic 4-door sedan with V8, A/C, cruise, whitewalls, vinyl top was $6,600. I noticed when they were reading the options they said "Rally Wheels". The car pictured has the "Sport Wheel Covers".

When other guys my age wanted a Camaro, Corvette, or Datsun Z, I wanted one of these with the F-41 suspension. Hey, you could actually put something in the trunk and people in the back seat! Plus, at the time they were considered somewhat "new thinking". :)

Watching the clip again, they don't say "Malibu Classic", just "Malibu". Ah ha, no wonder just $5,049! Again, can't be the car shown. That seems a bit shady but probably done all the time back then.
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,854
    I thought the price seemed low... so cool seeing those old episodes.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,552
    edited August 19
    They don't say "Malibu Classic", but I'm pretty sure that's what that car is. That vinyl seat pattern looks like the Malibu Classics I remember from that era, plus it's a 50-50 split bench. I was thinking a Malibu Classic should have a stand up hood ornament, but I just looked at the 1978 brochure online, and the ones there didn't have it either. But they did have that bright trim around the wheel openings. It also looks like it has power windows. So yeah, I'm sure that car should be more than $5,049. Unless it's stripped down in other ways, perhaps, like just the standard 3.3 V-6, no a/c? I'm at work, so I didn't listen to it with the sound on so I didn't hear the options.

My Mom's 1980 Malibu coupe was around $6700 out the door, when it was new. It was just a regular, non-Classic. 229 V-6, which was thankfully made standard that year, automatic, power steering/brakes, a/c, AM/FM radio, rear window defrost, white walls, vinyl interior. Bench front seat. I think its base MSRP was around $5500. Of course, inflation was pretty rampant back then, so $5,000 in 1978 was NOT the same as $5,000 in 1980.

But, my grandparents bought a '75 Dart Swinger, 225 slant six, and Mom bought a '75 LeMans coupe with the 350-2bbl, and both of those were around $5,000. So I can't imagine that Malibu in '78, equipped like that, being that cheap. And, interestingly, a bigger engine usually didn't add too much to the price of a car in those days. Often, you could get a big engine for about the price of an 8-track.
    edited August 19
    I know the car is a Malibu Classic, but the car they describe, and priced, cannot be that car pictured.

When they rattle off the options, they don't say A/C, V8, or even radio, and they just say "Malibu", which I could believe for that $5,049 price. That car pictured has power windows too--that's a $7,000 car in '78.

My parents' '80 Monte Carlo, 229 V6, Rally Wheels, whitewalls, AM/FM radio and rear seat speaker, Custom Deluxe (colored) seat belts, tinted glass, Sport Mirrors, Exterior Decor Group which got you the belt moldings, rocker moldings, body side moldings, and painted pinstriping, and the Montes that year came standard with clock and F-41 suspension and 70-series tires, stickered at the bottom, after destination, at $7,070.00. No A/C. I had the sticker around here until a couple years ago.

You're right about inflation being quite rampant those years. In '79 was the first time I saw a Caprice Classic hit $10K sticker. At Clarion, where I went to college, one of the young guy detailers at the Chevy dealer (I know they didn't call it that then, LOL) ordered a new dark blue with white top Caprice Classic Landau, loaded with everything including power sunroof and I remember the sticker was $9,600. I wondered then, and now, how'd he pay for that, LOL. I remember he said he ordered it as a '77 and it came in a '78 at the beginning of the model year.

About the '79 Caprice Classic I saw at our hometown dealer for $10K, I can remember my Dad saying, "I never thought I'd see a $10K Chevy", LOL.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 48,072
    I thought the price seemed a tad low on that Malibu, too. There might have been some shenanigans at play, although I can't imagine them displaying one car and awarding another - maybe the announcer had the wrong invoice. I've noticed they often had sparsely optioned cars, especially as the show moved into the 80s and 90s - listed options would sometimes only be a radio or maybe AC if you were lucky. I call such cars "game show specials" - also kind of rental car spec. Very interesting to watch anyway, along with the $800 console 25" TVs, $500 microwaves, and $1000 VCRs.

In watching several of these, I noticed there was a batch of moderately equipped Novas or Buick siblings given away in 76-77, along with several late run Vegas, and a Chevette would pop up here and there along with a Monza or sibling. Seldom anything higher than a Malibu. Now and then something would appear, like a Cadillac, Jaguar, Mercedes. Japanese cars seemed to make their arrival on TPiR around 1980-81, Mazdas and Datsuns. Here's another 1978 episode featuring both a Monza and a then-new MB W123, and amusing clothing all-round:

I notice that pretty Packardbaker has 1963 issue WA plates, but with a month decal, never noticed anything like that before, I'd be interested to see the rear plate to see if those are period issued plates kept on the car, or were we-registered.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,858
    That '78 TPIR Malibu is a really pretty combo as Bill noted. Cannot beat a white interior on a light-colored car like that! I also found the price ridiculously low. That show was when Bob Barker was still using hair dye, and before Janice Pennington, the car presenter, was unceremoniously fired, leaving under bad terms with Barker and the producers. Show biz!!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• stickguystickguy Posts: 33,314
    I forgot how hyper bob was in the early days

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

You know, he handled the affair thing the right way--he 'fessed right up. I can't remember if that was with Janice, or Janice was the one he bullied about gaining weight.

But on the affair, I remember he admitted it, said she had told him he needed "excitement in his life", and he said, "I didn't need THAT kind of excitement!". This was after his longtime wife Dorothy had passed. And the story largely blew away.

About the '79 Caprice Classic I saw at our hometown dealer for $10K, I can remember my Dad saying, "I never thought I'd see a $10K Chevy", LOL.

Yeah, that is crazy. On the surface, that sounds like Electra/Ninety-Eight/New Yorker territory! But, I think even by '79, air conditioning was still technically an option on those cars, even though it was probably ordered on just about every single one.

FWIW, I remember going into a Dodge dealer in 1993, and looking at an Intrepid that had in the showroom. At that time, I remember thinking good lord, who would've ever thought the day would come when you'd see a $25,000 Dodge!

You know, he handled the affair thing the right way--he 'fessed right up. I can't remember if that was with Janice, or Janice was the one he bullied about gaining weight.

But on the affair, I remember he admitted it, said she had told him he needed "excitement in his life", and he said, "I didn't need THAT kind of excitement!". This was after his longtime wife Dorothy had passed. And the story largely blew away.

His affair was with Dian Parkinson, who joined the show after a few years to join Janice (who I think was one of the originals, along with Anitra Ford, who departed). The one who got dumped for weight gain was the very cute Holly Hallstrom. I watched this show almost daily when I was in university.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

edited August 19
    Super low-mileage Cutlass Supreme Colonnade Sedan. I think Chevy called that color "Green Gold", but I'm going from memory. Odd to have small hubcaps and no body side molding on a Supreme; my guess is that it was ordered and the purchasers didn't want that "extra stuff", or the salesman did a poor job of selling full wheelcovers and side moldings or realizing they were not standard-- probably 90% of this model had those items.

I'm a bit surprised full wheelcovers weren't standard on a Supreme--they were on a '73 Chevelle Laguna, that I know. The green wheel on the spare to me substantiates that that's the way this car was built. (Full wheelcover cars from GM in this period came with black wheels.)

I think that interior is beautiful and surpasses a Laguna that year for sure.

https://duluth.craigslist.org/cto/d/duluth-1973-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme/6957723325.html
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,921
    All that glass, no a/c - you could bake a cake in it down here!
    Good catch, on the no a/c. I didn't even notice that. Interestingly, the dash still appears to have four in-dash vents, unless my eyesight's going. I think with the Chevelle/Monte Carlo, if you didn't get a/c, they put cover plates over two of them?
    That '73 Cutlass shows further evidence of GM cost-cutting. I blew up the pic as much as I could and see no evidence of this ever having inner fender splash shields to protect the engine compartment from water, slush and mud. And it looks as though there was no trunk mat either. '72 models had those things.

Salesman should have ordered wheel covers for sure given that the entry-level versions were usually pretty cheap. The interior looks pretty nice though the light beige color does little for me.

According to the brochure I just looked at the paint color would have been either Emerald Green or Moss Gold.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,610
    If you like seeing classic cars and trucks being driven or parked, this video is an attempt to capture the cruisin' strip flavor. Muncie IN used to have a cruising strip of several miles. Stick a GoPro type camera on and drive on.

A group revived the cruising last summer once a month on Saturdays, recruiting partly on facebook.

The traffic on the road isn't there because one of the highways bypassed town. The drivers aren't as young as in the last century. But enjoy seeing some classics. Check the parking lots where folks park and enjoy watching others go by.

Detroit has its Woodward Cruise once a year and Muncie has its Madison Street Cruise. Yes, I plan to go over one Saturday night. I had access to my car and going to McDonalds on Madison was a treat to get away from studying.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

No cruising grounds like that in these parts.

Nice brocade in that Olds. It would look good on period Olds rally wheels, too.
    I wonder if one of those vents was a 'dummy' chromed up to look like a real vent.

Chevelles and Monte Carlos in '73 with no air only had two long, chromed vents just to the right of the center of the dash. The Monte had a cubby hole in the dash where the left-most A/C vent would be; Chevelles had this area filled in with hard, crinkle-cut black plastic. No A/C cars had no filler block where the rightmost A/C vent would be; cars received their own instrument panel pad with no cutout for the vents there.
    edited August 19
    RE.: cruising...my old hometown is having a driving cruise starting on one end of town, going through town and back up to the starting place, then repeat... as is being promoted...."just like we used to do". I did in fact do that with my Dad's '74 Impala Sport Coupe there years back. I can't make it over there as I am moving my daughter to California this coming Friday. My first drive cross-country...not on Route 66 in a Corvette as I'd hoped, but in a rental Ford Edge while she and her boyfriend drive her Cruze.

First night St. Louis; second Amarillo; third Kingman, AZ, then San Luis Obispo. I'm a bit concerned about the whole thing but afterwards I'm sure I'll have considered it an adventure. Dropping the rental off out there (ouch) and flying back, so I don't spend every waking moment of a week off from work and the leading and ending weekends, driving by myself.
    AC? What, were you all a bunch of rich kids? Our Volvo didn't even have power steering! Or brakes. Or an Automatic. But it did have 4 wheel disk brakes!

Come to think of it, it did absolutely nothing to help you drive along. It was muscle power, or nothing!

Darn, I loved that car!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,744
    A couple of box 80's Volvo's(240?), both in nice shape.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    stickguy said:

AC? What, were you all a bunch of rich kids? Our Volvo didn't even have power steering! Or brakes. Or an Automatic. But it did have 4 wheel disk brakes!

How well did that Volvo brake, with no assist? Did it take a lot of effort? I was always under the impression that, once disc brakes became more common, a power assist was almost mandatory. At least, with the cars I've owned, when one would stall out, once the boost was gone, you had to really stand on them to make them stop. But, I also had a '67 Newport, with non-power drum brakes, and it was no big deal. In fact, it had been owned by a little old lady before me, since 1971, and she didn't have any trouble handling that big beast...so that was in indication to me, at least, that if you just had drum brakes, a power assist was nice to have, but not really essential.

I've never had a car without power steering, but I've had cars with broken power steering, which is actually worse! Good arm workout, though.
    Our '73 Volvo had 4-wheel discs, but it had a power booster from the factory. Maybe earlier ones didn't? No power steering though, but it wasn't bad.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 121,524

RE.: cruising...my old hometown is having a driving cruise starting on one end of town, going through town and back up to the starting place, then repeat... as is being promoted...."just like we used to do". I did in fact do that with my Dad's '74 Impala Sport Coupe there years back. I can't make it over there as I am moving my daughter to California this coming Friday. My first drive cross-country...not on Route 66 in a Corvette as I'd hoped, but in a rental Ford Edge while she and her boyfriend drive her Cruze.

First night St. Louis; second Amarillo; third Kingman, AZ, then San Luis Obispo. I'm a bit concerned about the whole thing but afterwards I'm sure I'll have considered it an adventure. Dropping the rental off out there (ouch) and flying back, so I don't spend every waking moment of a week off from work and the leading and ending weekends, driving by myself.

sounds like a great time; SLO is a great little town. Let us know your thoughts on both the Edge and the scenery.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

from what I remember, they worked great, just took a firm push. Which was only a problem when I drove a domestic with pinkie toe assist, and I used the same firm foot. But when you were used to the volvo it was fine, and great feel. Squealed like crazy though. But that came in handy because the turn into our street was off a downhill so needed a firm push, so we always heard my parents coming home well before they hit the driveway. Just in case that was important!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,744
    @uplanderguy,
    You are going to buy a lot of stuff out there?
    Can't fit a lot of furniture in an Edge or Cruze.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 4,513
    edited August 19

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • berriberri Posts: 10,138
    Some long days, but I like driving out west. And Michaell is right about SLO. Kingman has a nice little Route 66 museum. You don't have time, but one of the best preserved stretches of the Old RT 66 kind of follows I-40 a bit north of it from Williams to Kingman. Enjoy the trip!
    Thanks everybody.

We are indeed buying a bed out there, but she knows, as we've made it known, she will be living frugally while there.
    The low option 68 Fairlane my dad had in the 90s (289, 3 on the tree, manual steering, manual brakes, dog dish caps, but it had an AM radio!) could be a chore to drive, especially in low speed parking maneuvers. Once going maybe 20 mph it wasn't too bad, but it was not my favorite car to drive.
    andre1969 said:

I've never had a car without power steering, but I've had cars with broken power steering, which is actually worse! Good arm workout, though.